FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > any motor mechanics on here

any motor mechanics on here

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

looking for advise on a problem with my wife's car if anyone can help

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

what make model and year and whats the problem?

By *yber pimpMan  over a year ago

durham area

take the keys off her

its a ford mondeo V reg 2.0

engine keeps cutting out, 1-2 times or 10-20 times a day, it always cuts out twice in a short space of time, restart it and it ticks over great and ravs up fine, could last all day then does it again, have had the problem for mths but was only now and again then

does it do it on idle or when cluch depressed, or when moving along in gear

no simple answer to this, if it were fuel it would take a while to start, It sounds like an electrical item breaking down specially as it seems to be getting worse. Is it worse when its hot or cold or doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold?

"does it do it on idle or when cluch depressed, or when moving along in gear"

when moving in gear, but also when at lights the revs went right down to stalling and then picked up to 1000rpm on its own. so i'm thinking dirt in the fuel system somewhere ?

"no simple answer to this, if it were fuel it would take a while to start, It sounds like an electrical item breaking down specially as it seems to be getting worse. Is it worse when its hot or cold or doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold?

"

it does'n matter if the car is hot or cold

the older fords used to suffer with idle valve problems, a new valve and cleaning out the breathers should help, but get it into a garage and have it pluged in to see what faults are stored in the memory, if it comes up with crank sensor then the fault is prob the idle valve

By *im53Man  over a year ago

Boldon

"the older fords used to suffer with idle valve problems, a new valve and cleaning out the breathers should help, but get it into a garage and have it pluged in to see what faults are stored in the memory, if it comes up with crank sensor then the fault is prob the idle valve"

yeh have to agree the idle valve used to carbon up and cause it to stick cleaning it out could help but some times replacment is nessasery

Seen this problem many times with our fleet of Fords and usually always is the MAP sensor. Quickest way to tell is to have it checked on the diagnostics at any decent garage.

"the older fords used to suffer with idle valve problems, a new valve and cleaning out the breathers should help, but get it into a garage and have it pluged in to see what faults are stored in the memory, if it comes up with crank sensor then the fault is prob the idle valve

yeh have to agree the idle valve used to carbon up and cause it to stick cleaning it out could help but some times replacment is nessasery"

agree cleaning may help, but we used to find that it was never a perminent fix, also make sure they clean all the breathers, but never the throttle body on a ford as they have a coating that will be damaged by the harsh chemicals used

"the older fords used to suffer with idle valve problems, a new valve and cleaning out the breathers should help, but get it into a garage and have it pluged in to see what faults are stored in the memory, if it comes up with crank sensor then the fault is prob the idle valve"

or the air flow meter is playing up, it could be something as simple as a split in an air hose though

think the thing to read into this thread is that while we have all given useful sugestions, and the prob is more than likely to be one of them. the only sure way is to find a garage you trust and get it in there.

"Seen this problem many times with our fleet of Fords and usually always is the MAP sensor. Quickest way to tell is to have it checked on the diagnostics at any decent garage."

might be wrong but i think the petrol mondeos of that year dont have map sensors

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

may also be a problem with your fuel pump, I had a mondeo years ago that had a similar problem it turned out to be a perished diaphragm. It cost pennies to get a new one and was easy to fit.

"may also be a problem with your fuel pump, I had a mondeo years ago that had a similar problem it turned out to be a perished diaphragm. It cost pennies to get a new one and was easy to fit."

no a perished diaphragm is never good

sorry couldnt resist

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Badge on front and rear is the problem its a ford

seriously take it to independent garage with a scanner and getted it checked properly you could always try new set of plugs hope you fix it soon and cheaply

Stick your legs through the bottom of the car and run like fuck.

Next Week; How to attach pedals

i need a local mechanic too...lol...

i know what the prob is, clutch pedal spring broke, have got the part but dont have a clue how to fit it...

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"i need a local mechanic too...lol...

i know what the prob is, clutch pedal spring broke, have got the part but dont have a clue how to fit it..."

get chatting to your local clasic or custom bike/car nuts they will know who are good in your area

[Removed by poster at 15/08/10 13:02:33]

Do you general use the same brand of fuel? If so change it & see if problem still exists

Yes. Or change your trainers if using the running method. Try those new exercisey ones from Sketchers and get good legs while you're at it.

just sorted car, nothing to do with spring, needed more brake fluid in car...lol...

women and cars...doh...lol...

Some ....... SOME women and cars.

"Some ....... SOME women and cars.

"

Yes Granny! Garages do not count I suppose!

I had the same problem with an old ford and it ended up being problems with the idle valve and air flow meter.

Mr is the mechanic of the house though so that's as much as I know

my mate has this problem on his focus,he was told by a mechanic its the electrical sensor on the gear box.his car cuts out for no apparant reason once or more times a day.it will cost £25/30 pound to replace it.

hope this helps

"Yes. Or change your trainers if using the running method. Try those new exercisey ones from Sketchers and get good legs while you're at it. "

Gran u crack me up!

its the fuel pump is on its way out of there is as you say dirt in the fuel lines

» Add a new message to this topic