FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > People who go to work ill.

People who go to work ill.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does your work place have a culture where people come to work ill make everyone else ill. And because they set a precedent where they came in sick everybody else comes in too?

if your sick your sick and I would much rather people either work from home or actually take some time off.

If you follow

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

What if you can't work from home and your company sick policy penalises you heavily for having time off? I used to work somewhere that had performance relayed pay and if you had more than 3 days off in a rolling 6 month period your pay was _educed. Some people can't afford to have their pay _educed because they had a cold.

I actually can't remember the last time I had a day off sick.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I went to work sick the other night. I inju_ed my back at work the night before and didn't want to let my crew mate down.

I then had 2 rest days and was no better. I'm now on a diazepam cocodamol cocktail and on sick. Not good.

"What if you can't work from home and your company sick policy penalises you heavily for having time off? I used to work somewhere that had performance relayed pay and if you had more than 3 days off in a rolling 6 month period your pay was _educed. Some people can't afford to have their pay _educed because they had a cold.

I actually can't remember the last time I had a day off sick. "

Can understand that but pay full sick pay and let people work from home.

No point perpetuating Sickness

evesham

"I went to work sick the other night. I inju_ed my back at work the night before and didn't want to let my crew mate down.

I then had 2 rest days and was no better. I'm now on a diazepam cocodamol cocktail and on sick. Not good. "

That was foolish. Back problems should not be taken lightly as it could fuck your whole life up.

Going into work with a cold is very different to putting your back out. Bad backs can have you off work for months and trigger all sorts of attendance issues and processes and letting lots more than one crew mate down.

By *aneandpaulCouple  over a year ago

cleveleys

A lot of people turn up for work ill because they are sca_ed of loosing there job

"What if you can't work from home and your company sick policy penalises you heavily for having time off? I used to work somewhere that had performance relayed pay and if you had more than 3 days off in a rolling 6 month period your pay was _educed. Some people can't afford to have their pay _educed because they had a cold.

I used to work somewhere like this. Managers where off sick every week but the rest of us had a rolling policy x

I'm self eemployed so no work = no pay.....mind you it also means I have no one to infect

It's a lot more work for me to ring in sick than to turn up and plough through. I can't work from home.

evesham

"

Where I work now I get full sock pay but cannot work from home in any capacity. If i am off sick for a period of time or a number of occasions I'll get refer_ed to occy health which is a ball ache so I'd rather not go through it.

It's companies that put the pressure on workforces not to call in sick. Those who play the system and go off for every slight thing have meant that the conscientious among the workforce feel they have no choice but to work through it or face disciplinary action for it.

And not all of us can work from home in the jobs they do.

"Does your work place have a culture where people come to work ill make everyone else ill. And because they set a precedent where they came in sick everybody else comes in too?

if your sick your sick and I would much rather people either work from home or actually take some time off.

If you follow "

One of my colleagues just spent almost two weeks off sick and the rest of us were absolutely fucked because our company's budgeting has us at the bare minimum of staff already.

For starters, I can't afford time off due to illness because of my own financial situation, and I don't like the idea of my colleagues being hard pressed, so I make sure to keep my illnesses to myself. So far that seems to be effective

I'm self employed so if I don't work I don't get paid so I've got to be at deaths door to do a sickie

evesham

Also, not sure of the legalities but I don't think you can work from home of you are claiming sick pay?

Im in for going to work never take time off if im ill the hassel you have to go through to get a day of in the first place its just not worth it plus sick pay is not worth having is it. So inless my arm or leg is hanging off im in

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Being ill, is really a bit too general a term. There are many ways of being "ill" which are not contagious and not debilitating.

I personally am very rarely ill, I may occasionally have a bit of a sniffle but that's about it for me. I certainly would not take time off if I had a little cold.

There is also the big question as to what impact your absence from work has on others and your finances.

For many people working from home is not an option, a teacher for example. Somebody can cover their lesson but it is a fact that students learning will suffer from not having their usual teacher.

Also, for many people, if they are "off sick", they don't get paid. There is usually a period of three/four days when you don't get paid at all if your off sick... and then the Statutory Sick Pay kicks in £89 per week.

Cal

By *oxiAnneWoman  over a year ago

Not on a Hot Gin Roof :/

I can't work from home but I do get paid SSP.

In my work enviroment if you have more than a common cold ie running a temperature then you should stay at home as the germs spread through the office like wild fire.

Common sense should prevail as to whether you are well enough to work or whether you are going to bring your colleagues down with you!

evesham

My work place has invested in alcohol gel and antibacterial wipes fir everyone to help stop spread of infectious illnesses.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I have psoriaitc arthritis which will haunt me till my dying days unfortunately, I so want to be able to get back on site again.

I miss working, it kept me alive so to speak.....

"Also, not sure of the legalities but I don't think you can work from home of you are claiming sick pay? "

If they stay at home and work they get paid the same as coming to work. If they phone in sick they get paid and are not expected to work.

So subjective to my work environment if you have a sniffle they can work from home and chill.

"And not all of us can work from home in the jobs they do."

My last job was as a bar maid/waitress... it's somewhat impossible to do that kind of work at home! Besides, at certain times of the year my hours in that job were quite low with no sick pay, so I'd have to go in regardless. I had five days off in a year & a half at the job, three of those days were due to tonsillitis and I had to be sent home from work with that.

By *edMan  over a year ago

cambridgeshire

"

I was on holiday once on the bike, and had a cold coming on. Popped into the office on the way home to grab a coffee as I was passing (office is about 100 miles from home)

I walked from the front door to the coffee machine, chatted for about 20mins then went home.

Cold developed into really bad one then, and it spread like wildfire over the next week in the office. So bad, there is now a policy of alcohol gel lots at everyone's desk in winter time.

Still, usually I catch bugs from my visits to the hell hole, so nice to give something back !

One thing that gets mentioned sometimes in the news is that illness spreads faster in some work environments compa_ed to others.

Apparently in jobs where you're very active, there's less illness because movement keeps your metabolism and immune system functioning properly, whereas in an office, there's not this option, so it spreads.

Just a random useless snippet of idle gossip

Be fantastic if i could work from home but being in the construction industry my house would get messy real quick

I've been off work sick for about 4 months now, I get 6 months full pay and after April next year I'll get 12 months.

Will be going back on a phased return next week.

"A lot of people turn up for work ill because they are sca_ed of loosing there job "

This.

Being ill has become a disciplinery issue for many.

"A lot of people turn up for work ill because they are sca_ed of loosing there job

This.

Being ill has become a disciplinery issue for many."

One of my colleagues was rushed to hospital around Christmas last year as he passed out at work. He had heart problems due to stress. He came back early because he was nearly at the area for disciplinary territory. He's not been ill otherwise in the 4 years I've been there

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

In my job there is a culture of using sick leave as extra annual leave. If I can't physically get out of bed I phone in sick, I do have the option of working from home which I do most evenings.

I believe in wellness in my office it's quite alarming to think people are worried about phoning in sick to the point of making themselves even worse.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Where I work now I get full sock pay but cannot work from home in any capacity. If i am off sick for a period of time or a number of occasions I'll get refer_ed to occy health which is a ball ache so I'd rather not go through it.

It's companies that put the pressure on workforces not to call in sick. Those who play the system and go off for every slight thing have meant that the conscientious among the workforce feel they have no choice but to work through it or face disciplinary action for it. "

Do you get more if you have multiply pairs of socks?

Let me tell you a story about a man who worked for same company for 35 year's. Never had a single day off sick, they used to force him to take his holiday.

A total work pervert.

Now on a job he had an accident thru no fault of his own.

He was unable to work in full capacity upon his return so they found a piss poor excuse to get rid of him. I saw that guy work, being sick, full flu, food poisoning, pretty much every ailment going.

In the end it counted for zero when he was no longer of use.

So why should people go into work when sick, coz the company doesn't think anymore of you??

Btw if I am sick I don't go in and I don't get paid.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

4 years ago we moved to new hi-tech open plan buildings. Floor to ceiling windows that don't open, temperature controlled through vents in floors etc... It's awful!! We operate Bradford score for sickness & you're better off having 1 longer period of sickness that lots of odd days

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I used to go in when sick.

I remember my children and I being sick but my boss and I had an important meeting to attend and he had asked me the day before if I could come in at eight.

My husband took the day off and I drove to work feeling like shit. Got in at 7.45. 8...no boss. 8 30...no boss. 9...no boss...I'm now worried. Phone the people we were due to meet to find he'd phoned them to cancel, didn't phone me! 11.30 he phoned to say his dog had taken ill and he'd rushed it to the vet.

I'd left three sick kids feeling guilty while he and his wife where fussing over a dog! That was 19 years ago. I'm typing this from my bed as I'm off sick.

Would I go to work if I were sick?!! Would I fuck!!!

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Similar to many replies already. Would be so much better if people stayed away from offices when they're feeling ill, but current sickness/disciplinary policies are not conducive.

Personally, if I'm feeling rough, I do now have the option to work from home, and I'd need to be really rough before phoning in sick

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Everywhere

"Does your work place have a culture where people come to work ill make everyone else ill. And because they set a precedent where they came in sick everybody else comes in too?

If you follow "

Sounds like you get paid if you have a day off sick.

If I take one day off, I don't get paid anything for three. So, I have no choice but to attend work, ill or not.

Everywhere

Everywhere

It's companies that put the pressure on workforces not to call in sick. Those who play the system and go off for every slight thing have meant that the conscientious among the workforce feel they have no choice but to work through it or face disciplinary action for it. "

cambridgeshire

"I believe in wellness in my office it's quite alarming to think people are worried about phoning in sick to the point of making themselves even worse. "

Fully agree, its all too easy to spread bugs (do people know rubbing your eyes is a sure way to get bugs into your body, and something most people do all the time? That and poor hand hygiene, of course)

Nothing I hate more than turning up to a meeting where someone is proudly displaying a box of flu remedy on the table, like they are some kind of hero.. or indispendible.. Neither of which is true

cambridgeshire

"I believe in wellness in my office it's quite alarming to think people are worried about phoning in sick to the point of making themselves even worse.

Fully agree, its all too easy to spread bugs (do people know rubbing your eyes is a sure way to get bugs into your body, and something most people do all the time? That and poor hand hygiene, of course)

Nothing I hate more than turning up to a meeting where someone is proudly displaying a box of flu remedy on the table, like they are some kind of hero.. or indispendible.. Neither of which is true "

Would that be indispensable... Of course it would, lol

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I can understand why people who would be penalised for sickness go into work ill but not when they won't. I really don't understand people who turn up to social events coughing and spluttering.

By *accaMan  over a year ago

leicester

Self employed so can't afford to be off work for to long.... Been off now for over three weeks and apart from being bo_ed senseless, financially I need to get back regardless of doctors orders

The company I work for have a strict sick pay regeim, so if you off too many times nation sick pay kicks in. First 3 days you get nothing, so people come in sick.

The knock on effect is more go down with it and come in, the circle continues to carry on.

If you are sick 'stay home'

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I can understand why people who would be penalised for sickness go into work ill but not when they won't. I really don't understand people who turn up to social events coughing and spluttering. "

I have missed a couple of social events for just this very reason, nobody wants my germs ffs....

I have worked with many that do though

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I can understand why people who would be penalised for sickness go into work ill but not when they won't. I really don't understand people who turn up to social events coughing and spluttering.

I have missed a couple of social events for just this very reason, nobody wants my germs ffs....

I have worked with many that do though "

I mentioned the other day that I was sitting in a cafe while a woman close to me sneezed her way through a cappucino making no attempt to cover her mouth......why even leave the house?

I worked with a very painful back a lot of times,having to stand for hours sometimes because the titration chairs were too uncomfortable and hard school chairs too low. Working with 1000 people every day meant illnesses spread like wildfire. I was glad that I was off with severe anaemia when the norovirus struck. Apparently people were throwing up in the corridors. If I'm anywhere near people when I'm ill I cough and sneeze into a tissue or down my jumper. Every little helps

"I can understand why people who would be penalised for sickness go into work ill but not when they won't. I really don't understand people who turn up to social events coughing and spluttering.

I have worked with many that do though

I mentioned the other day that I was sitting in a cafe while a woman close to me sneezed her way through a cappucino making no attempt to cover her mouth......why even leave the house?"

I caught a horrible virus 4 weeks ago and I'm still coughing and sneezing. The first week was spent with pockets full of tissues every time I went out. It's not easy to not cough on a packed bus.

I'm from the US. No one takes sick days in the US. To start with, employers don't have to provide paid sick leave. And those that do usually require a doctor's note. Well I'm not going to the doctor and paying my co-pay just to get a note saying I'm sick! Plus people will look down on you fir taking the time off anyway. So most just go to work sick.

When I took my first job in the UK, I was shocked at how understanding they were about sick leave. No one in our office abused it. It was wonderful. That kind of work culture was amazing and supportive. Too bad I don't work there anymore. My current employer reminds me of being back in the US.

-Courtney

I almost dread the start of a new school term or year

A close office environment is like a breeding ground for viruses

When someone is coughing and sneezing all over the place you just know you're gong to go down with something.

I know it's not feasible for some, but if you are able to take sick leave then you should. I believe that the overall rates of sick absence would _educe, and you'd get more productivity from your employees

» Add a new message to this topic