FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Exams...Spelling....Grammar

Exams...Spelling....Grammar

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Grammar and Spelling.....

I didn't realise that in exams you are not marked down for this! but apparently under reforms to be announced next week, pupils now stand to lose up to 5% of marks for bad grammar and poor spelling

what do you guys think??? right? wrong? encourage people to get a dictionary or to spell check?

(you don't know how many times I checked this just to make sure..... )

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I personally believe it is about time someone somewhere wakes up to realise the importance of grammer and spelling when teaching/learning a language.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I agree with it..

Is there an exclusion for people with diagnosed dyslexia or is it for everyone taking the exam. That would be fair.

I too agree, my daughter learned more about grammar when learning foreign languages than she did while learning her native english.

Obviously those with learning difficulties, dyslexia etc. should have special dispensations. xxx

When i was doing my exams we were marked down for poor spelling , grammar and punctuation.

I have noticed over the years that schools wouldn't correct childrens spelling ect as they didn't want to make them feel bad ! I used to have constant arguments with my sons teachers over this practice but thats the school curriculum for you ,keep the kids all on the same dumb level .

I also worked with someone who was in teacher training and it would amaze you that she couldn't spell or count (she is a teacher now) So what chance do the kids have if someone like that is in the profession ?

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I was chatting to a friend of mine who is an English teacher in a South London school.

She had just accused 2 kids of copying their work from a website.

They of course denied it totally. Saying that she couldn't prove it, yadda yaddda.

Their parents came into school accusing her of false accusations etc etc.

So she showed the parents the previous work submitted. Full of text speak, no grammer, no punctuation.

Compared to the work she had accused them of copying. Every word spelt correctly, complete and full punctuation.

Funnily enough the parents wandered away quite sheepishly!!!

I have just taken an exam with the OU and spelling you were marked down for. I was lucky that I could use spell check but for most others they couldn't. They were also marked down for bad hand writing.

It is time for the Children of today to be taught spelling grammer and handwriting. My children couldn't belive that I had lessons in hand writing they were shocked. But to me they need that. One thing that they don't need that I was taught was Latin. still haven't used it lol

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

Grammer?

Grammar even lol.

Maybe text spelling has a lot to do with poor spelling among young folk,who knows?

Then again I do believe that a word should be spelt as it sounds in a lot of cases.

My grammar/spelling are not perfect by a long way so feel free to correct me.

"Grammer?

Grammar even lol.

Maybe text spelling has a lot to do with poor spelling among young folk,who knows?

Then again I do believe that a word should be spelt as it sounds in a lot of cases.

My grammar/spelling are not perfect by a long way so feel free to correct me."

For your information I am dislexic so don't pull me up

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Mine are far from perfect, and I have a degree in English!!!

But I don't correct people on their spelling, grammar etc.

Unless it's people I know, and then its purely in jest!!!

central scotland

Did not mean to offend.

Not many people (especially myself) can criticise anyone elses spelling grammar on here as I would think around 90% of us get it wrong regularly.

"Did not mean to offend.

Not many people (especially myself) can criticise anyone elses spelling grammar on here as I would think around 90% of us get it wrong regularly. "

I am sorry but I really do try and get it right the first time I am doing a degree at the moment but things like that really hurt. If you think in this way if you get knocked many times you then start to doubt yourself that you can do it. I have things that help me but I try to not use them so I can spell better the more I do it.

I go into chat and if I wasn't such a strong person I would stop as I can't spell. People please think before you say things as they may have a hidden disability and words do hurt. I for one is now going into chat to say hello to everyone

Try not to get upset or hurt by it though, if you are dyslexic then it cannot be helped. You werent the only person to spell grammar incorrectly either.

I am usually very good at spelling and grammar, and when at work it has to be correct. Obviously when I am at home and come on these forums, I let it all slip out of sheer laziness. My biggest errors are not putting capital letters where they should go or using punctuation and my brain sometimes races ahead whilst my fingers try and catch up, so consequently I dont type in vital words, which can completely change the whole meaning of the post. And I never read posts back before posting either.

I think schools should deduct marks from exam papers for spellings and grammar though, too many children these days talk in text speak. I actually heard someone say "lol" once, its getting to the point where I cant understand a word younger people say.

I am the same I get messages that have text speek and I don't understand it at all. I try hard with Grammar and puncuation as I think that it is important to show people how to use it right, I still correct the family when they don't talk properly for exampal me and my friend insead of my friend and I. See I have spelt wrong already hahahaha. But I do wish the schools would teach the children the right way and not leave it as they won't make a good impression when they are older trying to find a Job. Any way I am sure people will accept me for who I am not the way I spell things.

By *eprobatepairCouple  over a year ago

london

It's all about standards. If you can't spell it is definitely something that will count against you. Were I reading a CV that was poorly spelled, used bad grammar and had terrible punctuation I'd very likely discount that candidate. My job involves having to be correct in all those areas. It's unfair on the dyslexic but that is the reality.

The problem is nowadays that many teachers have terrible spelling themselves. The internet and text speak makes things worse. Lazy, slovenly writing is inexcusable, it's indicative of a general lowering of standards in education.

On internet forums I wonder if a lot of the problem is that so many people cannot touch type. That said, nothing beats proof reading your own posts.

If you are offended about being judged on not being able to spell because you can't be bothered, you can, of course call people shallow. Then again you could also take the time to learn to spell correctly as well. If you are dyslexic that is an entirely different matter.

But not knowing the difference between there, they're and their, could have and could of or discrete and discreet is sheer laziness.

Waiting to be shot down in flames....

central scotland

Shot down in flames reprobate? that will never happen not in fab forum.

central scotland

Ok lads get the spitfires fuelled.

"Ok lads get the spitfires fuelled."

No, after reading their post and profile I`m "fritened" now.

"Grammar and Spelling.....

I didn't realise that in exams you are not marked down for this! but apparently under reforms to be announced next week, pupils now stand to lose up to 5% of marks for bad grammar and poor spelling

what do you guys think??? right? wrong? encourage people to get a dictionary or to spell check?

(you don't know how many times I checked this just to make sure..... )"

I think it's wrong

If someone is taking a science/maths exam for example then why should spelling affect it?

When taking an English exam maths/scince don't come into it!

Anyway, what about people with say dyslexia ? it would affect there other exams

Tony

Forum Mod

People that are diagnosed with dyslexia are'nt marked down for spelling,they generally get longer to take an exam and they have the use of laptops and spell check,well they did when I was at uni last year

The rest of us had to hand write in exams

"People that are diagnosed with dyslexia are'nt marked down for spelling,they generally get longer to take an exam and they have the use of laptops and spell check,well they did when I was at uni last year

The rest of us had to hand write in exams"

Ok as I have said I have just taken an exam with the OU I am dyslexic but I had to go through a dx before I was able to get any help through the OU. I was able to use the pc to write my exam answers and use spell check. I was also give and extra hour to do this so they can and do help. I could of also used Dragon 10 as well if I wanted to.

I have use spell check on this one lol

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

It changed a few years ago when text speak cam in with mobile phones. Sadly it has pervaded every aspect of our lives since. I hate it when people use text speak here or in messages,leave it for phones if you must, but use correct grammar elsewhere.

Forum Mod

"People that are diagnosed with dyslexia are'nt marked down for spelling,they generally get longer to take an exam and they have the use of laptops and spell check,well they did when I was at uni last year

The rest of us had to hand write in exams

Ok as I have said I have just taken an exam with the OU I am dyslexic but I had to go through a dx before I was able to get any help through the OU. I was able to use the pc to write my exam answers and use spell check. I was also give and extra hour to do this so they can and do help. I could of also used Dragon 10 as well if I wanted to.

I have use spell check on this one lol"

I think its great that its recognsed more now and that you get the extra help instead of it just being ignored and making people feel like they're stupid,I never use spell check on here,I don't care about the odd spelling mistake or incorrect grammar,if I was under exam conditions then it would be different but this is for fun

» Add a new message to this topic