FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Celiacs / gluten intolerance?

Celiacs / gluten intolerance?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ub_liminalTV OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Belfast

Noticed in the supermarket a few days ago the increased visibility of gluten free varients of big brand items.

Beyond celiacs and genuine gluten sensitivity, is there any tangible benefits in avoiding gluten containing food stuffs?

Or is it a gimmick many manufacturers are using to add a premium (it seems gluten free items are CONSIDERABLY pricier) to ordinarily reasonably priced everyday items?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"Noticed in the supermarket a few days ago the increased visibility of gluten free varients of big brand items.

Beyond celiacs and genuine gluten sensitivity, is there any tangible benefits in avoiding gluten containing food stuffs?

Or is it a gimmick many manufacturers are using to add a premium (it seems gluten free items are CONSIDERABLY pricier) to ordinarily reasonably priced everyday items?"

A relative of mine has celiacs, I tasted some of the gluten free stuff, it didn't taste nice at all.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The number I get is getting higher every week. And dairy free

Belfast

Celiacs is supposedly very uncommon yet I have two friends around my age that have the condition.

I'm curious really as traditionally wheat and other gluten containing grains weren't traditionally a staple of UK / Irish people's diet (only the very rich and priviledged ate them and only very occasionally) until modern agricultural techniques allowed for its wide cultivation within British / Irish climates. Is the increased level of intolerance related to its ubiquity in processed food stuffs?

Or as one theory suggests as celiacs is an autoimmunes condition is it related to overly sanitary conditions most live in these days?

No wonder celiacs get food items of prescription, to buy gluten free in the supermarket.. It seems you'd need to be very wealthy.

By *heBakeOLiteGirlWoman  over a year ago

62 West Wallaby Street (not real address)

A lot of it you pay extra for when you don't need to if you actually read the label. Tomato sauce for example is gluten free anyway but the special gluten free tomato sauce is twice the price of normal.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ibs is more and more common amd they are advised, i think,to avoid too much gluten and wheat that would be my guess.

Belfast

"A lot of it you pay extra for when you don't need to if you actually read the label. Tomato sauce for example is gluten free anyway but the special gluten free tomato sauce is twice the price of normal. "

Something to do with barely malt vinegar?

Recall one of my friends scolding an overly zealous chip shop counter person for nearly smothering their chips in it.

Barely malt vinegar (made with barely - a gluten containing grain) is a bit divisive. Some say although made with barely it contains too negligible an amount to provoke so is safe, others avoid completely to minimise potential of reaction.

It's wildly expensive though!

» Add a new message to this topic