FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Weight/Muscle Gain Tips

Weight/Muscle Gain Tips

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hey guys,

First of all I'm 6'2 and 14 stone and I struggle to gain weight. I'm pretty toned and I don't do much cardio at the gym as I play football.

Can anyone recommend any weight gaining products that work or even any diet tips???

Thanks in advance..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Chocolate and has always worked for me in the past. (sorry Im hijacking your thread with silliness but i just couldnt help it)

If only it was that easy!!

By *slandcplCouple  over a year ago

canvey island

"Hey guys,

First of all I'm 6'2 and 14 stone and I struggle to gain weight. I'm pretty toned and I don't do much cardio at the gym as I play football.

Can anyone recommend any weight gaining products that work or even any diet tips???

Thanks in advance.."

Eat five times a day say every 2 to 2 1/2 hours and eat small meals. the evening meal can be slightly larger but not to big with a small amount of protein in each meal. Before you go out and get whey products try using skimmed milk powder as a supplement as it has almost all the same properties. A great way to use this is with a banana, banana milk drink flavouring such as nesquik and semi skimmed milk. Wiz it all up in a processor and you have a great drink.

Hope this helps

Cheers mate thanks for the tips

get a nose bag .....

Maybe I could borrow yours???

Im writing this as someone who is entering his first bodybuilding competition in June so have some experience of training and nutrition.

First of all, DO NOT use skimmed milk powder in place of whey protein. The characteristics are completely different.

Skimmed milk powder will be about 36% protein and around 50%carbs (sugars) - this is no good at all for putting on muscle. A good unflavoured protein powder will be 80% protein and less than 10% sugar.

You want about 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight per day to be putting on muscle. Protein shakes are a good easy source, chicken and oily fish (salmon, trout etc) are even better. Try and avoid processed sugars as your source of carbs - Sweet potato, wholewheat pasta etc is really good.

The response of smaller regular meals is a really good tip - I currently have 6 or 7 meals a day and train weights 4 or 5 times per week.

To put muscle on, you need to make sure you consume more calories than you expend - but making sure your calories are clean good calories!

Cheers for the tips and good luck with the body building.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth at times, is there any foods you would recommend to snack on??

"Cheers for the tips and good luck with the body building.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth at times, is there any foods you would recommend to snack on??"

Im the same, I love Haribo and anything with the word cake in it! Cottage cheese with pineapple can hit the spot, Quark on a rice cake is nice when you are being ultra strict. Or why not combine the two (sweet tooth and protein needs) and get flavoured whey? Some of the ones out there are gorgeous - look at myprotein.com or bodybuildingwarehouse as their proteins are gorgeous and taste like puddings!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bmi_calculator/bmi.shtml

Your BMI for those stats is overweight, but depends if you are very muscular or not I guess (if so use fat percentage).

Anyhow I found eating chocolate, and more carbs helps. If you eat quite a bit of protein to help muscle repair you will actually eat less than you think. So keep a calorie diary for a couple of weeks and really see what you are eating!

PS: I find [many] women seem to want a "fat" guy, that is saying I should be more like 14-15 stone (Currently 11.5-12), which would make me obese for my height, unless of course I became a complete meat head. Both of which are probably not a good thing. Strange how peoples perceptions of "normal" have shifted to "fat arse McDs"

"Cheers for the tips and good luck with the body building.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth at times, is there any foods you would recommend to snack on??

Im the same, I love Haribo and anything with the word cake in it! Cottage cheese with pineapple can hit the spot, Quark on a rice cake is nice when you are being ultra strict. Or why not combine the two (sweet tooth and protein needs) and get flavoured whey? Some of the ones out there are gorgeous - look at myprotein.com or bodybuildingwarehouse as their proteins are gorgeous and taste like puddings!"

I get the flavoured whey protein drinks and they taste ok, not too chalky as well. Banana, chocolate taste good vanilla is a little too sweet for my taste.

"http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bmi_calculator/bmi.shtml

Your BMI for those stats is overweight, but depends if you are very muscular or not I guess (if so use fat percentage).

"

If you are remotely active and fit, I would avoid BMI measurements. They pay no attention to your physiological build - and seeing as per inch muscle weighs more than fat, a muscular person with less than 10% body fat still shows as obese on BMI! According to BMI, I am morbidly obese - yet I have abs, obliques and muscle striations showing through!!

Nice Apollo's Belt!

By *slandcplCouple  over a year ago

canvey island

"Im writing this as someone who is entering his first bodybuilding competition in June so have some experience of training and nutrition.

First of all, DO NOT use skimmed milk powder in place of whey protein. The characteristics are completely different.

Skimmed milk powder will be about 36% protein and around 50%carbs (sugars) - this is no good at all for putting on muscle. A good unflavoured protein powder will be 80% protein and less than 10% sugar.

You want about 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight per day to be putting on muscle. Protein shakes are a good easy source, chicken and oily fish (salmon, trout etc) are even better. Try and avoid processed sugars as your source of carbs - Sweet potato, wholewheat pasta etc is really good.

The response of smaller regular meals is a really good tip - I currently have 6 or 7 meals a day and train weights 4 or 5 times per week.

To put muscle on, you need to make sure you consume more calories than you expend - but making sure your calories are clean good calories!

"

If you are going to try whey supplements a great place to check out on line is www.discount-supplements.co.uk

"http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bmi_calculator/bmi.shtml

If you are remotely active and fit, I would avoid BMI measurements. They pay no attention to your physiological build - and seeing as per inch muscle weighs more than fat, a muscular person with less than 10% body fat still shows as obese on BMI! According to BMI, I am morbidly obese - yet I have abs, obliques and muscle striations showing through!!"

Hence why I said in that situation use body fat percentage

For the majority of people BMI is a good yard stick though. Especially when on of the companies I deal with do fat camps and some of the kids are 80-100kg and only 16... that isn't muscle no matter how relaxed it is!

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Maybe I could borrow yours??? "

Hahahaha! That made me chuckle!

I do the whey thing in the blender with a soya yoghurt, banana, blueberries and frozen mango. However, I'm not trying to gain weight, I want to shift it! Speak to your GP or a dietician and they should be able to give you some advice. Failing that, eat a lot of chocolate and cheesecake, that's where most of my lard came from!

"Maybe I could borrow yours???

Hahahaha! That made me chuckle!

I do the whey thing in the blender with a soya yoghurt, banana, blueberries and frozen mango. However, I'm not trying to gain weight, I want to shift it! Speak to your GP or a dietician and they should be able to give you some advice. Failing that, eat a lot of chocolate and cheesecake, that's where most of my lard came from! "

and very nice it looks too

The trouble with GP's is that they are all trained towards helping people lose weight rather than gaining quality muscle (I sneaked a peak at your pics, your weight looks absolutely wonderful to me!!!!).

The point made about logging your foods is a really valuable one - if you arent fully aware of what you are eating, you wont be able to adjust accordingly even if you do seek help elsewhere.

A really good place to look would be a forum called Muscletalk. It has some really good sections on diet, training etc and the people on there are really helpful with a lot of professional nutritionists posting on there.

Also remember that your goals are personal - you are the one that will need to look in the mirror each day and be happy. Some people will like you smaller, some will like you with bigger muscles - you need to listen to yourself about how happy you are with how you look, thats going to be your driving factor to make the progress you want! (but dont make it all so strict that food stops being fun!)

You cheeky little fourteen stone weakling.....

You asked for advice and I was kind enough to give it ......

Try this .

1. Fill your nose bag with :- cake, cream, chips, , pizza , kebab n burger. Top off with all the cereals that people feed their kids and lots of bread , bananas and butter.

2. Sit on couch and watch Jeremy Kyle so your peer group gives you visual comfort.

You'll be sixteen stone in a month !

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I hope you`re not going to the Red White and Blue party! I reckon the dungeon will be somewhat busy that day!

at 6,2 you need a lot of food am 5,11 at 15,3 st i go the gym 3 times a week i eat about 3000 cal a day the best way to gain weght to eat lots a carbs and eggs are a must sart with 4 a day the add more if you need to milk is good to dont do any cardio in the gym your palying foot ball thats all you need all so do all your body parts in one work out 3 times a week thats the way i do it it works .

Could you be a natural morph and destined not to be able to gain weight due to genetic factors?

Ectomorph that is sorry xxx

"Could you be a natural morph and destined not to be able to gain weight due to genetic factors?"

That the little 'pasticine-man-come-to-life', Tony Hart's buddy?

"Chocolate and has always worked for me in the past.

(sorry Im hijacking your thread with silliness but i just couldnt help it)"

"Could you be a natural morph and destined not to be able to gain weight due to genetic factors?

That the little 'pasticine-man-come-to-life', Tony Hart's buddy? "

Aye but after he's been stretched a bit!

"Could you be a natural morph and destined not to be able to gain weight due to genetic factors?

That the little 'pasticine-man-come-to-life', Tony Hart's buddy?

Aye but after he's been stretched a bit!"

"Im writing this as someone who is entering his first bodybuilding competition in June so have some experience of training and nutrition.

"

i agree with alot of what me and the missus has said on this forum but your body actually doesnt need 1.5g of proties per lb of body weight. the body is proven to grow on insanly alot less than that but more protien does help.

when gaining mass you need to eat over your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and we all know what happens when you do this you put on fat. so be prepared to put on a little fat if you do it right but dont worry this is why bodybuilders do cut and bulk

the reason i agree with eating alot of protien is by eating more protien to get over your metabolic rate your body stores eccess calories, and by the access calories being protien your body actually needs to use energy to convert those protien calories into fat resulting in them becoming less

hope that helps

[Removed by poster at 26/03/11 17:43:13]

Completely off subject. Apologies OP. Im always perving your delish bod effingreat... and disappointed you are way too young for me (and Im out of your league) ... but now I see you have a missus. Double disappointment. Whatever you're doing - keep on doing it....

"Completely off subject. Apologies OP. Im always perving your delish bod effingreat... and disappointed you are way too young for me (and Im out of your league) ... but now I see you have a missus. Double disappointment. Whatever you're doing - keep on doing it...."

lol thank you and i am glad you like perving at my pictures. and no i dont have a missus :S

Eat little and often ..ensuring a high nitrogen level ...

Eat more complex carbs and protein and plenty of fruit ....glyogen et al...

Work hard ...intensity being the key ...a workout of 35 mins should fuck yer completely ...and then rest ..overtraining is crap ...

"Completely off subject. Apologies OP. Im always perving your delish bod effingreat... and disappointed you are way too young for me (and Im out of your league) ... but now I see you have a missus. Double disappointment. Whatever you're doing - keep on doing it...."

ahh now i see lol me and the missus was the name of the person i was quoting i dont actually have a gf

agree with previous post. Eat little and often to ensure you fuel you body correctly.

If this is a problem, consider protein supplements. I tend to eat every 3 hours but this can consist of a protein shake or a handfull of nuts (I have regular meals as well but don't have massive amounts. Plus you body can only take a limited amount (20/30g - roughly a shake) of protein at any given time so don't tempted to overload on protein.

Don't forgot to balance your diet and exercise or it will just be converted into fat.

"Eat little and often ..ensuring a high nitrogen level ...

Work hard ...intensity being the key ...a workout of 35 mins should fuck yer completely ...and then rest ..overtraining is crap ..."

Good old Google. I searched for the best foods to get nitrogen into the body and up popped a piece about deep sea divers and the bends!!!!!!!

"agree with previous post. Eat little and often to ensure you fuel you body correctly.

If this is a problem, consider protein supplements. I tend to eat every 3 hours but this can consist of a protein shake or a handfull of nuts (I have regular meals as well but don't have massive amounts. Plus you body can only take a limited amount (20/30g - roughly a shake) of protein at any given time so don't tempted to overload on protein.

Don't forgot to balance your diet and exercise or it will just be converted into fat."

Agree...your diet needs to suit your lifestyle ...and nuts are a bodybuilders best friend used properly ..fantastic energy and protein..

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"

Totally and utterly agreed

Work hard ...intensity being the key ...a workout of 35 mins should fuck yer completely ...and then rest ..overtraining is crap ...

Good old Google. I searched for the best foods to get nitrogen into the body and up popped a piece about deep sea divers and the bends!!!!!!!"

hahaha yeah ..good ol google ....

I might be talking out my arse ...I remember some 20 years ago when I was heavily into body sculture that..the vogue in arcane circles was high nitrogen levels ...I forget why..summat to do with cells absorption rates.. ...it just mean`t little and often of health food really ...

Good old Google. I searched for the best foods to get nitrogen into the body and up popped a piece about deep sea divers and the bends!!!!!!!

I might be talking out my arse ...I remember some 20 years ago when I was heavily into body sculture that..the vogue in arcane circles was high nitrogen levels ...I forget why..summat to do with cells absorption rates.. ...it just mean`t little and often of health food really ..."

Actually when I did find articles about foods with high nitrogen levels it said that most of them turn rapidly to carbs rather than fat so good energy expending foods in conjunction with high protein diet makers muscle not fat. What an excellent thread for those of us wondering why so called healthy foods make fat!!! Results all round give yourselves a pat on the back you fab forum folk!

Im still wondering if OP is a natural ectomorph tho.....

I might be talking out my arse ...I remember some 20 years ago when I was heavily into body sculture that..the vogue in arcane circles was high nitrogen levels ...I forget why..summat to do with cells absorption rates.. ...it just mean`t little and often of health food really ...

Actually when I did find articles about foods with high nitrogen levels it said that most of them turn rapidly to carbs rather than fat so good energy expending foods in conjunction with high protein diet makers muscle not fat. What an excellent thread for those of us wondering why so called healthy foods make fat!!! Results all round give yourselves a pat on the back you fab forum folk!

Im still wondering if OP is a natural ectomorph tho....."

Lol I`ve just googled to refresh my memory ....all macronutrients contain carbon, hydrogen ,oxygen but only protein has the added nirogen molecule .....so having a positive nitrogen balance essentially means you`ve got lots of amino acids in yer blood ...

Yeah..tis harder fer ectomorphs ....alot more comittement and time ...can be done tho ...

Cheers for the tips/advice (and some abuse!) boys and girls. You've given me lots of food for thought

I've started a program called p90x can't comment on its effectiveness yet as I'm only a couple of weeks in. One thing I have realised is in the past I just wasn't training with the right intensity that is definitely evident now. The amount I have to eat is a chore though.

diet is important but is completely pointless if you train wrong im sure you already know but it is important to adjust your lifting to match your goals as the way you train differs as to whether you are aiming for strength and power or hypertrophy...most important dont over do the reps and try to get carbs and protien after training within what is called the metabolic window. a friend of mine who is a personal trainer says use plenty of bang for your buck exercises.....squats....bench presses and super sets. also take the ecentric phase of any exercise as slow as possible to exaust the muscle as much as possible.

» Add a new message to this topic