FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > saying sorry

saying sorry

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Its amazing how texts can be misread and reading over messages again it looks like you were being pissy when you thought you were being funny.

Its important to say that you're sorry

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

You're forgive

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

N

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't forgive you

By *oxiAnneWoman  over a year ago

Not on a Hot Gin Roof :/

It's important to say sorry if you're in the wrong, have hurt someone & genuinely mean that you are sorry.

'Sorry' can be such a throwaway word at times that it doesn't mean anything.

And yes the written word as we see frequently on here can be misconstrued!

Thank you. I often forget that messages are so easy to read differently. What you thought was a fun playful tone can come over like a grump

By *ingle Beds LassWoman  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

There is one person who keeps misconstruing the 'tone' of my messages to the point I can't even be arsed anymore as its not worth the shit. And that is not meant as a rant lol

I appreciate what people are saying. Tone is a difficult thing to grasp from a message, and even harder to convey

"It's important to say sorry if you're in the wrong, have hurt someone & genuinely mean that you are sorry.

And yes the written word as we see frequently on here can be misconstrued!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naleynXS7yo

Just drop that off here.

"It's important to say sorry if you're in the wrong, have hurt someone & genuinely mean that you are sorry.

"

G

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

It is important to say sorry if it's ment

By *omethingSoGoodAboutSofiaWoman  over a year ago

Blackburn/Preston

'Sorry not sorry' winds me up! What does it actually mean?!

G"

Its not a throw away sentiment. If the message was mis-communicated or stated poorly then I think sorry is very appropriate and necessary

"It is important to say sorry if it's ment

"

It certainly is meant

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naleynXS7yo

Just drop that off here. "

Hahaha, spot on!! (I'm the black dude!)

Them being misread could be a sign of a deeper problem.

If someone has misinterpreted what you said or meant then yes, apologise for causing confusion or a misunderstanding.

The best bit of advice I got on the subject was 'if you're genuinely sorry and in the wrong then apologise. Once. And mean it. But only once, don't keep on continuing apologising once you have'.

[Removed by poster at 22/02/16 10:19:42]

G

Its not a throw away sentiment. If the message was mis-communicated or stated poorly then I think sorry is very appropriate and necessary"

Sometimes it's also the way a message is received though too. Sometimes messages can be poorly read or received so it should be a two way process. I had a block the other day from someone who totally misread what I posted on here, and I apologised for the confusion despite reading what I wrote back many times and being clear it didn't say anything like what they said it did!

So as I said in a previous reply, apologise once and mean it, then it's up to the other party to accept that it not. If they don't, it's their problem not yours

...Up on the Downs

I've adapted a really good quote I saw on the subject:

"Apologizing doesn't need to mean you are wrong and they are right. It can just means you value your relationship more than your ego."

"I've adapted a really good quote I saw on the subject:

"Apologizing doesn't need to mean you are wrong and they are right. It can just means you value your relationship more than your ego."

"

Or that you're male and married

I've apologised to people for written communication before (including on here). But not because what I wrote was misinterpreted -rather because I was in a pissy mood and shouldn't have written it to begin with.

Things can be misinterpreted on here, but sometimes it may be easier to say what we wrote was misconstrued or written poorly when really we shouldn't have written it to begin with.

I'm not saying this to you in particular, OP. It's more of a general observation.

-Courtney

The only true way to say sorry is to modify behaviour. Words are the initial gesture I believe.

I only said morning

G

Its not a throw away sentiment. If the message was mis-communicated or stated poorly then I think sorry is very appropriate and necessary"

My observation wasn't directed at you specifically ~ I just think people are in the habit of saying 'sorry' whether they genuinely mean it or not.

Children are classic examples of this, they'll volunteer a quick 'sorry' to avoid being told off.

"I only said morning "

It was the tone you said it in

"

Hmm, unless you do it too often/too easily in which case it ceases to have real meaning.

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Belfast

Most gauge sarcasm by vocal intonation, facial expression, body language.. Those things obviously being absent in the world of online communication; Something meant in a humourously disingenuous manner can very conceivably be misinterpreted as prickly, rude or even outright hostile.

"I only said morning

It was the tone you said it in"

"Thank you. I often forget that messages are so easy to read differently. What you thought was a fun playful tone can come over like a grump"

Amen to that... Many a cross word said over a misconstrued text

I say sorry less now - I used to seem to end up saying it all the time to my ex years ago just to keep the peace.

With age - I will apologise but to those that I need to and should, rather than because someone makes you feel like you should for no reason. There's a vast difference.

Sarah

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I would like to say sorry too. I said some thing today to a lady and what I said was not related to her but I think she's taken it the wrong way and I'd like an opportunity to explain. I can't at the moment. So if that person is reading this.....3 years is a long time.

"Thank you. I often forget that messages are so easy to read differently. What you thought was a fun playful tone can come over like a grump

Amen to that... Many a cross word said over a misconstrued text "

Yes well lesson learned on this one

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Maybe some people shouldn't log on to fab when they are having a hate the world day. Lesson learnt

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

I have quite a dry sense of humour .... sometimes ... I think im being humourous ... but if u put a comma , an apostrophe, in the wrong place ...... or forget that kiss at the end .... the friendly , jovial message I have sent takes on a whole new meaning ...

And thats the problem with texting ....

No tone of voice , no facial expression or body language ... so if your reciever takes it the wrong way ....

It can be devastating for both parties ....

And sometimes ends friendships or relationships ...

Xx

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I have quite a dry sense of humour .... sometimes ... I think im being humourous ... but if u put a comma , an apostrophe, in the wrong place ...... or forget that kiss at the end .... the friendly , jovial message I have sent takes on a whole new meaning ...

No tone of voice , no facial expression or body language ... so if your reciever takes it the wrong way ....

It can be devastating for both parties ....

And sometimes ends friendships or relationships ...

Xx "

I'm fucking devastated.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

"Most gauge sarcasm by vocal intonation, facial expression, body language.. Those things obviously being absent in the world of online communication; Something meant in a humourously disingenuous manner can very conceivably be misinterpreted as prickly, rude or even outright hostile.

"

"'Sorry not sorry' winds me up! What does it actually mean?!"

I think it basically means "Go f**k yourself" in a manner of speaking.

I despise the use of this, especially when some of my colleagues use it with a preceeding "hashtag"

By *unCoupleTXCouple  over a year ago

Long_iew

"I have quite a dry sense of humour .... sometimes ... I think im being humourous ... but if u put a comma , an apostrophe, in the wrong place ...... or forget that kiss at the end .... the friendly , jovial message I have sent takes on a whole new meaning ...

No tone of voice , no facial expression or body language ... "

Exactly. I am verrry sarcastic, so I have to be careful to put emoticons and "jk" when I text. Of course, I also really like this meme that says: I'm not actually funny; I'm just really mean, and people think I'm joking.

"Maybe some people shouldn't log on to fab when they are having a hate the world day. Lesson learnt

"

Quite probably, maybe fab should be specifically after the first cup of tea!

I say sorry if it's important. But most of the time I don't give a fuck if I'm misunderstood. It makes life easier.

I thought this was a justin beiber song

Some people deliberately misread things and make out they are worse than was intended.

I won't apologise to those sort of people

By *FuckWellMan  over a year ago

Coventry

It's too easy to be misunderstood via text. It will be even more difficult on this site. There is probably 100 males per single female. So, they won't cry if make this wrong... They still have another 99 to check.

Hope you'll find girls with similar sense of humour

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

apologise on here, not likely.

people revel in outrage and faux indignation, I would never be ended apologising

...Up on the Downs

Hmm, unless you do it too often/too easily in which case it ceases to have real meaning."

Ah, you're interpreting differently I think (QED!). I'm not talking about someone making glib insincere apologies, I'm talking about restoring the connection of the relationship being way more important that scoring a point.

"apologise on here, not likely.

people revel in outrage and faux indignation, I would never be ended apologising"

Exactly

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

G

Its not a throw away sentiment. If the message was mis-communicated or stated poorly then I think sorry is very appropriate and necessary

My observation wasn't directed at you specifically ~ I just think people are in the habit of saying 'sorry' whether they genuinely mean it or not.

Children are classic examples of this, they'll volunteer a quick 'sorry' to avoid being told off."

I think that's because they are continually told ( from tiny toddlers ) Say Sorry. Say Sorry. It's a learned response. They think it's correct.

...Up on the Downs

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Hmm, unless you do it too often/too easily in which case it ceases to have real meaning.

Ah, you're interpreting differently I think (QED!). I'm not talking about someone making glib insincere apologies, I'm talking about restoring the connection of the relationship being way more important that scoring a point."

And that I do agree with. But still, if you have to regularly apologise for something to restore the connection of a relationship, something fundamental has gone tits up along the way that won't be fixed by saying sorry. So I'd stick with too often or too easily still being dangerous

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

I agree with View that some people love to be outraged and take offence at the slightest comment even if it is not made to them or about them.

1. I always say sorry if i'm in the wrong. However............

2. People shouldn't use phone texts for anything other than Yes. No. 9 o clock at the station. type of messages. If you must joke or be sarky use a bloody emoticon. Note I'm not using an emoticon because ............

3. Sorry should only be said if you intend to stop doing what you are doing otherwise be honest and say something nice like . I've always fucking thought/done/wanted that and nothing on this Goddam earth is going to change that. Be prepared for all possible outcomes which are bound to result in .............

...Up on the Downs

Ah, you're interpreting differently I think (QED!). I'm not talking about someone making glib insincere apologies, I'm talking about restoring the connection of the relationship being way more important that scoring a point.

And that I do agree with. But still, if you have to regularly apologise for something to restore the connection of a relationship, something fundamental has gone tits up along the way that won't be fixed by saying sorry. So I'd stick with too often or too easily still being dangerous "

No argument there.

» Add a new message to this topic