FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > TV set top boxes

TV set top boxes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *umpkin OP   Man  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Can anyone recommend a decent set top box that will last a bit longer than the year I seem to get out of the bloody things I`m really p*ssed off with repeatedly having to change them. My last one is a Goodmans one.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *umpkin OP   Man  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Forgot to add this is not cable or dish set up.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Maplins do some decent ones for about £20. They are plain and simple but the Nikkai ones work well with poor reception and last.

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

"Can anyone recommend a decent set top box that will last a bit longer than the year I seem to get out of the bloody things I`m really p*ssed off with repeatedly having to change them. My last one is a Goodmans one."

Depends if you want a bog standard freeview box just to watch digital or you want a freeview+ box which allows you to record onto a hard disc, pause programmes, and series link programmes.

If you want the latter, id recommend a HUMAX freeview box. A bit pricer than many others, but worth it as they are more reliable than the cheaper models. The HUMAX freeview + box ive got allows me to record upto 160 hrs of programmes on to a hard drive, can pause live tv, and series link programmes.

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

If you think of a basic freeview box at £20.00 and it last 12 months has cost you less that 40p per week.

Buy one and throw it away when it dies, in todays market what is 40p per week

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is anyone having trouble with there sky boxes with the bad weather keep getting dodgy picture Looking into others as we have switch over in march. Saving for a new telly too.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"Is anyone having trouble with there sky boxes with the bad weather keep getting dodgy picture Looking into others as we have switch over in march. Saving for a new telly too."

Sounds like your dish may not be correctly aligned. Have you had it for a long time..?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A few years and picture only been going since bad weather.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

Sounds similar to mine... under normal conditions the picture quality was fine, but in bad weather I'd start getting problems.

I upgraded to the HD channels - I phoned Sky and said Vermin Media were going to offer it to me for free if I switched, and as I've been with Sky for a while they gave me the new box and installed it for free - and when the installers were here they said it had been moved ever so slightly out of alignment, hence why it was OK when the weather was fine.

As the old dish had been up for a few years they said it was possibly due to it being blown about in the wind or something like that. But they could just as easily have been fobbing me off so that I'd shut up.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

You can now get Freeview HD in many places, so - subject to interest and your tv being compatible - you may want to look at a HD freeview box. They're pricier, but will let you get the benefit of having a good telly, other than from bluray etc.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Just bought my son a TV with built in freeview, was mainly for his x-box, but obviously would like to hook up the freeview as well, do we need a rooftop aerial, or can you get freeview with a small indoor one?

» Add a new message to this topic