FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gender selection

Gender selection

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There's just been a slot on the tv about gender selection.

A lady who has four healthy sons is going to Cyprus for gender selection so that she can have the daughter she desperately wants.

Now I completely understand the need for a child as I have been through that rollercoaster ride and would have loved to have been a mother. However, I accepted a long time ago that its not meant to be. From that standpoint I cannot understand why this lady can't be grateful for the fact that she has been blessed with four healthy children. Her need for a daughter baffles me.

She says that she loves her sons to bits (I'm sure she does) but how must it make them feel that their mother puts so much importance on having a daughter? And will they sons be pushed to one side once the daughter arrives?

I don't disagree with gender selection in terms of helping to eliminate genetic diseases but I do think its wrong to be able to choose the sex of your child, based purely on personal preference .

What do other fabsters think?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think it's wrong to mess about with genetics for any reason other than serious medical grounds. Gender selection is just the thin end of the wedge - what's next? People wanting only blonde haired, blue eyed babies? When it comes to the overall gender balance, Mother Nature knows best - leave it at that.

Incidentally, as someone who has four daughters and has lost a son I've personally had to adopt a philisophical approach - some things are just not meant to be.

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

I don't like the idea myself...medical issues are one thing but this is a bit over the line for my comfort.

By *appy101Woman  over a year ago

Telford

i dont understand it,i have 2 wonderful daughters,i did loose a baby son while pregant many years ago.. but still wouldnt want any more children let alone be messed with genetics to make it a boy,i see it as it was just not ment to be for me to have a boy and am very happy that i got 2 heathy children....

It's unnatural to me. Does it matter what sex the baby is? A healthy baby is all that matters. I did hear that posh n becks were doing the same due to the fact they have 3 boys and she wants a girl.

Why should anyone take issue with a mother who would so obviously love her child?

I wanted a son and now I have one, but it doesn't mean I love my daughter from my first marriage any less and if Siren and I had struggled to concieve a boy I would most certainly have looked at ways of helping that process along.

Good luck to the woman. So many kids are born in this world to parents who shouldn't really be breeding at all.

We let nature take it's course and we have two great sons. We didn't really have any overbearing preference that would have made us use outside sources to influence the gender of our children.

At the same time, we understand fully that not everyone thinks the same way as we do, and that there are many reasons why other people have their own views.

Science is a wonderfull thing, but progress isn't always a step forward.

By *hocotreacleWoman  over a year ago

lost in the city of Atlantis

Gattaca comes to mind.

"Why should anyone take issue with a mother who would so obviously love her child?

I wanted a son and now I have one, but it doesn't mean I love my daughter from my first marriage any less and if Siren and I had struggled to concieve a boy I would most certainly have looked at ways of helping that process along.

Good luck to the woman. So many kids are born in this world to parents who shouldn't really be breeding at all."

I do not take issue with this lady at all. I'm saying that I don't understand the need to have a child of a particular sex when she has already been blessed with 4 children. Some of us have not been lucky enough to have been able to conceive AT ALL let alone be able to choose the sex of that child. Any child of mine would have been very much wanted and loved.

My issue is being able to choose the sex of your child for reasons other than medical ones.

All I can say to you Wishy is that you are very lucky to have not only a daughter, but the son you wanted too. Some of us are not so lucky.

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Personally I wouldn't mess with nature. I'm a huge believer in what's meant to be will be.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"There's just been a slot on the tv about gender selection.

A lady who has four healthy sons is going to Cyprus for gender selection so that she can have the daughter she desperately wants.

Now I completely understand the need for a child as I have been through that rollercoaster ride and would have loved to have been a mother. However, I accepted a long time ago that its not meant to be. From that standpoint I cannot understand why this lady can't be grateful for the fact that she has been blessed with four healthy children. Her need for a daughter baffles me.

She says that she loves her sons to bits (I'm sure she does) but how must it make them feel that their mother puts so much importance on having a daughter? And will they sons be pushed to one side once the daughter arrives?

I don't disagree with gender selection in terms of helping to eliminate genetic diseases but I do think its wrong to be able to choose the sex of your child, based purely on personal preference .

What do other fabsters think?

"

Normally i would say i am against it. However if she has 4 boys already i think she has a good argument for going down that route. For a first or second child though.....Hmmmm i think not.

"Why should anyone take issue with a mother who would so obviously love her child?

Good luck to the woman. So many kids are born in this world to parents who shouldn't really be breeding at all.

I do not take issue with this lady at all. I'm saying that I don't understand the need to have a child of a particular sex when she has already been blessed with 4 children. Some of us have not been lucky enough to have been able to conceive AT ALL let alone be able to choose the sex of that child. Any child of mine would have been very much wanted and loved.

My issue is being able to choose the sex of your child for reasons other than medical ones.

All I can say to you Wishy is that you are very lucky to have not only a daughter, but the son you wanted too. Some of us are not so lucky."

Jesus! Why do people ask a question and when someone answers it from the viewpoint of their own experience they get all tetchy and defensive.

If the woman wants a girl and technology exists to help her achieve that then what's the problem.

How about childless couples who cannot conceive without a little bit of scientific assistance, is it ok to 'play god' then?

It seems that the GMC are ok in some instances and not ok about others - when they need to be consistent across the board.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

medical conditions,apart.

natures got us this far,leave it alone.

it is,the thin end of the wedge.

"

Jesus! Why do people ask a question and when someone answers it from the viewpoint of their own experience they get all tetchy and defensive.

**Not being tetchy or defensive, simply clarifying my thoughts and responding to you with reference to 'taking issue'**

If the woman wants a girl and technology exists to help her achieve that then what's the problem.

How about childless couples who cannot conceive without a little bit of scientific assistance, is it ok to 'play god' then?

**I personally would not and have not gone down this route**

It seems that the GMC are ok in some instances and not ok about others - when they need to be consistent across the board."

» Add a new message to this topic