FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > DVLA again(?)

DVLA again(?)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *umpkin OP   Man  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Just to let people intending to hire vehicles, especially when abroad, that the DVLA is abolishing the paper part of the current licence this summer. This could cause problems with some hire companies that may still insist on seeing a paper licence. It`s a bit complicated to explain here so you`d best check out the DVLA`s website.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *tevelizCouple  over a year ago

northampton

have hired in europe and some places can not believe that we still have a paper part.

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

Keep your paper bit ...... Dimples

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

"Keep your paper bit ...... Dimples"

Dimples with an S

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"have hired in europe and some places can not believe that we still have a paper part."

Hirer's in the US look at me like I'm an idiot whenever I show them the paper part, even though the majority of their websites state you have to show it over there.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I only have paper.

People getting fines for not displaying their now non-existent tax discs is another one to watch out for. You can't transfer the disc with the car (if you still have a disc).

The paper part is going but the points etc are being stored online so with the licence number from your card part and your national insurance number this can be viewed. Hire companies will be fully aware of the changes and will use the automated systems, which is backed up by a phone line should there be internet issues... They'd not risk losing revenue by insisting you produce a piece of paper that you can no longer get!

"I only have paper.

People getting fines for not displaying their now non-existent tax discs is another one to watch out for. You can't transfer the disc with the car (if you still have a disc).

"

u will need to get the card one before june then

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I only have paper.

u will need to get the card one before june then"

No, there is still no compulsion to change from paper unless your circumstances change. My name and address are not changing so I can stick to my paper licence.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There will be a new online tool that lets you input your driver no, national insurance no and post code, from June when it launches. You will then generate a pin that hire companies can use to access your driver history, penalties etc.

The code only lasts for 3 days or so, so possibly need to generate it when you're abroad.

If there's a queue for car pick up, I can't imagine they'll bother to use dvla to log in.

"

No, there is still no compulsion to change from paper unless your circumstances change. My name and address are not changing so I can stick to my paper licence.

"

You'll go card only when your license is renewed.

By *sbiloverWoman  over a year ago

London

"I only have paper.

u will need to get the card one before june then

"

Got a scare a while back when I was told that it was illegal to hold on to the old paper license, which is what I have. Utter tosh! If you have the old school license you don't need to do anything unless you move or get points.

By *ill4cherMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"I only have paper.

... you don't need to do anything unless you move or get points."

Or reach 70 years of age

Good old DVLA, a thoroughly awful organisation! They happily give out your details to the private parking cowboys but are positively obstructive when you ask for help in chasing drivers who have given you false details after an accident. I won't mention how they try and fine people who have notified change of keeper details or SORN declarations which they have lost and then try and then try and fine them when they have complied with the law!

HMRC are just as bad.

Imbeciles the lot of them.

I could train a chimpanze to do the job better.

They have tried to get rid of the paper part before but always withdrawn. I lost my paper bit years ago and could not work out from the application form how to get a replacement so ended up with the plastic card. If you want insurance or hire, the companies insist on the paper counterpart.

"Just to let people intending to hire vehicles, especially when abroad, that the DVLA is abolishing the paper part of the current licence this summer. This could cause problems with some hire companies that may still insist on seeing a paper licence. It`s a bit complicated to explain here so you`d best check out the DVLA`s website."

The other important thing to be aware of is that if you are intending to drive abroad you need to obtain a code from the DVLA. This code relates to any endorsements you carry on your license and is valid for only 72 hours - so if you plan to hire a vehicle after 3 days abroad, you will need to obtain a new code.

"There will be a new online tool that lets you input your driver no, national insurance no and post code, from June when it launches. You will then generate a pin that hire companies can use to access your driver history, penalties etc.

The code only lasts for 3 days or so, so possibly need to generate it when you're abroad.

If there's a queue for car pick up, I can't imagine they'll bother to use dvla to log in. "

The website is already live so I had a nosey...and unfortunately is is working and had my points recorded

» Add a new message to this topic