FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Would you give up some free time to visit the old and sick

Would you give up some free time to visit the old and sick

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As we have the festive season coming up would you give up an hour of your time to visit somebody in a nursing home! Near you just to show your feeling towards the old and needy I was chatting to Louise about this last night and it came a visit and a chat to some old people would make there day?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes i do, but not to a nursing home. Not just at christmas either

By *zMaleMan  over a year ago

penzance

I have done in the past. Some of the old boys have great stories to tell. Fascinating!!!!!!!!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

I aim to be just like nan from catherine tate when im old so visit me at your peril

Seriously I think that there will be plenty that would enjoy it but just as many that would feel it patronising

I would think that a residential home and not a nursing home would get more response from something like this

Yes I do I do a wonderful service through the local library where I go and sit and read with the elderly. Ie for company and for those who can no longer read. Have been doing it for years.

Forum Mod

"Yes I do I do a wonderful service through the local library where I go and sit and read with the elderly. Ie for company and for those who can no longer read. Have been doing it for years."

Aawwww thats lovely x

I reckon if you knocked on the door of a nursing home & asked to visit the residents they wouldn't let you in. Health & safety would prevent it! Especially if, considering most of my free time I'm dressed in benders & crotchless knickers

"I reckon if you knocked on the door of a nursing home & asked to visit the residents they wouldn't let you in. Health & safety would prevent it! Especially if, considering most of my free time I'm dressed in benders & crotchless knickers "

Yes you do need to be checked bit like cib.

Oh and we have a local community house run by the church called the way in and its great especially for the elderly where we serve hot meals and its a great meeting centre.

Excellent idea, hospitals also need this. When my mum was in recently there were many senior people with no visitors.

Jokes regarding my choice of clothing aside, yes I would. I used to visit a lady until she passed away at 96 and the stories she told fascinated both me and my children. She had a tub of leggo they played with & they would often stop playing to listen to her. Sometimes its easy to forget that these people were once vibrant and (from what I can gather) quite naughty!!

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

have done and will continue doing so, including working in local soup kitchens on Christmas Day.

By *ruitWoman  over a year ago

near kings lynn

I admire anyone that helps out with charities as a volunteer in any form. Cant call them lazy and self centered. They are considerate and do it for no reward other than seeing the joy on peoples faces.

Well done everyone x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I know they were'nt old but does it count that i used to go to the prison to teach them to read and write. Did it for about five years until i married and moved

By *uro anchorMan  over a year ago

Coventry

not done that but do the feeding an party for the homeless on christmas day.. dont suppose it does much good makes me feel good though.. dont even have a drink unti the evening lol

my xmas morning will be spent with old folks as i work with them all year some days i am the only person they see

I love going to see my old dears. life would be so dull without them.

Thought Granny_Crumpet has enough visitors from the site doesn't she?

I regularly visit a nursing home to see a relative and also spend a lot of time with other old folks in my job. The added bonus of their friendship and humour and wealth of knowledge in my working day is part of what makes me love my job.

Also spending the extra few minutes when I am not working, having a cuppa and a chat with them is a pleasure, I consider them friends even if there are many years between us!

as i just had a bday and im signed off do i count as old and sick lol

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

"as i just had a bday and im signed off do i count as old and sick lol"

nah you would have to come and visit a really oldie like me

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I give up my time and devote it to other in need people.

By *lack_BoltMan  over a year ago

oxford

I've just been offered a job as a carer, and I'm really excited about it. The pay is crap but I have to do all the household chores and errands for local elderly people so that they can stay I their own homes and not have to go into homes.

I feel particularly good about it because it is something I've wanted to do for years, and being a man I didn't expect to get the job but thought I'd try it anyway. It means a lot of driving to my various clients and performing lots of menial tasks, but I feel like I've just won the lottery. I'm doing something that's really helpful.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"I've just been offered a job as a carer, and I'm really excited about it. The pay is crap but I have to do all the household chores and errands for local elderly people so that they can stay I their own homes and not have to go into homes.

I feel particularly good about it because it is something I've wanted to do for years, and being a man I didn't expect to get the job but thought I'd try it anyway. It means a lot of driving to my various clients and performing lots of menial tasks, but I feel like I've just won the lottery. I'm doing something that's really helpful. "

Well thats a breath of fresh air, you hear so many people moan about jobs no matter what they are. As for menial tasks to the people your doing them for they will probably be pretty big things and valued. To be able to stop in their own home and you facilitating that for them is a pretty big thing for them. Hats off to you i hope when i get old i hope people are as enthusiastic as you are, i am sure your help will be appreciated.

» Add a new message to this topic