FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Engagement ring.

Engagement ring.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ugby 123 OP   Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Having just watched the interview with Willy and Kate and now know the sentiments of why Willy wanted his future OH to have his mothers engagment ring ( which I thought was lovely).... but would you think it was unlucky to have a divorcees engagement ring ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ah but it matches her pwetty dwess!

I'm not sure it would be unlucky but it depends how they both feel about it, is the sentiment worth more than the history ?

HRH Kev

I think its lovely xx He must love her very much to give her that xx

it would only matter if either of you were superstitious.

it wouldn't matter to me, but it might to Kate.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Oh yes I think it is a lovely sentiment, I was just wondering would superstition come into it seeing as though it didn't last.

By *ung and readyMan  over a year ago

newcastle under lyme

"Having just watched the interview with Willy and Kate and now know the sentiments of why Willy wanted his future OH to have his mothers engagment ring ( which I thought was lovely).... but would you think it was unlucky to have a divorcees engagement ring ?"

it must be the family way of doing things.

as in something borrowed something blue

...only if you're superstitious....

thought it was a little insensitive that he had to explain that by giving her the ring he wasn't trying to replace Diana...

why can't they let her ghost rest and focus on the future?!

It's a lovely gesture. Next she'll be wearing transluscent skirts, driving a mini , going to shrinks to find out why her hubby needs to screw methuslah behind her back and jumping over mines while kissing the offspring of total strangers.

That job was MADE for me!

newcastle under lyme

"...only if you're superstitious....

thought it was a little insensitive that he had to explain that by giving her the ring he wasn't trying to replace Diana...

why can't they let her ghost rest and focus on the future?!"

I think they are after the peoples vote

I loved Diana's engagement ring, gorgeous wasnt it.

Im not sentimental over jewellery, well thats not entirely true, I love my mums jewellery because she was so proud of it. I wear my mothers wedding and engagement ring. I dont feel that rings can cause bad luck though, in fact i like antique jewellery and obviously the person who owned that has died, but it doesnt bother me in that way.

My favourite rings are my diamond cluster and my mothers emerald and diamond engagement ring - which incidentally she only had about 12 years ago cos my dad couldnt afford to buy her one when they really got engaged and over the years she spent any left over money on us kids and thats why she was so proud of it

newcastle under lyme

"It's a lovely gesture. Next she'll be wearing transluscent skirts, driving a mini , going to shrinks to find out why her hubby needs to screw methuslah behind her back and jumping over mines while kissing the offspring of total strangers.

That job was MADE for me!"

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"...only if you're superstitious....

why can't they let her ghost rest and focus on the future?!"

Ah I must have missed that bit, but yeah I agree.

So I am guessing no one is superstitious enough then.

And we'd always talked about what would happen to her jewellery and she always said that I wasnt to dare bury her with her rings on, she'd waited too long for them to be buried in soil. My mum died of a heart attack 7 years ago so in effect she didnt have her expensive ring for long so I wear it with pride cos she loved it so much

"I loved Diana's engagement ring, gorgeous wasnt it.

Im not sentimental over jewellery, well thats not entirely true, I love my mums jewellery because she was so proud of it. I wear my mothers wedding and engagement ring. I dont feel that rings can cause bad luck though, in fact i like antique jewellery and obviously the person who owned that has died, but it doesnt bother me in that way.

My favourite rings are my diamond cluster and my mothers emerald and diamond engagement ring - which incidentally she only had about 12 years ago cos my dad couldnt afford to buy her one when they really got engaged and over the years she spent any left over money on us kids and thats why she was so proud of it "

Thats a lovely story xx

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I loved Diana's engagement ring, gorgeous wasnt it.

My favourite rings are my diamond cluster and my mothers emerald and diamond engagement ring - which incidentally she only had about 12 years ago cos my dad couldnt afford to buy her one when they really got engaged and over the years she spent any left over money on us kids and thats why she was so proud of it "

That I can understand, and is a lovely story....but by the sounds of it your mum and dad were still married......do you think it would make a difference to wether you wore the ring if they were divorced?

Mmmm yeah you're right, it very well may do. My mum and dad, though they rowed, quite a lot at times, were very very close and married over 50 years, so yes its totally different to a divorced parents.

Hopefully though Diana's ring will signify strength to the new couple, as theres no doubt she was a very strong woman

I don't think it's unlucky. I think it's a lovely gesture.

Besides which a stunning jewell like that shouldn't be locked away in a safe somewhere never to be seen again.

By *im53Man  over a year ago

Boldon

typical tight royal family

giving the poor lass a second hand ring

I was wondering with a jewel that size in it, whether it was a family heirloom, pre Diana?

And therefore had also been used for other engagements, of successful marriages?

"Having just watched the interview with Willy and Kate and now know the sentiments of why Willy wanted his future OH to have his mothers engagment ring ( which I thought was lovely).... but would you think it was unlucky to have a divorcees engagement ring ?"

I was going to say something about that when I added my post in the Royal Engagement thread, and thought it was inappropriate, as it is supposed to be a happy thread etc...

And yes, I share your sentiments - to me, it has bad vibes due to its association with a broken marriage etc...

Just me being superstitious I guess.

It's good that they are into recycling.

Forum Mod

I did'nt like Dianas engagement ring and although I think the sentiment is lovely I would'nt want something from a marriage that made someone so unhappy

I stupidly got engaged for about 2 minutes many years ago and I sold the ring,that relationship never worked out either

"I was wondering with a jewel that size in it, whether it was a family heirloom, pre Diana?

And therefore had also been used for other engagements, of successful marriages?"

nope, she chose it herself.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

im not keen on it as it isnt an emerald

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

And if he'd spent thousands on a new ring, people would be complaining about him splashing out

they call her "second hand rose"

Nope i couldnt do it...now if it was one from the crown jewels...that would be ok

"I was wondering with a jewel that size in it, whether it was a family heirloom, pre Diana?

And therefore had also been used for other engagements, of successful marriages?

nope, she chose it herself."

Then WE paid for it!!!!

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Lovely ring though, cost Charles around £40,000 nearly Thirty years ago....It obviously means a lot to young William to give it to the woman he loves.

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

My first thought was: can't he afford a new ring?

I'm not normally one to think about inanimate objects having 'baggage' - but in this case, I wouldn't have offered it if I were in his position.

Torquay

Then WE paid for it!!!!"

I think you will find that the Duchy of Cornwall makes Charles plenty of profit through normal business channels.....in which case the money could have come from that?

Then WE paid for it!!!!"

We? You mean US down here in England. All the jock money comes from US anyway.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Then WE paid for it!!!!

We? You mean US down here in England. All the jock money comes from US anyway. "

That's not actually true! All our cash goes to put pay the tuition fees for Scottish students at uni!

Then WE paid for it!!!!

We? You mean US down here in England. All the jock money comes from US anyway. "

I dunno...I pay my taxes...and a hefty amount too!

pretty sure I contribute up here...just cause it goes to England before making it's way back up here.

Guess I have to let you guys cream of the interest first eh?

Torquay

Then WE paid for it!!!!

Yeah but be fair Wishy....we send the money over the border then they send us a little bit back for their share of the Royal family.....

By *exyangietgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

edinburgh

Who cares? The whole bunch of this "royal family" crowd and their hangers-on are just a bunch of self-serving, anachronistic parasites.

The French and the Russians in their day understood how to deal with aristocrats.

As for the Windsor lot, give them one of their estates and maybe £1 million each and let them disappear.

Personally, I do not like it, as it is not a red/pink stone, or heart shaped, and I hate claw sets.

And I do not wear yellow gold (I *think* it has a yellow shank).

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

well there not a very good track history for royal marriges lasting is ther ?

"Personally, I do not like it, as it is not a red/pink stone, or heart shaped, and I hate claw sets.

And I do not wear yellow gold (I *think* it has a yellow shank).

"

She only has to wear it until March next year then she gets a nice new one, and a crown to go with it.

"well there not a very good track history for royal marriges lasting is ther ? "

Charles proposed to Diana after just 28 days because he was told to. William has taken 8 years to pop the question. I think this one will last. She clearly adores him.

Torquay

The Crown estates are held in the name of the monarch, including all title deeds to the property assets.....not in the name of the nation, in the name of the monarch.

She also holds all assets of the Duchy of Lancaster in her name.....not in the name of the nation.

The Duchy of Lancaster alone is worth an estimated £8 billion.

So why would we offer her £1 million when legally she holds title to far superior wealth?

By *exyangietgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

edinburgh

"The Crown estates are held in the name of the monarch, including all title deeds to the property assets.....not in the name of the nation, in the name of the monarch.

She also holds all assets of the Duchy of Lancaster in her name.....not in the name of the nation.

So why would we offer her £1 million when legally she holds title to far superior wealth?"

Because her ancestors got it by cheating and thuggery.

Maybe its a little symbolic. Maybe they want Kate to be the new Diana, after all the Royal Family could do with someone beautiful and interesting again in their midst. Theres been a tremendous amount of media coverage in only a few hours too, and we all know that we are spoon fed exactly what the media wants us to believe.

Torquay

"The Crown estates are held in the name of the monarch, including all title deeds to the property assets.....not in the name of the nation, in the name of the monarch.

So why would we offer her £1 million when legally she holds title to far superior wealth?

Because her ancestors got it by cheating and thuggery."

If I were you I would seriously consider taking out a private prosecution.....for your share of the money you feel cheated out of.

Torquay

Maybe, just maybe....he has simply proposed marriage to the girl he loves?

Does happen....

Then WE paid for it!!!!

Yeah but be fair Wishy....we send the money over the border then they send us a little bit back for their share of the Royal family..... "

Then can I suggest that you keep YOUR royal family down there and we'll keep OUR oil up here. Don't hear you moaning about that revenue "flowing" across your border

"Maybe, just maybe....he has simply proposed marriage to the girl he loves?

Does happen.... "

hahahahahahahahaha, stop it. My sides.

Torquay

Then WE paid for it!!!!

Yeah but be fair Wishy....we send the money over the border then they send us a little bit back for their share of the Royal family.....

Then can I suggest that you keep YOUR royal family down there and we'll keep OUR oil up here. Don't hear you moaning about that revenue "flowing" across your border "

You haven't got much oil left to bother with, they reckon it's down to about 18% of reserve left now.....it wouldn't begin to cover the money that Westminster sends you....come back to us when you strike gold in them there hills!

Torquay

Does happen....

hahahahahahahahaha, stop it. My sides."

And you know different?

Or are you allowing your hatred to cloud your judgement?

Does happen....

And you know different?

Or are you allowing your hatred to cloud your judgement?"

I don't hate them, I just don't think I should have to pay for them.

Torquay

Does happen....

And you know different?

I don't hate them, I just don't think I should have to pay for them."

Shame about the oil though.....

When it's all gone we will hold a referendum down in England as to whether or not we fancy breaking away from you lot....no more Westminster hand outs for you lot then though...

Then WE paid for it!!!!

Then can I suggest that you keep YOUR royal family down there and we'll keep OUR oil up here. Don't hear you moaning about that revenue "flowing" across your border

You haven't got much oil left to bother with, they reckon it's down to about 18% of reserve left now.....it wouldn't begin to cover the money that Westminster sends you....come back to us when you strike gold in them there hills!"

lmao, so you've leeched all our oil (I believe parasite is the correct phrase for someone who does that) and now you want our gold?

Hopefully we'll find some the same week you fall into the sea. Erosion's a bastard. lol

Does happen....

And you know different?

When it's all gone we will hold a referendum down in England as to whether or not we fancy breaking away from you lot....no more Westminster hand outs for you lot then though... "

We won't hold our collective Scottish breath for that to happen anytime soon.

I recall we voted to get shot of you lot a few years back, only for good old westminster to move the goalposts.

I wonder why?

I wouldn't want it!

It would have been nice if he'd chosen a ring for Kate and given her the ring on the birth of their first child or something.

That said, money is not a problem he could have commissioned anything. To give her something so special speaks volumes I suppose.

I look at it another way

I never thought about getting my old man to buy Kates engagement ring

Sneeky fucker, clever fucker or tight fucker?

That's why he's future King and I'm a fucking peasant

Lots of men give their fiancees their mother's or grandmother's engagement rings, its a sentimental thing, not a saving on money thing, well thats how I see it anyway.

Torquay

Does happen....

And you know different?

When it's all gone we will hold a referendum down in England as to whether or not we fancy breaking away from you lot....no more Westminster hand outs for you lot then though...

We won't hold our collective Scottish breath for that to happen anytime soon.

I recall we voted to get shot of you lot a few years back, only for good old westminster to move the goalposts.

I wonder why?"

Because at the last minute we discovered another oil field we could drain from you Scots.....

[Removed by poster at 19/11/10 12:34:41]

» Add a new message to this topic