FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Benifits

Benifits

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is it just me or do people get as mad as me when it comes to people moaning about having thier benifits cut?

Im not on about tax credits just benifits for people who dont work and dont intend to yet us hardworking people get hit in the pocket while they dont do sweet FA

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't get mad no. As somebody who has needed to claim benefits in the past I know how close to the wire financially anyone on benefits is.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Have every sympathy for people out of work and desperately trying to secure a position and I wish them the very best.

The same with genuine illness and unfit to work.

Lazy fuckers or breeding machines, then little or no interest I'm afraid. They may not have had great role models, but the system allows them to. It needs changed.

for balance, people who cheat the tax system get the same from me.

but hey..... it won't change, sadly

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Is it just me or do people get as mad as me when it comes to people moaning about having thier benifits cut?

Im not on about tax credits just benifits for people who dont work and dont intend to yet us hardworking people get hit in the pocket while they dont do sweet FA"

Its not just yoy its me as well

Some people really need benefits To live and I do feel sorry for them . I accept that for some benefits is not enough money to live on with high heating costs etc etc

I also accept that benefits should be made available to those that don't work And are trying to get a job

But then we get these people and I meet people like this

54 year old woman not worked since leaving school 6 kids each far enough apart from each other to not have to sign on

Her older kids got pregnant young were kicked out to go mother and baby unit to get priority council house

None of her kids work all housed by the council

When I asked why she said why work when you can get it for free

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Have every sympathy for people out of work and desperately trying to secure a position and I wish them the very best.

Lazy fuckers or breeding machines, then little or no interest I'm afraid. They may not have had great role models, but the system allows them to. It needs changed.

"

Says it all really.

No I don't get mad at anyone worried that they will have even more of a struggle than they already have now.

The genuine people out of work i have no problem with its the ones who dont ever intend to work because they cant get off thier backside

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The genuine people out of work i have no problem with its the ones who dont ever intend to work because they cant get off thier backside"

What percentage of claimants belong in that category?

On a lighter note is this a catchy tune or what ,tie a yellow ribbon round an old oak tree its been 2 long years and I mean looooong do you still love me

"The genuine people out of work i have no problem with its the ones who dont ever intend to work because they cant get off thier backside

What percentage of claimants belong in that category?"

My x used to work in a jobcentre and she used to say there will be more people who will do anything to stay on benifits than try to find work that has to be worrying right? Im sure we would all love to stay at home and get paid for it but having no intention of ever working because you cant be bothered its wrong on so many levels

Why do people on benefits think they should have immunity from the ebbs and flows of the economy? There are people who work full time on low pay,there are people who dont get sick may when they go off sick, there are people who are self employed ,there are people who suffer pay cuts at work for all manner of things..whats so different about benefits claimants?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The genuine people out of work i have no problem with its the ones who dont ever intend to work because they cant get off thier backside

My x used to work in a jobcentre and she used to say there will be more people who will do anything to stay on benifits than try to find work that has to be worrying right? Im sure we would all love to stay at home and get paid for it but having no intention of ever working because you cant be bothered its wrong on so many levels "

I see. Yes never wanting to work is wrong I agree and that should be addressed. The problem isn't that simple though ask anyone who worked in the steel industry.

By *awandOrderCouple  over a year ago

SW London

Personally I think there is plenty money around - the rich are getting richer and the government is trying to divide the working class and the middle class by taking money from the middle earners to pay the poor - deflect us from looking to where the money should be coming from. I don't begrudge anyone anything, except the MPs and the like with their expenses - so much money wasted by the rich, which could be put to helping everyone. Share the wealth, but I know that will never happen.

My x used to work in a jobcentre and she used to say there will be more people who will do anything to stay on benifits than try to find work that has to be worrying right? Im sure we would all love to stay at home and get paid for it but having no intention of ever working because you cant be bothered its wrong on so many levels

I see. Yes never wanting to work is wrong I agree and that should be addressed. The problem isn't that simple though ask anyone who worked in the steel industry."

Yes but you can bet your life that them steel workers will do everthing they can to find a new job

It seems to me that a high proportion of "the lazy beggars don't deserve it" crew are too lazy to read anything more educating than the Daily Mail.

We need a safety net. A small proportion of people will take advantage of the system. It is worth it for all those genuine claimants that are helped. Would you like to live in a society that operated differently?

"Personally I think there is plenty money around - the rich are getting richer and the government is trying to divide the working class and the middle class by taking money from the middle earners to pay the poor - deflect us from looking to where the money should be coming from. I don't begrudge anyone anything, except the MPs and the like with their expenses - so much money wasted by the rich, which could be put to helping everyone. Share the wealth, but I know that will never happen."

Yes there is indeed plenty of money around because they have been printing it and backdooring it into the economy for years. It isnt real,its just bits of paper that only has monetary value for as long and for as much as the Government of the day says so.

The rich are usually rich either through hard work,enterprise, luck, crime or inheritance or a bit of each..

You dont get rich by just..err..working. You are merely a slave though you dont know it. Just think about it,,before you even get paid they steal 20% of your money,,you then go spend it,,they steal another 20%,,you pay NI thats another 12% so your effective rate of tax for ordinary workers is 52%..looking at it that way,,why the fook would anyone work !

"It seems to me that a high proportion of "the lazy beggars don't deserve it" crew are too lazy to read anything more educating than the Daily Mail.

We need a safety net. A small proportion of people will take advantage of the system. It is worth it for all those genuine claimants that are helped. Would you like to live in a society that operated differently?"

I was thinking more like the daily sport theres more pictures in there for them

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I see. Yes never wanting to work is wrong I agree and that should be addressed. The problem isn't that simple though ask anyone who worked in the steel industry.

Yes but you can bet your life that them steel workers will do everthing they can to find a new job "

I think you are stating your opinions and those of your ex as fact. I know that some benefit claimants work the system and its deplorable but I won't use hearsay and urban myth to criticise a whole group of people about who I know nothing.

The people having their benefits cut are disabled people. If you're on JSA it's the bare minimum anyway.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

More often or not it's a generational thing mum and dad on benefits living in social housing, kids grow up see what mum and dad had...go on to have a kid claim benefits and go into social housing sometimes we can put the whole blame onto the individual as often they don't know any better.

It's the same argument with people saying that immigrants are taking all the jobs, well they are taking the jobs that the lazy fuckers don't want or is beneath them...

Yes but you can bet your life that them steel workers will do everthing they can to find a new job

I think you are stating your opinions and those of your ex as fact. I know that some benefit claimants work the system and its deplorable but I won't use hearsay and urban myth to criticise a whole group of people about who I know nothing.

"

hey this the op is generalising and their are many people who can't get work ,skilled people because of the influx of cheap foreign labour

"

Its hardly hearsay when its been on tv and in the papers they had a program called benefit street and to go with all that i see people almost everyday who do this

What percentage of claimants belong in that category?"

Me... was on benefits while I looked for work n now I'm doing 12 hour shifts making bisto tubs n don't get to sit down all day up at 4am to get here till 6pm x

My x used to work in a jobcentre and she used to say there will be more people who will do anything to stay on benifits than try to find work that has to be worrying right? Im sure we would all love to stay at home and get paid for it but having no intention of ever working because you cant be bothered its wrong on so many levels "

People on JSA don't get benefit cuts. It's the minimum you need to live on. Some however have had to either pay for the extra bedroom they have or move home,all whilst trying to live off a small amount of money and look for a job. Some were told to take the low paid job because "Don't worry,you can get tax credits to top up your wages :D "

By *osieWoman  over a year ago

Wembley

"Is it just me or do people get as mad as me when it comes to people moaning about having thier benifits cut?

Im not on about tax credits just benifits for people who dont work and dont intend to yet us hardworking people get hit in the pocket while they dont do sweet FA"

Not enough housing benefits is given out; this should, at a minimum, be doubled. How this government can expect anyone to obtain a half decent property for under £1,800 per month is beyond me

I watched that benifits £2 million shoplifter I've been on and off the doll for a long time but what I saw last night made me laugh this guy gambled away his whole benefit then blamed the government because he had no money left its a joke I must admit I used to squander most of mine but I always make sure I had what I needed first. All this talk of benefit being cut is ridiculous alot people need those benefits to survive but its not enough people on benefits with children and one working parent is £180 odd worse off even with working family tax credits

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

The number of people who receive benefits because they can work but won't is so tiny it is not worth worrying about.

Sadly, the government and media pretend that this figure is significant, so they can take benefits from people who want to work but can't under the lie of necessity.

If you worry about the 'issue', you've fallen for the lie.

People on JSA don't get benefit cuts. It's the minimum you need to live on. Some however have had to either pay for the extra bedroom they have or move home,all whilst trying to live off a small amount of money and look for a job. Some were told to take the low paid job because "Don't worry,you can get tax credits to top up your wages :D ""

Job seekers allowance yet they dont seek a job

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

[Removed by poster at 27/10/15 09:20:39]

Im not on about tax credits just benifits for people who dont work and dont intend to yet us hardworking people get hit in the pocket while they dont do sweet FA

Not enough housing benefits is given out; this should, at a minimum, be doubled. How this government can expect anyone to obtain a half decent property for under £1,800 per month is beyond me"

this is a good point private rent houses are hard to get on that money and council houses you have a massive waiting list unless you have young children or your an asylum seeker but its only going to get worse

Here's one for you. Mum of 2children, used to work think it was 4 days a week, 18 hours per week, oldest child is in nursery and the other goes to support groups. So childminder would be needed for say 6 hours for one child and for 3 for the other. Yet she'd be £20 worse off working. Would you decide instead of asking for more weekend hours(family would look after kids) or just go back on benefits- yet spend that £20 on getting nails done and money on booze every weekend(not going out)? She is perfectly capable but thinks that £20 would be better spend on her.

Deviant City

"Here's one for you. Mum of 2children, used to work think it was 4 days a week, 18 hours per week, oldest child is in nursery and the other goes to support groups. So childminder would be needed for say 6 hours for one child and for 3 for the other. Yet she'd be £20 worse off working. Would you decide instead of asking for more weekend hours(family would look after kids) or just go back on benefits- yet spend that £20 on getting nails done and money on booze every weekend(not going out)? She is perfectly capable but thinks that £20 would be better spend on her. "

I'd work. The whole independence of making my own money, receiving that pay slip, is something I wholeheartedly miss.

"Have every sympathy for people out of work and desperately trying to secure a position and I wish them the very best.

"

"Personally I think there is plenty money around - the rich are getting richer and the government is trying to divide the working class and the middle class by taking money from the middle earners to pay the poor - deflect us from looking to where the money should be coming from. I don't begrudge anyone anything, except the MPs and the like with their expenses - so much money wasted by the rich, which could be put to helping everyone. Share the wealth, but I know that will never happen.

Yes there is indeed plenty of money around because they have been printing it and backdooring it into the economy for years. It isnt real,its just bits of paper that only has monetary value for as long and for as much as the Government of the day says so.

The rich are usually rich either through hard work,enterprise, luck, crime or inheritance or a bit of each..

You dont get rich by just..err..working. You are merely a slave though you dont know it. Just think about it,,before you even get paid they steal 20% of your money,,you then go spend it,,they steal another 20%,,you pay NI thats another 12% so your effective rate of tax for ordinary workers is 52%..looking at it that way,,why the fook would anyone work !"

thank you what is the point it all goes back to the same place so no matter what you work to make the rich guys richer then give them their money back when you go shopping pay your bills so then your left with nothing apart from stress and probably depression because you have to get up in the morning bust your arse off working to be left with nothing again while the ceo of the company you work for is in the Bahamas still making loads of money catching a tan then filters off the money to some off shore account to avoid taxes its just slavery without chains and whips

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Its hardly hearsay when its been on tv and in the papers they had a program called benefit street and to go with all that i see people almost everyday who do this "

I see, and yet you haven't been able to provide me with quantifiable evidence of your statements.

The one person who was really worried about the cuts must have been Rupert Murdoch as all the people I know on benefits have full sky package

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Me... was on benefits while I looked for work n now I'm doing 12 hour shifts making bisto tubs n don't get to sit down all day up at 4am to get here till 6pm x"

You don't fall in to the category who don't want to get a job

"Here's one for you. Mum of 2children, used to work think it was 4 days a week, 18 hours per week, oldest child is in nursery and the other goes to support groups. So childminder would be needed for say 6 hours for one child and for 3 for the other. Yet she'd be £20 worse off working. Would you decide instead of asking for more weekend hours(family would look after kids) or just go back on benefits- yet spend that £20 on getting nails done and money on booze every weekend(not going out)? She is perfectly capable but thinks that £20 would be better spend on her.

I'd work. The whole independence of making my own money, receiving that pay slip, is something I wholeheartedly miss."

Exactly! She says she's a hard worker and loves to be independent, yet can't budget for her kids and would rather go on benefits :/ takes all sorts I guess! I know where she lives getting work is hard but where she was working were very good to her.

Doesn't matter what they cut or what system they put in place, someone will always work out a way to fiddle it. It's British culture

"Here's one for you. Mum of 2children, used to work think it was 4 days a week, 18 hours per week, oldest child is in nursery and the other goes to support groups. So childminder would be needed for say 6 hours for one child and for 3 for the other. Yet she'd be £20 worse off working. Would you decide instead of asking for more weekend hours(family would look after kids) or just go back on benefits- yet spend that £20 on getting nails done and money on booze every weekend(not going out)? She is perfectly capable but thinks that £20 would be better spend on her.

I'd work. The whole independence of making my own money, receiving that pay slip, is something I wholeheartedly miss."

I know single women who work extremely hard and their children come first. I know quite a few actually.

"The one person who was really worried about the cuts must have been Rupert Murdoch as all the people I know on benefits have full sky package "
really we cant afford sky and the Mrs works and its a waste of money all they show I is the same shit I watch everything online dont miss a thing lmao even still working you need some kind of benefit unless you earn over minimum wage and I mean well over everything is becoming more and more expensive and eventually all ends up in the same place normally a land fill site

The reason people are moaning is it's already counted as the minimum the law says you need to live on.

My daughter will be affected by this due to being severely disabled... If she went into a home or sheltered housing it would cost them a hell of a lot more.

Since being back at work I am on 80quid a week less on average... Some weeks more... But I do go as I like working x

Don't believe what you see on these tv programs as living on benefits is not easy. And you can't afford all these things x not unless your not paying the basics

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"The reason people are moaning is it's already counted as the minimum the law says you need to live on.

My daughter will be affected by this due to being severely disabled... If she went into a home or sheltered housing it would cost them a hell of a lot more.

Since being back at work I am on 80quid a week less on average... Some weeks more... But I do go as I like working x

Don't believe what you see on these tv programs as living on benefits is not easy. And you can't afford all these things x not unless your not paying the basics "

then you deserve every penny as you are not abusing the system.

The threads bring out people who are deserved of the money, true disability, illness or trying to find work.

The people abusing the system will sit quiet , yet I know people in the swinging world upto their neck in it

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'd work. The whole independence of making my own money, receiving that pay slip, is something I wholeheartedly miss.

I know single women who work extremely hard and their children come first. I know quite a few actually."

Yes I think we all do but what kind of a thread would that make? People working hard to make a living doesn't grab headlines. Its a shame that people need to concentrate on what's bad about a system without suggesting solutions or looking at what's good about it.

Its hardly hearsay when its been on tv and in the papers they had a program called benefit street and to go with all that i see people almost everyday who do this

I see, and yet you haven't been able to provide me with quantifiable evidence of your statements. "

1.52 million people in uk are claiming benefits and job vaccancies are at thier highest since 2008 and thats form the office of national statistics

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I see, and yet you haven't been able to provide me with quantifiable evidence of your statements.

1.52 million people in uk are claiming benefits and job vaccancies are at thier highest since 2008 and thats form the office of national statistics "

How many of that 1.52 million are claiming jsa, how many job vacancies are there and of them how any are full time, part time and zero hours?

1.52 million people in uk are claiming benefits and job vaccancies are at thier highest since 2008 and thats form the office of national statistics

How many of that 1.52 million are claiming jsa, how many job vacancies are there and of them how any are full time, part time and zero hours? "

The 1.52 are activley looking for work but them stats i wouldnt know but another thing that just sprung to mind is how many of this 1.52 million are actually from the uk

Forum Mod

East Sussex

How many of that 1.52 million are claiming jsa, how many job vacancies are there and of them how any are full time, part time and zero hours?

The 1.52 are activley looking for work but them stats i wouldnt know but another thing that just sprung to mind is how many of this 1.52 million are actually from the uk "

Your stats don't give a picture that backs up your statements then.

How many of that 1.52 million are claiming jsa, how many job vacancies are there and of them how any are full time, part time and zero hours? "

My friend has a zero hour contract with a large drug store company. Some weeks she has no hours,some 4 and never over 8. Unless they are short staffed and want her to do the 6am or night shift. They don't employ full time shop floor staff. She previously had a zero hour contract with Argos,working over Christmas. Once new year was over she didn't get any more work and her contract ended.

Deviant City

Some people have no choice but to live off benefits.

Nobody will employ me, even ATOS agreed I'm too unfit to work and they are all about getting disabled back to work.

I don't have sky, I don't go on holiday, I don't drink or smoke, I'm on the bare minimum and every penny I have, goes on my son. Only treats I get, is off my carer, as he has seen me deteriorate from a slim, gym going, hard working, independent single mum, to someone who can barely walk/sit/stand and is reclusive with no social life. I rely on a wheelchair and if I want to visit a club, he has to come with me to help me around.

Auto-Immune disease, nerve damage from too many spinal surgeries, chemo and a whole host of other chronic health issues has fucked my body and guess what? It was before I was fat! All started with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

I just get judged as a bone idle fattie, too lazy to work.

The 1.52 are activley looking for work but them stats i wouldnt know but another thing that just sprung to mind is how many of this 1.52 million are actually from the uk

Your stats don't give a picture that backs up your statements then. "

Pictures clear for most people anyway and we can all have our say freedom of speach and all

"Some people have no choice but to live off benefits.

Nobody will employ me, even ATOS agreed I'm too unfit to work and they are all about getting disabled back to work.

I don't have sky, I don't go on holiday, I don't drink or smoke, I'm on the bare minimum and every penny I have, goes on my son. Only treats I get, is off my carer, as he has seen me deteriorate from a slim, gym going, hard working, independent single mum, to someone who can barely walk/sit/stand and is reclusive with no social life. I rely on a wheelchair and if I want to visit a club, he has to come with me to help me around.

Auto-Immune disease, nerve damage from too many spinal surgeries, chemo and a whole host of other chronic health issues has fucked my body and guess what? It was before I was fat! All started with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

I just get judged as a bone idle fattie, too lazy to work. "

This is not your fault that you cant work its through a disabillity or illness witch you are right thats where benefits do justice

As a young Widow I get nothing. I exceed the 23,000 threshold to even get tax credits. With the same bills to pay as a couple I have to work overtime every week just to make ends meet how is this fair x

Deviant City

This is not your fault that you cant work its through a disabillity or illness witch you are right thats where benefits do justice "

Indeed it isn't, but people see the fat and assume I'm just lazy. That I'm labelled a "nuisance" when I'm in my wheels, or a "faker" just wanting to claim benefits.

This is not your fault that you cant work its through a disabillity or illness witch you are right thats where benefits do justice

Indeed it isn't, but people see the fat and assume I'm just lazy. That I'm labelled a "nuisance" when I'm in my wheels, or a "faker" just wanting to claim benefits. "

And this is because of the newspaper articles and television shows the OP was talking about

Indeed it isn't, but people see the fat and assume I'm just lazy. That I'm labelled a "nuisance" when I'm in my wheels, or a "faker" just wanting to claim benefits. "

I was only on about the fit and well people not wanting to work people in your situation need help so i would never judge for the life of me. I wouldnt of started this thread but a man came up to us today and was bragging about how he gets benefits and this and that paid for him while we are working just dont like it

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

That pretty much covers it for me too.

My income means I'm not eligible for a penny from the state.

I also pay the highest rate of income tax.

Funding the benefit system does not give me the right to begrudge those who claim it. Or the skill or knowledge to deem who does so deservedly or otherwise.

It is what it is. Every financial system is open to misuse and corruption. It doesn't change the fact that the benefit system provides a great deal to those who are in need. Which is all that matters, surely?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Pictures clear for most people anyway and we can all have our say freedom of speach and all "

Indeed. Freedom of speech means I'm at liberty to disagree with you

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

I've just read that millionaire 'Sir' Andrew Lloyd Webber has flown back into the UK specially so he can vote FOR the proposed Tax Credit cuts.

Says it all really Must keep the serfs and paupers in their proper places!

In answer to the OP - 'piss takers' on benefits irritate me but I know that, in reality, MOST people on benefits struggle terribly. The big tax evaders annoy me more.

Pictures clear for most people anyway and we can all have our say freedom of speach and all

Indeed. Freedom of speech means I'm at liberty to disagree with you "

You are indeed but dont see why anyone would disagree with the fact that poeople abuse the benefit rule why would you stick up for someone who is claiming a benefit yet seeking a job but has no intention of getting one

People get treat like shit on them...very close friend/lover of mine has been on crutches for a year, can barely walk a few stairs and they still barely help her out...apparently severely limited mobility counts as zero, yes, zero points towards a claim..

She's expected to live on 50 quid a week (pre assessment rate...for a year....still havn't got round to making a decision on her case) that includes taxis and everything to get to medical Appointmens...

On he phone yesterday she was told 'you'll just have to wait' when she asked how long before she gets full money, the system doesn't give a flying fuck about people... Her words to me last night, through floods of tears and pain were 'I don't think I'll survive this'

I could have cried with her...I'm very glad I'm not on them because the system is a de humanizing piece of shit

"People get treat like shit on them...very close friend/lover of mine has been on crutches for a year, can barely walk a few stairs and they still barely help her out...apparently severely limited mobility counts as zero, yes, zero points towards a claim..

She's expected to live on 50 quid a week (pre assessment rate...for a year....still havn't got round to making a decision on her case) that includes taxis and everything to get to medical Appointmens...

On he phone yesterday she was told 'you'll just have to wait' when she asked how long before she gets full money, the system doesn't give a flying fuck about people... Her words to me last night, through floods of tears and pain were 'I don't think I'll survive this'

I could have cried with her...I'm very glad I'm not on them because the system is a de humanizing piece of shit"

I couldnt agree more mate and this is why i get angry because some idiots get everything for doing fuck all and its the people like your friend that need it most

By *opinovMan  over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

I get much more mad at the super-rich who dodge their taxes and bribe politicians to give their companies billions of pounds in corporate welfare at our expense.

I'd far rather see my hard earned taxes go towards helping a family in need than see them siphoned off to fill the already bulging pockets of the very same millionaires who own the media outlets used to brainwash the idiot masses to whinge about a relatively small amount of money being spent on those who need it whilst ignoring the scores of billions given away to lobbyists and party funders in secretly agreed grants, subsidies, loan guarantees, sweeteners, private government contracts, knock-down share options and the like... that's where our money's really going.

If you want to whinge about money being wasted, why don't you take the time to educate yourself about where it's being wasted instead of regurgitating the line from the Daily Mail? If you make a little effort to see beyond the propaganda, you'll discover that the money spent on families on benefits is a vanishingly tiny pittance compared to the huge amounts being extracted through political corruption... but most people don't bother because it's much easier to be intellectually lazy and politically illiterate and kick whoever they've been told to hate instead of researching and thinking for themselves.

... and since we're on the DM - here's a pretty good example of the truth behind those trying to brainwash us into hating the poor so the 1% can carry on ripping us off while our gaze is elsewhere. The DM, despite its facade of patriotism and supporting our troops and all that, is owned by Jonathan Harmsworth (aka Viscount Rothermere), who lives abroad for tax purposes - leaving the rest of us to pay his share... well how public spirited and patriotic is that?

Although a generalist _iew I get exactly where you are coming from gotta be 2 types of claimers the ones actually searching and making an effort and the ones who sit on their asses all day long doing bare minimum why not have a stricter system that pays based on the effort put into searching for work rather than just turning up every two weeks saying you have been looking sign my book

"Although a generalist _iew I get exactly where you are coming from gotta be 2 types of claimers the ones actually searching and making an effort and the ones who sit on their asses all day long doing bare minimum why not have a stricter system that pays based on the effort put into searching for work rather than just turning up every two weeks saying you have been looking sign my book"

"Although a generalist _iew I get exactly where you are coming from gotta be 2 types of claimers the ones actually searching and making an effort and the ones who sit on their asses all day long doing bare minimum why not have a stricter system that pays based on the effort put into searching for work rather than just turning up every two weeks saying you have been looking sign my book "

It doesn't work like that. Claimants have to provide proof they have been looking for work. If it's insufficient then they are sanctioned and not paid.

"Although a generalist _iew I get exactly where you are coming from gotta be 2 types of claimers the ones actually searching and making an effort and the ones who sit on their asses all day long doing bare minimum why not have a stricter system that pays based on the effort put into searching for work rather than just turning up every two weeks saying you have been looking sign my book "

There is. You have to have hard proof you're looking for work or you are sanctioned. More misinformation.

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

what the workers have to remember is that system is there for them what you moan about now you face yourself

your job is insecure you could end up on the dole like the rest of them

your job or hours could be reduced by free labour the dolers

even your wage can be kept lower due to cheap labour or free labour

so what you moan at now you could face yourself

I bet most wouldnt even know there rights, when they signed on and instead just agree to everything that an adviser tells them to do

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Indeed. Freedom of speech means I'm at liberty to disagree with you

You are indeed but dont see why anyone would disagree with the fact that poeople abuse the benefit rule why would you stick up for someone who is claiming a benefit yet seeking a job but has no intention of getting one "

If you read what I've written you will see that I'm not sticking up for those people just discussing your opinion with you and asking you to back up what you say. It would be quite boring if we all just responded agreeing with you, that isn't what you wanted.......was it?

1,5 millionish on jsa, god knows how many on tax credits,free hours of childcare ,free prescriptions whatever its all benefits, we employed plenty of single parents on tax credits,not 1 wanted to go over the 16 hour/£110 ish threshold unless it was paid cash saying it would affect their benefits which later i found out is not true,its easier to take than earn simple,i have no children so why should i pay for someone elses, its all down to perspective

I Don't know what the answer is. Gordon Brown's banana skin has worked an absolute treat hasn't it though ? woahhhhhhhhh Whoooppppppppps a daisy. Careful George, wouldn't want you to alienate 3 million voters would I LOL.

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

We should increase benefits. Give the poor more. 60% of our countries wealth is held onto by 1% of the population... Did they work for that? I very much doubt it. When it comes to benifits it should just be a case of getting a grip of yourself and ask why you feel hostile towards poor people? And who manipulated you into thinking that way? The telegraph?

By *irceWoman  over a year ago

Gloucester

Maybe a redirection to the elite who rob us for billions would be a better option instead of the targeting of the lower class.

All the properganda is there to destroy the humanity in society and replace it with drones ...yes you and your children.

Look at the NHS ...going private and look out if your DNA has issues..

But again if someone does bare minimum for no reason other then lazyness they are paid the same as someone who is out there every day working to find employment I have been there listening to people moaning they been unemployed for 4 years and getting paid the same money the entire time I have listened to people who have done their minimum 10 applications in the two weeks I do not disagree that people should be supported in times of unemployment but I do believe should be monitored better and people should be paid by there efforts

"1,5 millionish on jsa, god knows how many on tax credits,free hours of childcare ,free prescriptions whatever its all benefits, we employed plenty of single parents on tax credits,not 1 wanted to go over the 16 hour/£110 ish threshold unless it was paid cash saying it would affect their benefits which later i found out is not true,its easier to take than earn simple,i have no children so why should i pay for someone elses, its all down to perspective"

I know more than one single parent who works more than 16 hours and doesn't claim any child care. There's a lot of couples claiming working tax and child tax credits. There are also a lot of people not paying the tax they should be.

By *urvymamaWoman  over a year ago

Doncaster

That interesting since working tax credit are a benefit! love how that fact is always over glazed, and yes I work but I also claim benefit via tax credits

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"We should increase benefits. Give the poor more. 60% of our countries wealth is held onto by 1% of the population... Did they work for that? I very much doubt it. When it comes to benifits it should just be a case of getting a grip of yourself and ask why you feel hostile towards poor people? And who manipulated you into thinking that way? The telegraph?"

No one manipulated me into it. I was brought up by a single mum who left my alcoholic dad with nothing, who worked her arse off to get a nursing qualification and progressed.

I am a single man in my 50's who has also worked his arse off to get what I have, but I will willingly pay my higher rate tax to support the people struggling to get work or people crippled with illness that doesn't allow them to....... very happy to support these people and always will be.

lazy fuckers and the entitled, No....

and I don't feel guilty about that at all

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"1,5 millionish on jsa, god knows how many on tax credits,free hours of childcare ,free prescriptions whatever its all benefits, we employed plenty of single parents on tax credits,not 1 wanted to go over the 16 hour/£110 ish threshold unless it was paid cash saying it would affect their benefits which later i found out is not true,its easier to take than earn simple,i have no children so why should i pay for someone elses, its all down to perspective

I know more than one single parent who works more than 16 hours and doesn't claim any child care. There's a lot of couples claiming working tax and child tax credits. There are also a lot of people not paying the tax they should be. "

Tax avoidance is seen by many as acceptable even clever.

By *ancadamMan  over a year ago

Stockport

"I've just read that millionaire 'Sir' Andrew Lloyd Webber has flown back into the UK specially so he can vote FOR the proposed Tax Credit cuts.

Says it all really Must keep the serfs and paupers in their proper places!

In answer to the OP - 'piss takers' on benefits irritate me but I know that, in reality, MOST people on benefits. struggle terribly. The big tax evaders annoy me more."

...This sums it all up!!

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

I think the 1.5 million is a little on the low side.

However whilst I agree some people will stay on benefits its a very small proportion of the total.

I'm sure the last time someone measured it JSA was claimed for around 13 weeks on average.

Also it's not alot of money. £75 a week is not wonderful living.

There are issues with other benefits but JSA is a tough benefit and gets sanctioned easily.

The issue is the more you give the harder it is for a job to match the benefits, so illness and kids boost income from benefits beyond that which a basic job can match. But do we want ghettos, sick people uncared for, children abandoned due to not being able to feed them?

Its harsh but if you want to cut benefits then you have to hit the deserving and undeserving equally as it's not possible to sift them out and if you could it would increase administration costs to unacceptable levels.

Lionel messi aka one of the worlds best footballers probably one of the best of all time earns 300000 a WEEK and hes in court for tax avation greed

In all honesty, I've been on JSA since March and I've been applying for every job I can find since then - up to 40 a week - and I volunteer in a charity shop off my own back, but it's not all fun & games. I hardly have any quality of life and I'm definitely not a sponger!

I'm not justifying myself as I don't want to, I'm just making the point that not everyone who has to claim is scrounging.

Society is the problem, we've still got the upper class, middle class, working class and now there's 2 generations of can't be arsed class.

In your bed

"In all honesty, I've been on JSA since March and I've been applying for every job I can find since then - up to 40 a week - and I volunteer in a charity shop off my own back, but it's not all fun & games. I hardly have any quality of life and I'm definitely not a sponger!

I'm not justifying myself as I don't want to, I'm just making the point that not everyone who has to claim is scrounging."

Ah but you will be the deserving claimant.

It's only the undeserving ones who should be hit.

People don't get that it's impossible to do.

Good luck!

"In all honesty, I've been on JSA since March and I've been applying for every job I can find since then - up to 40 a week - and I volunteer in a charity shop off my own back, but it's not all fun & games. I hardly have any quality of life and I'm definitely not a sponger!

I'm not justifying myself as I don't want to, I'm just making the point that not everyone who has to claim is scrounging.

Good luck!"

I know, thanks

This thread has royally fucked me off.

"This thread has royally fucked me off."

Sorry

"Personally I think there is plenty money around - the rich are getting richer and the government is trying to divide the working class and the middle class by taking money from the middle earners to pay the poor - deflect us from looking to where the money should be coming from. I don't begrudge anyone anything, except the MPs and the like with their expenses - so much money wasted by the rich, which could be put to helping everyone. Share the wealth, but I know that will never happen."

Can you tell me who the rich are and why you think they are getting richer? Or is this a quote you saw on the tv? I would love you to explain this one!

The recent television programmes about people claiming benefits have tarred every claimant with the same brush. I personally think that the TV companies should stop filming the few bad eggs and film a normal family with normal everyday issues surviving on benefits. Don't judge the many on the actions of the few...

Can you tell me who the rich are and why you think they are getting richer? Or is this a quote you saw on the tv? I would love you to explain this one!

In your bed

To be fair benefits like the NHS will always suffer with this problem as they are huge budgets and whilst your fit well and working it seems like an expensive insurance policy that you can't opt out of, costing you 20% of everything you spend and 20% of your income after the tax free amount.

So you can see with that kind of expenditure people get pissed.

However most of the money spent on benefits goes into old age pensions and housing benefits.

So thats landlords and old people who get the most. Anyone calling them scroungers as they get the biggest slice of the pie by far? Not to mention costing NHS LOADS.

Bump everyone off at 65 and then we can all have a tax cut.

"The recent television programmes about people claiming benefits have tarred every claimant with the same brush. I personally think that the TV companies should stop filming the few bad eggs and film a normal family with normal everyday issues surviving on benefits. Don't judge the many on the actions of the few..."

In your bed

"Personally I think there is plenty money around - the rich are getting richer and the government is trying to divide the working class and the middle class by taking money from the middle earners to pay the poor - deflect us from looking to where the money should be coming from. I don't begrudge anyone anything, except the MPs and the like with their expenses - so much money wasted by the rich, which could be put to helping everyone. Share the wealth, but I know that will never happen.

Can you tell me who the rich are and why you think they are getting richer? Or is this a quote you saw on the tv? I would love you to explain this one! "

There is no list per se as people float in and out, but it is true that the rich tend to get richer. It is to do with the return on investment in capital being far more efficient than the return on investment in labour.

Good luck!"

But as she's been unemployed for so long she will be tarred with the same brush as people not bothering to look for work.

Some rich people have worked hard to get thier fortune so it can work both ways

"People get treat like shit on them...very close friend/lover of mine has been on crutches for a year, can barely walk a few stairs and they still barely help her out...apparently severely limited mobility counts as zero, yes, zero points towards a claim..

I could have cried with her...I'm very glad I'm not on them because the system is a de humanizing piece of shit

I couldnt agree more mate and this is why i get angry because some idiots get everything for doing fuck all and its the people like your friend theat need it most "

I'm sure there are a tiny minority out there who cheat the system...the same as any system, but for the most part, nobody wants to be on benefits...some folk think it's an easy option and that frankly is hilarious

I put it down to the thin oxygen up on that moral high ground...

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"The recent television programmes about people claiming benefits have tarred every claimant with the same brush. I personally think that the TV companies should stop filming the few bad eggs and film a normal family with normal everyday issues surviving on benefits. Don't judge the many on the actions of the few..."

But the sensible amongst us don't watch it or if we did, can seperate it

Nor do I ever see on here, that all people on benefits are scroungers. Some

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I get mad when benefit levels are cut without any justification from the real cost of living changes, which are always disproportionately higher for lower income people, compared to the rest of us.

There has been far too much excessive adverse publicity against benefits and most of us do not know the realities of benefit sanctions, hardship and massive propaganda that is manipulating our opinions against people like ourselves who deserve a strong and better safety-net.

If you are content being manipulated, whilst in one of the world's wealthiest countries, then support the neocon agenda to make the state smaller, whilst a tiny minority get significantly wealthier at your expense.

A race to the bottom is in no one's real interest as lower levels of income at the bottom also means far lower levels of money circulating in our economy. It's dumb on all levels to think this way.

"Although a generalist _iew I get exactly where you are coming from gotta be 2 types of claimers the ones actually searching and making an effort and the ones who sit on their asses all day long doing bare minimum why not have a stricter system that pays based on the effort put into searching for work rather than just turning up every two weeks saying you have been looking sign my book

There is. You have to have hard proof you're looking for work or you are sanctioned. More misinformation."

You can just lie, nobody actually checks..

I've been on jsa in the past and would pad out my job search records with blatant lies, even made up company names that didn't exist...

I hasten to add I wasn't on the scrounge, but some weeks it's hard to apply for the min they want to see (unless you applied for jobs you really wouldn't want)

It's such a pain in he arse on benefits though...was an awful experience and I wouldn't care to repeat it.

"Although a generalist _iew I get exactly where you are coming from gotta be 2 types of claimers the ones actually searching and making an effort and the ones who sit on their asses all day long doing bare minimum why not have a stricter system that pays based on the effort put into searching for work rather than just turning up every two weeks saying you have been looking sign my book

There is. You have to have hard proof you're looking for work or you are sanctioned. More misinformation.

I've been on jsa in the past and would pad out my job search records with blatant lies, even made up company names that didn't exist...

I hasten to add I wasn't on the scrounge, but some weeks it's hard to apply for the min they want to see (unless you applied for jobs you really wouldn't want)

It's such a pain in he arse on benefits though...was an awful experience and I wouldn't care to repeat it. "

See lies do they check....uuurgh nope nothing against you my friend your activley seeking work but its too easy for the ones who dont want to work to get away with it if we can see it surley they can

It's such a pain in he arse on benefits though...was an awful experience and I wouldn't care to repeat it.

See lies do they check....uuurgh nope nothing against you my friend your activley seeking work but its too easy for the ones who dont want to work to get away with it if we can see it surley they can "

What do you mean nothing against me..I work now and have done a long Time..I pay tax out my ass!

I was talking about when I WAS on jsa

Having g said that, I wasn't ashamed to claim it, why should I be? I was looking for work like almost everyone on it.

I was just pointing out that yes, you can lie and nobody actually checks...

Doncaster

It's such a pain in he arse on benefits though...was an awful experience and I wouldn't care to repeat it. "

Job search is all online now and you have to apply for and argeed ammount of jobs per week and it's monitored by the online system or your are automatically sanctioned, if you are offered an inter_iew (again responses are monitored by the system) and refuse the inter_iew or don't turn up for it (the employer has to report no shows) it's another automatic sanction.

By *opinovMan  over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Okay... let's interrupt this thread for a quick truth break, or maybe better described as a bitter pill since it seems so hard to swallow...

"I get much more mad at the super-rich who dodge their taxes and bribe politicians to give their companies billions of pounds in corporate welfare at our expense.

I'd far rather see my hard earned taxes go towards helping a family in need than see them siphoned off to fill the already bulging pockets of the very same millionaires who own the media outlets used to brainwash the idiot masses to whinge about a relatively small amount of money being spent on those who need it whilst ignoring the scores of billions given away to lobbyists and party funders in secretly agreed grants, subsidies, loan guarantees, sweeteners, private government contracts, knock-down share options and the like... that's where our money's really going.

If you want to whinge about money being wasted, why don't you take the time to educate yourself about where it's being wasted instead of regurgitating the line from the Daily Mail? If you make a little effort to see beyond the propaganda, you'll discover that the money spent on families on benefits is a vanishingly tiny pittance compared to the huge amounts being extracted through political corruption... but most people don't bother because it's much easier to be intellectually lazy and politically illiterate and kick whoever they've been told to hate instead of researching and thinking for themselves.

... and since we're on the DM - here's a pretty good example of the truth behind those trying to brainwash us into hating the poor so the 1% can carry on ripping us off while our gaze is elsewhere. The DM, despite its facade of patriotism and supporting our troops and all that, is owned by Jonathan Harmsworth (aka Viscount Rothermere), who lives abroad for tax purposes - leaving the rest of us to pay his share... well how public spirited and patriotic is that?

"

... and as we're about it, here's another little snippet of reality before we descend back into the mindless pandering to corporate media sponsored vilification of the poor...

"I get mad when benefit levels are cut without any justification from the real cost of living changes, which are always disproportionately higher for lower income people, compared to the rest of us.

There has been far too much excessive adverse publicity against benefits and most of us do not know the realities of benefit sanctions, hardship and massive propaganda that is manipulating our opinions against people like ourselves who deserve a strong and better safety-net.

If you are content being manipulated, whilst in one of the world's wealthiest countries, then support the neocon agenda to make the state smaller, whilst a tiny minority get significantly wealthier at your expense.

A race to the bottom is in no one's real interest as lower levels of income at the bottom also means far lower levels of money circulating in our economy. It's dumb on all levels to think this way."

Well said Sophie.

... there we go - I'm guessing that's about as much reality as this thread will stand so feel free to carry on like good little minions doing as you're told and ignoring the real problem and corruption.

See lies do they check....uuurgh nope nothing against you my friend your activley seeking work but its too easy for the ones who dont want to work to get away with it if we can see it surley they can "

And that only works briefly...they start making you go to job club, where you sit and write c.v's and do mock inter_iews and are made to apply for jobs and suchlike...all highly degrading.

No, I still say only a tiny minority take the piss.

The country hemmorages much more money elsewhere, what gets given away in undeserved claims is fuck all really.

Job search is all online now and you have to apply for and argeed ammount of jobs per week and it's monitored by the online system or your are automatically sanctioned, if you are offered an inter_iew (again responses are monitored by the system) and refuse the inter_iew or don't turn up for it (the employer has to report no shows) it's another automatic sanction."

That I didn't know...it's been a while since I had to scratch on thankfully

Doncaster

Job search is all online now and you have to apply for and argeed ammount of jobs per week and it's monitored by the online system or your are automatically sanctioned, if you are offered an inter_iew (again responses are monitored by the system) and refuse the inter_iew or don't turn up for it (the employer has to report no shows) it's another automatic sanction.

That I didn't know...it's been a while since I had to scratch on thankfully "

Yes it's much stricter now, so I imagine the real scroungers, just then acts like complete toss pots on inter_iews so they are unlikely to get the job

"

It's the same argument with people saying that immigrants are taking all the jobs, well they are taking the jobs that the lazy fuckers don't want or is beneath them..."

Well said

you always find the ones who moan about immigrants taking jobs are the ones who don't work anyway, I actually think they like the immigrants as it gives them a reason why they don't work, I've heard people say they wouldn't work for NMW even though they dropped out of school as soon as possible and have no qualifications and have never had a job, well sorry but what salary are you expecting? but yeah your rights it's the immigrants fault you don't work

That I didn't know...it's been a while since I had to scratch on thankfully

Yes it's much stricter now, so I imagine the real scroungers, just then acts like complete toss pots on inter_iews so they are unlikely to get the job "

Well there you go, you live and learn...it was quite a loophole...fetching all your evidence and it was never checked, hated those silly books you had to fill in, it felt pretty degrading tbh, like they didn't believe I was actually trying to find a job...

Sounds like a better system now..I dunno, I hope I don't need to find out any time soon

By *abphilMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Its a very immotive subject and there are some good replies, i would like to add; try working for 40 odd years, paying your dues and then try claiming benefits when you are really on your uppers, it might just open a few eyes!

By *andradee4uCouple  over a year ago

Kingston

The benefit system is supposed to act as a safety net, and therefore payments should be nothing more than adequate. If the payments are cut, then in theory, the payment will become inadequate. Such people have every right to complain. A perfect system is impossible to achieve, as one persons idea of a reasonable hand out, is not the same as the next. There will always be benefit scroungers, just as there will always be high earners that are on the fiddle. It's just easier to kick someone at the lower end.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"

This!

This! "

I will add. I was on benefits 6 years ago after losing a long term job. I ended up om antidepressants because i wasn't getting any real help. They just wanted me to apply for shitty factory jobs with 25 years experience in my trade. I eventually lost it. Told them to stick their £56 up their arse.

They wouldn't fund a course I wanted to take so I had to borrow

£1000. Passing the course allowed me to apply to a national vetting company and I've been running my business ever since.

The job centres are useless and seem to accept mass long term unemployment.

There's hope for everyone who can be bothered.

In your bed

As for those wanting more checks how would you do that without increasing administration costs and making the process more degrading?

It's a system it's not perfect but if you can show one that is I'm sure the government will take that suggestion on board.

Ideally it will have no staff, no claimants,everyone is an honest claimant, no one cheats the system (including those who only cheat a little) oh and everyone will get the job of their dreams and love the process.

Yes to those who really deserve it should have it. No doubt they got millions hidden away to the immigrants tho.

i was briefly unemployed after relocating, and they did check! they called up a couple of the places id applied to and confirmed it with them...humiliating though it seemed i have no problem with them doing it.

also, and i cant think where, but i was reading very recently that the estimated amount of tax evasion equates to 61 times the current estimate of benefit fraud...

"Yes to those who really deserve it should have it. No doubt they got millions hidden away to the immigrants tho."

what do you mean by hidden away?

"Yes to those who really deserve it should have it. No doubt they got millions hidden away to the immigrants tho.

what do you mean by hidden away?"

Yeah not sure, but recon they do as many would need it as they come in here.

"Yes to those who really deserve it should have it. No doubt they got millions hidden away to the immigrants tho.

what do you mean by hidden away?Yeah not sure, but recon they do as many would need it as they come in here."

some immigrants are entitled to some benefits under some circumstances,the same as you or i would be..are you saying there's some secret hoard especially tucked away for immigrants?

"i was briefly unemployed after relocating, and they did check! they called up a couple of the places id applied to and confirmed it with them...humiliating though it seemed i have no problem with them doing it.

also, and i cant think where, but i was reading very recently that the estimated amount of tax evasion equates to 61 times the current estimate of benefit fraud..."

Tax evasion will always out do benefits im in the 40% bracket sum weeks they could take as much as 450 a week off me imagine i found a way around that not sure how much people on jsa get everyweek but if i was to dodge tax somehow i propably be triple the amount of jsa everyweek so yeah your spot on x

"Yes to those who really deserve it should have it. No doubt they got millions hidden away to the immigrants tho."

Well if its the same immigrants I've seen, prepared to walk a thousand miles for a better life, then they already have more of my respect than some British people I know.

what do you mean by hidden away?Yeah not sure, but recon they do as many would need it as they come in here.

some immigrants are entitled to some benefits under some circumstances,the same as you or i would be..are you saying there's some secret hoard especially tucked away for immigrants?

"

You are right there as some are entitled to it. I do recon some are stashed away, we cant believe everything the pm sais can we?

what do you mean by hidden away?Yeah not sure, but recon they do as many would need it as they come in here.

You are right there as some are entitled to it. I do recon some are stashed away, we cant believe everything the pm sais can we?"

i have no delusion that politicians dont lie, but i think you'll find the benefits system is run by a far bigger machine, and is far more transparent than the PM's own piggybank!

"i was briefly unemployed after relocating, and they did check! they called up a couple of the places id applied to and confirmed it with them...humiliating though it seemed i have no problem with them doing it.

also, and i cant think where, but i was reading very recently that the estimated amount of tax evasion equates to 61 times the current estimate of benefit fraud...

Tax evasion will always out do benefits im in the 40% bracket sum weeks they could take as much as 450 a week off me imagine i found a way around that not sure how much people on jsa get everyweek but if i was to dodge tax somehow i propably be triple the amount of jsa everyweek so yeah your spot on x"

People on JSA get roughly 70 quid a week, less any housing benefit and council tax benefit shortfall, so can be as little as 60 quid a week.

Hard to have the life of Reilly on that, I'm sure

Next time you're bemoaning the benefits system consider jacking in your job to go and live on that. Then you might be grateful for what you have rather than begrudge people a pittance to live on

Doncaster

Tax evasion will always out do benefits im in the 40% bracket sum weeks they could take as much as 450 a week off me imagine i found a way around that not sure how much people on jsa get everyweek but if i was to dodge tax somehow i propably be triple the amount of jsa everyweek so yeah your spot on x"

Not sure what it is now but when I was last on basic JSA, was a while ago before having my kids, all I got was £71.40 a week and only £45 a week towards my rent, (didn't have to may council tax) and nothing else, considering my rent was £90 a week, there was only then £26.40 a week to live on, which was £106.60 a month to live on if I wanted to keep a roof over my head, then £36.70 of that was water rates, £12.50 tv licence, then I had gas and electric to pay which varied seasonally, I dropped having sky tv, broad band, a landline and contract mobile to cut costs, I'm not a smoker, drug addict, or regular drinker, but I still couldn't afford to eat and relied on my family and food banks to get by, it was an awfully degrading experience and unless you've been in that situation don't judge and write all benefit claimants off as scroungers

In your bed

Not sure if I can link to an article so I'll just give a few basic facts.

Of £156 billion spent on welfare 47% goes on state pensions.

So basically half is on universal old age. They are your biggest scroungers from the system.

10% spent on maintaining scrounging landlords.

Slightly less than 10% on scrounging disabled people.

So we are down to 30% of the remaining spending.

Then about 5% on those scrounging pensioners again getting top ups with pension credit.

So that leave 25% left.

About 5% on income support used for loan parents, estranged kids and top ups to those on old sick benefits and those scrounging carers.

So we must be down to those dirty JSA claimants now?

Nope 5% on rent rebates landlords getting their mits on more of the pie.

Then attendance allowance and then sick payments.

So aboutjust under 5% of welfare gets spent on JSA or JSA equivalents.

Ps that does not include tax credits in which case the % gets smaller.

Now of that 5% we say what 10% are scroungers. Max.

So 0.5% of welfare on scrounging and people want more checks. You have to check everyone though so the cost of Increasing checks will far out weight the savings from scroungers getting a few months of sanctionable rate benefits.

You are right there as some are entitled to it. I do recon some are stashed away, we cant believe everything the pm sais can we?

i have no delusion that politicians dont lie, but i think you'll find the benefits system is run by a far bigger machine, and is far more transparent than the PM's own piggybank!"

YEah. I recon you are right there it does and separate from the pm.

Doncaster

Tax evasion will always out do benefits im in the 40% bracket sum weeks they could take as much as 450 a week off me imagine i found a way around that not sure how much people on jsa get everyweek but if i was to dodge tax somehow i propably be triple the amount of jsa everyweek so yeah your spot on x

Not sure what it is now but when I was last on basic JSA, was a while ago before having my kids, all I got was £71.40 a week and only £45 a week towards my rent, (didn't have to may council tax) and nothing else, considering my rent was £90 a week, there was only then £26.40 a week to live on, which was £106.60 a month to live on if I wanted to keep a roof over my head, then £36.70 of that was water rates, £12.50 tv licence, then I had gas and electric to pay which varied seasonally, I dropped having sky tv, broad band, a landline and contract mobile to cut costs, I'm not a smoker, drug addict, or regular drinker, but I still couldn't afford to eat and relied on my family and food banks to get by, it was an awfully degrading experience and unless you've been in that situation don't judge and write all benefit claimants off as scroungers "

forgot to add I still had to pay bedroom tax on my one spare room too

I'm out of work at the moment but not claiming anything as living on my savings.

suffer with severe depression, social anxiety so its hard to get work.

I want to do something from home but even with 10+ yrs in higher education im shit at everything

"Not sure if I can link to an article so I'll just give a few basic facts.

Of £156 billion spent on welfare 47% goes on state pensions.

So basically half is on universal old age. They are your biggest scroungers from the system.

10% spent on maintaining scrounging landlords.

Slightly less than 10% on scrounging disabled people.

So we are down to 30% of the remaining spending.

Then about 5% on those scrounging pensioners again getting top ups with pension credit.

So that leave 25% left.

About 5% on income support used for loan parents, estranged kids and top ups to those on old sick benefits and those scrounging carers.

So we must be down to those dirty JSA claimants now?

Nope 5% on rent rebates landlords getting their mits on more of the pie.

Then attendance allowance and then sick payments.

So aboutjust under 5% of welfare gets spent on JSA or JSA equivalents.

Ps that does not include tax credits in which case the % gets smaller.

Now of that 5% we say what 10% are scroungers. Max.

So 0.5% of welfare on scrounging and people want more checks. You have to check everyone though so the cost of Increasing checks will far out weight the savings from scroungers getting a few months of sanctionable rate benefits. "

The scrounging bastards!

OP. Read a book called The Establishment by Owen Jones. It's a real eye opener and will probably change your _iew.

"It seems to me that a high proportion of "the lazy beggars don't deserve it" crew are too lazy to read anything more educating than the Daily Mail.

We need a safety net. A small proportion of people will take advantage of the system. It is worth it for all those genuine claimants that are helped. Would you like to live in a society that operated differently?"

It's laughable you think we have a safety net. If you have a mortgage that is say £1,500 a month and you lose your job - see how far those benefits go while you get back on your feet.

Germany has a far better system where you get a gradually declining % of your previous income. That acknowledges that different people have different bills to pay. Our system is fucking useless for anyone that isn't already on the margins.

In your bed

We need a safety net. A small proportion of people will take advantage of the system. It is worth it for all those genuine claimants that are helped. Would you like to live in a society that operated differently?

It's laughable you think we have a safety net. If you have a mortgage that is say £1,500 a month and you lose your job - see how far those benefits go while you get back on your feet.

Germany has a far better system where you get a gradually declining % of your previous income. That acknowledges that different people have different bills to pay. Our system is fucking useless for anyone that isn't already on the margins. "

So benefits according to spending rather than need.

Let's see if that's a vote winner.

Germany has a far better system where you get a gradually declining % of your previous income. That acknowledges that different people have different bills to pay. Our system is fucking useless for anyone that isn't already on the margins.

Let's see if that's a vote winner. "

Oh right, so a person with a £1,500 mortgage doesn't need £1,500 then? They should just lose their house and be grateful they got to live the good life for a while.

What rubbish some people come out with.

In your bed

Oh right, so a person with a £1,500 mortgage doesn't need £1,500 then? They should just lose their house and be grateful they got to live the good life for a while.

What rubbish some people come out with. "

You said it not me.

They used to give an income adjustable amount in the past, but it was removed to save money. As I said not a vote winner.

What rubbish some people come out with.

You said it not me.

They used to give an income adjustable amount in the past, but it was removed to save money. As I said not a vote winner. "

Ok but my point is simply that there isn't a safety net for everyone and before anyone says it, having a £1,500 mortgage in the south east does not make you rich, it's middle class at best.

It's interesting that when someone gets divorced, child maintenence is income adjustable because children get "accustomed to a lifestyle". Of course the same logic shouldn't apply for adults...

I'm just saying it's a shite system with perverse incentives (e.g. if you have savings you won't get benefits - so don't save, blow all your money and then you can have some!)

In your bed

"

I'm just saying it's a shite system with perverse incentives (e.g. if you have savings you won't get benefits - so don't save, blow all your money and then you can have some!) "

I'm not into arguing values as that is a personal call. So it will vary from person to person.

But the reality of political life is that it is an average of the populations values.

Put simply with average wages around 25-27k per year that puts huge swaths of the voting population below £1500 per month mortgage levels, so that support is easy to cut and was done so years before new labour was a twinkle in Tony Blairs eye.

Cuts will continue until enough people feel them. At which point we will swing the other way and start putting more into benefits.

If I was to argue semantics then I would say a safety net is there to save lives. To support income levels it would be more of a safety harness.

If I was to argue semantics?

"

I'm just saying it's a shite system with perverse incentives (e.g. if you have savings you won't get benefits - so don't save, blow all your money and then you can have some!)

I'm not into arguing values as that is a personal call. So it will vary from person to person.

But the reality of political life is that it is an average of the populations values.

Put simply with average wages around 25-27k per year that puts huge swaths of the voting population below £1500 per month mortgage levels, so that support is easy to cut and was done so years before new labour was a twinkle in Tony Blairs eye.

Cuts will continue until enough people feel them. At which point we will swing the other way and start putting more into benefits.

If I was to argue semantics then I would say a safety net is there to save lives. To support income levels it would be more of a safety harness.

If I was to argue semantics? "

I don't disagree with what you just said, other than you quoted a national average salary and the south east is notably higher. Please note, we don't actually get better houses from higher prices in the south east, quite the opposite in fact.

If I was to argue semantics I'd say that one's life is more than just feeding, shitting and breathing and involves some degree of the pursuit of happiness.

But your analysis is spot on. No political party is going to change this, I just resent paying into a one way system. Of course if you question it you'll just get politicians ranting about how it's better than the American system, as if those are the only two choices and nobody in europe is doing better than we are.

In your bed

It's OK the wife is home she has solved it all.

Cut pensions a little bit and no pensions to people with more than £2 million.

I don't like her chances of re-election.

Cutting pensions. Slightly controversial.

"It's OK the wife is home she has solved it all.

Cut pensions a little bit and no pensions to people with more than £2 million.

I don't like her chances of re-election.

Cutting pensions. Slightly controversial. "

Suggest that she stands for election as a candidate of the "fuck all chance" party

Yeah not sure, but recon they do as many would need it as they come in here."

Shag they are refugees not immigrants

Don't mean to state the obvious but your an immigrant

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if my mortgage was £1500 a month and this is before rates start to rise possibly next year, people are going to be in deep deep shit when that happens.

Ive decided It's not so grim up north

By *aramelMINXWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Benifits are there for people who need it a stop gap till work comes along or topping up low income or the genuinely I'll who can't work.

IT IS NOT a lifestyle n shouldn't be there for people who think the world is owed to them...

The goal should be is to work NOT professional bums .

"I'm out of work at the moment but not claiming anything as living on my savings.

suffer with severe depression, social anxiety so its hard to get work.

I want to do something from home but even with 10+ yrs in higher education im shit at everything"

Exam marking?

I just get judged as a bone idle fattie, too lazy to work. "

I know it's hard not to but don't take these threads personally. If you read peoples comments on the 'work shy' they don't actually back them up with anything but their opinion.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

[Removed by poster at 28/10/15 01:49:44]

Glastonbury

"I know it's hard not to but don't take these threads personally. If you read peoples comments on the 'work shy' they don't actually back them up with anything but their opinion. "

Right on, sister!

I'm glad I've been away for a few days and not seen the drivel on here.

That doesn't sound like a loaded question does it???

"I know it's hard not to but don't take these threads personally. If you read peoples comments on the 'work shy' they don't actually back them up with anything but their opinion.

Right on, sister!

"

You missed some good stuff actually.

But yeah plenty of drivel as well, and i probably contributed to it...

Glastonbury

"I know it's hard not to but don't take these threads personally. If you read peoples comments on the 'work shy' they don't actually back them up with anything but their opinion.

Right on, sister!

But yeah plenty of drivel as well, and i probably contributed to it..."

But that's the problem with these threads - much heat, no light.

Everyone shouts at each other from their silos.

No-one actually listens and I sincerely doubt anyone ever changes their mind or says, 'hmm, maybe I got that wrong'.

imo

Best bit is OP, do you even know who can claim tax credits? The very same people you are saying shouldn't moan about them getting cut, which makes your whole post a paradox in itself.

People on JSA are getting sanctioned ok? They are now expected to live off less than the minimum required to live on or nothing at all. This is NOT and NEVER justifiable behaviour in any civil society.

The disabled and ill are getting told they are not disabled or not ill, they are getting told they don't need extra money to help them have the same quality of life as able people. There are presumptions that disability = cannot work, and this is a lie that takes away power from disabled people and gives it to snotty dickheads who have no idea what they're talking about. Some can work with help, some can work only certain jobs, some cannot work for periods of time then are perfectly able at other times, some may never work at all. Many will die earlier in life than you because of their disability and making them suffer will accelerate their rate of death or make it so they are unable to function in a society that has not been created to include them.

But all the while these presumptions are happening, REAL PEOPLEs lives are being affected and not for the better, it's for the worse.

So yeah, fuck other people over if you wanna, treat them like they are subhuman and worthy of death. But do NOT expect this society that YOU are creating to give a shit about you.

Right on, sister!

But yeah plenty of drivel as well, and i probably contributed to it...

But that's the problem with these threads - much heat, no light.

Everyone shouts at each other from their silos.

No-one actually listens and I sincerely doubt anyone ever changes their mind or says, 'hmm, maybe I got that wrong'.

imo"

Lol, i got this shit covered, notice a few other posters have too.

Just some friendly advice but reading something in capital letters has never made it look more authoritative or truthful.

Best bit is OP, do you even know who can claim tax credits? The very same people you are saying shouldn't moan about them getting cut, which makes your whole post a paradox in itself.

People on JSA are getting sanctioned ok? They are now expected to live off less than the minimum required to live on or nothing at all. This is NOT and NEVER justifiable behaviour in any civil society.

The disabled and ill are getting told they are not disabled or not ill, they are getting told they don't need extra money to help them have the same quality of life as able people. There are presumptions that disability = cannot work, and this is a lie that takes away power from disabled people and gives it to snotty dickheads who have no idea what they're talking about. Some can work with help, some can work only certain jobs, some cannot work for periods of time then are perfectly able at other times, some may never work at all. Many will die earlier in life than you because of their disability and making them suffer will accelerate their rate of death or make it so they are unable to function in a society that has not been created to include them.

But all the while these presumptions are happening, REAL PEOPLEs lives are being affected and not for the better, it's for the worse.

So yeah, fuck other people over if you wanna, treat them like they are subhuman and worthy of death. But do NOT expect this society that YOU are creating to give a shit about you."

thats about the most articulate and concise description of this whole stinking situation i've seen! good on you!

"Just some friendly advice but reading something in capital letters has never made it look more authoritative or truthful."

i think you'll find the capitals were used for emphasis rather than any claim of authority...

"Just some friendly advice but reading something in capital letters has never made it look more authoritative or truthful.

i think you'll find the capitals were used for emphasis rather than any claim of authority..."

Thanks for the distinction without a difference.

"Just some friendly advice but reading something in capital letters has never made it look more authoritative or truthful.

i think you'll find the capitals were used for emphasis rather than any claim of authority..."

It was, i would've used italics but you can't use codes in here.

"My income means I'm not eligible for a penny from the state.

Funding the benefit system does not give me the right to begrudge those who claim it. Or the skill or knowledge to deem who does so deservedly or otherwise.

It is what it is. Every financial system is open to misuse and corruption. It doesn't change the fact that the benefit system provides a great deal to those who are in need. Which is all that matters, surely?"

this for me hugs

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"My income means I'm not eligible for a penny from the state.

It is what it is. Every financial system is open to misuse and corruption. It doesn't change the fact that the benefit system provides a great deal to those who are in need. Which is all that matters, surely?this for me hugs "

spot on

Stop being logical.

No one wants to hear any of that "common sense" nonsense.

Now, go to your room!!!

Better still, go to my room.....

London

Yeah not sure, but recon they do as many would need it as they come in here.

Shag they are refugees not immigrants

Don't mean to state the obvious but your an immigrant "

He reminds me of my other half always banging on about immigrants...and he's Dutch!

London

"Just some friendly advice but reading something in capital letters has never made it look more authoritative or truthful."

I think the poster was using capitals for emphasis not authority: that's how I took it.

London

Wembley

As a single childless healthy middle-aged woman with a relatively high income I am not eligible for any benefits or tax breaks. I have to pay a high rate of tax, which I do not like to, but accept that some will need to pay more for society to function in a reasonable manner

Even where I could claim medical treatment, I have chosen to pay into a private medical plan and I also pay into additional pension plans so that I do not have to rely on state pension or benefits when at an age where I have to give up my career

I do not begrudge people who due to a disability cannot work or those who are not in work due to no fault of their own. In fact, I think that the benefit amount is inadequate

These have been cut back over the years so much that now these are no longer a safety net. I feel for them and also dread to think what will happen to me long-term if I could not continue my career due to a serious illness or a horrific accident

That said, I simply cannot stand the scroungers; it doesn't matter whether they are 5% of the claimants or 0.005% of the claimants

And it doesn't matter that the amount of money spent to catch them exceeds the amount recovered or not. What happens is that some people who otherwise support a safety net in society, feel cheated by these scroungers and start tarring all claimants with the same brush

London

"As a single childless healthy middle-aged woman with a relatively high income I am not eligible for any benefits or tax breaks. I have to pay a high rate of tax, which I do not like to, but accept that some will need to pay more for society to function in a reasonable manner

Even where I could claim medical treatment, I have chosen to pay into a private medical plan and I also pay into additional pension plans so that I do not have to rely on state pension or benefits when at an age where I have to give up my career

I do not begrudge people who due to a disability cannot work or those who are not in work due to no fault of their own. In fact, I think that the benefit amount is inadequate

These have been cut back over the years so much that now these are no longer a safety net. I feel for them and also dread to think what will happen to me long-term if I could not continue my career due to a serious illness or a horrific accident

That said, I simply cannot stand the scroungers; it doesn't matter whether they are 5% of the claimants or 0.005% of the claimants

And it doesn't matter that the amount of money spent to catch them exceeds the amount recovered or not. What happens is that some people who otherwise support a safety net in society, feel cheated by these scroungers and start tarring all claimants with the same brush"

I'm divorced with three children, apart from that I could have written this.

In your bed

And that's fine to feel cheated by them. It's fine to rant and give off a bit. But when it comes to what should be done about it, it always comes back to money.

It's also important to keep the problem in focus, the talk of scrounging far outweighs the problem.

Also you have to look at other costs saved. This will be uncomfortable for some, but if you take someone who genuinely does not want to work for what ever reason, taking or cutting their benefits will have little or no effect on them, they will probably head to friends and family, but there is always crime too as an option.

Taking away what they have will not change their morality or conscience.

Meanwhile the vast majority of people claiming are just trying to do what is best for themselves and their family.

But as we are all different no system will ever be a happy medium between those who pay in and those who pay out. (even when you can be both).

In your bed

If I have one gripe with the current system it's the way it works once you start work.

For me it makes no sense for people working to pay in tax to then have to claim that tax back in the form of child benefit and family tax credits.

Just increase the personal allowance so they keep more of their own money rather than washing it through the system.

If you have kids then give them a further tax free allowance on that basis, rather than making payments to them from their own taxes.

Just a thought.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

What about the people who want to work but can't find a job... who then get "Sanctioned" because they couldn't find 30 jobs to apply for this week.

There is only a very small percentage of benefits claimants who don't want to work, but how do you get a job when you've got no qualifications, no experience, and 900 newly redundant steel workers are given priority on new positions?

Cal

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

"

this for me too.

this for me too."

this is true but sadly its easier to have loads of children than it is to find a permanent job but you got to take into consideration the people who come over here just to play the benefits system with their 16 children brothers sisters aunts uncles and the rest all living in a government paid house each adult in the house claiming some sort of benefit

this for me too. this is true but sadly its easier to have loads of children than it is to find a permanent job but you got to take into consideration the people who come over here just to play the benefits system with their 16 children brothers sisters aunts uncles and the rest all living in a government paid house each adult in the house claiming some sort of benefit "

Wembley

"And that's fine to feel cheated by them. It's fine to rant and give off a bit. But when it comes to what should be done about it, it always comes back to money.

It's also important to keep the problem in focus, the talk of scrounging far outweighs the problem.

Also you have to look at other costs saved. This will be uncomfortable for some, but if you take someone who genuinely does not want to work for what ever reason, taking or cutting their benefits will have little or no effect on them, they will probably head to friends and family, but there is always crime too as an option.

Meanwhile the vast majority of people claiming are just trying to do what is best for themselves and their family.

But as we are all different no system will ever be a happy medium between those who pay in and those who pay out. (even when you can be both)."

I agree with most of what you say

The problem is not all that difficult to understand. Too few jobs retained for the citizens of the country and too few citizens with relevant qualifications

I also agree with the your comment about the less desirable alternatives the scroungers may seek were their income curtailed

But it still disturbes me for two reasons; one that we are being cheated and two because this money belongs to those who really need these benefits; as it is they are living on the borderline and it is shameful that a civilised society permits that to happen to its own people

"And that's fine to feel cheated by them. It's fine to rant and give off a bit. But when it comes to what should be done about it, it always comes back to money.

But as we are all different no system will ever be a happy medium between those who pay in and those who pay out. (even when you can be both).

I agree with most of what you say

The problem is not all that difficult to understand. Too few jobs retained for the citizens of the country and too few citizens with relevant qualifications

I also agree with the your comment about the less desirable alternatives the scroungers may seek were their income curtailed

But it still disturbes me for two reasons; one that we are being cheated and two because this money belongs to those who really need these benefits; as it is they are living on the borderline and it is shameful that a civilised society permits that to happen to its own people"

we are all slaves to the system no matter what you do even people on benefits the system is floored so that no one can beat it apart from the people in the 1% that run everything and make money doing fuck all apart from watching their bank balance keep going up the working people are taxed working for the 1% and the 1% pay fuck all in taxes and claim bonuses and expenses meaning their tax is even less practically making their contribution to society 0% but no one cares about that they only care about the people cheating the system to survive on the amount of benefits they get if everyone put this effort in bringing down the tax evading companies that do fuck all to society like they do moaning about benefits cheats then maybe there would be more money payed in to taxes in turn would reduce the amount of taxes that are payed by the average working person then none of you would have a reason to complain because then you wouldn't be paying for these peoples benefits the million pound companies would be with their taxes not that I would make a difference to their bank balance but we wont do that its far to easy to blame the people barely surviving than to hit the person that could feed all the starving people in the world 20 times over

Just a thought

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Unfortunately since the Thatcher years and the introduction of the greed is good politics of the 80s so many just like you are so busy doing down those less fortunate than yourselves that you and they have lost sight of exactly how much you and they have also had taken from them to be given to the super rich.

But you all carry on grinding your heals into the necks of those below you and forget about heal on your neck.

Wembley

Unfortunately since the Thatcher years and the introduction of the greed is good politics of the 80s so many just like you are so busy doing down those less fortunate than yourselves that you and they have lost sight of exactly how much you and they have also had taken from them to be given to the super rich.

But you all carry on grinding your heals into the necks of those below you and forget about heal on your neck."

Pardon me but nowhere is the OP "grinding his heels into the necks .....". He is speaking of those who are cheating the benefits system which was designed as a safety net for those who genuinely need it

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

But you all carry on grinding your heals into the necks of those below you and forget about heal on your neck.

Pardon me but nowhere is the OP "grinding his heels into the necks .....". He is speaking of those who are cheating the benefits system which was designed as a safety net for those who genuinely need it"

the Op complains about people being upset when the poorest in society complain when their benefits are cut. Nowhere did he mention benefit fraudsters. Your jumping to his defence is typical of the attitude that has been indoctrinated into the majority of the British public over the last 35 years by the Tory media that has led us to a place where our government give tax cuts to millionaires, big business and their banker mates while systematically dismantling the welfare (that was the envy of the world) in the name of austerity.