FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > MSN vs Skype

MSN vs Skype

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I had been asked to use Skype by my ex-hubby, as he was asked to use it by his best friend over in Switzerland.

Got it now, and am wondering what the fuss is about.

Is Skype that much better when compared with MSN? What can it do that MSN can't?

Help please for a Skype virgin, thank you!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have never ever gotten into skype at all so it is a question I'd be interested in finding out the answer to.....

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

I know that Skype can be used to make PC-to-landline phone calls as well as PC-to-PC calls.

I don't really use MSN very much so maybe you can do that too, but it's one of the main points of using Skype.

MSN is primarily WIndows-based whereas Skype runs on Macs and also Linux-based netbooks too.

Also, you can now get Skype-enabled mobile phones so I'd suggest it's easier to use Skype when you're not at a PC than it is to use MSN.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks for the information, keep them coming please!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

On the 3 network phones are able to use Skype without a computer as a stand alone feature. They share common features with MSN but also have distinct individual answers. It is probably easier to go to the Skype website and look at their promotional literature.

swindon

Ooh ooh ooh, I forgot one...

With Skype you can register a local landline number in one of many countries and have that routed to your Skype number, so for example a person or more likely a business may want to appear to be based in a particular country so customers can call a local number, or so they appear to be based somewhere where they're not physically located (e.g. call centres based offshore).

You can't do that with MSN.

swindon

Also, I don't believe that you can do multi-videoconferencing with MSN - it's just on a 1-1 basis, whereas with Skype you can have up to 5 people in a videoconference at the same time.

swindon

Some IM clients, notably Yahoo, allow you to send messages to contacts when they're showing as offline but I don't think that MSN offers this functionality (I'm prepared to be corrected on this point, as I'm not a big MSN user). Skype allows you to send messages to people who are offline.

Right, I'd better stop there cause I'm making myself look way too geeky for my own good. Nobody loves a geek.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

MSN has recently reverted to allowing all their account holders to access the IP address of anyone they are in contact with either swapping emails, attachments, video and live chat via hotmail or messenger services

So if you at all concerned about protecting the actual whereabouts i.e. the physical location of the PC you use to access the internet,,, MSN don’t currently protect that from anyone with knowledge of a very simple procedure which can be used to find out where you are logging on from....

This only applys to fixed line pc's which are hard wire conected,,,, and not to moblie internet (dongle) laptops

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

Skype is much better than MSN. I have been using it for years. Skype is great for making voice calls as they are free (well PC to PC calls are free). You can also use your web cam with Skype. So if you have friends or relatives who live abroad it is a great way of keeping in touch. You can also use skype to send messages like you do with MSN. Also you don't get loads of people asking you to add them to your skype like you do with MSN. Skype is also great for making booty calls lol especially if you both have a web cam.

» Add a new message to this topic