FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Money saving tips

Money saving tips

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I picked up a tip recently and discovered something I didn't know, so I'm sharing.

1. When doing an on-line supermarket shop, secure your preferred timeslot earlier than you normally do in the week. Choose all your items but don't check out. Most places will then send you a message as your day gets closer and offer some discounts on your chosen items.

2. If your mother (maybe father) or a grandparent has/had glaucoma tell the optician. Your eye tests are then free on the NHS forever more.

Feel free to share your tips too.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That's really useful thank you. No tips sorry.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

If you have a legal issue book a half hour free consultation with a solicitor.

then another and another. by the last one you'll know exactly what info you actually need

"If you have a legal issue book a half hour free consultation with a solicitor.

then another and another. by the last one you'll know exactly what info you actually need "

I think you might need to find several solicitors for that one to work - but I like it.

Grantham

If you have a problem with your car, and are not car savvy, call out your rescue service first.

The person who attend will tell you what is wrong. Then you can go to a garage armed with the info and not get ripped off.

Grantham

"If you have a legal issue book a half hour free consultation with a solicitor.

then another and another. by the last one you'll know exactly what info you actually need

I think you might need to find several solicitors for that one to work - but I like it. "

Sorry that's what I meant, several solicitor firms.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"If you have a problem with your car, and are not car savvy, call out your rescue service first.

The person who attend will tell you what is wrong. Then you can go to a garage armed with the info and not get ripped off."

Oi not all garages rip people off

"If you have a problem with your car, and are not car savvy, call out your rescue service first.

The person who attend will tell you what is wrong. Then you can go to a garage armed with the info and not get ripped off."

Also, check your bank account before taking out a breakdown cover service. Some have breakdown cover included.

I'm currently saving for a holiday so have stopped doing a weekly shop as I tend to buy stuff because it's in front of me and end up wasting it and instead do it daily/every other day and only buy what I need or what's on offer, saves money and less waste.

Take my lunches every day instead of eating out at least 3 times a week.

Stopped getting a weekly travel card and do it just pay as you go as I didn't need them zones at the weekend which saves a bit also.

"I'm currently saving for a holiday so have stopped doing a weekly shop as I tend to buy stuff because it's in front of me and end up wasting it and instead do it daily/every other day and only buy what I need or what's on offer, saves money and less waste.

Stopped getting a weekly travel card and do it just pay as you go as I didn't need them zones at the weekend which saves a bit also. "

Never shop for food when you're hungry.

Manchester

"I picked up a tip recently and discovered something I didn't know, so I'm sharing.

1. When doing an on-line supermarket shop, secure your preferred timeslot earlier than you normally do in the week. Choose all your items but don't check out. Most places will then send you a message as your day gets closer and offer some discounts on your chosen items.

2. If your mother (maybe father) or a grandparent has/had glaucoma tell the optician. Your eye tests are then free on the NHS forever more.

"

My dad had glaucoma so I get the free tests but it's only when your over 40 and I did also get a letter off the NHS asking me what my dad's name was address and dob but I've not heard of anyone else having to prove who they was related to so maybe I just look dodgy

Grantham

The person who attend will tell you what is wrong. Then you can go to a garage armed with the info and not get ripped off.

Oi not all garages rip people off "

This is true but many do, particularly the Kwik Fit types

Under the 'minor ailments scheme' all over the counter medicine is free for children.. Just ask your chemist about the scheme

Grantham

"Also, check your bank account before taking out a breakdown cover service. Some have breakdown cover included."

Similarly lots of insurance policies have Legal advice included.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Use Quidco and HotUKDeals.

Manchester

Oi not all garages rip people off

This is true but many do, particularly the Kwik Fit types "

I know was just messing. They are why I have so much work particularly from women

Grantham

"I'm currently saving for a holiday so have stopped doing a weekly shop as I tend to buy stuff because it's in front of me and end up wasting it and instead do it daily/every other day and only buy what I need or what's on offer, saves money and less waste.

Stopped getting a weekly travel card and do it just pay as you go as I didn't need them zones at the weekend which saves a bit also. "

Having shopping delivered can prevent you over spending too.

They try to tempt you with offers etc. but order after you've eaten and you can resist

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Use cashback sites. I use a 'top' cashback site and i've made 60 quid back in a year just on a few bits and bobs i'd buy anyway (clothes and such) once I've got my place sorted i'll be looking at doing my home insurance etc through it too.

Change bank accounts. Some offer up to £150 for switching.

Have a look at Martin Lewis Money Saving site. I love him!

Grantham

"I know was just messing. They are why I have so much work particularly from women "

My first experience with them they effectively wrote my car off, wanted £600 to fix it. Back in the late 80s

Got it fixed for £95 in the end

Grantham

"Have a look at Martin Lewis Money Saving site. I love him!"

Ah yes, the Money Saving Expert site and weekly emails can be full of ideas.

For me, I tend not to shop much

Dont buy chain shop coffees at nearly £3 a go. Get a thermal mug, make your own. Too and from work.

Easy way to.save £50 a month.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Do your shopping in 1902, prices are really competitive back then. You do need a time machine, but after the slight initial investment of quadzillions, you will make a substantial saving.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Before using the last minute hotel booking sites always call your chosen hotel first and ask if they are willing to beat the price, they might equal it but throw in dinner or a bottle of wine or give you a better deal.

Ring your credit card provider every six months and ask them to lower your interest rate.

Grantham

"Do your shopping in 1902, prices are really competitive back then. You do need a time machine, but after the slight initial investment of quadzillions, you will make a substantial saving. "

Brilliant

Grantham

"Ring your credit card provider every six months and ask them to lower your interest rate.

"

Or don't have one

Meeting friends for food?

Meet in weekdays, plenty print off vouchers for food at chain restaurants, saving 30% off food bill.

Keep an eye on monthly women's magazines, vouchers for discounts on high end stores. Worth buying a £3 mag with an £8 hand creme attached to the front.

Boots points? Redeem them on reduced price items to make them go even further.

Use 1 ply of your 2-ply toilet roll and it will last twice as long.

Use both sides and...

Manchester

"I know was just messing. They are why I have so much work particularly from women

My first experience with them they effectively wrote my car off, wanted £600 to fix it. Back in the late 80s

Got it fixed for £95 in the end "

And old dear that live down the Rd from me was told £700 to get her car car threw it's 2nd mot and just happened to tell ask me about it as she was walking her dog past my house. I persuaded her to let me take it. it needed nothing and passed.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I'm currently helping a colleague whose wife died a few years ago. He was looking at getting a 2nd job now his youngest is at uni & he's struggling.

Martin Lewis MSE is a godsend!!!

I've saved him £170 a month on utilities, insurances & mobile phone.

I switch all sockets off when not in use except for fridge, freezer, alarm clocks.

Batch cooking uses oven more efficiently.

I phone Virgin every 12 months to renegotiate my package.

Switching mobile from EE to Virgin - same network but cheaper rates. If on O2 switch to Giff Gaff.

use cash back sites when shopping online.

I use topcashback and get 22% on any spends at lovehoney!!!!! plus I also get the fab 10% discount as well.

If you want a referral code for "topcashback" or you want to use the fab 10% on top of the 22% drop us a message.

Chams or Socials

"Dont buy chain shop coffees at nearly £3 a go. Get a thermal mug, make your own. Too and from work.

Easy way to.save £50 a month.

"

I've started doing this. I was having a large latte from McDonalds at £1.89 a go. Works out I save £40ish a month. £40 now goes in a jar & will cover everything we need for my brother's wedding in August (hotel, clothes etc)

"When bananas turn brown, don't throw them away. Cut them in half, push in a stick and freeze them, then you can give your children delicious healthy treats during the long hot days of summer."

This was an actual tip from a good housekeeping mag my mum had several millennia ago. If you did this these days you'd have social services on your back in an instant.

Clinique is 10% off at Boots at the moment with double points on the Boots card too.

""When bananas turn brown, don't throw them away. Cut them in half, push in a stick and freeze them, then you can give your children delicious healthy treats during the long hot days of summer."

This was an actual tip from a good housekeeping mag my mum had several millennia ago. If you did this these days you'd have social services on your back in an instant.

"

It's a good one. The frozen banana is like ice cream. Alternatively, use it in your nutribullet to make a smoothie without having to add ice/ice-cream etc.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

""When bananas turn brown, don't throw them away. Cut them in half, push in a stick and freeze them, then you can give your children delicious healthy treats during the long hot days of summer."

"

one summer holidays my mum who must have been hard pushed to keep four hungry kids happy tried giving us a handful of cornflakes instead of crisps . Needless to say we weren't fooled. If she'd given us a frozen banana on a stick I think we would have mutinied.

Grantham

"I know was just messing. They are why I have so much work particularly from women

And old dear that live down the Rd from me was told £700 to get her car car threw it's 2nd mot and just happened to tell ask me about it as she was walking her dog past my house. I persuaded her to let me take it. it needed nothing and passed. "

I like you

Grantham

"Use 1 ply of your 2-ply toilet roll and it will last twice as long.

Use both sides and..."

If you have children issue them with 1 toilet roll each a week. They soon stop over using

South East Midlands NOT

If you smoke...stop! Seriously. I switched to vaping and the saving is about £40 a week on a 20 a day habit (smoked a cheap brand too!)

Use both sides and...

If you have children issue them with 1 toilet roll each a week. They soon stop over using "

ours get through toilet roll in no time - they're incredibly frugal with toothpaste though

Chams or Socials

Use both sides and...

If you have children issue them with 1 toilet roll each a week. They soon stop over using

ours get through toilet roll in no time - they're incredibly frugal with toothpaste though"

It's the same here!!

Buy less stuff.

[Removed by poster at 25/02/16 23:35:52]

"Buy less stuff."

Top Answer

xx

By *mojeeCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"I picked up a tip recently and discovered something I didn't know, so I'm sharing.

"

Eye test are free anyway

Eye test are free anyway "

They're not anywhere I go.

"[Removed by poster at 25/02/16 23:35:52]"

. I saw that.

Always carry a doll wrapped in a blanket in the boot of your car. That way you can park in supermarkets parent & child spaces without the agony of having children.

"[Removed by poster at 25/02/16 23:35:52]

. I saw that. "

Eye test are free anyway "

Not unless you are on benefits or in a particular category like the glaucoma one, they aren't.

"If you smoke...stop! Seriously. I switched to vaping and the saving is about £40 a week on a 20 a day habit (smoked a cheap brand too!)"

I stopped altogether and saved nearly 70 quid a week

Eye test are free anyway

Not unless you are on benefits or in a particular category like the glaucoma one, they aren't."

You qualify for a free NHS funded sight test if you are:

aged under 16, or aged under 19 and in full-time education

aged 60 or over

registered blind or partially sighted

diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma

aged 40 or over and you are the parent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a person diagnosed with glaucoma, or you have been advised by an ophthalmologist that you are at risk of glaucoma

eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher

a prisoner on leave from prison

You are also entitled to a free NHS sight test if:

you receive Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not contribution based)

you receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

you receive Income-based Employment and Support Allowance

you receive Universal Credit and meet the criteria

you are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate

you are named on a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)

People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help.

Also read about the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).

one summer holidays my mum who must have been hard pushed to keep four hungry kids happy tried giving us a handful of cornflakes instead of crisps . Needless to say we weren't fooled. If she'd given us a frozen banana on a stick I think we would have mutinied. "

They're actually really nice.. If you like banana.. Dip the top in chocolate first

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "offer" from many single men to accompany women to clubs.

"I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "offer" from many single men to accompany women to clubs. "

That's not money saving for the women though! Not much of an "offer" really.

"Clinique is 10% off at Boots at the moment with double points on the Boots card too.

"

That's rubbish then. I need something from Lancome!

"Clinique is 10% off at Boots at the moment with double points on the Boots card too.

That's rubbish then. I need something from Lancome!"

I don't like the taste of Lancome lipsticks so I didn't check out the offers there.

I always ask for samples too. I got a Clinique face wash and a scrub this time. All the mini mascaras had gone.

Manchester

And old dear that live down the Rd from me was told £700 to get her car car threw it's 2nd mot and just happened to tell ask me about it as she was walking her dog past my house. I persuaded her to let me take it. it needed nothing and passed.

I like you "

I just tell the butler the budget, he gives the housekeeper shopping money and stuff appears.

But Gordon Brown gave cancer patients free prescriptions which saves me about £100 a month

That's rubbish then. I need something from Lancome!

I don't like the taste of Lancome lipsticks so I didn't check out the offers there.

I always ask for samples too. I got a Clinique face wash and a scrub this time. All the mini mascaras had gone.

"

I need skincare stuff - Bifacil - I don't use their lipstick.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Eye test are free anyway

Not unless you are on benefits or in a particular category like the glaucoma one, they aren't."

they are at Tescos at the moment

Eye test are free anyway

Not unless you are on benefits or in a particular category like the glaucoma one, they aren't.

they are at Tescos at the moment "

Yeahbut you have to go to Tesco!

One couldn't possibly been seen anywhere other than the Horrid's food hall or Fortnum and Mason.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Eye test are free anyway

One couldn't possibly been seen anywhere other than the Horrid's food hall or Fortnum and Mason."

Wear dark glasses and a scarf

By *umpleteazerWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I went through bank statement and phoned all the companies I had DDS with. Basically just told each one I felt I was paying too much and what could they do. If they wouldn't do anything I went on a comparison website and swapped where I could. Saved £2,300 over the year. Even the RAC just knocked a hundred quid off. House insurance went from £42 to £9! Wish I'd done it sooner

Eye test are free anyway

One couldn't possibly been seen anywhere other than the Horrid's food hall or Fortnum and Mason.

Wear dark glasses and a scarf "

I do that anyway. Blasted paparazzi.

Don't spend it all on sweeties.

one summer holidays my mum who must have been hard pushed to keep four hungry kids happy tried giving us a handful of cornflakes instead of crisps . Needless to say we weren't fooled. If she'd given us a frozen banana on a stick I think we would have mutinied.

They're actually really nice.. If you like banana.. Dip the top in chocolate first "

The stick or the banana ?

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Decide to buy an Aston Martin.

Then actually go and buy a Ford.

Massive saving.

Put cornflakes in your tyres:

Then as you drive in, your neighbours will think you have a gravel drive

Always shop around for insurance etc.. I saved £150 on car insurance and plan on doing the same for my dad's insurance when due .

Also if a college that does beauty or hairdressing training is near you ,their always looking for people to practise on .a friend went to one and saved a third on her normal cut and colour the only downside took twice as long as tutor double checked everything .

They do this in Bristol college and the students studing food /hospitality also run a restaurant there.the foods great and for a fraction of the price .

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Decide to buy an Aston Martin.

Then actually go and buy a Ford.

Massive saving.

Put cornflakes in your tyres:

Then as you drive in, your neighbours will think you have a gravel drive

"

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Buy your clothes from charity shops if you think they smell fusty and of dead people then go and have a look how they've changed.

Second hand rose me

Do they have pictures of the dead people changing?

Or do they just change them out the back?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

Oi not all garages rip people off "

They're do all charge for plugging in their "computer". I personally think that's a rip off. It's a took which tells the garage what the fault is.

Cal

To save on motoring repairs costs...don't buy a Peugeot

South East Midlands NOT

"If you smoke...stop! Seriously. I switched to vaping and the saving is about £40 a week on a 20 a day habit (smoked a cheap brand too!)

I stopped altogether and saved nearly 70 quid a week"

I never spent 70 quid a week!

My current spend is about £1 a week on e-liquid. I think i'll stick with this habit. I'm not ready or willing to say goodbye to nicotine just yet.

South East Midlands NOT

"I just tell the butler the budget, he gives the housekeeper shopping money and stuff appears.

But Gordon Brown gave cancer patients free prescriptions which saves me about £100 a month "

On the note of prescriptions you can save if you have multiple prescriptions and aren't a cancer patient. (sorry to hear)

I can't remember how as i've gone back down to 1 prescription a month so never took it up!

Maybe ask a pharmacist.

Use both sides and...

If you have children issue them with 1 toilet roll each a week. They soon stop over using "

I think that is like preparing them for prison life..learn to live as a family sharing,respect etc

Instead of pay 2/3 quid for fabreeze .. get a spray bottle and put your normal fabric conditioner

2 parts conditioner to 5 parts water. Smells better then any fabreeze and lasts longer.

To make your own fabric conditioner... use hair conditioner, add a few drops of white vinegar and 4 parts water to 1 part hair conditioner.

To clean windows use white vinegar and newspaper, cheap and very effective. Xx

Instead of shake n vac, mix bi car with baby talc, smells lush x

» Add a new message to this topic