FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > MOT

MOT

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Have my car in for its MOT tomorrow so have been looking online for what is tested etc

is it an issue if sometimes my car doesnt start easily???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

At one point it didn't actually have to start but they do emissions tests these days. Its a long time since i went for one but i think you can get a full list in line.

evesham

hope tomorrow is a good starting day then loltonly happens occasionally

might have something to do with this funny little orange light thats been on for ages

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"hope tomorrow is a good starting day then loltonly happens occasionally

might have something to do with this funny little orange light thats been on for ages "

The orange light won't make it fail the MOT. What i would do is give it a bit of a run before dropping it out as it will warm the engine up. (might make it easier to start)

As long as it starts though that part should be ok.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Good luck!

sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but if a car isnt starting well it could be a problem that could also make if fail the emissions test, best advise is take it for a long drive on the motorway, atleast 10 mins, before the mot, this heats up part of the exhaust that helps with emisions and burns off any nastys, other than that, get 2 quotes if it fails

As long as it starts at time of test

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"might have something to do with this funny little orange light thats been on for ages "

That's your indicator...

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

"might have something to do with this funny little orange light thats been on for ages

That's your indicator... "

thought they were green??

evesham

"might have something to do with this funny little orange light thats been on for ages

That's your indicator... "

no - this one has a prety icture of an engine in it

"thought they were green?? "

Green indicator lights will definitely fail MOT.

evesham

"sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but if a car isnt starting well it could be a problem that could also make if fail the emissions test, best advise is take it for a long drive on the motorway, atleast 10 mins, before the mot, this heats up part of the exhaust that helps with emisions and burns off any nastys, other than that, get 2 quotes if it fails"

i know something is wrong with it - just dont know what and cant afford to get it fixed yet

all i want is it to pass the MOT without the bank of dad helping too much lol

Blackpool

"thought they were green??

Green indicator lights will definitely fail MOT."

correct monsieur,...was thinking of lights on the old dashyborardy

The orange light will be the engine management light ie the brain of the car.

Could be a number of things, oxygen sensor, engine coolant sensor, oil temp sensor, crank sensor.......

evesham

"The orange light will be the engine management light ie the brain of the car.

Could be a number of things, oxygen sensor, engine coolant sensor, oil temp sensor, crank sensor.......

"

they sound expensive

"

Is this an attempt at showing off masquerading as reassurance, or the other way round?

Blackpool

you can ask the garage to do a diagnostic test whilst you are there...they plug a device in to the ecu and it picks up why the eninge management light is on....

if its been not starting well its prob something silly like lack of servicing, ie needed new spark plugs eons ago etc, that has caused other systems to find a fault, so if it fails get them to check the simple things first, however if its been going on for some time the damage may be expensive

The E-ninge.

It's an electronic Japanese fighting doll. All the rage this christmas apparently.

What make car is it if you don't mind me asking?

"

yep could be a million and one things the bad starting could just be a dirty air filter though

evesham

"What make car is it if you don't mind me asking? "

Seat Leon 02 reg

had the temp sensor changed a few years ago cos it wasn't putting the right mix of fuel in etc - seems similar to that as it mainly happens after i have driven it, stoped for a short time then start it again

If the car is chucking its most likely an ignition coil, If its acting up when cold its most likely a temperature sensor.

Neither problem should cost too much to repair.

I love it when vehicles are self diagnosed! The light is the EM light honey but you could go on all day long with assumptions. The garage you take it to should (if they know their stuff) recommend they diagnose the reason for the light being on before they run the test. Simply cos they have to rev the engine to 2000rpm for the emissions test and they won't want to do that if there is a fault & it could go bang lol

So...don't pay them more than half hour labour for this (standard) and once they get a code from it they'll look it up on their computer & put it as an adivse on your MOT test if it's something that doesn't affect the revs.

Hope that helps, just a point of view from a girl thats been in the motor industry for 18 years lol x

As long as your car starts and is able to drive into the test bay and stay running when needed throughout the test then it won't be a problem. Taking it long runs along the motorway etc won't make the slightest bit of difference apart from using up fuel as the emissions test is done at working tempreture anyway and is checked by a probe in the dipstick tube.

What is tested is the MINIMUM items required under for a vehicle to be deemed roadworthy.Lights/ brakes/ steering / suspention / emission / and body structure. just because a vehicle passes an MOt doesnt mean its in great condition or well serviced maintained it just means at the time of examination it was safe for road use.

As for your wee light problem this is indicating a fault in the engine management system which could be anything from a sensor to faulty fuel pump. Only way of finding out is to have it put on the diagnostics and the fault codes read.

Be aware of the cost of this as it can vary greatly so ask for quotes 1st.

Us motor geeks are all coming out of the woodwork lol x

Over here our car testing is far more stringent, straight fail if any engine management light/ airbag or abs lights are on.

Blimey!

Money making racket

they sound expensive "

Dunna worry too much about the engine management light lol if its sometin like it is on my van a faulty air sensor it will still pass

Mines been on for 2 years nearly lol

and passed

A bit of black sticky tape cures the light problem lol xx

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Want to know how strict the test is nowadays?

My sons car failed because the hazard warning flashers blinked at a different rate when the engine was running, to when it was off!

And my motorcyle last year failed because it was running rough, it kept cutting from 4 cylinders to 3 and back again when running. That's a fail- because it may cut out while riding! I guess your car could fall into this category.

my car was mot'd 3 wks ago and the tester said the car was fine but could have failed the mot becauce i had an air freshner dangling from my rear view mirror and it obstructs the view

hubby says a SEAT with engine managment light on normally equates to a faulty EGR valve, which might fail on emissions. But hope it passed it's MOT

By *uton_coupleCouple  over a year ago

luton

the dreaded MOT , i remember as a small boy my dad carved someone up in his old banger and they shouted out "that fecking thing will be off the road next week "

poor dad had a face like a wet weekend cos the ten year test was starting up , and he knew we would all be walking from A to B

when i started to own my own cars as a young man i remember one failed a BENT MOT !

they said the only thing holding the rear subframe on was the brake pipes , and hand brake cable

i never took it over 50 mph after that unless i was in a hurry !

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

lmao @ failing a bent MOT

"my car was mot'd 3 wks ago and the tester said the car was fine but could have failed the mot becauce i had an air freshner dangling from my rear view mirror and it obstructs the view "

Yep!

My Husband takes them off when he's MOTing cars.

evesham

how spooky, was just about to post saying i hadnt heard from them etc when they rang and its passed

dont think my car has ever passed wthout needing work but i ahve asways gone to kwikfit or nationwide before - this guy is a little independant, will stick with him from now on

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"how spooky, was just about to post saying i hadnt heard from them etc when they rang and its passed

dont think my car has ever passed wthout needing work but i ahve asways gone to kwikfit or nationwide before - this guy is a little independant, will stick with him from now on "

play yer cards right and you could pass next year too.

Excellent news!

"how spooky, was just about to post saying i hadnt heard from them etc when they rang and its passed

dont think my car has ever passed wthout needing work but i ahve asways gone to kwikfit or nationwide before - this guy is a little independant, will stick with him from now on "

Always avoid Kwik Quid as they're robbing bastards.

IMO the best customer service you will ever get is from the wee independent guy in you local area and this is said from someone who worked in a franchised dealership for 18 years.

The dealership i worked in, the labour rate was £125ph and that was 2 years ago when i left

By *ertcamembertMan  over a year ago

Reading area

Avoid chain MOT & fastfit garages like the proverbial plague! They all have unwritten rules about making maximum profit on every vehicle that comes through their doors.Hopefully now you have found your independant MOT garage you wont go far wrong.

evesham

ooooohhhhhh and.....my remote central locking fob hasnt worked for ages since i ried changing the battery - thought i was going to need a new one at about £150

my dad looked at it today, turned the battery over and hey presto - it works

i am sure i tried it both ways

engine management faults are usually caused by e.g.r valve or o2 sensor ...they usually fail because peopel use cheap fuel (petrol) from super markets ..back in the days when lead was banned from petrol the fuel companies came up with ways to make the fuel burn hotter which lead helped ..unfortunately teh additive was rather expensive so main fuel companies are dearer .. super market fuels refused to put the additive in to keep costs down but created engine carbon problems in egr valve and 02 sensor .. cure use main dealer fuels ..shit i bored myself there sorry

Blackpool

friday the 13th....no wookin furries... MOT...pissed it....see....have the faith

By *im53Man  over a year ago

Boldon

"engine management faults are usually caused by e.g.r valve or o2 sensor ...they usually fail because peopel use cheap fuel (petrol) from super markets ..back in the days when lead was banned from petrol the fuel companies came up with ways to make the fuel burn hotter which lead helped ..unfortunately teh additive was rather expensive so main fuel companies are dearer .. super market fuels refused to put the additive in to keep costs down but created engine carbon problems in egr valve and 02 sensor .. cure use main dealer fuels ..shit i bored myself there sorry "

what a lot of **** sorry rubish

fuel from the main supermarkets

is the same as all the other garages,

we have a fuel depo near me and you see all sorts of tankers in there filling up shell esso morrisons asda all from the same storage tanks,

its just the profit from it that differs

and the lead was an anti-knock agent to stop pre-ignition ie pinking. so that the engine ran smoother with higher compretion ratios that equated to more power.

"

indicators

"engine management faults are usually caused by e.g.r valve or o2 sensor ...they usually fail because peopel use cheap fuel (petrol) from super markets ..back in the days when lead was banned from petrol the fuel companies came up with ways to make the fuel burn hotter which lead helped ..unfortunately teh additive was rather expensive so main fuel companies are dearer .. super market fuels refused to put the additive in to keep costs down but created engine carbon problems in egr valve and 02 sensor .. cure use main dealer fuels ..shit i bored myself there sorry

we have a fuel depo near me and you see all sorts of tankers in there filling up shell esso morrisons asda all from the same storage tanks,

and the lead was an anti-knock agent to stop pre-ignition ie pinking. so that the engine ran smoother with higher compretion ratios that equated to more power. "

I do prefer to stick to one garage for petrol as i used a garage where they run the petrol through sand, my car was not a happy bunny at all. On the other hand though, if im low and a supermarket is near by, thats where i will go.

Had a work colleague use a reputable supermarkets garage, cost him £1000 for the damage as they had some dodgy stuff in their tanks, meant he couldnt go on holiday as his car wouldnt go at all so he wont use any supermarket now at all

By *ick and tockCouple  over a year ago

wigan

just take it to a garage and put it on a code reader its the only way of really telling whats up with it . it may be one of them faults that people had said ..... and to the person who put that about petrol u right .. i do fix very high performance jap cars and if they use a lower grade of petrol in some cars they do not run right as the ecu is set to a higher octane of petrol ...

thank you for that jim.. been in trade for 30 years run a garge and am an mot inspector .. but we carried out an experiment involving 40 cars over a space of time .. cars who fueled up mainly at supermarkets visited the garge more times for fuel related faults than main dealers .. yes your right the lead was there to stop pinking .. which is caused by incorrect mix causing detonation of fuel rather than expansion of ignited mix ...its funny how endless presss relaeses have been made about tescos and asdas fuel causing o2 sensor failures can even paste link to said articles

"engine management faults are usually caused by e.g.r valve or o2 sensor ...they usually fail because peopel use cheap fuel (petrol) from super markets ..back in the days when lead was banned from petrol the fuel companies came up with ways to make the fuel burn hotter which lead helped ..unfortunately teh additive was rather expensive so main fuel companies are dearer .. super market fuels refused to put the additive in to keep costs down but created engine carbon problems in egr valve and 02 sensor .. cure use main dealer fuels ..shit i bored myself there sorry

and the lead was an anti-knock agent to stop pre-ignition ie pinking. so that the engine ran smoother with higher compretion ratios that equated to more power.

I do prefer to stick to one garage for petrol as i used a garage where they run the petrol through sand, my car was not a happy bunny at all. On the other hand though, if im low and a supermarket is near by, thats where i will go.

Had a work colleague use a reputable supermarkets garage, cost him £1000 for the damage as they had some dodgy stuff in their tanks, meant he couldnt go on holiday as his car wouldnt go at all so he wont use any supermarket now at all "

I think you have that the wrong way round. Supermarkets tend to use standard 96 octaine fuel with only the standard detergents in that all fuel stations do. Its the likes of Shell, BP who use extra additives claiming to get more mpg.

correct and its the extra additives which makes adifference to the fuel mix ..cleaner burn-less carbon build up -les unburnt fuel picked up by o2 sensor

any way who cares keeps my garage going lol

and the lead was an anti-knock agent to stop pre-ignition ie pinking. so that the engine ran smoother with higher compretion ratios that equated to more power. "

Im afraid it is true that supermarket fuel is not as good.

I used to work in the car trade, and was an mot tester and an engine management specialist. I now work in the car racing industry where fuel types and grades are a fundamental part of my job, im in endurance racing and we often alter the type of fuel depending what we need from the car, bear in mind we dont use "normal petrol" sometimes staying out of the pits is more important than speed.

We have analised most forecourt fuel to se if we can use it to save money when testing, as the fuels we use can cost upto £5 a liter and at 120 liters an hour a few pounds a liter is a big saving.

And although we found all the forecourt fuels unsuitable i learnt a grate deal.

I now only ever use shell regular unleaded in my road car, believe it or not i get 50 miles more from a tank with this fuel than anyother, so while it may not be the cheapest in mpg terms it is.

". Taking it long runs along the motorway etc won't make the slightest bit of difference apart from using up fuel as the emissions test is done at working tempreture anyway and is checked by a probe in the dipstick tube.

"

While this is true, all that is checking is the oil temp, the important part is in the exhaut, on some older cars this part can be along way from the engine.

If the car is used for mainly short runs the catalist doesnt get hot enough to self clean, so you get build up of contaminants on it, a long run can, not always, get it hot enough to self clean.

You can tell when this is happening by a strong eggy smell.

» Add a new message to this topic