FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Comedy shows that ended too soon or you wish they would make more

Comedy shows that ended too soon or you wish they would make more

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hooter McGavin OP   Man  over a year ago

Exeter

Was watching father ted and I think it's a terrible shame that Dermot Morgan passed away, that show was so funny and it didn't need to be full of swear words, I would love to see more of that, also another series of only fools and horses.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Futurama. It does keep coming back so not sure if it's actually been discontinued.

Exeter

"Futurama. It does keep coming back so not sure if it's actually been discontinued."

Loved bender and zoidburg lol

I like them all but Zoidberg is pretty funny.

My Name is Earl!! Other than Trailer Park Boys (which got crap after Netflix took over), it's the funniest series I've ever watched, and I've watched every season at least twice

Randy and Joy are just comedy masterpieces.

Absolutely gutted that they killed it, and on such a cliffhanger too

"My Name is Earl!! Other than Trailer Park Boys (which got crap after Netflix took over), it's the funniest series I've ever watched, and I've watched every season at least twice

Randy and Joy are just comedy masterpieces.

Absolutely gutted that they killed it, and on such a cliffhanger too "

I have all 4 series box sets. Was gutted when it ended

Gavin and Stacey

You rang ma' Lord

When Auf wiedersien pet finished with that 2 part special,Dennis , Oz and Neville were off to Germany where it all started, think they could of worked on that and introduced some new characters

Gavin and Stacey.

I rarely watch ordinary telli but i loved that show

I love Car Share too but i hope theres another series of it

Drop the dead donkey

Garth marengi's dark place

The IT crowd

And as much as it was the most controversial comedy show ever, brass eye, it changed the world if comedy forever, a friend if mines husband worked for the sun newspaper at the time the pedophile special went out, and was in the office during broadcast, and the phones went mental, everyone threw the writer of that under the bus to save their own skin, but no one ever bought up Neil "dr" fox and his sketch about nonce-sence, and Gary liniker came out if it unscathed too

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Green Wing, I used to love that

By *agicfingerslovelyMan  over a year ago

Rugby

White Van Man also hope Him & Her comes back.

Awww go on go on go on father

im with you on this 1 loved it

"When Auf wiedersien pet finished with that 2 part special,Dennis , Oz and Neville were off to Germany where it all started, think they could of worked on that and introduced some new characters "

I think they should do a remake, about 4 Polish builders who come to England to work on a building site, and a latvian and a couple of estonian guys who get called Polish all the time lol

Rugby

"White Van Man also hope Him & Her comes back."

What is great the Ska backing track and Joel Fry has moved on from White Van to Plebs.

By *aneandpaulCouple  over a year ago

cleveleys

Think Faulty Tower,s was one of the best only 12 episodes you never forget one and never got feed up watching

"Think Faulty Tower,s was one of the best only 12 episodes you never forget one and never got feed up watching "

I totally agree with you I only hope they don't try and bring it back like apparently they are going to with Are You Being Served, Dads Army the movie is apparently awful, oddly enough had this conversation in the chippy the other night lol.

TV shows like this should be left well alone, they are classics in their own right.

Drop the dead donkey.

"When Auf wiedersien pet finished with that 2 part special,Dennis , Oz and Neville were off to Germany where it all started, think they could of worked on that and introduced some new characters

I think they should do a remake, about 4 Polish builders who come to England to work on a building site, and a latvian and a couple of estonian guys who get called Polish all the time lol"

there wouldnt be a touch of sarcasim in your comment by any chance

"Think Faulty Tower,s was one of the best only 12 episodes you never forget one and never got feed up watching

I totally agree with you I only hope they don't try and bring it back like apparently they are going to with Are You Being Served, Dads Army the movie is apparently awful, oddly enough had this conversation in the chippy the other night lol.

TV shows like this should be left well alone, they are classics in their own right."

Open all hours the remake was awful.

Brilliant thread OP.

"Was watching father ted and I think it's a terrible shame that Dermot Morgan passed away, that show was so funny and it didn't need to be full of swear words, I would love to see more of that, also another series of only fools and horses."

I think the swearing in Father Ted was entirely necessary!

I cannot get enough of the Inbetweeners

"Drop the dead donkey

The IT crowd

And as much as it was the most controversial comedy show ever, brass eye, it changed the world if comedy forever, a friend if mines husband worked for the sun newspaper at the time the pedophile special went out, and was in the office during broadcast, and the phones went mental, everyone threw the writer of that under the bus to save their own skin, but no one ever bought up Neil "dr" fox and his sketch about nonce-sence, and Gary liniker came out if it unscathed too"

Most contraversial show ever and I've never heard of it!! Sorry but that title is reserved for South Park...

Anyway, why has nobody mentioned the office yet!?!?

"You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you"

cleveleys

Auf wiedersien was very true to life if you ever worked away from home you did not have to go to Germany to work to be like those lad,s believe me. Was in Tenerife in September was sat next to Tim Healey in a bar my wife pointed him out he looks an old man now but he was fun when he started talking to people a good afternoon and a Euro a pint

"Think Faulty Tower,s was one of the best only 12 episodes you never forget one and never got feed up watching

TV shows like this should be left well alone, they are classics in their own right.

Brilliant thread OP. "

I hated the original too

cleveleys

How does that not surprise me

Allo Allo?

There was a cracking show on channel 4 called nightingales about 3 security guards. Just stopped and never seen again.

I also hope the BBC make another series of from cradle to the grave. That was great

I prefer comedy-drama rather than out-and-out situation comedy......

I loved programs like Scrubs and M*A*S*H,,,,,, and a short lived hospital comedy-drama called St Elsewhere...

Exeter

"Was watching father ted and I think it's a terrible shame that Dermot Morgan passed away, that show was so funny and it didn't need to be full of swear words, I would love to see more of that, also another series of only fools and horses.

I think the swearing in Father Ted was entirely necessary! "

I didn't say there was a problem with the swearing, it was feck they said not fuck and it was still as funny, father Jack saying arse drink and feck all the time, it would not of been the same if it was fuck fuck fuck

Exeter

Brilliant thread OP. "

Oh and thanks lol,

By *ulesnjayCouple  over a year ago

Bury

[Removed by poster at 25/02/16 08:13:46]

Still game....the funniest British comedy since only fools and horses

I'll agree with the OP on Father Ted. Most other comedies have either gone on too long though or finished at the right time.

By *ulesnjayCouple  over a year ago

Bury

Brickleberry was crude but brilliant

Exeter

"I'll agree with the OP on Father Ted. Most other comedies have either gone on too long though or finished at the right time."

So many good scenes, pat mustard the milk man, the priests over 75 annual 5 aside football competition, all the priests suck it the underwear section of the shop, my little horse

Never not laughed at that show

Brilliant thread OP. "

I totally agree and don't understand why they cast Granville as Arkright's character?

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

Brilliant thread OP.

I totally agree and don't understand why they cast Granville as Arkright's character?"

I've only seen a few minutes of one episode but isn't he still playing Granville, just much older ie as he is now ?

Drop the dead donkey was great and way too short.

I am convinced if the USA vote in Trump, and the UK vote in Boris, we will cause political comedy to come back, dead donkey, spitting image etc.

"Green Wing, I used to love that "

Best show ever! I still watch it a few times a year. My ex had a massive crush on the crazy Scottish woman.

Nell

"Brickleberry was crude but brilliant "

I second that one! Definitely an obscure soh required but I found it brilliant

Friends and cold feet were two of my favourites - and apparently they're reviving those!

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"There was a cracking show on channel 4 called nightingales about 3 security guards. Just stopped and never seen again.

"

The writer died, but that show was brilliant.

I think most of the shows that people are mentioning are fondly remembered because they finished on a high. They didn't go on that long as to run out of steam.

However, tomorrow night at 22.35 on BBC1 is Comedy Play house and the first one is entitled Hospital People, where the excellent Tom Binns is playing almost everyone. It may suffer a bit from comparisons to That Peter Kay Thing, but this is going to be worth watching. Binns is the greatest character comedian on the UK circuit

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

You haven't seen me in action yet Tina

Rugby

"There was a cracking show on channel 4 called nightingales about 3 security guards. Just stopped and never seen again.

The writer died, but that show was brilliant.

I think most of the shows that people are mentioning are fondly remembered because they finished on a high. They didn't go on that long as to run out of steam.

However, tomorrow night at 22.35 on BBC1 is Comedy Play house and the first one is entitled Hospital People, where the excellent Tom Binns is playing almost everyone. It may suffer a bit from comparisons to That Peter Kay Thing, but this is going to be worth watching. Binns is the greatest character comedian on the UK circuit

"

Thanks for the heads up

Got to be only fools and horses

"Drop the dead donkey

The IT crowd

And as much as it was the most controversial comedy show ever, brass eye, it changed the world if comedy forever, a friend if mines husband worked for the sun newspaper at the time the pedophile special went out, and was in the office during broadcast, and the phones went mental, everyone threw the writer of that under the bus to save their own skin, but no one ever bought up Neil "dr" fox and his sketch about nonce-sence, and Gary liniker came out if it unscathed too"

Darkplace was a masterpiece but have to agree, Brass Eye is untouchable (Along with Day Today and On the Hour). I can see Dr Fox now sitting at a desk with a crab on it taking nonce sense.

Max and Paddy. Genuinely defies belief they only made one series. Was a real hit with me and my friends.

"I'll agree with the OP on Father Ted. Most other comedies have either gone on too long though or finished at the right time.

So many good scenes, pat mustard the milk man, the priests over 75 annual 5 aside football competition, all the priests suck it the underwear section of the shop, my little horse

Never not laughed at that show"

The Milkman was brilliant. Do you think such a character exists on fab? haha

By *ortland51Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I would hqve loved to have seen more of 'Grass' (starring Simon Day as Billy Bleach). Entirely down to him and that one character. It was broadcast on BBC2 around 2003.

A second series was in the early stages of writing, bit was never commissioned.

Early Doors (Craig Cash and Phil Mealey) is another favourite. Two series of six episodes each and a host of brilliant cast members and characters. Wonderfully funny comedy.

But by some distance, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet is my favourite TV series of all time.

Great thread, OP.

"Think Faulty Tower,s was one of the best only 12 episodes you never forget one and never got feed up watching "
Yes faulty towers great also Steptoe & Son

Only fools

Inbetweeners

Friday night dinner

Gavin and stacey

Him and her!

By *indmill and weetabixCouple  over a year ago

Kettering

It's a tragic shame Rik Mayall passed away, image a one off scumbag collage reunion with Rik as a corporate banker and Vivian as a top harley street Dr reviewing life as students....yes we have a video !!!!

I'm surprised no one's voted for Phoenix Nights

The inflatable bouncy castle is comedy gold

"Friends and cold feet were two of my favourites - and apparently they're reviving those! "

Cold Feet is coming back but Friends isn't the talk is just a reunion on a talk show type format. Matthew Perry also said he won't be there for the rumoured date it was meant to be happening as hes on stage over here.

Faulty Towers I wish there was more of but I doubt the quality would of stayed it was perfect as it was. Almost all the ones I loved started to decline towards the end so pretty happy they ended like Seinfeld, The (US) Office, Always Sunny (Still going but declining)Friends, Scrubs could list about 30 here

I would of loved another series of Gavin & Stacey as someone mentioned that above just to see if Smithy and Ness ever got together properly and to find out what happened on the fishing trip!

The Likely Lads....

Whatever happened to them Eh!

Flight of The Conchords.

A real tragedy that there were only two seasons.

By *ack with a bangCouple  over a year ago

Hastings

Only fools and horses....The late trigger one of the best characters

"Max and Paddy. Genuinely defies belief they only made one series. Was a real hit with me and my friends. "
I'm not the only one who thinks so then!

"I'm surprised no one's voted for Phoenix Nights

The inflatable bouncy castle is comedy gold "

phoenix nights evolved into Max and paddy

It was Fawlty towers as that was basils surname!

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

The inflatable bouncy castle is comedy gold phoenix nights evolved into Max and paddy

"

I personally thought that Max and Paddy had the air of a vanity project and would have really benefitted from having an editor.

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

Green wing....Black Books. ..Smoking Room(bbc3 one room shoot..brilliant) brass eye is classic! ! Cake. ..it's a made up drug

[Removed by poster at 25/02/16 20:33:24]

"Drop the dead donkey

The IT crowd

Some good ones there, particularly Darkplace, but I will see your Brasseye and raise you Jam.

I think Only Fools and Horses should have stopped when they sold the watch. Some of the later ones were dire.

Arrested Development

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

IT Crowd

The Fast Show

By *elly totsCouple  over a year ago

teesside

The inflatable bouncy castle is comedy gold "

Fawlty towers - only made 12 episodes sooo funny

the likely lads

By *funtimes.Man  over a year ago

Preston

Balls of steel

By *utty_JiggleCouple  over a year ago

Black Country

It was a real shame when the actor playing Ted Crilley passed away. The 3rd series of father ted was brilliant, every episode was hysterical.

I have a few which I wished carried on going.

Another of Graham lineham's ones was black books. Same sort of humour as father ted.

Yes minister (original ones) were brilliant. And scary that even today some of the conversations they have you can relate to, today's politics.

Porridge

The good life

Reggie Perrin

League of Gentlemen

Nighty night

Shameless

All sorely missed!!

By *ichpickingsMan  over a year ago

London and Essex

Vic and Bob's House of Fools. Shame the BBC axed it after only two series.

Friday night dinner

Gavin and stacey

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Does anyone remember hardware?

Chelmsford 123.

Agree with Early Doors. Simple but brilliant idea with excellent casting.

Any of the Steve Coogan comedies that featured his Paul and Pauline Calf characters, with John Thompson playing Pauline's boyfriend "Fat Bob".

The reason why the best ones ended is one of the reasons why there the best ones...

xx

"Agree with Early Doors. Simple but brilliant idea with excellent casting.

Any of the Steve Coogan comedies that featured his Paul and Pauline Calf characters, with John Thompson playing Pauline's boyfriend "Fat Bob". "

I enjoyed Saxondale.

By *utty_JiggleCouple  over a year ago

Black Country

"The reason why the best ones ended is one of the reasons why there the best ones...

xx"

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

KYTV

Yes Minister ....

By *ighland_RoseCouple  over a year ago

Brigadoon

Spaced

Hippies

Is it Bill Bailey

Laid

Father Ted

Black books

Still Game

Green Wing

Red Dwarf

Blackadder

The young ones

Northern Exposure

Phoenix nights

Jeeves and Wooster

I loved all of those, and more I can't bring to mind at the moment, but most of them I would prefer to stay in the past rather than risk spoiling their memory with a new series that doesn't live up to the original.

I also think it shows a lack of imagination and willingness to take a risk in new comedies when producers decide to revive something from the past. All those comedies we loved would never have been made if someone hadn't given a new writer a chance.

Wrote a fan fiction pilot for a new black adder years ago. Was my intention to show it someone but lost it.

Hope they make more Arrested Development. One of the most brilliantly written comedies.

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

"And as much as it was the most controversial comedy show ever, brass eye, it changed the world if comedy forever, a friend if mines husband worked for the sun newspaper at the time the pedophile special went out, and was in the office during broadcast, and the phones went mental, everyone threw the writer of that under the bus to save their own skin, but no one ever bought up Neil "dr" fox and his sketch about nonce-sence, and Gary liniker came out if it unscathed too"

Brass Eye doesn't seem to have done Chris Morris's career any harm.

And following a theme above, two of the script writers were Arthur Mathews and Graham Linehan who co wrote Father Ted.

Brilliant thread OP. "

I agree, it was awful. Very unimaginative writing. If they'd made Granville the same as he used to be in the old series, and the lad more like Arkwright, it may have been watchable, but they just had David Jason doing a poor imitation of Ronnie Barker.

Personally I think they should leave all the old classics alone, and think for themselves.

"Does anyone remember hardware? "

Jeeves and woostwr but it wasn the same after series 1xx

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

I'd love to see another series of I'm Alan Partridge. The first series where he lives in a hotel is my all time favourite comedy series. The episode of him trying to convince the BBC editor to give him a new tv series, and the desperate ideas he comes up with as he rejects every idea of his, is comedy genius.

"The Likely Lads....

Whatever happened to them Eh! "

James Bolam turned into a miserable git.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Last of the summer wine should have stopped after the first pilot episode.

And IT crowd bits - people above raved on it, but reminded me I loathed it. Contrived, stiff, predictable and bland.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Benidorm.....six series too many....flogging a dead horse springs to mind......a lot more porridge would of being nice

"IT Crowd

The Fast Show"

I love the "are we not men" football episode with moss talking like he's down with the terraces...

» Add a new message to this topic