FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Have you always voted in the General Election?

Have you always voted in the General Election?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I was shocked, when out for dinner the other evening , to discover that one of my friends - who's now in her early 40's has never voted! She felt her vote didn't make any difference.

I've missed some of the local elections, but always vote in the General Election. Have you always voted or do you think it's not worth bothering ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have always voted. We haven't always had the right, people died to give us that right and others across the world are still denied the right to vote.

Apathy ensures we get the government we deserve. It seems it's easier to moan about them than do anything active like drop the card in the postbox or turn up at the polling station.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I was shocked, when out for dinner the other evening , to discover that one of my friends - who's now in her early 40's has never voted! She felt her vote didn't make any difference.

I've missed some of the local elections, but always vote in the General Election. Have you always voted or do you think it's not worth bothering ? "

Always.

General and local.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Yes... since I was old enough. Personally I think it should be compulsory... just have a box for "none of the above".

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Always.

I have voted in elections won by 14 votes, and ones where the incumbant has a 10,000 majority.

I always feel that only voting gives me an entitlement to moan later!

Mr ddc

I voted last general election for the first time, and that was to keep the conservatives out. So i wasn't actually voting a party in, if that makes sense?

I'm going to waste my time voting this year too.

I've always voted. I've never once felt it made any difference.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I voted last general election for the first time, and that was to keep the conservatives out. So i wasn't actually voting a party in, if that makes sense "

Perfect sense, and just as valid imo

To be honest I've not voted more times than I have voted. This time I'm voting for sure.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I have always voted. Cannot understand why people don't.

"I voted last general election for the first time, and that was to keep the conservatives out. So i wasn't actually voting a party in, if that makes sense

Perfect sense, and just as valid imo "

Yeah.

Don't know why but i've never actually wanted to vote for anyone. I don't think all parties are the same, although they have their similarities, i just don't subscribe to a system that runs a whole country when we only need locally based governments.

I always vote as otherwise how can I moan at things not being how I wanted them...

It's a bit like the lottery though... Not much chance of winning but you got to be in it to win it x

By *educedWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

Yep!

I have a responsibility to do so and why would I throw away my right to influence (although I do appreciate that sometimes it's hard to understand how my vote matters) when so many people don't have that right globally.

One of the funniest conversions I've had recently about politics was when a child asked me what the Conservatories party stood for! I had this vision of David Cameron as a double glazing salesman !

"I have always voted. Cannot understand why people don't."

I gathered from my friend that she felt she didn't know enough about it and it made no difference. I'm hoping I've persuaded her that it does!

By *now white1000Woman  over a year ago

York

I always vote. It's my voice and i feel it gives me the right to have a moan if i want to rather than have some greasy politician tell me 'if you'd voted you could have changed things'.

Interesting that the non voters in the last election amounted to more than the number of votes polled by the Tories.

over 14 million people didn't vote in 2010 and the Tories amassed 12.7 million votes with Labour polling 10.2 million....

just think if half of those who didn't vote, we could now be moaning about wanting Labour out instead of wanting the Tories out

"I gathered from my friend that she felt she didn't know enough about it and it made no difference."

Same could be said of those that do vote

I've voted in every council,European,Scottish and Westminster election since I turned 18.

I'd be gutted if I missed out in any of them.

"One of the funniest conversions I've had recently about politics was when a child asked me what the Conservatories party stood for! I had this vision of David Cameron as a double glazing salesman ! "

I think you'd have done well not to swear in front of the nipper.

I have to be honest I have never voted

I was told when I was younger because I'm not English I don't really have a rights to say what happens in this country so never bothered

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple  over a year ago

Manchester Area

Always have, always will. Men and Women died to give us the chance. Why complain you don't like something if you didn't vote to change it

By *heOwlMan  over a year ago

Altrincham

"I was shocked, when out for dinner the other evening , to discover that one of my friends - who's now in her early 40's has never voted! She felt her vote didn't make any difference.

I've missed some of the local elections, but always vote in the General Election. Have you always voted or do you think it's not worth bothering ? "

In spite of the fact that our voting system doesnt really represent peoples views and has far too many 'politicians' who say anything to get a vote and then do whatever the highest bidder requests, I still cast my pointless vote and have done in every election I have been elegable to do so.

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

We have always voted, local and general.

I think they are ALL bought and sold bastards and I truly believe the British voting system is rigged in certain areas.

I want democracy but do not get it.

Always vote. But for as long as I can remember whatever constituency I've been in has been a 'safe' seat.

So I can kind of see where your friend is coming from OP - whoever I vote for will not change the fact that I already know who my MP will be after the election!

But I'm of the school of thought that thinks 'if you don't vote, don't complain' so always make sure I exercise my democratic right!

I did do up until about 3 years ago.

I've always voted and try to keep myself informed, I'm a firm believer that if you don't vote then you're not entitled to any comment or say in the next 5 years of government

"I've always voted and try to keep myself informed, I'm a firm believer that if you don't vote then you're not entitled to any comment or say in the next 5 years of government"

You don't get any say in it if you do vote

The right to vote includes the right not to. I'd far rather hear the views of somebody making an informed choice not to vote than the crap spilled out by people who blindly vote for the same party every time regardless.

By *uessWhosBackAgainMan  over a year ago

London

Never have never will!

I always vote whether it is local or national elections or the election will be decided by the party that has the most discipline and get their voters and supporters out to the polling stations. I hate the SNP but they are very motivated and show that discipline so I will be out voting.

I also don't believe that people that don't vote have the right to compliane when things are bad due t poor government decisions.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I've always voted; I see it as a duty.

"I've always voted and try to keep myself informed, I'm a firm believer that if you don't vote then you're not entitled to any comment or say in the next 5 years of government

You don't get any say in it if you do vote "

Mine is a small voice amongst the many but its still a voice and its infinitely louder than not speaking

By *carineMan  over a year ago

Armthorpe, Doncaster

All this talk of ballots and voting is giving me an election...

By *exybbw_69Couple  over a year ago

Biggleswade

I tend to miss the locals but I definitely vote in the general. I do think it should be compulsory in the general election - however I'm surprised there hasn't yet been an app created to allow people to vote. I'm sure the younger generation would be more inclined if they could do it from their phone

"I tend to miss the locals but I definitely vote in the general. I do think it should be compulsory in the general election - however I'm surprised there hasn't yet been an app created to allow people to vote. I'm sure the younger generation would be more inclined if they could do it from their phone"

I'm sure one day it will go that way. I am not sure why, but I do like to still go along to the polling station and physically vote!

Yep - and I've just voted - my postal vote arrived today and I'm off to return it now!

Voted in every election including local since I was 18. Always will

» Add a new message to this topic