FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > MSN web cam

MSN web cam

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I need help from the techies out there!

My web cam is recognised and picked up by messenger, I can see it when I try to make a video call but the person I'm calling can't. The little web cam icon isn't coming up next to my display pic either.

I went to options/personal and the tick box in the older version saying show webcam isn't there. And that's the best windowslive help centre can give me....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Have you downloaded the latest version of live messenger?

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

yep,that could be it and also,if you have another/had another cam on your pc/laptop,you need to make that your main one,its somewhere in control panel or access and defaults i think,fingers legs and evey other bit crossed for you,lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It can be to do with their settings.. We are having all manner of problems with ours since msn went to live messenger not just messenger..

CAn only do video call, not show my webcam.. its really annoying..

Katie.x

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

i had a new cam tru usb on my netbook and i had to switch preferred cam around before it would work on my live messenger

xxx,

I have the lateset messenger and the correct web cam is set up. I can see myself and I can see and hear the people I'm trying to talk to just they can't hear me lol

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

Just a thought... do you have the Fab chat room open whilst you're also using MSN? It could be that the webcam is being allocated to the chat room, so MSN can't then get access to it.

It's not, although I did wonder if that might be the problem. I have gone on cam in chat although not today. I had the forums up, would that still be a problem?

I've used msn cam for years. Lately it seems that people who have downloaded the latest version have lost the ability to web cam and have to video call which is VERY annoying.

Too sodding right. Although right now, I'd take that as an option!!

The newest version of msn is a bit ropey to say the least. I reverted to a previous version to get back some missing features. (change background colour etc).

Also it sounds like the version the other person is running is not compatible with what you are running.

If msn is showing your cam in the test section it should be ok.

Note the cam icon may not appear if you uncheck the option to make it visible to other people.

Good point I'll see what version they're using.

Oddly, I've not got the option to show or hide cam - does anyone else using the new shitty version have that??

swindon

"It's not, although I did wonder if that might be the problem. I have gone on cam in chat although not today. I had the forums up, would that still be a problem?"

No, just having the forums shouldn't cause it. I was thinking it was the Flash applet that's used in the chat room which had grabbed the webcam and was keeping it to itself, and as Flash isn't used in the rest of the site, I can't see how it would keep it's stranglehold.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

swindon

"Good point I'll see what version they're using.

Oddly, I've not got the option to show or hide cam - does anyone else using the new shitty version have that??"

I don't use MSN very often so I'm prepared to upgrade it to the latest version if I'm not already running, and will find my webcam and see if I have the option or not.

I know what you mean, I just wondered because it immediately starts up my cam when I open chat. Oh well.

swindon

I've got MSN running (or Windows Live Messenger as it seems to be called now) and have plugged my webcam in.

I don't have any option to show / hide webcam either. I'm pretty sure the old version used to have it, so looks like Microsoft have removed it now.

I can only choose "send a video message", but the only contacts I have on MSN are all offline so I can't check this.

My webcam has a small light on the front which indicates if it's working or not, and in MSN it's switched off... suggesting it's not.

swindon

Oh, I spoke too soon.

I added the menu bar (by clicking on my name and selecting Show Menu Bar... which isn't obvious to me) and now I can go to Tools - Set up Audio and Video.

When I do that the webcam lights up and starts to work. But I still only have the "start a video call" and "send a video message" options, but nothing to enable / disable the webcam like I'm pretty sure I used to have.

That's exactly what I got. And then when I started a video call, I could see and hear him but he couldn't see or hear me lol

Its been on going problem with new msn and its software for cams there is options to go on to set up cam and audio on it which will let you then use it!

But funny how many that say they dont use msn or cam that do !

Perhaps some people use msn and cam for things other than swinging?

"I've used msn cam for years. Lately it seems that people who have downloaded the latest version have lost the ability to web cam and have to video call which is VERY annoying. "

This is the problem we are having and it eats cpu..

Any cures for it would be greatly appreciated.. Maybe if we ALL contacted support on the same day they may listen.

Katie.x

in chat box there is a little white clipboard tab if you click on it then go to tools then audio and vid set up then go through the set up what it tells you todo ive never had a problem since .

"in chat box there is a little white clipboard tab if you click on it then go to tools then audio and vid set up then go through the set up what it tells you todo ive never had a problem since ."

I have done all that with mine.. Still can not do show webcam.. only do video call.. which really does cause high cpu usage..

Katie.x

"in chat box there is a little white clipboard tab if you click on it then go to tools then audio and vid set up then go through the set up what it tells you todo ive never had a problem since .

I have done all that with mine.. Still can not do show webcam.. only do video call.. which really does cause high cpu usage..

Katie.x"

i dont know then as i dont have a problem with mine but hardly use it anyway

"i dont know then as i dont have a problem with mine but hardly use it anyway "

Nope its only been a problem since it became Live messenger not messenger.. and there is no way to go back to just that..

Show webcam was loads better.. and it is starting to play up during play times too.

Katie.x

"i dont know then as i dont have a problem with mine but hardly use it anyway

Nope its only been a problem since it became Live messenger not messenger.. and there is no way to go back to just that..

Show webcam was loads better.. and it is starting to play up during play times too.

Katie.x"

Sorry cant help Katie

"Perhaps some people use msn and cam for things other than swinging? "

sorry did anyone mention it was just for swinging ? no i dont think it was as msn is for chatting to friends and family as well.

To right ( swapped profiles just to confuse)

I DO not talk to anyone from here on MSN, its just for 2 peopple.

Katie. x

I only have people i class as friends on mine and yes there a select few from here on it as its easier than fab messaging or cheaper than texting all the time

I've found with the brand new version if msn has been 'fixed' to try and prevent call-girls doing shows for money, so I believe the new one is set-up for the video calls not to work unless the other person has a webcam plugged in and ready to use too. I scoured the net and found msn 9 (I think) I'm just using that. I can't remember the website but it wasn't msn homepage because when you try and install that one it comes up with 'older version of msn unable to install'. Hope that helps.

"i dont know then as i dont have a problem with mine but hardly use it anyway

Katie.x"

the only way to fix this is to go back to the old version, the problem is if our on win 7 the new version is an auto update, so first you will have to uninstall all of win live, then if you google the old version, version 2009 build 14.0.9117.416

install this, you will still have all your contacts, then you need to open win update and hide the win live update, then problem solved. this worked for me

» Add a new message to this topic