FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > selling a house

selling a house

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When selling a house do you need to pay the estate agent money to take pics of your house or do you not pay anything till the house has been sold

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"When selling a house do you need to pay the estate agent money to take pics of your house or do you not pay anything till the house has been sold "

It depends on the agent. Some smaller ones take a smaller percentage but charge for photos etc. Others charge more when sold. The one i used last time charged 2% but that included everything.

Sorry chick just sent you a pm lol xx

Does anybody no how dixons estate agents work

"Does anybody no how dixons estate agents work "
Without wanting to sound like a wanker - since it'll be them taking your money its worth asking them all these questions.

Thats very true hun ...... But im trying to catch someone out very naughty I no lol

"Thats very true hun ...... But im trying to catch someone out very naughty I no lol "

the plot thickens.....

By *ung and readyMan  over a year ago

newcastle under lyme

I don't know of Dixon's process of sale.

normally they take a percentage charge when the house is sold of 2%.

The only advice I can give is ,deal straight with a mortgage company as dealing with a mortgage adviser will tie you up for insurance in yearly clauses.

I hope all goes well.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

It's the fastest growing sector in Estate Agency in the UK, very popular in America.

Low commission on completion (some under 1%) but you sign a pre registration that ensures exclusivity to that agent. You pay a registration fee and that gets you a property portfolio with a booklet of your house complete with extensive photos.

Mmm I might have to go and see them ......

So you dont have to pay for the photos as well it all comes im with the registration fee ...... I no im sounding bit thick but I need to get right before I start asking questions

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"So you dont have to pay for the photos as well it all comes im with the registration fee ...... I no im sounding bit thick but I need to get right before I start asking questions "
so whats the "catching someone out" bit?

Im not getting into that on here chick thats personal ...... Just need to no how things work when your selling a house

Torquay

The registration fee generally covers your property portfolio including photos, and more often than not an entry into the agents web site.

I can only quote this to be for agents in my area who offer portfolio services, but we have just signed up for 0.9% commission on completion of sale and a rather hefty portfolio registration fee.....depends how much your property is valued at.

Its valued at about 160 thousand maybe a tad more

By *ung and readyMan  over a year ago

newcastle under lyme

"Im not getting into that on here chick thats personal ...... Just need to no how things work when your selling a house "

You may have to pay up front for their photographer as he may be working for himself and not within the dixon pay system.

Torquay

"Its valued at about 160 thousand maybe a tad more "

In which case a straight commission may be the answer, the higher the value the more it becomes worth going down the Portfolio route.

I should shop around agents if I were you.

Oh ok mmm

Ok chick thanks for your help xx

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

Not normal if paying the usual 1.5 to 2% commission to pay for photos.

An agent may offer various levels of photos, but on a £160k property, the standard 3 to 5 photos should be enough, and they all carry a digital camera.

Agent should visit you at home, to get a feel for property, and discuss all these issues, and at this point you can discuss rates.

If business is slow, then you have the edge in discussions, particularly if the property is one that should sell quickly.

ALWAYS talk to a couple of estate agents before signing up with one.

Last sale I did was in 2005, and negotiated a rate of 1.66% on a flat, with condition of quick sale, rate went down over time. In other words, things are flexible.

On the mortgage adviser, some are not commission based now, but may still pressure sell. Again multiple opinions are worth seeking, plus a few hours internet research, Guardian website was reasonable for mortgage deals a few years ago.

By *stwoCouple  over a year ago

anywhere

different estate agents have different contracts.same old story read the small print.

When I sold my place I never had to pay anything until the flat was told then they took their commision and that was with Bradleys not sure if it's a country wide company or just southwest but good luck

Sorry but all the advice given already us irrelevant as each company works in a different way and it depends on the agreement that the Vendor has signed. Some are "No Sale, No Fee" some have upfront fees and some have termination fees. Without knowing what the agreement says no-one can advise you.

Meant to add that Dixons are part of the Countrywide Group so if you have a concern about them then you could contact their head office.

Torquay

"Sorry but all the advice given already us irrelevant as each company works in a different way and it depends on the agreement that the Vendor has signed. Some are "No Sale, No Fee" some have upfront fees and some have termination fees. Without knowing what the agreement says no-one can advise you."

I was under the impression that people were telling the OP exactly that?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

When we have used Estate Agents to sell it is normally an all in price.

I wouldn't think it costs anything to take the pics anyway as they must have a digi camera.

I would ask the Estate Agents what they want, and if it isn't what you are happy with, go to another one.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS we have always used no sale no fee, and never paid anything upfront.

"Sorry but all the advice given already us irrelevant as each company works in a different way and it depends on the agreement that the Vendor has signed. Some are "No Sale, No Fee" some have upfront fees and some have termination fees. Without knowing what the agreement says no-one can advise you.

I was under the impression that people were telling the OP exactly that?"

No, people were giving advice based in their own personal experiences.

Torquay

Until we thought about moving from this house we had always used that method Rugby, the guy that did the valuation always took the photos.

This time though we went with a new agency that charges 0.9% for sales over £300k plus a one off charge that buys you your portfolio, a more extensive photography service and includes 360 degree panoramic room photo service.

We wanted to advertise our place to potential holiday home buyers in London as they but lots of houses in South Devon.

We call them Funky Estate Agents as they are right flash Charlies.

Just out of interest, do you know how much they charges on properties under 300l?

Torquay

No as our valuation is above that figure.

We were with another local agency (Bradleys Marine and Country) but when our property dropped below their intro level due to deflation they tried to boot us out onto their main site which is Bradleys.

"No as our valuation is above that figure.

We were with another local agency (Bradleys Marine and Country) but when our property dropped below their intro level due to deflation they tried to boot us out onto their main site which is Bradleys.

"

it still amazes me that some EA's charge different fee levels depending in the price of the property. It costs no more to sell at £500k than it does at £100k.

Torquay

"No as our valuation is above that figure.

it still amazes me that some EA's charge different fee levels depending in the price of the property. It costs no more to sell at £500k than it does at £100k."

Smaller amount of purchasers?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Until we thought about moving from this house we had always used that method Rugby, the guy that did the valuation always took the photos.

This time though we went with a new agency that charges 0.9% for sales over £300k plus a one off charge that buys you your portfolio, a more extensive photography service and includes 360 degree panoramic room photo service.

We wanted to advertise our place to potential holiday home buyers in London as they but lots of houses in South Devon.

We call them Funky Estate Agents as they are right flash Charlies."

One house we sold had a few digi photos taken, and was bought by someone 250 miles away who has seen the few digi photos on the website the Estate Agent had running. They must have viewed a few properties but they turned up at ours, said yeah we will have it, and we had moved inside 8 weeks......so I suppose in our case we didn't need a portfoli...just a good old digi camera

Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS jane, you are not moving from your area are you? it is too gorgeous to move !

Torquay

No....downsizing so we can release half our capital to buy our holiday home.

We are rattling around in this house now our two sons have flown the nest (one gone and one this Summer)

Thanks guys for all your advice I will have to go to the estate agents and talk to them direct xx

» Add a new message to this topic