FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > 40 stone teenager

40 stone teenager

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ugby 123 OP   Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

That is a huge amount of weight for anyone never mind a young girl.....who's fault if any?

Did the parents fail her?

You don't get to that size with eating salads, so I am guessing the wrong foods were given.

I know how easy it is to put on weight, and to get to a large size, but surely the parents noticed her getting bigger and could have put a stop to it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

difficult one...

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

Don't think it is difficult at all!! The parents should be prosecuted for child abuse! That child is their responsibility.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"difficult one... "

What would you do if your little one looked like she was putting on the pounds ?( when she gets older of course )

"difficult one...

What would you do if your little one looked like she was putting on the pounds ?( when she gets older of course )"

Id evaluate everything, whati was feeding her, if she was getting food elsewhere, if she was ding enough excercise... take her to the doctors

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Then no, it isn't as difficult as you thought.

In my opinion that is what the parents of this girl should have done before it got out of hand.

Northants

We had no money when the kids were young and we used to eat all the cheap crap that supermarkets were churning out to us, but the kids always had decent food. Proper dinners and plenty of veg!

As I said before, they were our responsibility and we chose to have them. Obese children are normally the result of parents who take the easy option!

That of course is just my opinion!

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

also the parents should have sought medical advice for a possible underlying thyroid condition

"also the parents should have sought medical advice for a possible underlying thyroid condition"

cant be blamed for everything though

Northants

"also the parents should have sought medical advice for a possible underlying thyroid condition"

Good point!

were the arents big as well

Apparently as a baby she wouldn't drink regular milk so the mother gave her condensed milk! and tinned potatoes instead of baby food!

I remember a time if you had a dog you needed a license,anyone can have a kid and no one really seems to receive any 'direction'

Parents in Dundee had their children taken into care because their family were obese, they were repeatedly warned to change their diet.

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Then no, it isn't as difficult as you thought.

In my opinion that is what the parents of this girl should have done before it got out of hand."

+1

Never ceases to amaze me the number of overweight kids you see.

And in this day and age when food & nutrition advice is wall to wall available, there's no excuse.

And please, could we not have anyone coming up with some kind of 'glandular' excuse for a teenager being 40 stone.

These are people who need help, and if necessary, intervention.

And yes, intervention is a difficult judgement call for the authorities/state to take when they have to balance the freedoms of the individual.

But let's say 20 stone for a teenager as a guideline...

"Apparently as a baby she wouldn't drink regular milk so the mother gave her condensed milk! and tinned potatoes instead of baby food!

I remember a time if you had a dog you needed a license,anyone can have a kid and no one really seems to receive any 'direction'"

Clearly the parents had no common sense then.. i personally HATE tap water.. but to my daughter she knows no different. If she was started on it from the beggining then she'd think its the norm.

"Don't think it is difficult at all!! The parents should be prosecuted for child abuse! That child is their responsibility. "

very interesting point

they would be prosecuted if they starved her so why not for over feeding

the parents need to take responsiblity for certain but that said my mother tried her hardest to make sure i kept my weight under control as a child, often popping me on a diet, yet as an adult i still became morbidly obese which i sometimes wonder if it was a way of rebeling once i was out of her control food wise, so there are obviously right ways and wrong ways of controling your childs weight but what these are i am not certain

"Parents in Dundee had their children taken into care because their family were obese, they were repeatedly warned to change their diet. "

I remember hearing about that

Its caused by 'big bones'

covered in meat n gravy

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"We had no money when the kids were young and we used to eat all the cheap crap that supermarkets were churning out to us, but the kids always had decent food. Proper dinners and plenty of veg!

As I said before, they were our responsibility and we chose to have them. Obese children are normally the result of parents who take the easy option!

That of course is just my opinion!"

I agree and we didn't get many "treats" as there wasn't enough money for that plus, they didn't sell as many treats as they do now anyway.

To be fair though, we were a large family, all had the same dinners and a couple of us put on weight more than the others, so I don't think it is JUST what goes in your mouth.

perhaps im cruel,, but im teaching my daughter that carrot battons are 'sweeties' haha

When mine were kids i remember kids chocs were small bars now there the big ones and they wonder why kids are getting bigger when there treats are getting bigger

As a parent you have a duty of care for your child. You wouldn't push them over a busy road or introduce them to the local yobs and ask them to play. So why set them up for a lifetime of misery and ill health when outside activities are free! Ditch the playstations, give sensible food with 'treats' once a day and get outside for fresh air. Not only do they stay healthy, they sleep well and behave better.

"We had no money when the kids were young and we used to eat all the cheap crap that supermarkets were churning out to us, but the kids always had decent food. Proper dinners and plenty of veg!

That of course is just my opinion!

I agree and we didn't get many "treats" as there wasn't enough money for that plus, they didn't sell as many treats as they do now anyway.

To be fair though, we were a large family, all had the same dinners and a couple of us put on weight more than the others, so I don't think it is JUST what goes in your mouth."

very true we eat very similar as a family yet neither hubby or kids are overweight both sons have definatly got husbands genetics when it comes to build in fact oldest eats more junk than i could ever dream of consuming and yet is still ultra slim (he is 21 and makes his own food choices these days and its certainly not food choices he was taught to make as a child)

"perhaps im cruel,, but im teaching my daughter that carrot battons are 'sweeties' haha"

like it

we used to call our boys fruit bats as kids as they would as for plums or grapes when shopping never sweets

I was very conscious of my children's diets. It was certainly a case of do what I say not as I do. They have a healthy relationship with food and their bodies. All three are a size 8.

The parents should be charged with child abuse. I also wonder why the school didn't step in. They're quick to ponce for truancy or taking kids out of school during term time for holidays!

"That is a huge amount of weight for anyone never mind a young girl.....who's fault if any?

You don't get to that size with eating salads, so I am guessing the wrong foods were given.

I know how easy it is to put on weight, and to get to a large size, but surely the parents noticed her getting bigger and could have put a stop to it?"

How do you stop a teenager eating? if she wants the food she will get it somehow

I have a daughter who is over weight, not 40st lol but shes a size 16 at 17 years old, i have suggested a few times she should watch what she eats but she just buys what she wants when shes out

As a parent you can only control what your child eats in the house, unless you make them a prisoner and dont give them any money how can you possabily stop they buying what they want to eat while they are out?

And if you did lock them in the house and didnt give them any personal money youd be accused of being a bad parent for doing that!

over all you just cant win

Being a big lass myself its made me super paranoid about what i feed my Bambino.

I dont think i had a bad childhood, mum was always home cooking and i love veg. used to play outside loads. My metabolism is just non exsistant.. My brother on the other hand is 19, 6'3 and has a 32inch waist (lucky bastard)

" ponce for truancy "

is that in the curriculum?

I feel sorry for her and i hope she has some help from family or a counsellor. It is not as easy as some people who dont know about this disorder think . People turn to food for comfort when feeling upset or sad thay forget you are obese and unhealthy its like a drug . I think she need to be taken out of family home as been a caring for her mum from 10 ... she has had no normal life as a child looking after her mum must be a worrie for this girl , and what do she turn to for conford its food.

I really hope there are people out there going to help as i dont think after the lifes she had can herself.

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

And no one had the balls to intervene eh? No one in the teaching profession, no one in the medical profession, no one noticed this teenager had a question mark over her re her weight, it’s always someone else’s problem!

"difficult one...

What would you do if your little one looked like she was putting on the pounds ?( when she gets older of course )"

see the problem is most over weight kids come from over weight families, its a knock on effect, you eat junk so you get fat, you feed your family what you eat so your kids get fat

there for most parents with over weight kids wouldnt bat an eye lid cause they big too

"How do you stop a teenager eating? if she wants the food she will get it somehow

I have a daughter who is over weight, not 40st lol but shes a size 16 at 17 years old, i have suggested a few times she should watch what she eats but she just buys what she wants when shes out

As a parent you can only control what your child eats in the house, unless you make them a prisoner and dont give them any money how can you possabily stop they buying what they want to eat while they are out?

And if you did lock them in the house and didnt give them any personal money youd be accused of being a bad parent for doing that!

over all you just cant win"

Think secondary school was especially tough for me, had friends who were stick insects and at lunch they'd scoff down chips etc and if i stuck to a packed lunch they'd think my parents were broke.. so id feel obliged to have school dinners from the canteen and end up eating the same as them. Damm shame i was the only one to put on weight - paying for it now though

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"That is a huge amount of weight for anyone never mind a young girl.....who's fault if any?

I know how easy it is to put on weight, and to get to a large size, but surely the parents noticed her getting bigger and could have put a stop to it?

How do you stop a teenager eating? if she wants the food she will get it somehow

over all you just cant win"

This kid was big from a very young age, so I am guessing she wasn't going out with lots of money to buy food.

No, you can't control what goes on outside of the house.....but you should be able to control what they eat inside it.

Our children were very different, one could eat for England and not put any weight on and the other would only need to look at a biscuit to put on a pound.

when I saw she was putting on too much weight I just cut back any treats she had....she didn't know I was doing it for her, just that they were not in the house for her to eat.

By *im halpertMan  over a year ago

redditch

theyre the playstation generation-no exercise ,fast food ,parents to blame is my opinion xx

I know how easy it is to put on weight, and to get to a large size, but surely the parents noticed her getting bigger and could have put a stop to it?"

knew someone that was 2 stones befopre their 13th birthday...parents tried everything, including big padlocks on the cupboards and fridge etc etc...she just starte to eat herself wen she couldn't get food....sadly she had praderwilly syndrome and die before she reached adulthood....was nobody's fault....so i hesitate to assign blame here

Forum Mod

O o O oo

knew someone that was 2 stones befopre their 13th birthday...parents tried everything, including big padlocks on the cupboards and fridge etc etc...she just starte to eat herself wen she couldn't get food....sadly she had praderwilly syndrome and die before she reached adulthood....was nobody's fault....so i hesitate to assign blame here"

I think that has to be an extreme case there Stu x

knew someone that was 2 stones befopre their 13th birthday...parents tried everything, including big padlocks on the cupboards and fridge etc etc...she just starte to eat herself wen she couldn't get food....sadly she had praderwilly syndrome and die before she reached adulthood....was nobody's fault....so i hesitate to assign blame here

I think that has to be an extreme case there Stu x"

2 stones???? it shoulda read 20..lol

yeah is an xtreme case, but i don't really know why this girl is so heavy, so I would be wary of blaming ronald mcdonald or her parents just now s there could be other reasons

I dont know much abut it ...but as I understand it ...the girl n question has been her mothers carer since the age of 11....a very young age fer that kind of life ...some will cope admirably ..others may struggle to cope .....codependent behaviour is an obvious pitfall in this scenario ....mabye its a cry fer help ...

Speaking of which ...where were the social workers or health visitors..didn`t the teachers spot fuck all ?....this should of been spotted ...and the family dysfunction helped with advice and counselling ....the girl is at serious risk of severe health problems.

In an ordinary situation ..adults are supposed to be the guardians of their childrens welfare ...an obvious failing here ....people have sympathy for say post natal depression ....but not for another mental health issue ..and want the mother charged with what? being ill ?..

I`m not making excuses ..trying to take an holistic view ....to easy to see everything in shades of black n white ..

The blame game isn`t appropriatte here ...it isn`t a matter of crass irresponsibility ...unlike some of who I see, who feed their kids junk and don`t promote exercise etc ..

Hope the family get help ..in a practical way..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I guessed lol

So it seems this young girl lost 15 stones in 2009 , so she is capable of losing weight.

[Removed by poster at 22/02/11 14:54:38]

"I guessed lol

So it seems this young girl lost 15 stones in 2009 , so she is capable of losing weight."

yeah,sadly she had to be taken away to a boot camp in the US to do so. The mountain air of Georgia or a 2 bed semi in Aberdare. only one of them seems conducive to her losing weight.

as soon as she got back she reverted to comfort eating again. I feel sorry for the whole family

Edinburgh

How and why did this girls story get into the papers today?

"I dont know much abut it ...but as I understand it ...the girl n question has been her mothers carer since the age of 11....a very young age fer that kind of life ...some will cope admirably ..others may struggle to cope .....codependent behaviour is an obvious pitfall in this scenario ....mabye its a cry fer help ...

Speaking of which ...where were the social workers or health visitors..didn`t the teachers spot fuck all ?....this should of been spotted ...and the family dysfunction helped with advice and counselling ....the girl is at serious risk of severe health problems.

In an ordinary situation ..adults are supposed to be the guardians of their childrens welfare ...an obvious failing here ....people have sympathy for say post natal depression ....but not for another mental health issue ..and want the mother charged with what? being ill ?..

I`m not making excuses ..trying to take an holistic view ....to easy to see everything in shades of black n white ..

The blame game isn`t appropriatte here ...it isn`t a matter of crass irresponsibility ...unlike some of who I see, who feed their kids junk and don`t promote exercise etc ..

Hope the family get help ..in a practical way.."

yes i see this on tv and how she has been looking after her mum from 10/11 .. no child should ever have to look after there own mum at that age ... her mum should have been looking after her ....... this young girl is crying out for help

"I feel sorry for her and i hope she has some help from family or a counsellor. It is not as easy as some people who dont know about this disorder think . People turn to food for comfort when feeling upset or sad thay forget you are obese and unhealthy its like a drug . I think she need to be taken out of family home as been a caring for her mum from 10 ... she has had no normal life as a child looking after her mum must be a worrie for this girl , and what do she turn to for conford its food.

I really hope there are people out there going to help as i dont think after the lifes she had can herself.

"

tis very true hunny

an anorexic would recieve medical help and counciling but does someone that is so overweight? i have no idea

lets just hope this being made so public might mean she recieves some help

watching people clambering for the paper and judging yesterday made me feel very sad for her, surely it can only make her mental state suffer knowing the whole country is judging her

maybe the sun should step upto the plate and help her as they made so much money from popping her all over their front page

"How and why did this girls story get into the papers today?"

I never see the pepers ...but its a mute point I guess....

By *ummy mummyWoman  over a year ago

southampton-ish

I have also always struggled with my weight, from an early age and I am not going to give my sob story or try to blame anyone...but I am very concious of what I give my kids.They do not eat sweets,love fruit and veg and I hope to keep it that way.Also there will never be a games console in this house, I do not see the need for it.I have just been outside with the kids who love being active which is great and it is spurring me on to get control of my weight.

I remember my midwife telling me she had once been called out to a family whose baby was refusing to eat the babyfood they were making her, as their doc had said once she is ready just mash up family foods for her..they were putting chips and pizza in the blender to try and give her...as to them that was family foods...reeducation is needed in a lot of areas...

Edinburgh

[Removed by poster at 22/02/11 15:03:28]

Edinburgh

"How and why did this girls story get into the papers today?

I never see the pepers ...but its a mute point I guess...."

Not necessarily.

Who sold the story to whom?

And why?

And why now?

And for how much?

And for what purpose?

Why was the story published?

To raise awareness of someone in difficulty, to highlight a social problem, or just to print pictures of a freak show to sell newspapers and get people talking in just the 'why oh why' way they are here?

Maybe her over eating was her way of coping with the huge job she had to do everyday

Not many adult would cope with being someones carer 24/7 never mind a child

Coping with a mother being ill and being the one she relied on must have been very hard for her

noones perfect and we all cope in different way

Edinburgh

"Maybe her over eating was her way of coping with the huge job she had to do everyday

Coping with a mother being ill and being the one she relied on must have been very hard for her

noones perfect and we all cope in different way"

Surely if she was a child caring for an adult 24/7, she'd be run off her feet?

Northants

"Maybe her over eating was her way of coping with the huge job she had to do everyday

Surely if she was a child caring for an adult 24/7, she'd be run off her feet?"

Sensi.. I do agree to a point, but thinking about it, perhaps she was trying to make herself too fat to be able to care for her mother! Perhaps in some perverse way she was eating up a disability?

Whatever it was, she needs help now... If it's not too late.

Northants

[Removed by poster at 22/02/11 15:16:29]

Surely if she was a child caring for an adult 24/7, she'd be run off her feet?"

you could run a marathon every day and still put weight on if your eating more than your burning off

"How and why did this girls story get into the papers today?

I never see the pepers ...but its a mute point I guess....

Not necessarily.

Who sold the story to whom?

And why?

And why now?

And for how much?

And for what purpose?

Why was the story published?

To raise awareness of someone in difficulty, to highlight a social problem, or just to print pictures of a freak show to sell newspapers and get people talking in just the 'why oh why' way they are here?"

I can`t give a considered opinion..I haven`t seen the article ...only what I`ve heard word of mouth ...

From experience ...newspapers ..rarely have anybodies concern at heart ...

I should of said I would deem the mother culpable in the health of her child ...

I saw the article today and I blame her parents and also what made me mad was the fact she went to a boot camp lost a shit load of weight then put it all back on. Her mother should be ashamed.

By *lirty and dirtyCouple  over a year ago

ashford

"I guessed lol

So it seems this young girl lost 15 stones in 2009 , so she is capable of losing weight.

yeah,sadly she had to be taken away to a boot camp in the US to do so. The mountain air of Georgia or a 2 bed semi in Aberdare. only one of them seems conducive to her losing weight.

as soon as she got back she reverted to comfort eating again. I feel sorry for the whole family"

yeah i read that yesterday but it said when she arrived home her mother hadnt had time to make anything healthy so went out and got fish and chips...like giving alcahol to an alcaholic really!!! saying that i did also once read about a young obese lad who really did have a healthy diet...test after test showed he did indeed have an underlying illness...sometimes as we all know it is getting a doctor to listen

Edinburgh

" Her mother should be ashamed."

Know what you mean.

Those shoes with that bag were NEVER going to work.

I have just read the article and feel sorry for the lass. Having said that...

making excuses like not being able to play baseball or afford a gym is not on. There is an entire outdoors fitness industry that revolves around exercise in parks and outdoors spaces.

The young lady also says she learned to love fitness and was educated into eating healthy foods so it's not really a case that she doesn't know what to do.

At some point someone has got to step in and give her counselling and the realisation has to come about calories in and calories out.

I really hope she gets some help or all manner of illnesses and ailments are in the post and on heir way to her.

" all had the same dinners and a couple of us put on weight more than the others, so I don't think it is JUST what goes in your mouth."

I agree, all my children had the same diet, lots of fruit and veg and healthy eating, my daughter is about a size 18 whereas the other two are very slim.

She developed apace as a teenager and it's stuck. She doesn't drive, cycles to the nursery and her job, often with her 4 yr old on the back of her cycle. They walk lots and swim, she is extremely healthy as is her diet but she just cannot shift any weight.

Recent studies suggest thyroid problems seem to be a consequence of, rather than a cause of, obesity in kids.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Exactly Swing.......and I think the problem now is she is in a vicious circle and can't find the motivation to sort it out. If she stays depressed she has no chance of losing weight.

Hopefully someone will help her now, but the parents are asking for personal trainers and the like, when we all know people can lose weight without having personal trainers if they have the willpower.

Now barring any medical problems, all she needs is the motivation, as she has done it before.

"Its caused by 'big bones'

covered in meat n gravy "

when was the last time you saw a fat skeleton?

" all had the same dinners and a couple of us put on weight more than the others, so I don't think it is JUST what goes in your mouth.

I agree, all my children had the same diet, lots of fruit and veg and healthy eating, my daughter is about a size 18 whereas the other two are very slim.

She developed apace as a teenager and it's stuck. She doesn't drive, cycles to the nursery and her job, often with her 4 yr old on the back of her cycle. They walk lots and swim, she is extremely healthy as is her diet but she just cannot shift any weight."

I don't know exactly how big a size 18 is but I doubt it's possible to extremely healthy and a size 18 unless the girl is about 7 foot tall.

If she's getting plenty of exercise (and she seems to be) but can't shift weight then the obvious conclusion is that she's eating more than her body needs.

Sticking to the healthy diet but smaller portions might be the answer.

I'm biased because I have paid good money to personal trainers to motivate me in the past and it just doesn't work long term. You are your own best motivator.

It has to come from within otherwise the minute the PT isn't there you are back to square one. And yo yo weight problems.

And the trainers can only do so much for you because they know if they make life too hard for you then you just wont come back and spend more cash with them.

Good luck to her because it strikes me as not a knowledge issue. It's a motivation thing and problems with depression.

If she has lost 15 stone in 9 months then it's within her gift to sort things out. I wouldn't be surprised if someone didnt' come forward (like a trainer) and offered to help.

Bit it's long term that things need to change. Best of luck to her because she hopefully has a life in front of her.

" Her mother should be ashamed.

Know what you mean.

Those shoes with that bag were NEVER going to work."

I know but I tried to advice her then she tried to eat me she mistook me for a twiglet

Same here i have 2 children both had same upbringing where as my youngest is very fussy eater my eldest is a very healthy eater always has been. She is 13 and weighs 13 stone 5ft8 and she has size 9 feet have recently done carnigie clubs which I highly recommend. She has lost a stone and half in 6 months and I could'nt be prouder. And she has just spent a night in hospital for hormone tests and glucose and just waiting on results.

"Same here i have 2 children both had same upbringing where as my youngest is very fussy eater my eldest is a very healthy eater always has been. She is 13 and weighs 13 stone 5ft8 and she has size 9 feet have recently done carnigie clubs which I highly recommend. She has lost a stone and half in 6 months and I could'nt be prouder. And she has just spent a night in hospital for hormone tests and glucose and just waiting on results."

spending a night i hospital for a blood test,, bit extreme isnt it?

Not really she had sleep test for sleep apnia and glucose tests for diabetes in the morning doctor being thorough. Got to go docs thursday for results

Blood glucose tests are often done after a minimum of 8 hours fasting and sometimes it can be advantageous to know exactly what the patient has actually consumed, as opposed to what they say they've consumed, within the previous 12-24 hours.

That's easier accomplished with an in-patient.

The photographs in the paper showed her mother beside hner who, tbh, wasn't a good advertisment for healthy living. This girl never stood a chance because her own parents didn't know how to say 'no' to her.

That may sound flippant, but as a father of a 13y/o of solid build who had recently started putting on a few pounds I felt it would be lacking of me as her dad to tell her what I was seeing.

Out have gone the snacks, crisps and comfort stuff she'd started getting used to and in it's place, in consultation with her mum, she now eats healthy food with a few treats interjected as a matter of course. There has to be a balance, and she's lost a stone in 6 weeks. She's happier that she knows the damage gluttony can do.

40-stone is a shameful weight to be and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

» Add a new message to this topic