FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do you feel self-conscious when exercising in public?

Do you feel self-conscious when exercising in public?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There was a news item yesterday, about obesity and the cost to the NHS plus the problems it causes.

A lady was on there who had set up the too fat to run website, aimed at getting 1 million overweight women running. She commented that it all started when she did a fun run and some young lad shouted - Oi fatty or something along those lines.

It upset her at the time, but strangely had a positive effect in the end as she started to run to lose weight.

When I started road cycling, I was very conscious of being a larger lady out on a bike. My friends though were very supportive and would come out with me. They had to wait for me, but they wanted to support me when I was starting out or they'd wave and shout support, as they drove past. Thus far, I have not directly heard any negative comments.

Was just curious, is it difficult to exercise in public whatever your size and do you feel conscious of what others think? Do you worry about going to a gym, imagining everyone else there will already be really fit and you won't fit in? I'm always impressed when I see anyone out exercising.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We've had great sex in public before though not sure if anybody was watching

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I don't exercise in public.

Ive tried running a few times but i dont keep it up. Mainly because i hate having to run past gangs of teenagers. So i started running a 5am unfortunately no something i can maintain.

I get emvarrased when i have to stop and walk for a breather. I know this would bother some ppl.

Ive been trying to find someone in my area to go out running with for ages. So if anyones interested? Lol

yes very I have a tread mill so I don't have to run outdoors

I would never run round the streets in fear of nasty comments

"Ive tried running a few times but i dont keep it up. Mainly because i hate having to run past gangs of teenagers. So i started running a 5am unfortunately no something i can maintain.

I get emvarrased when i have to stop and walk for a breather. I know this would bother some ppl.

Ive been trying to find someone in my area to go out running with for ages. So if anyones interested? Lol"

I prefer winter, so I can go for a jog when it is dark, so no-one sees me. In the summer, there is nowhere to hide!

We have a ladies running group near me, all abilities run. They aim to get you to 5k in a certain number of weeks. You might have something like that near you?

"yes very I have a tread mill so I don't have to run outdoors

I would never run round the streets in fear of nasty comments "

It's horrid though that people would do that, as the whole point is, you are trying to get fitter.

Treadmills were great inventions though.

I'm fine in the dojo training with People I know and trust but I hate gyms.

I always feel like I'm being judged by the body builders who stand around posing.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I used to be worried so would go and run in circles round a local park which is very quiet but I soon got bored of that and ventured out and about and do you know what.....no one gave a toss!!

From that I moved on to joining parkrun on my own and have made some great friends there and joined a local running club (am on the committee now no less!).

I thinking the 2 years I have been running I've only had 1 comment made at me which was some idiot leaning out of the car singing 'tree trunk legs run a little bit longer' to the Trevor mints tune. Just laughed and kept on running.

Personally I think if you accept that you are big and might get comments, when or if they do come they are easier to bat off....thats my mindset anyway.

I am lucky as I live in a fairly rural area so don't have lots of groups of people gathered together to run past.

I know of Julie and her too fat to run campaign - I have a couple of her tops and Always get comments when I wear them...supportive ones lol

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Is it worth mentioning that those on the receiving end of nasty comments about their weight when out exercising should be able to brush them aside as even more moronic than usual?

If you are 20 stone and out jogging, then surely you are clearly addressing the issue and any braindead observer who sees fit to yell abuse is missing the point that you are exercising to get fitter.

I absolutely hate running but it is a necessary part of my training for playing hockey. I see a great many vast people out running and yes they are slow and yes they stop from time to time but for goodness sake it is much better they are trying to get fit than sitting in their house eating fast food and watching TV. (Which Lu and I did last night after a 10k!)

If you are too fat, you have a duty to get out there and confuse the braindead fuckwits and if they give you silly comments realise they are the ones with a problem and you are fantastic.

evesham

As Julie's new t shirts say....walking is part of my race plan

Nope 0 fucks give. I'm doing it for me not them.

"As Julie's new t shirts say....walking is part of my race plan "

I like that quote.

"Ive tried running a few times but i dont keep it up. Mainly because i hate having to run past gangs of teenagers. So i started running a 5am unfortunately no something i can maintain.

Ive been trying to find someone in my area to go out running with for ages. So if anyones interested? Lol

I prefer winter, so I can go for a jog when it is dark, so no-one sees me. In the summer, there is nowhere to hide!

We have a ladies running group near me, all abilities run. They aim to get you to 5k in a certain number of weeks. You might have something like that near you?"

I do but they meet when im on myway home from work a couple of miles aqay so just cant make it in time. Always keeping my wye out thohgh and my gym kit at the end of the bed as a reminder. Think i will try again when i get bk from my hols xx

Only when I'm doing star-jumps in the bus queue .....

Yes, always.

I only exercise before dawn or after dark in public, because hearing people make comments about my body upsets me.

It's for this reason that I prefer club sessions or indoor classes rather than being alone.

Hearing 'nice tits' during a 10 mile run isn't great.

"Is it worth mentioning that those on the receiving end of nasty comments about their weight when out exercising should be able to brush them aside as even more moronic than usual?

If you are 20 stone and out jogging, then surely you are clearly addressing the issue and any braindead observer who sees fit to yell abuse is missing the point that you are exercising to get fitter.

I absolutely hate running but it is a necessary part of my training for playing hockey. I see a great many vast people out running and yes they are slow and yes they stop from time to time but for goodness sake it is much better they are trying to get fit than sitting in their house eating fast food and watching TV. (Which Lu and I did last night after a 10k!)

If you are too fat, you have a duty to get out there and confuse the braindead fuckwits and if they give you silly comments realise they are the ones with a problem and you are fantastic. "

where I live its the kids that are the problem

when I first joined slimming world I was a lot bigger than I am now I started running but the local kids would just take the piss, I had a group of them one day following me up the street on bikes shouting stuff at me so I just went home and bought a tread mill

what do you do when it's kids? you can't stand shouting at publuc as an adult that's just not acceptable so you either put up with it or stop doing running in public

"If you are too fat, you have a duty to get out there and confuse the braindead fuckwits and if they give you silly comments realise they are the ones with a problem and you are fantastic. "

I agree. I think the problem is, it knocks your confidence when a comment is made. They won't think twice about it , but the person it was directed at will.

Like you say though - they're best ignored!

"Is it worth mentioning that those on the receiving end of nasty comments about their weight when out exercising should be able to brush them aside as even more moronic than usual?

If you are too fat, you have a duty to get out there and confuse the braindead fuckwits and if they give you silly comments realise they are the ones with a problem and you are fantastic.

when I first joined slimming world I was a lot bigger than I am now I started running but the local kids would just take the piss, I had a group of them one day following me up the street on bikes shouting stuff at me so I just went home and bought a tread mill

what do you do when it's kids? you can't stand shouting at publuc as an adult that's just not acceptable so you either put up with it or stop doing running in public "

I usually shout a large 'fuck off' at kids who make comments. I don't really care if they're adults or not - they understand the words that they're using.

If I'm in a really sarky moon and someone shouts 'nice tits' or something at me, then I go up to them and ask if they want to fuck right now on the pavement. They always say no, so I ask them what the point of them shouting 'compliments' at me was, before running off.

Ive been trying to find someone in my area to go out running with for ages. So if anyones interested? Lol"

Really sorry to hear you feel embarrassed when out exercising - or that anyone does!

For what it's worth - I'm a size 10 and look like I could run a marathon - but I'm only good at short bursts/quick recovery - so on a run I'd have to stop regularly too! If I see a larger person exercising at the gym or out and about my only thought is 'great - go you!' And I'd like to think that most other people would think the same! And if they keep it up and I can see the results I make a point of saying so - as when I lost weight 15 years ago I felt great when people noticed and commented on how much slimmer I was getting!

There's usually a 2015 fit and healthy thread running where we all try to keep each other motivated and swap diet and exercise tips. If there isn't one currently running then anyone can feel free to start one - we'll all soon be on there swapping tips!

I'm from the generation who found great mirth mocking people running in the street by shouting " Marathon-Marathon" as they jogged on by ......

But they changed the name to Snickers and our fun was over....

Obese people shouldn't run, it's bad for them, walking is best to start with. I do a walk and sprint thing, it's more natural than jogging, but the martial arts exercises I would never do in public, because I've seen people doing them and it looks like showing off, front room and garden are for me.

"Obese people shouldn't run, it's bad for them, walking is best to start with. I do a walk and sprint thing, it's more natural than jogging, but the martial arts exercises I would never do in public, because I've seen people doing them and it looks like showing off, front room and garden are for me. "

They make them run in the biggest looser and these people ate supposed to be experts

Firstly, great that your putting in the effort to get fit. It's not easy is it.

I'm a bloke and I feel self conscious exercising in public. If I run it tends to be on the tread mill at the gym.

I cycle a fair bit and am a stereotypical mamil (middle aged man in Lycra) I'm painfully aware that this isn't a good look but normally I'm down the road before anyone can comment.

Tho I've heard my fair share of disparaging remarks

This thread just highlights theres lots of lovely nice supportive ppl on this site.

Feel like getting out tonight now

&thankd peach

I'd actually go running with you, I'm pretty slow tho

I had to give up jogging for health reasons...

My thighs rubbed together and my knickers caught fire

"Obese people shouldn't run, it's bad for them, walking is best to start with. I do a walk and sprint thing, it's more natural than jogging, but the martial arts exercises I would never do in public, because I've seen people doing them and it looks like showing off, front room and garden are for me.

They make them run in the biggest looser and these people ate supposed to be experts "

I've never seen that, the weight can cause damage, especially to the joints in the legs, building up on walking is just as effective. It's vile the way people treat other people at times, especially when they are putting them in danger like that.

"I had to give up jogging for health reasons...

My thighs rubbed together and my knickers caught fire "

Your as daft as me,lol,

Unless that really did happen

I love playing sports outside, like basketball and such. But I refuse to run outside. I have a hard time running for any length of time without stopping to walk and breathing so hard my lungs feel like they will fall out. I get very embarrassed about it and stopped running with my husband. No one has ever said anything to me about it though...it's more about the condescending looks I get.

-Courtney

Bristol

what do you do when it's kids? you can't stand shouting at publuc as an adult that's just not acceptable so you either put up with it or stop doing running in public "

y

You don't shout back, you don't need to. You know they are morons and if they said to you "haha you have 5 legs, freak" would you be hurt or would you realise they are just speaking shite?

The point is that you know what is real and you also know they are not saying it because of anything personal to do with you, they are saying it to look big in front of their other juvenile friends. Why should you, a sentient, thinking adult be remotely worried what their opinion of you is?

evesham

"Obese people shouldn't run, it's bad for them, walking is best to start with. I do a walk and sprint thing, it's more natural than jogging, but the martial arts exercises I would never do in public, because I've seen people doing them and it looks like showing off, front room and garden are for me. "

I do hate it when people try to tell me I shouldn't run. This is the longest I have ever stuck to any kind if exercise yet now you're telling me I shouldn't do it? My Dr and nurse who I see regularly have NEVER told me to stop running because it's bad for me.

Fartlek training is good but any HIIT programme can cause issues if not done right - ask Andrew Marr about that one. He was quite a healthy person yet had a stroke reportedly linked to his HIIT programme.

Surely we should just be celebrating everyone for getting off their ass and doing it, whatever it is, however fit they are.

evesham

"Obese people shouldn't run, it's bad for them, walking is best to start with. I do a walk and sprint thing, it's more natural than jogging, but the martial arts exercises I would never do in public, because I've seen people doing them and it looks like showing off, front room and garden are for me.

They make them run in the biggest looser and these people ate supposed to be experts "

I'd do anything Jessie pavelka told me to

I do hate it when people try to tell me I shouldn't run. This is the longest I have ever stuck to any kind if exercise yet now you're telling me I shouldn't do it? My Dr and nurse who I see regularly have NEVER told me to stop running because it's bad for me.

Fartlek training is good but any HIIT programme can cause issues if not done right - ask Andrew Marr about that one. He was quite a healthy person yet had a stroke reportedly linked to his HIIT programme.

Surely we should just be celebrating everyone for getting off their ass and doing it, whatever it is, however fit they are. "

I'm a qualified personal trainer.

Running is good for you.

If things hurt, see a physio. But until then - keep running.

Your as daft as me,lol,

Unless that really did happen "

I have the singed pubes to prove it lol

what do you do when it's kids? you can't stand shouting at publuc as an adult that's just not acceptable so you either put up with it or stop doing running in public y

You don't shout back, you don't need to. You know they are morons and if they said to you "haha you have 5 legs, freak" would you be hurt or would you realise they are just speaking shite?

The point is that you know what is real and you also know they are not saying it because of anything personal to do with you, they are saying it to look big in front of their other juvenile friends. Why should you, a sentient, thinking adult be remotely worried what their opinion of you is? "

because whether you agree with it or not when your running up the street and have a group of kids following you in bikes shouldn't things like earthquake and fatty and you, peddling at the side of you shouting wobble wobble in your face it hurts and I for one refuse to put myself through that every time I go for a run when I can get on my tread mill and run in private

Surely we should just be celebrating everyone for getting off their ass and doing it, whatever it is, however fit they are. "

I didn't mean to offend you, I've heard from a lot of sources that jogging isn't good for people of a certain weight,because of the extra pressure on the joints, and that starting with walking and building up is the recommended route, if you Doctor and Nurse say you are ok, then so be it, but I thought it was important to pass on, I have great admiration for anyone who works to improve their health. Hope I haven't made you feel crap.

They make them run in the biggest looser and these people ate supposed to be experts

I'd do anything Jessie pavelka told me to "

I don't know her, should I take a look?

Running is high impact, it's hard on the joints and tendons.

Something like cycling or a elliptical machine is gentler but still allows you you get your heart rate up. I don't subscribe to this idea of short bursts of high intensity exercise. Seems obvious that if your not fit then your probably going to blow a gasket.

If you are fit and want to get fitter, going at it like crazy will help.

If your chubby like me and want to lose weight then it's much better to slightly raise your heart rate over a extended period. Walking is good for this, swimming and cycling.

They all work the heart and lungs and are gentle on the legs

Your as daft as me,lol,

Unless that really did happen

I have the singed pubes to prove it lol "

You do realise you're going to get a request for that proof at some point.

Not from me, I'm a nice man.

evesham

Surely we should just be celebrating everyone for getting off their ass and doing it, whatever it is, however fit they are.

I didn't mean to offend you, I've heard from a lot of sources that jogging isn't good for people of a certain weight,because of the extra pressure on the joints, and that starting with walking and building up is the recommended route, if you Doctor and Nurse say you are ok, then so be it, but I thought it was important to pass on, I have great admiration for anyone who works to improve their health. Hope I haven't made you feel crap. "

The opinion of a random person on a swinging site will never make me feel crap lol

Passing in things we hear without any backing can be more of a hindrance than a help.

evesham

I don't know her, should I take a look? "

Lol its a bloke

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

I once got a "hey you fat cow get in your car" when I was cycling to work. I never did it since.

I do go to a gym, but there really are people of all shapes and sizes who go, so I don't feel so bad!

"Running is high impact, it's hard on the joints and tendons.

Something like cycling or a elliptical machine is gentler but still allows you you get your heart rate up. I don't subscribe to this idea of short bursts of high intensity exercise. Seems obvious that if your not fit then your probably going to blow a gasket.

If your chubby like me and want to lose weight then it's much better to slightly raise your heart rate over a extended period. Walking is good for this, swimming and cycling.

They all work the heart and lungs and are gentle on the legs"

I wasn't recommending the walk and sprint to anyone, it works for me, I sprint through forests jumping over logs etc, then walk for a bit, sprint again before I cool down too much, it's fun, but not for everyone.

I don't know her, should I take a look?

Lol its a bloke"

I might still have a look, you never know

I wasn't recommending the walk and sprint to anyone, it works for me, I sprint through forests jumping over logs etc, then walk for a bit, sprint again before I cool down too much, it's fun, but not for everyone. "

Actually it does sound rather fun

"I once got a "hey you fat cow get in your car" when I was cycling to work. I never did it since.

I do go to a gym, but there really are people of all shapes and sizes who go, so I don't feel so bad!"

I like the gym for that reason too, the fitties are probably still judging me but least there not going to call me fatty to my face

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

I don't exercise.

Dreadful idea.

I'd actually go running with you, I'm pretty slow tho"

so am i so thats suits me!!

I'd actually go running with you, I'm pretty slow tho so am i so thats suits me!!"

PM me if you like and we can arrange something

I wasn't recommending the walk and sprint to anyone, it works for me, I sprint through forests jumping over logs etc, then walk for a bit, sprint again before I cool down too much, it's fun, but not for everyone.

Actually it does sound rather fun"

It reminds me of when I was a kid, running away from Dinosaurs, lol

This is a sore point with me. There are plenty of keep fit classes but few get fit classes unless you mix with the gym bunnies

"Yes, always.

I only exercise before dawn or after dark in public, because hearing people make comments about my body upsets me.

It's for this reason that I prefer club sessions or indoor classes rather than being alone.

Hearing 'nice tits' during a 10 mile run isn't great."

Don't understand why you let it bother you?

I've been running for a very long time + yeah got a lot more comments when I was in my 20s. Just used to say back ' that's original' or 'never heard that before' - usually shut them up.

Always teen girls, for some reason.

Bristol

Running is good for you.

If things hurt, see a physio. But until then - keep running."

I won't say this often: What wasp hunter said.

"Yes, always.

I've been running for a very long time + yeah got a lot more comments when I was in my 20s. Just used to say back ' that's original' or 'never heard that before' - usually shut them up.

"

It bothers me because I don't like my body being looked at or commented on. I wear tight lycra to work out in because it's the most practical thing to wear, and people think it means they're entitled to judge my body and comment on it in public.

I don't workout to give people the pleasure of looking at me, I workout for my own health and to become better at the sports I enjoy.

People commenting on my body just has always brought me down. It's something I've always associated with sexual predators since I used to get those kinds of comments when I was about 13 or 14 (and far too often in school uniform).

I've always been very unhappy with my body. Being genderqueer I have alot of dysphoria about my body and the fact it's very overtly feminine. I have large breasts, large hips and a very small waist. That means people thikn that they're entitled to comment on it. The fact is that each comment about my bum or my breasts reminds me how desperately unhappy I am with the way my body looks, and how I can't do anything about it until I've got £8k saved in the bank for surgery.

Running is good for you.

If things hurt, see a physio. But until then - keep running.

I won't say this often: What wasp hunter said."

Running is a great exercise but once you hurt yourself it takes an age to fix, and physios cost loads I know this having spent hundreds on a persistent knee problem.

Start slow build up, do get out, do get sweaty don't be put off by chavvie little bar stewards

Bristol

"I once got a "hey you fat cow get in your car" when I was cycling to work. I never did it since.

I do go to a gym, but there really are people of all shapes and sizes who go, so I don't feel so bad!

I like the gym for that reason too, the fitties are probably still judging me but least there not going to call me fatty to my face"

You are judging them too.

We all judge naturally. It is how we learn to run away from tigers.

The difference is in articulating your judgement to people when there is no need and it is cruel.

If I seen a hugely Obese person running towards me it would not trouble me slightly, if anything I may utter "fair play son" in my mind. Unless they were carrying a knife. Then I would judge them and run away. Probably yelling that there was a person running around with a knife.

We need to judge. But when we realise that our judgement is only serving to make us feel superior at their expense we need to learn to keep quiet and leave people be.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I don't run, but I've taken up walking again and often see all sorts of folk out jogging and admire them...with regards to nasty comments, I was driving my Mam's mobility scooter to my Dad's for storage yesterday and this wee twat on a bike had a go at me so I just said "Whatever, I'm not disabled so I could stop, knock you off your bike and put the boot in, but I'm a nice person and don't want arresting, now fuck off"

I like the gym for that reason too, the fitties are probably still judging me but least there not going to call me fatty to my face

The difference is in articulating your judgement to people when there is no need and it is cruel.

If I seen a hugely Obese person running towards me it would not trouble me slightly, if anything I may utter "fair play son" in my mind. Unless they were carrying a knife. Then I would judge them and run away. Probably yelling that there was a person running around with a knife.

We need to judge. But when we realise that our judgement is only serving to make us feel superior at their expense we need to learn to keep quiet and leave people be. "

Is it because the people who judge others feel insecure themselves, so they feel that by judging someone they are some how feeling less inferior?

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"There was a news item yesterday, about obesity and the cost to the NHS plus the problems it causes.

A lady was on there who had set up the too fat to run website, aimed at getting 1 million overweight women running. She commented that it all started when she did a fun run and some young lad shouted - Oi fatty or something along those lines.

It upset her at the time, but strangely had a positive effect in the end as she started to run to lose weight.

When I started road cycling, I was very conscious of being a larger lady out on a bike. My friends though were very supportive and would come out with me. They had to wait for me, but they wanted to support me when I was starting out or they'd wave and shout support, as they drove past. Thus far, I have not directly heard any negative comments.

Was just curious, is it difficult to exercise in public whatever your size and do you feel conscious of what others think? Do you worry about going to a gym, imagining everyone else there will already be really fit and you won't fit in? I'm always impressed when I see anyone out exercising. "

When I realised I had to do something about my weight I first started just walking. My walk took me past a gym. The doors were open, it wasn't packed and I could see "normal" people.

I went in and the personal trainer who weighed less than my arm had a warm and welcoming smile. I signed up and was given a personal trainer who looked like Tyson Beckford who put me at ease and was encouraging. I was embarrassed when he had to help me up as my core muscles were non existent.

I felt people were staring at me but I didn't care. I was struggling to walk I couldn't continue down that path.

I can't begin to describe the feeling when the owner, other trainers and gym users comment and encourage. The other day a gym bunny said he'd been watching me from I started and had to say what an improvement and we'll done.

30kg lost, diabetes reversed, I'm still morbidly obese but getting there slowly but surely. Able to enjoy long walks up hills and the like with my other half.

I walk to the gym in my kit with confidence. Bottom line I'm working it in the gym for me. The keep fit community is very supportive I've found. I'm still buzzing from the comments from the hottie last week.

He made an old lady very happy!

Lift weights .....Burns more fat then cardio ever could !

"There was a news item yesterday, about obesity and the cost to the NHS plus the problems it causes.

Was just curious, is it difficult to exercise in public whatever your size and do you feel conscious of what others think? Do you worry about going to a gym, imagining everyone else there will already be really fit and you won't fit in? I'm always impressed when I see anyone out exercising.

When I realised I had to do something about my weight I first started just walking. My walk took me past a gym. The doors were open, it wasn't packed and I could see "normal" people.

I went in and the personal trainer who weighed less than my arm had a warm and welcoming smile. I signed up and was given a personal trainer who looked like Tyson Beckford who put me at ease and was encouraging. I was embarrassed when he had to help me up as my core muscles were non existent.

I felt people were staring at me but I didn't care. I was struggling to walk I couldn't continue down that path.

I can't begin to describe the feeling when the owner, other trainers and gym users comment and encourage. The other day a gym bunny said he'd been watching me from I started and had to say what an improvement and we'll done.

30kg lost, diabetes reversed, I'm still morbidly obese but getting there slowly but surely. Able to enjoy long walks up hills and the like with my other half.

I walk to the gym in my kit with confidence. Bottom line I'm working it in the gym for me. The keep fit community is very supportive I've found. I'm still buzzing from the comments from the hottie last week.

He made an old lady very happy! "

That's amazing well done

"Yes, always.

It bothers me because I don't like my body being looked at or commented on. I wear tight lycra to work out in because it's the most practical thing to wear, and people think it means they're entitled to judge my body and comment on it in public.

I don't workout to give people the pleasure of looking at me, I workout for my own health and to become better at the sports I enjoy.

People commenting on my body just has always brought me down. It's something I've always associated with sexual predators since I used to get those kinds of comments when I was about 13 or 14 (and far too often in school uniform).

I've always been very unhappy with my body. Being genderqueer I have alot of dysphoria about my body and the fact it's very overtly feminine. I have large breasts, large hips and a very small waist. That means people thikn that they're entitled to comment on it. The fact is that each comment about my bum or my breasts reminds me how desperately unhappy I am with the way my body looks, and how I can't do anything about it until I've got £8k saved in the bank for surgery."

well it's definitely true that sensitive people suffer a bit in this world. but when you pass someone and they make a comment - take it as a sign of your fertile youth. This won't last forever - one day you will be an invisible older lady. Apparently that hurts.

Your body shape sounds hourglass if I'm right, not sure what you can do about that other than strapping your boobs very tight -surgery sounds extreme.

But I'm curious why, if I read you correctly and you want to be androgynous- you also seem to enjoy sexual activities (as you're on here). if you want to be a being who takes no sexual identity , how does that square with having sex? Jus wunderin.

Anyway, I guess it probably boils down to you having large boobs and you feel that has drawn unwanted attention since you were a teen. soinds like that is the root of your body issues.

Bristol

We need to judge. But when we realise that our judgement is only serving to make us feel superior at their expense we need to learn to keep quiet and leave people be.

Is it because the people who judge others feel insecure themselves, so they feel that by judging someone they are some how feeling less inferior?"

I would think you are totally right.

Was just curious, is it difficult to exercise in public whatever your size and do you feel conscious of what others think? Do you worry about going to a gym, imagining everyone else there will already be really fit and you won't fit in? I'm always impressed when I see anyone out exercising. "

Ok probably gonna piss people off. Not read the thread just op's post.

But seriously people need to stop being so precious and sensitive.

Labelling every little issue, starting groups for people who don't like this or won't do that.

Everyone needs to grow a pair and stop worrying about what others think and get on with their own existence.

Speaking as a guy who has been upto 20 stone before I have had my share of abuse.

I spent over 20 as a competitive (i use the term loosely) triathlete, where mostly the guy's are snake hipped greyhounds with 0% bodyfat and the number of snide comments about my size o have lost count.

Until I blast past them during a race snorting sarcastically as I pass.

Point is, fair play if the woman wants to start a group for people to scared to go out running and anything that can help the epidemic of obesity is a good thing.

But highlighting it is only going to create more overly sensitive attitudes and reinforce people's inability to take any for of criticism these days.

Sorry if this all seems harsh, but will live in a harsh world.

Rule five applies.

For those who don't know

It's

H.T.F.U.

"Yes, always.

I've always been very unhappy with my body. Being genderqueer I have alot of dysphoria about my body and the fact it's very overtly feminine. I have large breasts, large hips and a very small waist. That means people thikn that they're entitled to comment on it. The fact is that each comment about my bum or my breasts reminds me how desperately unhappy I am with the way my body looks, and how I can't do anything about it until I've got £8k saved in the bank for surgery."

Well from a none sexual point of view you look perfectly fine to me.

Women do get a lot of unsolicited comments from random strangers but it's not confined to women.

I find that I tend to attract comments, I'm mild mannered and unintimidating people seem to take this a their que to share their oppinion of me.

You tak about surgery, are you hoping for some kind of reassignment or is it more a shape issue than having the wrong genitals

My running buddy (don't do it anymore) she used to come running with a full face of makeup, body shaping spandex thingy and it was just ridiculous lol

I love showing my body

By *Sin or Not 2SinCouple  over a year ago

A hop skip n a jump

Running is just not for me so I joined a netball team 6 months ago for women of all ages and abilities. 2 nights a week of having a giggle and getting fitter at the same time. Stamina has improved too much to Mr dismay

"

well it's definitely true that sensitive people suffer a bit in this world. but when you pass someone and they make a comment - take it as a sign of your fertile youth. This won't last forever - one day you will be an invisible older lady. Apparently that hurts.

Your body shape sounds hourglass if I'm right, not sure what you can do about that other than strapping your boobs very tight -surgery sounds extreme.

But I'm curious why, if I read you correctly and you want to be androgynous- you also seem to enjoy sexual activities (as you're on here). if you want to be a being who takes no sexual identity , how does that square with having sex? Jus wunderin.

Anyway, I guess it probably boils down to you having large boobs and you feel that has drawn unwanted attention since you were a teen. soinds like that is the root of your body issues.

"

Firstly, your post is quite presumptuous and rather insulting. But I'll try and explain anyway.

I'm not a sensitive person. I'm actually quite emotionless.

When someone makes a comment, I don't see why I should take it as a sign of my 'fertile youth'. When someone says 'nice tits' in the street, they're not saying 'I would like you to bear my children, you remarkable woman' they are saying 'your body is acceptable to me. When people say 'hey fatty' they are saying 'your body is not acceptable to me'. That's because we have been brought up in a society that believes it's ok to judge women as 'acceptable' or 'not acceptable' based on how we look. That is repugnant and shit. We shouldn't do that. Even if they were exclaiming that we look 'fertile' then we're reinforcing the idea that women's main role in society is to bear children. That's not really a nice way to look at women.

My breasts. My breasts. You're right, I strap them down when I go out sometimes. Not when I run, because then I wouldn't be able to run because my chest would be constricted. But I'm saving up for surgery to have them removed because I feel like I should never have been born with them. It's not really extreme to have your body corrected to the way that it should have been when I was born. Nobody says that having a breast enlargement or a tummy tuck is extreme - so why shouldn't I have surgery to help treat an illness?

Because that's what I have - it's an illness. Gender dysphoria is a genuine, recognised illness. It's when the body that you were born with does't match the gender that you identify with. Mine doesn't match. It's a problem for me and it makes me very unhappy. I'd say depression, but t's not really the same as depression - although severe depression can be a side affect of gender dysphoria for many people. That's the reason that transpeople are one of the most at risk groups for suicide.

I identify as 'third' or 'other' gendered. Neither male or female. Some people equate that to androgynous which is simplistic but an ok comparison (that does have limitations). Being third gender doesn't mean that I don't have a sex drive. In fact I enjoy sex very much. Not fitting into strict 'feminine' or 'masculine' categories doesn't mean that you don't have a sexual identify. I have a very, very strong sexual identify that is heavily tied up in my rejection of both masculinity and femininity.

Large boobs and unwanted attention aren't the reason that I have medically diagnosed gender dysphoria. They're just something that reminds me that I have a problem. The root of my dysphoria is the fact that I was born with a body that doesn't match my gender identity. Or possibly that society has always tried to force me into being feminine when I didn't want to be. People on the street commenting on my body make me feel shit, but they're not the reason that I have an illness.

"

Women do get a lot of unsolicited comments from random strangers but it's not confined to women. "

In the town where I live, there have been three rapes in broad daylight in the last six months. In public places. One happened in the park next to the leisure centre at 4pm in the afternoon, six feet away from the path.

When men, who are bigger, stronger and faster than me, make sexual comments about my body I don't just think 'well that's a bit shit of them to put me off' I think 'is this man going to chase me down and rape me?'.

So it can be really quite different being commented on as a woman. I'm not belittling your own experiences, but merely pointing out that even a simple activity like jogging is more dangerous and nervewracking for a woman.

My advice would be to join a local running club most are very friendly and welcoming and actively invite and help newbies, and as running together. Safety in numbers.

"

Women do get a lot of unsolicited comments from random strangers but it's not confined to women.

In the town where I live, there have been three rapes in broad daylight in the last six months. In public places. One happened in the park next to the leisure centre at 4pm in the afternoon, six feet away from the path.

When men, who are bigger, stronger and faster than me, make sexual comments about my body I don't just think 'well that's a bit shit of them to put me off' I think 'is this man going to chase me down and rape me?'.

So it can be really quite different being commented on as a woman. I'm not belittling your own experiences, but merely pointing out that even a simple activity like jogging is more dangerous and nervewracking for a woman."

Well I actually find that quite shocking, it's disgusting that this has happened.

I'm quite aware of how intimidating the world can be, and you are right to be on your guard.

But men are statistically more likely to be violently attacked than women. Although there is probably less likelihood of this being a sexual attack.

I can qualify this myself by the fact I have been the victim of a number of unprevoked attacks.

I'm a little fella as I mentioned in an earlier post unintimidating. So it used to be a regular thing that in a night out dickheads would get d*unk want to fight see me and fancy their chances at knocking me out.

By *earboynottinghamMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Doesn't matter to me, we can't all be beautiful!

"

So it can be really quite different being commented on as a woman. I'm not belittling your own experiences, but merely pointing out that even a simple activity like jogging is more dangerous and nervewracking for a woman."

Not really more dangerous, for violent crimes despite everyone always claiming it's women at risk men make up the vast majority of victims.

While many men will make a comment to a woman they won't get in a fight with them.

what's interesting is your stance has gone from

"If they make a comment I storm up to them and ask them if they want to fuck me right there on the pavement"

To

"If they make a comment I'm scared they'll rape me".

Quite a dramatic turn around

I pretty much ended up so big that i lost mobility. But when i got down to 14 stone i was able to move about more easily, did exercise in public and only once had someone slag me off for being fat, all my kids were there and my oldest told her to fuck off so i could carry on exercising in peace.

I also go swimming in a bikini, nobody cares that i'm fat or says anything.

It's known that exercise helps people lose weight, don't see why people would slag off someone for being overweight while they're actively doing something that will help them be less fat.

I have just started jogging in the last couple of weeks but I do it quite early in the morning before work when nobody's about party because I don't like exercising in front of people but party because I like the peace and quiet

"I pretty much ended up so big that i lost mobility. But when i got down to 14 stone i was able to move about more easily, did exercise in public and only once had someone slag me off for being fat, all my kids were there and my oldest told her to fuck off so i could carry on exercising in peace.

I also go swimming in a bikini, nobody cares that i'm fat or says anything.

It's known that exercise helps people lose weight, don't see why people would slag off someone for being overweight while they're actively doing something that will help them be less fat."

By *ella-donnaWoman  over a year ago

York

"Nope 0 fucks give. I'm doing it for me not them. "

This.

I've had men commenting on my body since I was 14 so any remarks when I'm running or cycling are ignored - just like the builders' wolf whistles and 'smile it might never happen' comments on my resting bitch-face...can't do anything about that any more than I can reduce the size of my boobs but I can improve my health and fitness so why let it get to me?

I'm lucky to live in an area which is pretty much crime-free so I don't worry about violence when out alone, and knowing I'm fitter and healthier than the chavvy teens smoking their roll ups just makes me smile to myself if they make crude comments

"

So it can be really quite different being commented on as a woman. I'm not belittling your own experiences, but merely pointing out that even a simple activity like jogging is more dangerous and nervewracking for a woman.

Not really more dangerous, for violent crimes despite everyone always claiming it's women at risk men make up the vast majority of victims.

While many men will make a comment to a woman they won't get in a fight with them.

what's interesting is your stance has gone from

"If they make a comment I storm up to them and ask them if they want to fuck me right there on the pavement"

To

"If they make a comment I'm scared they'll rape me".

Quite a dramatic turn around"

Not really, I did say it depends on the mood I'm in.

I'm much more likely to call out a large group of guys when in an area covered by CCTV, or abunch of teenage boys for example.

But often these comments come from guys driving cars or vans, or in areas with no CCTV. Or places with poor street lighting.

By *heOwlMan  over a year ago

Altrincham

Generally speaking, I don't like exercising in public, or rather don't like people watching me exercise. However as my main exercise is rowing I don't really have a lot of choice - there arn't that many baths that can fit an 8 metre fine rowinb boat in. (Yes I realise that there are rowing machines, but they are boring and can knacker ones technique. Plus they don't help you ballance on top of a boat thats narrower than the arse sat on it.)

Get plenty of comments, some posative (yay) and some negative. The negative ones used to bother me, but these days I just think 'try staying up right on this thing for 5 minutes and maybe I pay attention to the rubbish you're spouting'.

As for other people exercising, I tend to just think good on you, afterall it takes a fair amount to get out there. (If it wernt for the enjoyment I get from rowing, I'd probably be sat on my bum at home all the time.)

"

Not really, I did say it depends on the mood I'm in.

I'm much more likely to call out a large group of guys when in an area covered by CCTV, or abunch of teenage boys for example.

But often these comments come from guys driving cars or vans, or in areas with no CCTV. Or places with poor street lighting."

i guess it depends what the day is how you feeling where you are and who they are.

If you really are afraid that you will be attacked then you probably aren't going to be confrontational

"

He made an old lady very happy! "

That's great to read. Sounds like you've come a long way already.

I was persuaded to cycle out with the local cycling club recently and was really nervous. They were all lovely. Like they all say to me, we all started somewhere.

"But often these comments come from guys driving cars or vans"

It happens to guys too, I just flip them off or call them out, knowing that if they leave the safety of their vehicle I'll punch their teeth in

My friend who is 60 and on the large side, the same as me, and I go walking every weekday and use the outdoors gym on the village green with drivers going past, you can't get any more public than that! lol we see the same dog walkers every day and they quite often say how much they admire our determination to get fit. Not once seen/heard anyone laugh at two old dears trying their best

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm generally good with exercising in public. I used to cycle everywhere, even if I was knackered, cycling up steep hills, I'd grin and bear it and not care who might by looking. I use a gym with loads of fit students and instructors - plenty to perve over, and people willingly help you out, if they think you could use some advice. I use the personal trainers too and have done for years: they sometimes push me into zones that I'm not so experienced with, but I find it all fun.

"But often these comments come from guys driving cars or vans

It happens to guys too, I just flip them off or call them out, knowing that if they leave the safety of their vehicle I'll punch their teeth in "

As a 5ft tall, skinny, and not very punchy woman I don't have that option. If they left their vehicle they could easily floor me or pick me up and put me in their vehicle.

It happens to guys too, I just flip them off or call them out, knowing that if they leave the safety of their vehicle I'll punch their teeth in

As a 5ft tall, skinny, and not very punchy woman I don't have that option. If they left their vehicle they could easily floor me or pick me up and put me in their vehicle."

Even if you were 6'5" and hard as nails I wouldn't recommend punching some one out

No I don't, but I exercise in a public gym

London

I'd do anything Jessie pavelka told me to "

And Chris Powell

As a 5ft tall, skinny, and not very punchy woman I don't have that option. If they left their vehicle they could easily floor me or pick me up and put me in their vehicle.

Even if you were 6'5" and hard as nails I wouldn't recommend punching some one out "

To the best of my knowledge, if someone gets out of their vehicle and confronts you then you have a legal right to defend yourself - what's the person who got out going to tell the police?

Even if you were 6'5" and hard as nails I wouldn't recommend punching some one out

To the best of my knowledge, if someone gets out of their vehicle and confronts you then you have a legal right to defend yourself - what's the person who got out going to tell the police?"

My point is that I could try and defend myself all I want - but I wouldn't be able to stop them doing anything to me.

To the best of my knowledge, if someone gets out of their vehicle and confronts you then you have a legal right to defend yourself - what's the person who got out going to tell the police?

My point is that I could try and defend myself all I want - but I wouldn't be able to stop them doing anything to me."

Alright fine, then it's probably best you let it go, they're cowards who aren't worth your time anyway.

Its just that in my personal case, cowardice is one of the things that angers me most intensely.

By *onbons_xxMan  over a year ago

Bolton

I exercise outside and tend not to think what others are thinking, which is quite strange as I mostly do in other settings.

I'm not uber fit, but I do it for me, the mental rather than just the physical benefits, and if it's a run I have my music to zone me out of any nonsense that may be shouted, so I plead ignorance to that.

There's a few things I do which are group based activities and there's about 60% or so that are women of all shapes and sizes, and that type of environment is very inclusive and supportive. No one shouts at a big group of people

London

"

I was persuaded to cycle out with the local cycling club recently and was really nervous. They were all lovely. Like they all say to me, we all started somewhere.

"

I have! From hardly being able to walk without feeling faint to vomiting in the street to walking two miles to and from the gym, lifting weights and half hour on the AMT.

Who knew eating less and moving more was a winning formula

"

I have! From hardly being able to walk without feeling faint to vomiting in the street to walking two miles to and from the gym, lifting weights and half hour on the AMT.

Who knew eating less and moving more was a winning formula "

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

I'm out running about 4 times a week and most days you get some 'comedian' shouting something out of their window. Had a group of teenagers try to take the piss as i ran past them and they tried to run alongside and take the piss, so i just increased the pace and all gave up after a couple of hundred meters. I shouted out that they needed to give the fags up!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

Exercise ? cise ? Ex er cise ........

Mmmmmmmmmm nope.

Bristol

My point is that I could try and defend myself all I want - but I wouldn't be able to stop them doing anything to me."

To be fair most of us are in that position. However people do not generally go around attacking and hurting other people. Instances of such are vanishingly rare, however we hear a lot about it and that convinces us that it is all common.

You are in more danger going about your daily life from cars, falling anvils and the like however people don't get scared to go in a car.

It is easy to see the world as a big scary place full of attackers and rapists but really it is nothing of the sort.

» Add a new message to this topic