FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > WE ALL NEED TO DO THIS

WE ALL NEED TO DO THIS

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *teborah OP   Couple  over a year ago

warrington

THIS DEFINITELY DOES SEEM TO MAKE SENSE.

LET'S TRY IT!

We are hitting £129.9 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 per litre. So Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it. and if you agree, join in...

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers, control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year (2011) DON'T purchase ANY fuel from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers all around the world.

Well, it's really simple to do!!

Please don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach the millions of fuel-buyers we need to make it work.

I am sending this note to at least 30 people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people

(or as many as you can). That's all you have to do plus NOT buy motor fuel at ESSO/BP).

So how long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 plus MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

AND PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES.

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc. i.e. Boycott BP and Esso.

Just imagine the panic at BP and Esso Headquarters when

the fuel sales (and product sales from their forecourt shops) suddenly begin to fall.

Send this to ten e-addresses (or as many as you can) and not buy anything at BP or Esso forecourts. A simple yet effective way to see what a difference People Power can make.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

totally agree with you! i walk to work now, i no everyone cant do that but theres no way im paying that price! they put things up all the time but never put the wages up so at least you could cope with it! WANKERS!!!!

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

It's about the 10th time I've seen this in about the past 4 years....so I'm guessing it hasn't worked.

Nice one, we never buy from either of those two anyway out of principle.

We use Sainsbury, Asda or Tesco.

Its so easy to not use the big two, don't know why more folk don't do it now.

XXXX

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"It's about the 10th time I've seen this in about the past 4 years....so I'm guessing it hasn't worked. "

I couldn't be bothered reading it!

Sorry... but I guess I'll keep my head in the sand.

By *inktherapyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

i didn't read past the 1st couple of lines either - but would like to point out that it's 134.9 at my local

"Nice one, we never buy from either of those two anyway out of principle.

XXXX

"

I've never seen a Sainsbury, Asda or Tesco oil refinery. Where do they get their petrol from?

XXXX

I've never seen a Sainsbury, Asda or Tesco oil refinery. Where do they get their petrol from?"

"i didn't read past the 1st couple of lines either - but would like to point out that it's 134.9 at my local "

It's about 10p a litre more than that in parts of the Highlands and Islands.

"It's about the 10th time I've seen this in about the past 4 years....so I'm guessing it hasn't worked. "

Yeap I agree, actions speak louder than words people, and it seems people just agree or join the hundreds of facebook groups that are out there, but in the end do nothing

XXXX

I've never seen a Sainsbury, Asda or Tesco oil refinery. Where do they get their petrol from?"

who cares, as long as it is cheeper

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

Makes no sense whatsoever

fuel duty is just short of 59p per litre

And you then pay VAT not only on the cost of teh fuel, but on the fuel duty aswell

Blame teh goverment, whichever party they are from, they caused this

not only that fule duty is due to rise in April, that measn as above, the tax you already pay will rise, but so will the VAT you pasy on it

its not all the oil companies fault

Car drivers have got a far better deal over the last few years than public transport users. I'd like to quote from a favourite blog of mine:

"The Department for Transport has just laid before Parliament a report entitled Creating Growth, Cutting Carbon; Making Sustainable Local Transport Happen. It includes the following information:

"According to the Retail Price Index, the cost of buying a car fell by 29% in cash terms between 1999 and 2009, while general RPI inflation over the same period was 29%. However, the cost of car maintenance, petrol and oil, and tax and insurance all increased markedly faster than general inflation. The "combined" cost of motoring (covering purchase price and running costs) fell by 11% relevant to the general rate of inflation. Over the same period rail fares rose by 43% and bus and coach fares rose by 58%"

Anyone like me who doesn't drive knows how the public transport user has been stung horrendously.

XXXX

"

never seen an oil rig yet or billions of pounds spent searching and drilling by the tesco/asda/lidl,s exploratory teams...and you get your fuel a whopping penny cheaper per litre!

2 litres of cola is as expensive as petrol so why squalk on that your being ripped?

never heard of anyone dying or a major explosion at the pop factory.

imagine if you put the so called big two out of business(would never happen) dont you think the supermarkets would would then bump up thier price through lack of competition?

finally bp/esso fuel does less damage to your car than supermarket fuel due to the addatives and thats from a mechanic not us

"Makes no sense whatsoever

And you then pay VAT not only on the cost of teh fuel, but on the fuel duty aswell

not only that fule duty is due to rise in April, that measn as above, the tax you already pay will rise, but so will the VAT you pasy on it

its not all the oil companies fault"

I think I've asked this question on every fuel price thread on Fab but I've yet (I think) to see an answer.

Despite what anyone thinks about the Tory-led government's tragic economic policy, it's based on getting a certain revenue from fuel duty and VAT.

If that's going to be reduced - where else are people prepared to pay more to compensate for the loss to the Exchequer? More VAT? Income tax? National Insurance?

The refineries are the key not the petrol stations.

Most of which are franchised out to 1 man bands.

Supermarkets and others by their fuels wholesale.

With all this apathy and "head in the sand attitude", is it any wonder this country is going to the dogs.

Whatever happened to the backbone of the British public, it seems to dissolve more with each passing year.

FFS, is boycotting the big two such a hard thing to do?

Instead of making worthless excuses, as the Brits are prone to doing, just do it and see what happens.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain!

XXXX

Apathy is catching s`well....

I lived near Fawley oil refinery near So`ton...and a Tescos tanker would follow a Shell tanker et al.....and then additives would be added to each tanker...commensurate with each tankers requirements....detergents etc...

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

I think I've asked this question on every fuel price thread on Fab but I've yet (I think) to see an answer.

Despite what anyone thinks about the Tory-led government's tragic economic policy, it's based on getting a certain revenue from fuel duty and VAT.

If that's going to be reduced - where else are people prepared to pay more to compensate for the loss to the Exchequer? More VAT? Income tax? National Insurance? "

exactly

on teh fuel duty figure i posted, another 11p on that is vat (that does not inlude teh vat on the original price of the fuel)

that means at least 71p of every £1.29 litre is tax,

If that's going to be reduced - where else are people prepared to pay more to compensate for the loss to the Exchequer? More VAT? Income tax? National Insurance?

exactly

on teh fuel duty figure i posted, another 11p on that is vat (that does not inlude teh vat on the original price of the fuel)

that means at least 71p of every £1.29 litre is tax, "

That's as maybe and we're all aware of that.

However if the squeeze is put on the big two the chances are they, in turn, will pressurise the government.

The government are much more likely to bend to the multi billion pound oil companies than they are to the British public.

They get their supplies from the likes of BP & Shell refineries, so boycotting their the BP & Shell stations will only hurt the petrol station franchisee who is already on a ridiculously low profit margin to compete.

exactly

However if the squeeze is put on the big two the chances are they, in turn, will pressurise the government.

The government are much more likely to bend to the multi billion pound oil companies than they are to the British public."

Even if that were to happen, and I doubt it would, it still doesn't answer the 'where do we get the money needed to make up the shortfall' question.

[Removed by poster at 27/01/11 13:37:59]

Esso and Tesco have an mutual business arrangement....worth mentioning mayhaps..which ain`t mentioned in the OP..

As an aside modern petrol sucks fer old cars and bikes....the detergents fuck the engine..which was designed around oil deposits being present in the engine ...

Anyhow I`m waffling...

... and finding 4**** fuel is getting harder and harder

exactly

The government are much more likely to bend to the multi billion pound oil companies than they are to the British public.

Even if that were to happen, and I doubt it would, it still doesn't answer the 'where do we get the money needed to make up the shortfall' question."

Well, at the risk of seeming contentious and un P.C, we could start with cutting the millions given to immigrants/asylum seekers and foreign aid, usually to countries that invariably turn against us.

Only when we sort out our own financial problems should we start being benevolent to others.

However, that doesn't mean not helping in disaster situations. R

"

Well, at the risk of seeming contentious and un P.C, we could start with cutting the millions given to immigrants/asylum seekers and foreign aid, usually to countries that invariably turn against us.

Only when we sort out our own financial problems should we start being benevolent to others.

However, that doesn't mean not helping in disaster situations. R"

Foreign Aid is one of the few expenditures this Tory-led government has decided to ringfence so I doubt there'll be savings to be made there.

If fuel duty is going to come down, something else is going to have to go up - yet nobody seems prepared to say what that ought to be.

Might also be worth considering that what one saves in one hand might be taken from the other ......with reduced cash shortfalls in private pension plans .....or interests in the likes of say... Exxon Mobil...

The BBC is reporting that Osborne has told a local radio station that he's 'looking at' not applying the upcoming duty increase.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Well like what has already been said I have just come from filling my van up with diesel and there was a bloody great big BP petrol tanker there that looked like it had just filled up the tanks

And I'm sure I have seen an Esso tanker at the tescos near us before

So a bit of a flaw in the OP's post methinks

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

1. Oil is a diminishing resource.

2. In a capitalist economy, reduced supply of an in demand product will create a price premium.

I try not to whinge about things I can't affect.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

[Removed by poster at 27/01/11 18:26:30]

i buy mine at sainsburys as then i get points for shopping

Morrisons is 2p cheaper else where.

Anyhow two main factors (besides tax) affect petrol prices.

1) Refining capacity, there was and still is to a degree a shortfall in the ability to turn crude to petrol etc.

2) It is more expensive to get the oil out the ground (shale oil and the likes are only viable at higher price per barrel and the light sweet crude is much harder to come by). So the cost per barrel is higher, thus higher prices for us.

So either magic more sweet cheap oil into existence or perhaps look at why ever increasing demand is not possible in a closed system... And yes we are not a "closed" system as we have energy from the Sun, but we are burning energy accumulated over millions of years in a few centuries, any replacement energy source needs to be of the same magnitude.

The main failing is the lack of firm leadership and the tacking of difficult choices; what you get with a 2/4 year political cycle, no long term strategy, you have to keep the "whining" masses happy.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Yeah it's a great idea.... if it wasn't for the fact BP and Esso make pennies from their petrol stations in the UK compared to the money they make through their other business ventures.

Haven't you noticed how many petrol stations have closed down in the last 10-20 years?

Do you not notice how many closed petrol stations have been closed for a very very very long time.

If BP and Esso decide to pull out and shut their pertol stations because they are no longer making the small profit they currently make (may be keeping the ones run as franchises at MSA's).... what do you think will happen to the price of petrol at the supermarkets?

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

i am all for gettin fuel prices down but targetting bp and esso is def not the answer lets face facts a litre of diesel costin 131.9p equates to 49p cost of fuel the rest is tax how much cheaper can it get just targeting petrol stations its the government and all that tax that needs addressed payin 20% vat on tax duty is nothing short of extortion

If anyone thinks this will work, then have a look who owns 50% of English oil refineries.All of the big supermarkets buy the fuel they sell from the big 3,Shell,BP, and Texaco.

Boycotting the fuel stations will simply put the people that own them out of work.

Buy from the supermaket as its cheeper, but the profit still goes to the big 3.

The fuel duty is exactly the same rate no matter who you buy from, so the government still gets its cash.

Retail fuel profits are minute compared to the profits they make elswhere.

Its not the fault of the oil companies, but the fault of various British governments over the last 30 years. Approximately 75% of the price of fuel is tax. Altogether a sixth of all treasury revenues come courtesy of a plethora of charges, fines, taxes and tolls on the vehicle user, which is truly a colossal amount to come from just a single source. If you want lower motoring taxes, lobby your MP....!!

Have just read my post again and it should have read that while filling my van today at the Asda filling station I was using it was getting it's petrol from the big BP tanker that was also on the forecourt

Suppose the supermarkets have to get there petrol from somewhere

"Have just read my post again and it should have read that while filling my van today at the Asda filling station I was using it was getting it's petrol from the big BP tanker that was also on the forecourt

Suppose the supermarkets have to get there petrol from somewhere

"

And because they buy it in such huge quantities they're going to get it a wee bit cheaper than the guy who has one or two petrol stations.

this is just silly really

its not the big oil companys that are pushing the prices up its mainly the vat on it

another increase is due in April unless the government change their mind

if you really want to make a difference and get your voice heard complain to your M P or go to gov.com and start a petition

By *hite SnakeMan  over a year ago

leeds

They're stopping people smoking and trying to stop people boozing got to get the tax from somewhere so hit the motorist.

The least the government could do is to put diesel on a par with petrol.

At one time it was vastly cheaper, then more people started using diesel and getting more MPG thereby saving resources and what do the successive greedy governments do......make it dearer than petrol.

So much for their policy of saving energy.

XXXX

By *LBishCouple  over a year ago

near bury st edmunds

Supermarket fuel is cheep russian crap, and can ruin ya car. I had a problem with my engin managment light comming on all the time. guy who races cars said you but it from tesco dont ya. I said yes, he said well dont but it from a more reliable place ie Bp, esso jet or any other leading one and it wont happen. Guess what, that light has never come on since i soped useing tesco fuel. It is ixed so much he recons they aint allowed to use it. Anyone having trouble with engine managment light give it a try. xxx

So guess buying supermarket fuel aint a option for me, as not fucking my car up again xxx

But yehh agree the ppl of the U need to make a stand, remmember when it went upto 80p there was outrage and lorrys clogging up motorways in protest etc etc, so why we letting them get away with it now. But having threads like this and the one to pass the emails on dont work, cause ppl choose to burry their head in the sand too much and dont stand up for their rights. SHAME

i live in the middle of nowhere and have no choice...i have to drive an additional 40 miles for the next station and the only bugger out of pocket then will be me!

"Supermarket fuel is cheep russian crap, and can ruin ya car. I had a problem with my engin managment light comming on all the time. ..........."

The usual cure is to disconnect the bulb

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

Or we could fund public transport,stop thinking having a car was a right and let go of our reliance on fossil fuels.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Or we could fund public transport,stop thinking having a car was a right and let go of our reliance on fossil fuels."

Couldnt agree more, put the money into good affordable public transport and get all the cars off the road

» Add a new message to this topic