FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Basic punctuation...

Basic punctuation...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

or lack thereof!

I know that, to some people, spelling, grammar and punctuation aren't important and that people like me are seen as 'Grammar Nazis' or 'The Grammar Police' but if people at least read their profiles back, they will be sure about whether or not it is clear exactly what they are looking for.

An example of the sort of profile that irks me would go a bit like this:

sexy bbw not skinny so jog on if that's what ure after lol after meet lady's couple's men not welcome jog on lol to many messages mailbox full no men black men ok no asian's white men I'll contact u where's all them tattoo's can meet with fb bi ok no tv or ts luv to watch lol have kik no pic no meet jog on lol to many time wasters on this site read my profile as you will be blocked

Fantastic!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sounds right up your street OP! I'm with you on grammar and punctuation. Any profile without it screams that we would have absolutely nothing in common.

By *atcoupleCouple  over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Very funny but I have to agree.

Poor grammar speaks volumes and if it is too bad we don't even bother.

Doesn't bother me in the least

I wan't a shag, not a pen pal

"or lack thereof!

I know that, to some people, spelling, grammar and punctuation aren't important and that people like me are seen as 'Grammar Nazis' or 'The Grammar Police' but if people at least read their profiles back, they will be sure about whether or not it is clear exactly what they are looking for.

sexy bbw not skinny so jog on if that's what ure after lol after meet lady's couple's men not welcome jog on lol to many messages mailbox full no men black men ok no asian's white men I'll contact u where's all them tattoo's can meet with fb bi ok no tv or ts luv to watch lol have kik no pic no meet jog on lol to many time wasters on this site read my profile as you will be blocked

Fantastic! "

You may wish to confirm that the above is a fabricated example and that you aren't copying and pasting someone's profile!

There's more than one police squad on here

Innit yeah

Whatyoutalkinaboutwillis?

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/02/16 07:54:40]

"Doesn't bother me in the least

I wan't a shag, not a pen pal "

"or lack thereof!

Fantastic! "

Totally with you on this. Mentioned this on the 'pet hates' thread yesterday.

I hope future generations will still be able to write a letter to somebody!

My grammar is terrible, my spelling is worse, but I'm a fantastic shag, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Oh, and I'm dyslexic, so its a fucking miracle that I can string a sentence together, let line be up to your standard of grammar and punctuation, in fact if it wasn't for spell check I doubt anyone would understand a single word I type, but I don't let that stop me, and I'm long since over being embarased it shamed about my academic shirt comings, by people who, if they are so well educated, should know better than just to assume that its laziness or low iq.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

"My grammar is terrible, my spelling is worse, but I'm a fantastic shag, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Oh, and I'm dyslexic, so its a fucking miracle that I can string a sentence together, let line be up to your standard of grammar and punctuation, in fact if it wasn't for spell check I doubt anyone would understand a single word I type, but I don't let that stop me, and I'm long since over being embarased it shamed about my academic shirt comings, by people who, if they are so well educated, should know better than just to assume that its laziness or low iq."

You are dyslexic; but you write understandable, punctuated english. Because you make the effort.

I too am dyslexic. I have made the effort to get over it. And write near perfect English ( and German and French).

The people who write in unpunctuated, complete gibberish are not dyslexic, they are fucking idle, and use dyslexia as an excuse for sheer fucking idleness. Most people with true dyslexia are of high intelligence.

It makes me very angry, as a true dyslexic, when people who can't be bothered to try to write properly, or are badly educated, use "dyslexia" as an excuse. And it undermines the serious efforts that are made to treat this problem ( which is a form of disability).

And it does matter that people can communicate. Though I am now a " grammar nazi; " I do understand when people make genuine spelling , grammar and punctuation mistakes.

By *argaryen starkCouple  over a year ago

pinxton

I hate the use of the word of instead of have . I should of been more careful for instance

There is 4 grammar mistakes in your profile

I don't judge people on how they write.

The content of what they write is far more important to me.

I wouldn't want to meet anyone who judges others in that way which is just aswell as they wouldn't want to meet me either ... it's a brilliant filter for finding if i would like someone or not

sang, or sang; you decide....

I know what I'd use....

"My grammar is terrible, my spelling is worse, but I'm a fantastic shag, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Oh, and I'm dyslexic, so its a fucking miracle that I can string a sentence together, let line be up to your standard of grammar and punctuation, in fact if it wasn't for spell check I doubt anyone would understand a single word I type, but I don't let that stop me, and I'm long since over being embarased it shamed about my academic shirt comings, by people who, if they are so well educated, should know better than just to assume that its laziness or low iq.

You are dyslexic; but you write understandable, punctuated english. Because you make the effort.

I too am dyslexic. I have made the effort to get over it. And write near perfect English ( and German and French).

The people who write in unpunctuated, complete gibberish are not dyslexic, they are fucking idle, and use dyslexia as an excuse for sheer fucking idleness. Most people with true dyslexia are of high intelligence.

It makes me very angry, as a true dyslexic, when people who can't be bothered to try to write properly, or are badly educated, use "dyslexia" as an excuse. And it undermines the serious efforts that are made to treat this problem ( which is a form of disability).

And it does matter that people can communicate. Though I am now a " grammar nazi; " I do understand when people make genuine spelling , grammar and punctuation mistakes.

"

It's the ones that pick out the tiniest error and make out like I've broke into their house on Christmas day and pissed on the Christmas tree that piss me off, in the great scheme of things does it matter? The way I see it is they are the ones that have the problem nit me, I mean who appoints these people as guardians of the English language? I think they would take the stick out if their arses and try to worry about things that matter, instead of standing on their self righteous hill screaming "look at me, look how clever I am, I can correct other peoples mistakes, I'm better than everyone" if that's what they need to do to get through life and feel good about themselves then fine, but they better realise there's always someone smarter that can make them feel small and inadequate.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I hate the use of the word of instead of have . I should of been more careful for instance"

Ha ha, there was a lad at school who always said and wrote "of" instead of "have". Our Headmaster, who was also the English teacher, made him write out 100 times "I would have passed my English test if I had written have instead of of"

"There is 4 grammar mistakes in your profile "

4 you say? Wow, this thread hasn't worked out too well for you has it op

Im not particularly bothered by non perfect grammar, punctuation or spelling. I know mine isn't perfect!

Oh, and I'm dyslexic, so its a fucking miracle that I can string a sentence together, let line be up to your standard of grammar and punctuation, in fact if it wasn't for spell check I doubt anyone would understand a single word I type, but I don't let that stop me, and I'm long since over being embarased it shamed about my academic shirt comings, by people who, if they are so well educated, should know better than just to assume that its laziness or low iq."

Hehe

By *argaryen starkCouple  over a year ago

pinxton

"I hate the use of the word of instead of have . I should of been more careful for instance

Ha ha, there was a lad at school who always said and wrote "of" instead of "have". Our Headmaster, who was also the English teacher, made him write out 100 times "I would have passed my English test if I had written have instead of of" "

"There is 4 grammar mistakes in your profile "

*are*

..and as for capital letters. ...

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I prefer good grammar in all areas, but sometimes the intelligence behind the lack of understanding of basic grammar, does still come through. I've been fortunate to have always worked in places where good grammar is essential all my life. Some haven't but they're no less intelligent, but they're writing skills reflect this. I do wonder why though a person, without being dyslexic, can go through schooling and not know, or have been taught these simple basics. I have a small dyslexia related problem myself I must add, so I do understand that issue.

It's the ones that pick out the tiniest error and make out like I've broke into their house on Christmas day and pissed on the Christmas tree that piss me off, in the great scheme of things does it matter? The way I see it is they are the ones that have the problem nit me, I mean who appoints these people as guardians of the English language? I think they would take the stick out if their arses and try to worry about things that matter, instead of standing on their self righteous hill screaming "look at me, look how clever I am, I can correct other peoples mistakes, I'm better than everyone" if that's what they need to do to get through life and feel good about themselves then fine, but they better realise there's always someone smarter that can make them feel small and inadequate."

There are those that hide behind it as a excuse for laziness.

With spellcheck and autocorrect there isn't an excuse is there....

"I prefer good grammar in all areas, but sometimes the intelligence behind the lack of understanding of basic grammar, does still come through. I've been fortunate to have always worked in places where good grammar is essential all my life. Some haven't but they're no less intelligent, but they're writing skills reflect this. I do wonder why though a person, without being dyslexic, can go through schooling and not know, or have been taught these simple basics. I have a small dyslexia related problem myself I must add, so I do understand that issue. "

Their writing skills even....

"Im not particularly bothered by non perfect grammar, punctuation or spelling. I know mine isn't perfect!

"

There's a lot of room between "not perfect" and that...

It bothers me ... It shouldn't, but it does.

Combined with

Hun

Wud , luv , ur , sen

Mmmmm

Play

Naughty

My list is endless. It doesn't make me a bad person, it's just my personal taste.

I won't pick people up on it, because that's rude, but if your spelling, punctuation and grammar is shit I will most likely decide we will have nothing in common and not get on.

Written communication is important. I'm shy in person, so I make an effort to overcome that so I can communicate well wth people when I meet them. If your written communication is naturally poor, I think you should make an effort with it in the same way I do. If you can't be arsed, it's no skin off my nose just don't expect me to be interested.

"I prefer good grammar in all areas, but sometimes the intelligence behind the lack of understanding of basic grammar, does still come through. I've been fortunate to have always worked in places where good grammar is essential all my life. Some haven't but they're no less intelligent, but they're writing skills reflect this. I do wonder why though a person, without being dyslexic, can go through schooling and not know, or have been taught these simple basics. I have a small dyslexia related problem myself I must add, so I do understand that issue.

Their writing skills even.... "

Ahhhh feet of clay

"I prefer good grammar in all areas, but sometimes the intelligence behind the lack of understanding of basic grammar, does still come through. I've been fortunate to have always worked in places where good grammar is essential all my life. Some haven't but they're no less intelligent, but they're writing skills reflect this. I do wonder why though a person, without being dyslexic, can go through schooling and not know, or have been taught these simple basics. I have a small dyslexia related problem myself I must add, so I do understand that issue.

Ahhhh feet of clay "

I wouldn't usually comment but couldn't resist

By *adyboy-DaddyCouple  over a year ago

Andover

I think OP has some good points.

While I think I'm pretty forgiving of someone's mistakes as we are from varied backgrounds and have differing talents and skills, pure bloody idleness has no excuse.

Crap profiles with no effort put in to make them understandable will see us walk on by.

"Sounds right up your street OP! I'm with you on grammar and punctuation. Any profile without it screams that we would have absolutely nothing in common."

" ..and as for capital letters. ...

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

"

Love it!

By *ishandwantCouple  over a year ago

Wellingborough

"I hope future generations will still be able to write a letter to somebody! "

I'm beginning to doubt that very much to be honest.

I've encountered children and teens who struggle with tying their shoelaces or telling the time from clock that isn't digital. Simply down to the fact that they don't seem to be taught the basics in school anymore.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

[Removed by poster at 28/02/16 10:43:58]

"I hope future generations will still be able to write a letter to somebody!

I've encountered children and teens who struggle with tying their shoelaces or telling the time from clock that isn't digital. Simply down to the fact that they don't seem to be taught the basics in school anymore. "

Errr...pretty sure they never taught tying shoelaces at school. My mum and dad definitely taught me that.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

[Removed by poster at 28/02/16 10:46:15]

No excuse for poor grammar as your computer and even mobile phone corrects it for you . Dunnit?? Pmsl !!!!

I've encountered children and teens who struggle with tying their shoelaces or telling the time from clock that isn't digital. Simply down to the fact that they don't seem to be taught the basics in school anymore. "

Teaching people to tie shoe laces and tell the time is not a school's responsibility.

I hate this ever increasing trend within our society to blame shit parenting on teachers

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I would just click next.....

Would never meet someone with poor spelling or grammar, no matter how fit he is. I love the English language in its written form and would quickly tire of a person who couldn't communicate properly in this way. Sexting would be out!

It's the ones that pick out the tiniest error and make out like I've broke into their house on Christmas day and pissed on the Christmas tree that piss me off, in the great scheme of things does it matter? The way I see it is they are the ones that have the problem nit me, I mean who appoints these people as guardians of the English language? I think they would take the stick out if their arses and try to worry about things that matter, instead of standing on their self righteous hill screaming "look at me, look how clever I am, I can correct other peoples mistakes, I'm better than everyone" if that's what they need to do to get through life and feel good about themselves then fine, but they better realise there's always someone smarter that can make them feel small and inadequate."

" ..and as for capital letters. ...

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. "

Brilliant!

"

As sonmeone that is dyslexic but not to a massive extent, it annoys me when people use it as an excuse. And itls often easy to spot. I remember someone developing dyslexia mid thread on here once after someone commented on his spelling, the subsequent and presumably deliberate errors were very, very different to those earlier in the thread.

I personally don't pick people up and spelling or grammar, but if it's ba I'm not interested. I like written communication, I like word play and I like literate people

"

As sonmeone that is dyslexic but not to a massive extent, it annoys me when people use it as an excuse. And itls often easy to spot"

It's amazing how well dyslexia apparently correlates with forum-using swingers...

Off topic alert! How can you blame schools? surely your parents should teach you to tie shoe laces and tell the time before you start school.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I struggle sometimes, when using a mobile, within the forum. But a profile is easier to put attention to, where it's semi-permanent.

I note the repetition of 'jog on', within the quoted example. That would probably be enough of a deterrent, without the poor grammar.

Some of those who have slurred mumbling speech, an echo of gangster drawl, or something, are worse in person too.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've encountered children and teens who struggle with tying their shoelaces or telling the time from clock that isn't digital. Simply down to the fact that they don't seem to be taught the basics in school anymore.

Off topic alert! How can you blame schools? surely your parents should teach you to tie shoe laces and tell the time before you start school. "

I do agree. I had a watch at 3 years of age and was writing before school age.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

"or lack thereof!

Fantastic! "

Let me help you with a few of your parsing errors. The final line of your rant should read......

...at least if people read their profiles back, they will be sure whether what they are looking for is made exact.

You'll thank me i'm sure.

"I prefer good grammar in all areas, but sometimes the intelligence behind the lack of understanding of basic grammar, does still come through. I've been fortunate to have always worked in places where good grammar is essential all my life. Some haven't but they're no less intelligent, but they're writing skills reflect this. I do wonder why though a person, without being dyslexic, can go through schooling and not know, or have been taught these simple basics. I have a small dyslexia related problem myself I must add, so I do understand that issue. "

There's a mistake in your comment

Their writing skills even.... "

"or lack thereof!

Fantastic! "

good grammar = "the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit!"

I cant stand grammar police, but have to agree theres so many that use no punctuation at all its shocking.........

I think some people should get a life ooooops forgot my full stop

Thats better

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

No comment

By *mokes n MirrorsCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth and Newcastle (sometimes)

Sorry to disagree but the basics should be taught by the parents before they even start going to school. P was a classroom assistant and the amount of kids in their first year at school that couldn't write their name, didn't have any manners, couldn't use cutlery or even make some attempt at wiping their arse was ridiculous. It's not the schools job to teach these things, it's ours...The parents.

Fuk grammor natzis

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Fuk grammor natzis"

This echoes my sentiments exactly, my dear fellow.

"Fuk grammor natzis

This echoes my sentiments exactly, my dear fellow.

"

My grandma is ded

"

I've been told above lol. Good job I wasn't berating people or on a high horse I think!

Just imagine a lady who misses out a fullstop at the end of a sentence. What kind of a shag would they be

I've been told above lol. Good job I wasn't berating people or on a high horse I think!"

It's funny though that you like one thing but write another ... made me laugh

I've been told above lol. Good job I wasn't berating people or on a high horse I think!

It's funny though that you like one thing but write another ... made me laugh "

Nevertheless, I shall continue to seek perfection. My school error does highlight how important getting it right is. All my other considered points have been lost now. I am ashamed though and should seek to be punished in some way :p

Wellingborough

Teaching people to tie shoe laces and tell the time is not a school's responsibility.

I hate this ever increasing trend within our society to blame shit parenting on teachers"

All I know is that the school I went to to taught it's pupils how to tie their shoe laces and how to tell the time using a clock with hands. No velcro straps and no digital clocks. Basic life skills.

They also taught kids about cycling proficiency, with the aid of the local police. Something that kids today could well do with considering the ever more busy roads. Is it any wonder that most of today's kids feel safer riding on the pavement??

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"Doesn't bother me in the least

I wan't a shag, not a pen pal "

It's want not wan't. grrrr

Wellingborough

Sorry to disagree but the basics should be taught by the parents before they even start going to school. P was a classroom assistant and the amount of kids in their first year at school that couldn't write their name, didn't have any manners, couldn't use cutlery or even make some attempt at wiping their arse was ridiculous. It's not the schools job to teach these things, it's ours...The parents."

Please don't misunderstand me, I quite agree. But the fact remains were still taught it.

A young mother we know constantly goes on about "lazy parenting" but is quite happy demonstrate exactly that when it comes to raising her own Son.

Who else will teach our children if some parents can't be bothered?

Widnes

Well, compared to many, the level of punctuation in your post is pretty good. And that's the point. I don't really care if the punctuation is absolutely correct or not; what matters is that what is written is, for the most part, understandable. What you wrote is but what some write with absolutely no punctuation simply is not.

Widnes

"

"I won't pick people up on it, because that's rude, but if your spelling, punctuation and grammar is shit I will most likely decide we will have nothing in common and not get on.

Written communication is important. I'm shy in person, so I make an effort to overcome that so I can communicate well wth people when I meet them. If your written communication is naturally poor, I think you should make an effort with it in the same way I do. If you can't be arsed, it's no skin off my nose just don't expect me to be interested.

"

^^^ exactly this

Widnes

Maybe their motivation has more to do with trying to improve peoples chances of making a good impression rather than deliberately trying to humiliate anyone.

"or lack thereof!

Fantastic! "

they are people and in their haste to get their message across they make mistakes ,ok they should re-read and correct and punctuate but surely we are here to meet ,judge on looks and personality not a spelling or grammar mistake

Widnes

Ahhhh feet of clay "

I think the point is we all make mistakes even when we know the rules. I've often looked back at stuff I've written and found I've used 'are' when I meant 'our', "your" when I meant "you're" or "there" when I meant "they're" or "their".

The important thing is not whether what's written is perfectly correct but whether it's reasonably understandable. Things written with little or no punctuation normally are not.

Widnes

"I think some people should get a life ooooops forgot my full stop

Thats better"

Actually, far worse than missing the full stop is the missing apostrophe in "thats". It's sort for "that is" so should be written "that's".

Not that it matters.

Widnes

"Fuk grammor natzis"

Nothing wrong with your use of grammar here. The spelling, which has nothing to do with grammar, is a little off.

Widnes

It's funny though that you like one thing but write another ... made me laugh

Nevertheless, I shall continue to seek perfection. My school error does highlight how important getting it right is. All my other considered points have been lost now. I am ashamed though and should seek to be punished in some way :p"

If you feel you need a good spanking let me know and I'll try to oblige.

Widnes

Sorry to disagree but the basics should be taught by the parents before they even start going to school. P was a classroom assistant and the amount of kids in their first year at school that couldn't write their name, didn't have any manners, couldn't use cutlery or even make some attempt at wiping their arse was ridiculous. It's not the schools job to teach these things, it's ours...The parents.

Please don't misunderstand me, I quite agree. But the fact remains were still taught it.

"

"we were" or "we're".

"

A young mother we know constantly goes on about "lazy parenting" but is quite happy demonstrate exactly that when it comes to raising her own Son.

Who else will teach our children if some parents can't be bothered?"

I'm a self-confessed grammar Nazi. I'm allowed to be though, as I was an English teacher.

"There is 4 grammar mistakes in your profile

*are* "

I've just snorted laughing!!

Seriously though, as long as I can decipher - I don't mind.

» Add a new message to this topic