FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Teenage boys - why do they do such stupid things

Teenage boys - why do they do such stupid things

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have had an awful afternoon. We went into town shopping and received a call from my youngest son (15) to say could I get home immediately as the paramedics who were in my house wanted to speak to me as his best friend had had an accident.

I rushed home like a mad person to find my sons friend lying on my sofa with his leg up. I have a river near to my house and both boys had been playing football. the ball went onto the canal and my sons friend decided to "test the ice" to see if he could get it. My son apparently told him not to as it was dangerous (I have drummed this into him so many times) but he couldnt stop his friend from trying it out.

Needless to say the ice broke and he went into the river, luckily for him it wasnt deep where he was, and my son held onto the railing of the bridge nearby and pulled his friend out. My son rang an ambulance and managed to get his friend into my house and had the foresight to make sure his friend completely undressed and got into my sons clothes and then he covered him with his duvet.

I know boys take risks etc and luckily all was ok, but I cant stop replaying it over in my head. What if he had gone under, what if he had dragged my son in with him. I cant get it out of my head.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Have a bloody good cry and get it out of your system,then thank god that the both of them are ok xxx

By *ruitWoman  over a year ago

near kings lynn

God that is awful. Your mind must be doing awful things thinking what if. At least your son did the right thing. Praise him and love him for it. The other boys parents must be going spare at him!

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple  over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

first thing is a well done to your son you can be very proud of him and just hope his m8s parent pick up the phone to thank him as well .

They are okay.. thats the main things.. sadly boys will be boys..

You can worry yourself forever over the what ifs, be thank full that they ahve both had a good scare, and are unlikely to try that silly stunt again.

Katie. x

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Sounds like a reason for great pride - in your son for behaving correctly in a crisis, and yourself for bringing up in a way that enables such behaviour.

thank you all, you could go mad if you worried about the what ifs and I am really proud of my son, damn scary though x

"God The other boys parents must be going spare at him!"

That or unfortunately in todays world booking the solicitors appointment read to sue. Hopefully not though.

The title of your thread asks and answers really doesn't it: teenage boys do stupid things!

That said, your son sounds a star!!! Well done him, and thankfully all's well that end's well. I know it's easier said than done but try not to ponder on the "what ifs"...you'll drive yourself crazy, and they are both alright!

I'm glad both are safe.

Walked on the frozen canal many a time in childhood winters.

Youngster do these things through lack of experience.

I suspect the other boys parents tell him not to walk on ice too. Mine always did. Perfect reason for testing it out really.

Happy ending xx

Kids are kids

Wish i could wrap mine in cotton wool to but ya can't

Just be glad that it turned out ok and like someone else said have a good cry and get it outta ya system

Then give em both a stern but not angry talikn too

Good luck xx

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

how spooky - just been watching a crappy home video programme on tv (i dont get many channels - dont judge me lol) and they had a video of someone trying to get a ball that was on a frozen brooke. now this was obviously not very deep but i did think it was very stupid of them to put it on for laughs!!!

glad your son and his mate are ok Iconc

Put the 'what ifs' to one side. Easier said than done especially with teenage boys. 'What if he fell out of that tree/fell off his bike into the path of a car/gets in with a bad crowd/takes drugs/drinks/gets his girlfriend pregnant' Ad Infinitum.

Instead, if I may say so, replace the worry with the immense sense of pride you must be feeling. Your son sounds like a fine young man. Sensible, level headed, practical, resourceful, courageous and quick witted. Without sounding too dramatic these qualities may have just saved his friends life [two feet of water is plenty deep enough especially in extreme cold temperatures].

The fact that your son possesses these admirable qualities is entirely due to the life lessons he has learned from his parent(s). That is.......YOU.

I hope this has made you feel a bit better. And well done to your son.

xxx

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Speaking as a 50 yr old bloke who still thinks he's a teenager I can say this...

Boys teens whatever start out in life thinking they are invincible, there are not too many situations that instill fear in a body raging with hormones. The last thing on any kids mind is danger or dying when they are having fun.

As they advance in years, hopefully reaching their 20's without too many scrapes they look back and have a laugh. Then realise just how dangerous some things they got up to really were.

For some it advances into adulthood with skydiving etc, but even us oldies take risks that seem ok at the time, only looking back realising it could have ended with tragic consequences.

I would say that now the incident is over, remind them how stupid they were, but don't go over the top or they'll just ignore you. Then in private, thank God that they were spared from anything worse.

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

glad they are both ok Iconic. 15yo here stabbed and killed a 21yo girl last week, leaving her son an orphan

Thank you all for your lovely words, yesterday, even though i tried to hide it all evening, I couldnt settle, couldnt watch TV, read and I came on fab but even then it was in my head all the time.

At this moment I never want my son to go out again and I want him to stop seeing this friend, even though theyve been friends for years. The part that im stuck on in my head today is that my son was standing up and leaning over when he pulled his friend out, what if he went head first......he did hold on to railings of the bridge with one hand which was good, but oh its all been said, I could go mad and I cant wrap him up in cotton wool.

I am proud though because I always thought my 15 year old was very immature. He is never off his Xbox, PS3, gaming on PC or Facebook (mind you now Id rather that, at least he's safe). But I am proud that he had the foresight to ring an ambulance and make his friend completely undress and get into dry clothes, as hypothermia can set in pretty quickly. And of course he had to practically carry his friend to our house as his friend has sprained his ankle. He did all that before ringing me and I didnt realise how mature he was. And they were both honest with the ambulance crew too about what had happened - yeah I am proud

"Thank you all for your lovely words, yesterday, even though i tried to hide it all evening, I couldnt settle, couldnt watch TV, read and I came on fab but even then it was in my head all the time.

At this moment I never want my son to go out again and I want him to stop seeing this friend, even though theyve been friends for years. The part that im stuck on in my head today is that my son was standing up and leaning over when he pulled his friend out, what if he went head first......he did hold on to railings of the bridge with one hand which was good, but oh its all been said, I could go mad and I cant wrap him up in cotton wool.

I am proud though because I always thought my 15 year old was very immature. He is never off his Xbox, PS3, gaming on PC or Facebook (mind you now Id rather that, at least he's safe). But I am proud that he had the foresight to ring an ambulance and make his friend completely undress and get into dry clothes, as hypothermia can set in pretty quickly. And of course he had to practically carry his friend to our house as his friend has sprained his ankle. He did all that before ringing me and I didnt realise how mature he was. And they were both honest with the ambulance crew too about what had happened - yeah I am proud "

And it speaks volumes for you and your relationship with your son. The fact that he did all the right things, in the right order and then called you means your relationship is so strong that he had the confidence to call you. Many others would have scurried off, covered it all up and bluffed it out. So well done Mum too

His friend can't be all that bad either. A bit daft maybe but my Nan always used to say "Show me your friends and I'll tell you what kind of man you are".

By *uro anchorMan  over a year ago

Coventry

"They are okay.. thats the main things.. sadly boys will be boys..

You can worry yourself forever over the what ifs, be thank full that they ahve both had a good scare, and are unlikely to try that silly stunt again.

Katie. x"

did u say silly stunt ??

glad their bot ok.. scary though xx

its called testosterone and being a a boy. As all have said, he is well n safe so all good. Dont pamper, in some ways look at it this way. He certainly wont do it gain.....

By *abysaraWoman  over a year ago

swindon

well you have brought your son up well be proud off him and look forward

Look at it this way.....it even further instilled into your son the danger of frozen rivers,so he's even less likely to "test the ice".

As for his friend, its probably a lesson he won't forget and one that will stand him in good stead for the future.

So don't upset yourself crying over what might have been but wasn't, just be happy for a safe outcome and a harsh lesson learned.

XXXX

» Add a new message to this topic