FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Michel Roux's Service

Michel Roux's Service

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It has a good review, so I thought I would give it a go.

Joined the programme when the group of youngsters were being trained up to look after a new high street chain restaurant.

Can't watch it after 5min when one of the girls started to rant about whatever.

I hope he manages to drill some positivity into them, amongst other skills they may need in order to make it as good front of house personnel!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"It has a good review, so I thought I would give it a go.

Joined the programme when the group of youngsters were being trained up to look after a new high street chain restaurant.

Can't watch it after 5min when one of the girls started to rant about whatever.

I hope he manages to drill some positivity into them, amongst other skills they may need in order to make it as good front of house personnel!

"

Is it similar to Jamies 15?

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Is it similar to Jamies 15?"

Don't know, never saw Jamie's 15!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

He's on an uphill battle!

In France and many other countries 'service' is seen as a vocation, a real career, in Britain it's a temporary stop gap job on the way to another career.

Tell anyone you are a waiter/waitress and immediately they look down their nose at you. I know I have experienced it first hand.

Conversing with customers, speaking in their different languages though, and treating them as your equal but remaining polite, being informative and knowledgeable about the food and wines they are paying for, then, perhaps they may see you as something other than a doormat.

I've found that usually Europeans accept and understand this, it's the British and Americans who see you as being something akin to a skivvy.

He has a long way to go with his staff but I also thinks the public need educating too.

I haven't seen the programme yet Pearl so may try and catch it online, it will be interesting to see how he does.

By *ingleguy1973Man  over a year ago

peterborough

"Conversing with customers, speaking in their different languages though, and treating them as your equal but remaining polite, being informative and knowledgeable about the food and wines they are paying for, then, perhaps they may see you as something other than a doormat."

without wanting to make a sweeping generalisation but the difference comes from peoples attitude to food and especially drink. on the continent, drink is something to be savoured and enjoyed so someone who is knowledgeable with regard to good wine etc is appreciated for their expertise. in the uk, we just chuck it down our necks as fast as we can with the sole purpose of getting pissed and only really care about how cheap it is and how strong it is and dont give a toss about who serves it too us.

I think it is also down to the owners of the restraunt, I worked front of house for a while in a place in Leeds, all our servers, had to know what went into and try ALL the menu items so they could answer questions if asked, that way they were able to give advice without having to say, oh just a moment I will have to ask. We all got fed at the end of the night, as a group. It helped to make the group a team.

It is a shame other places don't do the same

I really enjoyed it,hes good on Masterchef too,just wish I could afford to eat there one day

"I think it is also down to the owners of the restraunt, I worked front of house for a while in a place in Leeds, all our servers, had to know what went into and try ALL the menu items so they could answer questions if asked, that way they were able to give advice without having to say, oh just a moment I will have to ask. We all got fed at the end of the night, as a group. It helped to make the group a team.

It is a shame other places don't do the same"

Same with kitchens I've worked in, everyone has to have a taste of what's on the menu. Some places I've worked the junior chef has also had to cook for the rest of the staff, they get experience and the other staff get yummy food. xx

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

Ive put this on series link as ive got so much into it. Having had some appalling service in cafe's and restaurants, it's good to see it from the waiter's viewpoint. I do like Michel Roux, he has a wonderful sort of charm and charisma, which comes through in the programme.

I enjoyed it lastnight I think it's great plus MichelRoux is my secret crush lol

» Add a new message to this topic