FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > To Plus Too equals grammar

To Plus Too equals grammar

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *obleton OP   Man  over a year ago

THE STICKS

I'm not normally a grammar nazi, but some of the appalling misuses of the words To and Too have really sarted to grate lately.

So here's how you use them:

To has two functions. First, as a preposition, in which case it always precedes a noun.

I'm going to the store

He went to Italy

This belongs to David

Secondly, to indicates an infinitive when it precedes a verb.

I need to study

We want to help

He's going to eat

Too

Too also has two uses. First, as a synonym for "also":

Can I go too?

He went to France too

I think that's Paul's book too

Secondly, too means excessively when it precedes an adjective or adverb.

I'm too tired

He's walking too quickly

I ate too much

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

... sits back in a comfy chair with a tub of salted popcorn, and waits for the firework display!

Theres bigger things in life to worrie about then spelling and getting things in the right order all the time. Have you got that thing David Beckham has COPD ? THINGS IN THERE PLACE? XX crap at spelling but i like to think my hearts in right place. jo xx

Thanks ToblerONE x

Why haven't you told everyone that Two has only one meaning. It might say two but it's one.

Why of the three 2's did you leave two out? You did to and you did too but you didn't do two; not once.

"Thanks ToblerONE x

Why haven't you told everyone that Two has only one meaning. It might say two but it's one.

Why of the three 2's did you leave two out? You did to and you did too but you didn't do two; not once."

Excellent, lol Granny I luv ya

See, I was right!

Is it OCD you mean in relation to David Beckham.

He doesnt have COPD does he - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, hopefully he doesnt. Im not being picky by the way, I just want to understand what you mean.

In relation to spellings and grammar on the forums, I see lots of mistakes on the forums, my posts included, and whilst I notice that words arent spelt correctly, I wouldnt pull someone up over a misspelt word. A lot of us have been working all day and some, like me, my brain goes off in another direction so I miss words out etc, which completely changes the context of what I wish to write.

I find it irritating though if people are constantly correctly others in relation to spelling. Sometimes it can be misconstrued as trying to put the person down or trying to make oneself appear more intelligent - im not keen on that

i can spell i just can't type very well lol

If anyone wants to read the original quoted above by the OP it can be found on e learn english xx I come to thank you two too. xx Or you too twiced. xx

Im here for a shag really.

Im off for a bath now ..have a nice new meet circa fourish ..... I hope to GOD i don't confuse my grammar I'll never git layed.

"Thanks ToblerONE x

Why of the three 2's did you leave two out? You did to and you did too but you didn't do two; not once.

Excellent, lol Granny I luv ya "

she a real gem that granny i wish she lived ner me. x jo xx

[Removed by poster at 07/11/10 14:22:05]

"I'm not normally a grammar nazi, but some of the appalling misuses of the words To and Too have really sarted to grate lately.

To has two functions. First, as a preposition, in which case it always precedes a noun.

I'm going to the store

He went to Italy

This belongs to David

I need to study

We want to help

He's going to eat

Too

Can I go too?

He went to France too

I'm too tired

He's walking too quickly

I ate too much

"

WOW!!! an intellectual, however, having looked at your profile heading "20% Rogue - 30% Gent - 25% Genius - 20% Clown - 10% "Ingredient X " it is a shame that your numeracy is not quite as good as your grammar.

Sometimes its a typo, sometimes people are dyslexic, sometimes people use text speak and sometimes they honestly dont know the context of the word.

PS, what does 'sarted' mean?

Awwwwwww he's luvverly really AND he knows.. about the math.

He's a bit naughty. He knows people will point it out.

"Sometimes its a typo, sometimes people are dyslexic, sometimes people use text speak and sometimes they honestly dont know the context of the word.

PS, what does 'sarted' mean?"

I think it means to fart silently ..... e. g. I had a sarted on the sly to blame the other two too.

remove the a ..... fucking fingers

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Well done to the OP for doing something to help a few folk understand the difference... even if not every horse at the pond is thirsty.

I am not a well educated man, I failed my 11+ and by the age of 17 was serving my country on active service, I don't have any educational qualifications at all.

I like to think I have enough intelligence to be able to put what I am thinking in writing with sufficient proficiency to allow others to understand the gist of what I am saying.

I make spelling mistakes, omit or include too many commas occasionally, use a word in the wrong context and even get it totally wrong occasionally.

Do I come here for a lesson in English literature or English language, I think not.

What I would say is that anyone who is not happy with how I express myself is perfectly free to ignore our profile and my forum posts and find someone they are happy to converse with

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

And it's not OCD... it's CDO - in alphabetical order, just as it should be!

*twitches*

"I am not a well educated man, I failed my 11+ and by the age of 17 was serving my country on active service, I don't have any educational qualifications at all.

I like to think I have enough intelligence to be able to put what I am thinking in writing with sufficient proficiency to allow others to understand the gist of what I am saying.

I make spelling mistakes, omit or include too many commas occasionally, use a word in the wrong context and even get it totally wrong occasionally.

Do I come here for a lesson in English literature or English language, I think not.

What I would say is that anyone who is not happy with how I express myself is perfectly free to ignore our profile and my forum posts and find someone they are happy to converse with "

Well jed i have to say you wright some of the best posts on here in this forum you say it how it is and whats true to you. jo xx

"And it's not OCD... it's CDO - in alphabetical order, just as it should be!

*twitches*

"

Well i dont know i new it was somthing like that. jo xx

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

*twitches*

Well i dont know i new it was somthing like that. jo xx"

LOL! You were right... I'm just over anal about it!

Your posts are equally great Jo, you're always honest and upfront and thats the main thing isnt it, regardless of whether we use the correct english

"Your posts are equally great Jo, you're always honest and upfront and thats the main thing isnt it, regardless of whether we use the correct english "
well i am what i am crap at times spelling but i dont let it hold me down. Just love reading posts here .. Weird you get the feel of people from there post too. JO XXXXX

Ohhh,,, are we playing countdown today then ?…. Cuz I’d like one in the top… and one up the bottom….. shucks ,,, silly me,,,, that’s not how ya play,,,, sorry, got my games mixed up….

But on the subject of correct grammar,,,,( yawn)… this uber-nerd spelling police type conundrum always struck me as good example why I couldn’t get toooooooo enthusiastic about it the whole subject….

So,,,,Cough cough….. and Ok I admit tooooo cutting and pasting most of the following off wiki

Example A.

"James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher"

Above is an English sentence used to demonstrate lexical ambiguity and the necessity of punctuation, which serves as a substitute for the intonation, stress and pauses found in human speech. In human information processing research, the sentence has been used to show how readers depend on punctuation to give sentences meaning, especially in the context of scanning across lines of text.

Now apparently the phrase can be understood more clearly by adding punctuation and quotation marks: ( Yawn)

Example B.

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

But ya know,,,, who really gives a toss….. ohh back to the game..!!!! anyone for a swift toss ?,,,,, cuz I'll always lend a willing hand..

By *oDownEasyMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

I can spell,but I cant type, so some words like "like" often come out as "liek".I just do it from habit & sometimes forget to pick it up.

Although I wouldn't pick up on anyone's spelling, I do not liek (see, did it there!) text speak in forums or messages,it gets confusing!

And then there's this:

http://i.imgur.com/HL1ZR.jpg

"

WOW!!! an intellectual, however, having looked at your profile heading "20% Rogue - 30% Gent - 25% Genius - 20% Clown - 10% "Ingredient X " it is a shame that your numeracy is not quite as good as your grammar. "

I could be a total pedant and advise the op that, as a connective, the comma is not required before the word 'and'; also, the word 'and' should not be used to start a sentence.

"

WOW!!! an intellectual, however, having looked at your profile heading "20% Rogue - 30% Gent - 25% Genius - 20% Clown - 10% "Ingredient X " it is a shame that your numeracy is not quite as good as your grammar.

I could be a total pedant

"

oooh I luv jewelry, but prefer earrings

"Thanks ToblerONE x

Why of the three 2's did you leave two out? You did to and you did too but you didn't do two; not once."

Lololol. Take a bough Granny. You've got a flare for the Queens English. Grandma Grammar

"

oooh I luv jewelry, but prefer earrings "

Yes dear but not jewellery from garages

"

Yes dear but not jewellery from garages"

? Meaning what, sorry that went straight over, Granny!

im also crap at spelling and dislexic, why the fxxk is that word so hard to spell anyway!!!!!

but deep down like to think im an ok person, if you dont like how i write dont read it

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

"Thanks ToblerONE x

Lololol. Take a bough Granny. You've got a flare for the Queens English. Grandma Grammar "

Bow - a bough is a tree branch and you must mean flair - you're taking the piss aren't you! Sorry - this pedancy is contagious! Z

Bolton

Going back to the OP - in all seriousness, it does grate sometimes when fundamental errors are made - it is usually laziness - sometimes ignorance but I'd not really pull any one up for spelling or grammar on a forum - I saw a doctor last week who actually said pacific insead of specific - took all my willpower not to correct her! Z

Oooo yeah would love to correct a doctor - what a missed opportunity

Bolton

"Oooo yeah would love to correct a doctor - what a missed opportunity "

I know - I think I just stared but didn't say anything! Z

"Thanks ToblerONE x

Lololol. Take a bough Granny. You've got a flare for the Queens English. Grandma Grammar

Bow - a bough is a tree branch and you must mean flair - you're taking the piss aren't you! Sorry - this pedancy is contagious! Z"

We prefer 'Extracting the Michael'.The English language is such a wonderful thing.

I am grammar and spelling perfect;as a rule.

When i see a mistake when i'm writing a message - I leave it in. I'm not here to impress others with my spelling , grammar or punctuation.

If someone wants to correct me - let them. It wont change anything I do and obviously gives them a hard on.

"

? Meaning what, sorry that went straight over, Granny!"

?

one ..... this is for fun

two .... not bovvud - r u?

"Well done to the OP for doing something to help a few folk understand the difference... even if not every horse at the pond is thirsty."

u kn teika haws ta worta beta pensel musbe led.

Nope me neither, but am too thick to get the joke, is all

Messing around with heterographs, homophones and homonyms [queue/cue 'Carry On' asides regarding gay folks ]has made me tyred. So ewe can all pack it in. I'm going too bye a gnu spell chequer to make shore I get my words rite. Weather it will work on this sight...who nose???

Do I get sent to pseuds corner now

[Removed by poster at 07/11/10 23:42:58]

"Messing around with heterographs, homophones and homonyms [queue/cue 'Carry On' asides regarding gay folks ]has made me tyred. So ewe can all pack it in. I'm going too bye a gnu spell chequer to make shore I get my words rite. Weather it will work on this sight...who nose???

Do I get sent to pseuds corner now "

cum wiv mi x

"Messing around with heterographs, homophones and homonyms [queue/cue 'Carry On' asides regarding gay folks ]has made me tyred. So ewe can all pack it in. I'm going too bye a gnu spell chequer to make shore I get my words rite. Weather it will work on this sight...who nose???

Do I get sent to pseuds corner now "

I think you will find its scent lol

READER: fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 % fo the plepoe can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

"READER: fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 % fo the plepoe can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!"

Is that Welsh or Eggy Peggy

Do I get sent to pseuds corner now

I think you will find its scent lol "

Bugger. Your write

"READER: fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 % fo the plepoe can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!"

is this about another swingleton who canee get a meet?

"

? Meaning what, sorry that went straight over, Granny!"

Total .... petrol.

Petrol Garage ...

Total pedant.

Total Pendant

Jewellry .......

Garage Jewellry ....

Whoooooshhhhhhhhhhhh

"

? Meaning what, sorry that went straight over, Granny!

Total .... petrol.

Petrol Garage ...

Total pedant.

Total Pendant

Jewellry .......

Garage Jewellry ....

Whoooooshhhhhhhhhhhh "

Aaahhh, now i gerritt!

Don't have any Total garages round here, thanks Granny!

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

"Oooo yeah would love to correct a doctor - what a missed opportunity "

Oh, they absolutely love it, they don't mind at all. Especially when you tell them that you read something on the internet that contradicts them.

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

*twitches*

"

OMG I was reading this and thinking of you lmao. I was gonna post the exact same thing lol.

*Her*

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"I'm not normally a grammar nazi, but some of the appalling misuses of the words To and Too have really sarted to grate lately.

I'm going to the store

He went to Italy

This belongs to David

I need to study

We want to help

He's going to eat

Too

Can I go too?

He went to France too

I'm too tired

He's walking too quickly

I ate too much

WOW!!! an intellectual, however, having looked at your profile heading "20% Rogue - 30% Gent - 25% Genius - 20% Clown - 10% "Ingredient X " it is a shame that your numeracy is not quite as good as your grammar. "

Well, I have to take issue there, cos we have met tobes and there is definately summat "105%" about him lol!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

if only people who used perfect grammar posted.the forums would lose,some of its most intresting posters.all that should be important,is the content of the post.

we are who we are xx some will spell the best ever and some not ......dont make us bad people make us crap at spelling , lol

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

Too the OP - this post is just to much....it's gone to far...

Pedantry is an ugly trait. It says 'look how learned I am. therefore I consider myself superior and I feel the need to let you know'

also Tra said she wouldn't wanna shag anyone who was that formal..so there

*twitches*

OMG I was reading this and thinking of you lmao. I was gonna post the exact same thing lol.

*Her*"

my OCD has become so bad that I went into the library today and filed all the books under 'B'

ok copd Cdo ,, who care we got there in the end ,, lol x

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

Shouldn't nazi have a capital letter?

"Shouldn't nazi have a capital letter? "

and maybe "really started to grate" and not "really sarted to grate"

Its called a TYPO and yes we all have them lol

If you look less at his typing and more for his tongue you'd see it tucked firmly in his cheek.....

If I can read it and understand the point someone is trying to get over, then write/right/wright/rite on..... delete as you see fit!

Sometimes it's not how they say it that should hold our attention, it's what they have to say that should.

By *obleton OP   Man  over a year ago

THE STICKS

"

Well, I have to take issue there, cos we have met tobes and there is definately summat "105%" about him lol! "

Yep = perfect grammar ....... crap maths

Did you mean "started"

'm not normally a grammar nazi, but some of the appalling misuses of the words To and Too have really sarted to grate lately.

I'm going to the store

He went to Italy

This belongs to David

I need to study

We want to help

He's going to eat

Too

Can I go too?

He went to France too

I'm too tired

He's walking too quickly

I ate too much

"

"If I can read it and understand the point someone is trying to get over, then write/right/wright/rite on..... delete as you see fit!

Sometimes it's not how they say it that should hold our attention, it's what they have to say that should."

I would agree with you Laine, but Jesus, some peoples spelling on here only Jesus could read as I swear they're writing in Aramaic!

"

Did you mean "started"

'm not normally a grammar nazi, but some of the appalling misuses of the words To and Too have really sarted to grate lately.

"

As he said - grammar Nazi not spelling Nazi

Same difference!

"

Did you mean "started"

As he said - grammar Nazi not spelling Nazi "

[Removed by poster at 14/11/10 15:07:26]

Thankfully, I fit into neither catagory.

More importantly, these days OP's are to or is that too,? eager to jump in and make comment on the previous OP's post!

But, sure I've made a forum post already about this.

Bippy

"

As he said - grammar Nazi not spelling Nazi "

"If I can read it and understand the point someone is trying to get over, then write/right/wright/rite on..... delete as you see fit!

Sometimes it's not how they say it that should hold our attention, it's what they have to say that should.

I would agree with you Laine, but Jesus, some peoples spelling on here only Jesus could read as I swear they're writing in Aramaic! "

I love Aramaic it's creamier than Mairy Dilk ....

By *ngieandMrManCouple  over a year ago

hereford

I'm a bit dyslexic and a wouldn't have the confidence to write without a word processor. I wouldn't dare attempt to correct someones spelling or grammar BUT the fact is writing is hard work for people like me and so too is reading. Poor spelling/punctuation makes things even more difficult.

So faced with appalling spelling/grammar we do take the option of not reading it and with the typical standard of writing that appears in our inbox... that's possibly a lot of shags lost.

Never ceases to amaze me, being a Project Engineer/Project Manager I'm receiving emails from doctors, professors Managing Directors etc. and some of them could make our deleted PM's look good!

[Removed by poster at 17/11/10 18:01:27]

» Add a new message to this topic