FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Non denominational schools?

Non denominational schools?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *acread OP   Couple  over a year ago

central scotland

Should schools be non denominational?

My view is schools should be for education and not for teaching religion one school all religions.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Both of my children go to a church school. The education that the get is second to non and all tho it is a christian school they do get to learn about every religion and they are brought up to not judge just because someone is different

By *ast and modifiedCouple  over a year ago

near glasgow

"Should schools be non denominational?

My view is schools should be for education and not for teaching religion one school all religions."

what you are saying is dont teach religion in non denominational schools,if you are not saying that then where will they have the time to teach education as the full day would be taken up with religion education due the amount of different religions in the uk

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I went to a non denominational school, was taught about all types of religions and it never took all day.....

Just One RE lesson a week was sufficient.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

schools have to teach religion.once people get older,they're much harder to brainwash.

central scotland

Okay things are now a bit more complicated since my school days in Scotland, it was Catholic or Protestant

So will now say I dont believe religion should be taught in schools at all and it should be one school for all.

There is plenty of time for religion outside school hours.

near glasgow

"I went to a non denominational school, was taught about all types of religions and it never took all day.....

Just One RE lesson a week was sufficient."

that was at least 35 years ago,many more denominations in uk now .

Oh dear other half and I had a big row over this today I belive that the children have the right to chose what religon that they want to follow. Now to do this they have to find out about each of the main religions. In the local Primary they do RE once a week and they learn about it there. I will go so far to say that when my youngest was in nusrery last year she was taught about the festivel of Danali. I had no problem with this as it taught her that just because they worship in a diffrent way they are just the same as ourselfs, with their own belif's (sp)

Teach them what they want to know and let the children pick what they want to follow if they want to follow that is. Every child has rights and one of them is the right to choice. We have no right to take that away from them. This is Law by the way.

Torquay

"I went to a non denominational school, was taught about all types of religions and it never took all day.....

Just One RE lesson a week was sufficient.that was at least 35 years ago,many more denominations in uk now ."

Now now....no need to get bitchy.

There are no more denominations taught now than there were when I was at school, just becuase the population of the UK is changing it doesn't mean that these incomers have brand new religions.

central scotland

Was told by more than one teacher while I was in school that religion was more important than education and I find that a strange thing for a teacher to say being that the reason for going to school was to be educated.

My daughter is attending an academy which is run by a faith based organisation. However they class themselves as a fully inclusive school and welcome all denominations of children and do not use faith as a selection criteria. The teach about all religions and evolution. It is well rounded. This is what I think schools should be doing. IMO singular faith based schools only make the understanding and acceptance of other faiths more difficult.

"Okay things are now a bit more complicated since my school days in Scotland, it was Catholic or Protestant

So will now say I dont believe religion should be taught in schools at all and it should be one school for all.

There is plenty of time for religion outside school hours."

It isn't just about whether religion ought to be taught in schools or not - it's about the whole separate education system operated in the West of Scotland.

When you take two weans who've played together happily since before they could walk and send them to different schools when they turn 5 it's hardly surprising they end up at opposite ends of the terraces a few years later - baying for each other's blood.

central scotland

My thoughts exactly Voyeur.

near glasgow

Just One RE lesson a week was sufficient.that was at least 35 years ago,many more denominations in uk now .

There are no more denominations taught now than there were when I was at school, just becuase the population of the UK is changing it doesn't mean that these incomers have brand new religions."

we didnt have the same influx then as what we have now.

Torquay

Just One RE lesson a week was sufficient.that was at least 35 years ago,many more denominations in uk now .

There are no more denominations taught now than there were when I was at school, just becuase the population of the UK is changing it doesn't mean that these incomers have brand new religions.we didnt have the same influx then as what we have now."

The numbers have changed....the religions haven't....that was my point.

near glasgow

There are no more denominations taught now than there were when I was at school, just becuase the population of the UK is changing it doesn't mean that these incomers have brand new religions.we didnt have the same influx then as what we have now.

The numbers have changed....the religions haven't....that was my point."

from one muslim to 30 is a big shout for the karan

There are no more denominations taught now than there were when I was at school, just becuase the population of the UK is changing it doesn't mean that these incomers have brand new religions.we didnt have the same influx then as what we have now."

The answer is not to teach religion in schools at all. I don't belive in any sort of sky-fairy and don't believe the paid liars who propagate that nonsense have any place in schools.

That said, I entirely understand if parents choose to brainwash their kids in their own time and at their own expense.

I'm reminded of

Religion is like a penis.

It's one thing to have one.

It's one thing to be proud of it.

But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

I've lived in France and my son was educated there for a while. It was incredibly refreshing to realise that in France schools and religion are secular. This also applies to government too.

The term they use to describe this is laïcité. There's a very good Wikipedia article that explains the concept...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La%C3%AFcit%C3%A9

"The principle of laïcité in France is implemented through a number of policies. The French government is legally prohibited from recognizing any religion (except for legacy statutes like those of military chaplains and the local law of Alsace-Moselle)."

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

you'r religion chooses you,you dont choose your religion.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

My view is schools should be for education and not for teaching religion one school all religions."

If someone wants to run a private school with NO government funding then i would let them as long as they are correctly vetted and monitored. I don't think its right but i would not remove their choice as its not democratic.

My view is schools should be for education and not for teaching religion one school all religions.

If someone wants to run a private school with NO government funding then i would let them as long as they are correctly vetted and monitored. I don't think its right but i would not remove their choice as its not democratic."

As I recall that was how the Christian Brothers operated and a quick Google will tell you everything you need to know about the scandals that brought about.

It's almost impossible to vet and monitor organisations involving kids unless you control the money. Even the Catholic Church, for all it's immesurable wealth, cound't do anything more than turn a blind eye to the behaviour at parish level.

If someone wants to run a private school with NO government funding then i would let them as long as they are correctly vetted and monitored. I don't think its right but i would not remove their choice as its not democratic.

As I recall that was how the Christian Brothers operated and a quick Google will tell you everything you need to know about the scandals that brought about.

It's almost impossible to vet and monitor organisations involving kids unless you control the money. Even the Catholic Church, for all it's immesurable wealth, cound't do anything more than turn a blind eye to the behaviour at parish level."

Very true all institutions are hard to monitor be it kids or not but if we restrict too much then we fail to be democratic. There is a bit of news on Saudi schools right now using anti semantic books. If suspect teaching materiel is used then i would close the school if it wasn't removed but its a very fine line what you let go and stop.

".......There is a bit of news on Saudi schools right now using anti semantic books........."

I dunno about anti-semantic books but the Panorama programme was about, amongst other things, anti Semitic books - a different matter altogether.

".......There is a bit of news on Saudi schools right now using anti semantic books.........

I dunno about anti-semantic books but the Panorama programme was about, amongst other things, anti Semitic books - a different matter altogether."

I wouldn't say different as denominational schools use text books approved by the religious denomination they are affiliated to.

".......There is a bit of news on Saudi schools right now using anti semantic books.........

I dunno about anti-semantic books but the Panorama programme was about, amongst other things, anti Semitic books - a different matter altogether.

I wouldn't say different as denominational schools use text books approved by the religious denomination they are affiliated to.

"

That's a very, very long way from being the same thing. There's any number of Jewish schools in the UK. I doubt any of them use anti-Semitic texts in the classroom.

I say do away with religion completely and that includes First Division as well as the others.

That's a very, very long way from being the same thing. There's any number of Jewish schools in the UK. I doubt any of them use anti-Semitic texts in the classroom."

Your taking things totally out of context but it is late i guess.

The Jewish schools would not use anything like that but they do have different text books for some subjects. They are in favour of the creationist theory and so books support that. The Muslim schools have books with certain pictures removed etc and a bias towards their own religion.

I am very curious as to what you think separatist schools ethos is after reading the last comment. What do you think they teach differently to a standard state school and what do you think are the fundamental differences?

That's a very, very long way from being the same thing. There's any number of Jewish schools in the UK. I doubt any of them use anti-Semitic texts in the classroom.

......................"

Late? I'm not the one who seems unable to distinguish between semantic and semitic.

Late? I'm not the one who seems unable to distinguish between semantic and semitic."

If your spoiling for a fight go knock on next door as he might oblige.

Otherwise read what people put and not misquote, but i figure that's not your intention is it.

Late? I'm not the one who seems unable to distinguish between semantic and semitic.

Otherwise read what people put and not misquote, but i figure that's not your intention is it."

I haven't misquoted anyone, least of all you.

You watched Panorama and, somehow, thought anti-Semitic was anti-semantic. You were wrong. You still are. Live with it.

Otherwise read what people put and not misquote, but i figure that's not your intention is it.

I haven't misquoted anyone, least of all you.

You watched Panorama and, somehow, thought anti-Semitic was anti-semantic. You were wrong. You still are. Live with it."

For gods sake grow up! I didn't watch panorama as it happens i was out but thats here nor there, i work for a Jewish company so have had story and verse on this for the last 3 weeks. But hey you want to try be the big man and be clever go for it, i just can't be arsed so here you go massage your ego and have the last word.

"Oh dear other half and I had a big row over this today I belive that the children have the right to chose what religon that they want to follow. Now to do this they have to find out about each of the main religions. In the local Primary they do RE once a week and they learn about it there. I will go so far to say that when my youngest was in nusrery last year she was taught about the festivel of Danali. I had no problem with this as it taught her that just because they worship in a diffrent way they are just the same as ourselfs, with their own belif's (sp)

Teach them what they want to know and let the children pick what they want to follow if they want to follow that is. Every child has rights and one of them is the right to choice. We have no right to take that away from them. This is Law by the way."

errr it occurred to me that if children know what they want to know then we don't really need to teach them? Perhaps a more faciliting approach is more appropriate if they know what they want to know.

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

That's a very, very long way from being the same thing. There's any number of Jewish schools in the UK. I doubt any of them use anti-Semitic texts in the classroom."

No, but they may well be indoctrinating their children to believe that the Jews are God's "Chosen People", that Palestinian land belongs to them because God gave it to them, and that the rest of us are "abominations" or "mud people" without souls.

The Arabs seem to have forgotten that they too are a Semitic people.

Any of this religious nonsense fed to children just ensures another generation of people who "know" they are superior, that their fairy story is the "real" one, and that everyone else is wrong.

Whether it makes them militant holy warriors or just smug twats, it's bad news for peace and harmony between peoples of the world.

» Add a new message to this topic