FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How far does the stupidity of PC'ness have to go?

How far does the stupidity of PC'ness have to go?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Tesco's have removed a sign referring to "Boy's Toys" followoing complaint from a 7 year old girl.

Just buy the fecking toy if you want it.

What next, "Menswear"** signs removed from all Primark, Matalan, Marks & Spencers, Next etc.

** and similar for other genders.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"

Tesco's have removed a sign referring to "Boy's Toys" followoing complaint from a 7 year old girl.

Just buy the fecking toy if you want it.

What next, "Menswear"** signs removed from all Primark, Matalan, Marks & Spencers, Next etc.

** and similar for other genders.

"

And this surprises you??

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Now I can imagine a 70yo girl getting upset about the toy boy's sign coming down.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Doesn't stop men buying women's wear

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"Doesn't stop men buying women's wear "

I have always been offended by word "menswear".

The offensive presumption that the whole male gender have a procalvity to utter expletives cannot be covered up simply by omitting a space between the "n" and the "s".

By *razedcatMan  over a year ago

London / Herts

I get it. I imagine that children, being children, can likely be teased or otherwise excluded for playing with toys that aren't traditionally associated with their gender.

It's not that big of a deal, just calling toys "toys". Some political correctness really doesn't introduce much in the way of inconvenience.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

What next, "Menswear"** signs removed from all Primark, Matalan, Marks ...

"

You may jest, but last week I took Mrs ddc lingerie shopping. While she went into the changing rooms, I had to stand outside holding the matching thongs, since apparently you're not allowed to try those on. I also had to hold her handbag, coat and pink scarf.

Unbeknownst to me, a quiet and patient queue of ladies built up behind me, all assuming that I was the start of the queue, waiting to try on my size 10 thongs. Not one of them batted an eyelid at the thought

#EnlightenedTimes?

Mr ddc

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

If you don't like it don't shop at Tesco.

"

"

Is this true? or did Tesco never have a sign and someone made it up? cos no aisle in my local store had just male orientated toys....

cant say i have noticed such signs mind if am honest i dont notice a lot of things while shopping i have to focus on whatever it is i am shopping for or my mind wanders

By *nne CallanWoman  over a year ago

Nothing to see here. Please move along.

When my daughter was 15 she was quite gender neutral with her clothing choices. We were in new look seeing if they had anything that she was happy in. Right in t he middle of menswear was a beautiful re d dress. Amazing ly it was her size. It was the first feminine item she willingly wore but even to this day it is referred to as her mans dress. My point is, gender is more fluid than society realises. We all have masculine and feminine days. boys toys or girl's toys, does it matter as long as the item is well made and age appropriate?

I think its far more annoying when supermarkets have mother and baby parking spots. Do fathers never take their kids shopping? A local supermarket had those up but removed them after complaints and replaced them...with a pic of somebody in a skirt and a child

"I get it. I imagine that children, being children, can likely be teased or otherwise excluded for playing with toys that aren't traditionally associated with their gender.

It's not that big of a deal, just calling toys "toys". Some political correctness really doesn't introduce much in the way of inconvenience."

But doesn't stop it being pointless and petty?

Next thing you know females will be able to eat Yorkies .......

What what happened was... a Mum told her little girl that she could like any toy she wanted. That there was no such thing as girls and boys toys. That girls could like comic books too if they wanted. (Awesome Mum!)

Then they went to Tesco and the little girl saw a sign advertising that the alarm clocks with comic book characters were 'for boys'. And she was upset because her Mum had explained to her very carefully that they aren't just for boys. And the little girl was upset because this big supermarket just told her that she liked boys things - how do you explain that to a seven year old?

So they tweeted a picture and it went viral. And then Tesco went "ah shit, that's not so good" and took it down.

Bravo for the power of social media!

"

You may jest, but last week I took Mrs ddc lingerie shopping. While she went into the changing rooms, I had to stand outside holding the matching thongs, since apparently you're not allowed to try those on. I also had to hold her handbag, coat and pink scarf.

Unbeknownst to me, a quiet and patient queue of ladies built up behind me, all assuming that I was the start of the queue, waiting to try on my size 10 thongs. Not one of them batted an eyelid at the thought

#EnlightenedTimes?

Mr ddc"

Love that.

"

#EnlightenedTimes?

Mr ddc"

haha this made me smile - for two reasons - one the point you were making and the second being you actually went into a changing room (b&q pics)

"I think its far more annoying when supermarkets have mother and baby parking spots. Do fathers never take their kids shopping? A local supermarket had those up but removed them after complaints and replaced them...with a pic of somebody in a skirt and a child "

think they are parent/child now

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

My local supermarket still has labelled sections for magazines meaning that the music and sci-fi ones I regularly buy are in the "mens's lifestyle" section. This also contains most of the computing, satirical and hobbyist publications (apart from knitting; that's still kept in the women section). It's casual everyday sexism and does actually piss me off. Or I could keep my mouth shut instead of complaining and buy the celebrity gossip, baking or psychic exploration ones aimed at my gender.

"I have always been offended by word "menswear".

The offensive presumption that the whole male gender have a procalvity to utter expletives cannot be covered up simply by omitting a space between the "n" and the "s". "

so how should it work ? Department stores having a 'trousers' and a 'jumpers/shoes section,where both genders are lumped together ? I think you can either have an entire world that offers no gender aimed categorisation to ensure people looking to be offended are happy, or, a basic simple grouping of items that make it simple to find what you're looking for. Can't have both . Maybe google Steve Hughes 'get offended' on you tube. Never a truer statement made

"My local supermarket still has labelled sections for magazines meaning that the music and sci-fi ones I regularly buy are in the "mens's lifestyle" section. This also contains most of the computing, satirical and hobbyist publications (apart from knitting; that's still kept in the women section). It's casual everyday sexism and does actually piss me off. Or I could keep my mouth shut instead of complaining and buy the celebrity gossip, baking or psychic exploration ones aimed at my gender."

casual sexism simply serves to reinforce lazy gender stereotypes. And it is rife in publishing as well as how shops market publications

I once accidentally brought a copy of a magazine called men's running that had an aarticle about pervubg women's arses. There was also briefly a sister publication that included tips on how to look good while running

And back on topic I fail to see anything stupid about this story. This toy should have been marketed as gender neutral. It now ia being marketed as gender neutral. How is that a bad thing? And why is it stupid?

"And back on topic I fail to see anything stupid about this story. This toy should have been marketed as gender neutral. It now ia being marketed as gender neutral. How is that a bad thing? And why is it stupid?"

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

I know a few ladies who wouldn't mind getting hold of the redundant signage

"What what happened was... a Mum told her little girl that she could like any toy she wanted. That there was no such thing as girls and boys toys. That girls could like comic books too if they wanted. (Awesome Mum!)

Then they went to Tesco and the little girl saw a sign advertising that the alarm clocks with comic book characters were 'for boys'. And she was upset because her Mum had explained to her very carefully that they aren't just for boys. And the little girl was upset because this big supermarket just told her that she liked boys things - how do you explain that to a seven year old?

So they tweeted a picture and it went viral. And then Tesco went "ah shit, that's not so good" and took it down.

Bravo for the power of social media!"

Derbyshire

"...

Ahh, call me a cynic, but now I see: sounds like a cunning bit of 'implanting a story for the free advertising'

Every Lidl Helps!

Mr ddc

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"Next thing you know females will be able to eat Yorkies ....... "

They can now as Yorkies have shrunk since they were first introduced.

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"What what happened was... a Mum told her little girl that she could like any toy she wanted. That there was no such thing as girls and boys toys. That girls could like comic books too if they wanted. (Awesome Mum!)

Seems to me that the mum in question was at fault for not preparing her child for the real world.

She did not explain to her little girl that in the real world articles are labelled according to the expectations of the mass of customers.

Such customers buy things that are appreciated by the gender of the labelling.

She should have then explained that more enlightened and adventurous people do not purchase according to labels but choose the items they prefer rather than items that others think they should like.

"

Seems to me that the mum in question was at fault for not preparing her child for the real world.

She did not explain to her little girl that in the real world articles are labelled according to the expectations of the mass of customers.

She should have then explained that more enlightened and adventurous people do not purchase according to labels but choose the items they prefer rather than items that others think they should like.

"

Do you actually think that a seven year old can comprehend those things properly?

Most adults can't comprehend those things.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"And back on topic I fail to see anything stupid about this story. This toy should have been marketed as gender neutral. It now ia being marketed as gender neutral. How is that a bad thing? And why is it stupid?"

Agreed.

I once argued with a friend who could see no harm in all the important steam engines in Thomas the Tank Engine having boys names and all the meek little carriages that got pulled around by them having girls names. Gender stereotyping starts young and is implicit in literature, the media and life in general. Challenging it isn't petty.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Bravo for the power of social media!

"

Or possibly her dad could have. Maybe her mum is the kind of woman who wants her daughter to speak up about things instead if just accepting them. Or maybe her mum didn't realise it would go that far.......

I think in the grand scheme of things there are more important things to think about in the world

"I think in the grand scheme of things there are more important things to think about in the world "

So you think that the stereotyping and resultant systematic oppression that affects 51% of this country isn't important?

Interesting.

Don't flatter yourself. . 51% of people don't feel affected by it . Just the ones that have lost sight of the issue. If you're so concerned by retail signs . . How about working at the ground level. . Contribute to a positive movement that empowers sections of our society that feels oppressed. There are many doing great things i'm sure. Taking pot shots at general terms used to sell things is a waste of your energies . I'm all for people fighting oppression . . But if they are to be taken seriously, a considered approach is surely the way forward rather the angle of ' oh i'm offended by . . Etc'

"Don't flatter yourself. . 51% of people don't feel affected by it . Just the ones that have lost sight of the issue. If you're so concerned by retail signs . . How about working at the ground level. . Contribute to a positive movement that empowers sections of our society that feels oppressed. There are many doing great things i'm sure. Taking pot shots at general terms used to sell things is a waste of your energies . I'm all for people fighting oppression . . But if they are to be taken seriously, a considered approach is surely the way forward rather the angle of ' oh i'm offended by . . Etc' "

We are contributing to that society. We're trying to make it so that little girls don't feel forced to do 'girl job' and like 'girl things' when they turn into big girls.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't flatter yourself. . 51% of people don't feel affected by it . Just the ones that have lost sight of the issue. If you're so concerned by retail signs . . How about working at the ground level. . Contribute to a positive movement that empowers sections of our society that feels oppressed. There are many doing great things i'm sure. Taking pot shots at general terms used to sell things is a waste of your energies . I'm all for people fighting oppression . . But if they are to be taken seriously, a considered approach is surely the way forward rather the angle of ' oh i'm offended by . . Etc'

We are contributing to that society. We're trying to make it so that little girls don't feel forced to do 'girl job' and like 'girl things' when they turn into big girls."

Agreed. As I said above it's the implicit suggestions in every day life that reinforce stereotypes, things like this ate the thin end of the wedge.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Are the thin end if the wedge.

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

"Don't flatter yourself. . 51% of people don't feel affected by it . Just the ones that have lost sight of the issue. If you're so concerned by retail signs . . How about working at the ground level. . Contribute to a positive movement that empowers sections of our society that feels oppressed. There are many doing great things i'm sure. Taking pot shots at general terms used to sell things is a waste of your energies . I'm all for people fighting oppression . . But if they are to be taken seriously, a considered approach is surely the way forward rather the angle of ' oh i'm offended by . . Etc' "

It's all part of the bigger picture. Pointing out that I am offended is my considered approach regardless of how petty my being offended may seem to you. Yes, there are bigger issues that I also challenge but letting the 'small' ones slide doesn't help either.

I think the girl saved them from weak and lazy marketing.

Anyway, this case was less of a big deal than last year when Tesco labelled science kits as gifts for boys, the media lost it with them over it. No idea why they'd use the same marketing POS again, it's stupid.

"

#EnlightenedTimes?

Mr ddc"

Fantastic

"Don't flatter yourself. . 51% of people don't feel affected by it . Just the ones that have lost sight of the issue. If you're so concerned by retail signs . . How about working at the ground level. . Contribute to a positive movement that empowers sections of our society that feels oppressed. There are many doing great things i'm sure. Taking pot shots at general terms used to sell things is a waste of your energies . I'm all for people fighting oppression . . But if they are to be taken seriously, a considered approach is surely the way forward rather the angle of ' oh i'm offended by . . Etc'

We are contributing to that society. We're trying to make it so that little girls don't feel forced to do 'girl job' and like 'girl things' when they turn into big girls.

Agreed. As I said above it's the implicit suggestions in every day life that reinforce stereotypes, things like this ate the thin end of the wedge."

I think it's more effect that cause . If that makes sense

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I think it's more effect that cause . If that makes sense "

Removing this effect might go some way to influencing the cause in the long run.

Maybe. . But i think a fair few folks with just see it as petty and arguing for the sake of it. Lets look at the OP . I think it's taking the attention away from where the root cause is .just my opinion of course but it seems a common one. Not that it makes me any more right. I'm just aware that if people want to affect change. . They have to have the majority onside

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Political correctness wouldn't exist if binary attitudes didn't exist.

By complaining of having political correctness imposed upon you, you ignore the fact that many people feel they have normative values imposed upon them.

No one is asking you to believe they are toys for both girls and boys. By taking the sign away Tesco is letting customers choose for themselves.

The original 'problem' has nothing whatsoever to do with this imaginary world of 'PC'.

The vast majority of the time those grumbling about political correctness are actually arguing for their own prejudices to be protected.

You shops are a great example. Why should science kits be labelled boys' toys and girls' toys all be bright plastic pink?

Good on the girl for saying something, and good on Tesco for having the sense to listen.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Maybe. . But i think a fair few folks with just see it as petty and arguing for the sake of it. Lets look at the OP . I think it's taking the attention away from where the root cause is .just my opinion of course but it seems a common one. Not that it makes me any more right. I'm just aware that if people want to affect change. . They have to have the majority onside"

sometimes the majority opinion is incorrect and only by challenging it in small ways will it change

Hmm. . That may have been true when a majority had extreme views . . But this is much more subtle and deep rooted from seemingly innocent values of old

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Hmm. . That may have been true when a majority had extreme views . . But this is much more subtle and deep rooted from seemingly innocent values of old "

I agree with you. The sign in Tesco is a symptom of the subtle and deep rooted nature of gender expectation.

"The original 'problem' has nothing whatsoever to do with this imaginary world of 'PC'.

The vast majority of the time those grumbling about political correctness are actually arguing for their own prejudices to be protected.

You shops are a great example. Why should science kits be labelled boys' toys and girls' toys all be bright plastic pink?

Good on the girl for saying something, and good on Tesco for having the sense to listen. "

Totally agree. Political Correctness is regularly used as a lazy insult on this forum (and guess what it doesn't offend me )

It's a back lash from the 70s this whole pc thing, if people had been a little more sensitive toward people, everything would be fine, so those who used racist, sexist, homophobic language like it was your god given right to do so, it's your fault my kids can't say ba ba black sheep, it's your fault I have to be 100% Sure that I'm reading the signals right before I ask someone at work out for a drink, and it's your fault we can't say puff the magic dragon, it's not the fault if "people being over sensitive" I never got asked if the gollywog on the jam jar was offensive it was just assumed, by white middle class straight men that it is, it's bull shit to be fair, as a black man I should be alowed to chose what is offensive to me, not be told, I can't speak for women or gay men but I'm sure they feel the same, I would say bring back "love thy neighbour" but the black guy came out on top every week is that racist toward white people, I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say.

Look the only rule in life as I see it is try not to be a cunt, and everything will be fine

Many studies have shown that when people are exposed to even subtle signs of gender stereotyping they form more gender polarised views. To many this may seem like an insignificant thing, but when messages like this are unbiquitous they become ingrained. I think it's right that signs like this are not used.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's a back lash from the 70s this whole pc thing, if people had been a little more sensitive toward people, everything would be fine, so those who used racist, sexist, homophobic language like it was your god given right to do so, it's your fault my kids can't say ba ba black sheep, it's your fault I have to be 100% Sure that I'm reading the signals right before I ask someone at work out for a drink, and it's your fault we can't say puff the magic dragon, it's not the fault if "people being over sensitive" I never got asked if the gollywog on the jam jar was offensive it was just assumed, by white middle class straight men that it is, it's bull shit to be fair, as a black man I should be alowed to chose what is offensive to me, not be told, I can't speak for women or gay men but I'm sure they feel the same, I would say bring back "love thy neighbour" but the black guy came out on top every week is that racist toward white people, I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say.

Look the only rule in life as I see it is try not to be a cunt, and everything will be fine "

I'm not offended by the sign in Tesco. Offense is the incorrect word, I firmly believe that in as far as possible, sensible and achievable the genders should be allowed equal access to opportunities in life. For me that starts with small things like signs in shops and ends with big things like women not being imprisoned for the crime of being raped in some countries.

"I think its far more annoying when supermarkets have mother and baby parking spots. Do fathers never take their kids shopping? A local supermarket had those up but removed them after complaints and replaced them...with a pic of somebody in a skirt and a child

think they are parent/child now"

Some not all. A lot still have the painted picture of a figure in a skirt pushing a pushchair so no different from writing mother and baby

"Maybe. . But i think a fair few folks with just see it as petty and arguing for the sake of it. Lets look at the OP . I think it's taking the attention away from where the root cause is .just my opinion of course but it seems a common one. Not that it makes me any more right. I'm just aware that if people want to affect change. . They have to have the majority onside"

Actually they don't have to have the majority onside. They just have to pick issues where they are the majority so that the cultural changes begin to seep through into other areas.

Take Tesco for example, and toy sales. Women are a bigger market than men at Tesco. One of it's biggest demographics will be housewives with children. That means Tesco has a large amount of customers who care about things like the way that women and their children are treated.

The supermarkets are 'easy wins' (although - still not easy) because you have a majority audience of women. That is why Tesco took notice o these complains and why they took notice of a large amount of mothers saying that they didn't want their children to see sexualised women on the fronts of newspapers.

These might seem like 'small wins', but the more 'small' wins you have, the larger your overall win is. And every time this hits the media it gives us all an opportunity to talk about other, wider issues. For instance a scientist wearing a shirt with women on opened the door to talking about who women are represented and treated in the STEM industries.

This little girl, with her wonderfully grumpy little face, has allowed people to start engaging with the wider debate of gendered toys. And that leads to more research into this being a cause or an affect, and ultimately if it's a problem or not.

"It's a back lash from the 70s this whole pc thing, if people had been a little more sensitive toward people, everything would be fine, so those who used racist, sexist, homophobic language like it was your god given right to do so, it's your fault my kids can't say ba ba black sheep, it's your fault I have to be 100% Sure that I'm reading the signals right before I ask someone at work out for a drink, and it's your fault we can't say puff the magic dragon, it's not the fault if "people being over sensitive" I never got asked if the gollywog on the jam jar was offensive it was just assumed, by white middle class straight men that it is, it's bull shit to be fair, as a black man I should be alowed to chose what is offensive to me, not be told, I can't speak for women or gay men but I'm sure they feel the same, I would say bring back "love thy neighbour" but the black guy came out on top every week is that racist toward white people, I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say.

Look the only rule in life as I see it is try not to be a cunt, and everything will be fine

I'm not offended by the sign in Tesco. Offense is the incorrect word, I firmly believe that in as far as possible, sensible and achievable the genders should be allowed equal access to opportunities in life. For me that starts with small things like signs in shops and ends with big things like women not being imprisoned for the crime of being raped in some countries. "

Yes I agree but if people weren't such arseholes to each other, then it wouldn't matter to a 7 yo girl that the toy she was playing with was designed with a boy in mind

"

I'm not offended by the sign in Tesco. Offense is the incorrect word, I firmly believe that in as far as possible, sensible and achievable the genders should be allowed equal access to opportunities in life. For me that starts with small things like signs in shops and ends with big things like women not being imprisoned for the crime of being raped in some countries.

Yes I agree but if people weren't such arseholes to each other, then it wouldn't matter to a 7 yo girl that the toy she was playing with was designed with a boy in mind "

Actually you might well be 'offended'. Offended means to find something problematic. You appear to find something problematic and therefore you may well be offended.

The problem here is that people say 'offence doesn't mean anything' as a way to silence those who have a problem with something. Don't let people silence you - be happy to be offended.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

Yes I agree but if people weren't such arseholes to each other, then it wouldn't matter to a 7 yo girl that the toy she was playing with was designed with a boy in mind

Actually you might well be 'offended'. Offended means to find something problematic. You appear to find something problematic and therefore you may well be offended.

The problem here is that people say 'offence doesn't mean anything' as a way to silence those who have a problem with something. Don't let people silence you - be happy to be offended."

I am far from being silenced and pretty much able to distinguish what I am happy to be offended about

I just don't like people telling me what I should and shouldn't be offended by like I don't know my own mind

Pretty sure this is a planted story to remind us all at Xmas that Tesco sells toys...

As I said earlier my local store does not have 2 aisles of toys and the label "Boys Toys" isn't there... but I did an on-line search on the store website and they do have "Boys Toys" as a search category, but no "Girls Toys" what is interesting is the toys the search brings up, top of the search is a pink phone case with "Boys are Stupid" moto on it, also a lot of dolls and other items.

I do agree with the poster who said about Magazine sections though Mens Interest & Womens Interest sections seem to have polarised around hairdressers waiting room and everything else magazines, I guess this is due to no longer stocking porn

"I have always been offended by word "menswear".

The offensive presumption that the whole male gender have a procalvity to utter expletives cannot be covered up simply by omitting a space between the "n" and the "s". so how should it work ? Department stores having a 'trousers' and a 'jumpers/shoes section,where both genders are lumped together ? I think you can either have an entire world that offers no gender aimed categorisation to ensure people looking to be offended are happy, or, a basic simple grouping of items that make it simple to find what you're looking for. Can't have both . Maybe google Steve Hughes 'get offended' on you tube. Never a truer statement made "

The idea of women's clothes lumped in together with men's is truly dreadful. Have you seen how unorganised and cluttered the womenswear sections are? I want a pair of jeans, and a shirt I can find my sizes and required styles in less than 5 minutes. My wife can take half an hour to find the right socks for herself. Please....never mix the two, therein lies madness, arguments and lots of tutting.

"

Do you actually think that a seven year old can comprehend those things properly?

Most adults can't comprehend those things."

You really have such a low opinion of others?

"

You really have such a low opinion of others?"

I'm an active political campaigner. Lack of comprehension is unfortunately displayed on a regular basis.

"

I'm an active political campaigner. Lack of comprehension is unfortunately displayed on a regular basis."

Using the lowest common denominator is no way to create rules for society. You just create a race to the bottom and society has low expectations of itself. Set standards higher and get people to reach for them. That's how er advance. You say most kids and adults cannot comprehend things, then I suggest that your not meeting a proper crosssection of society or your just making assumptions.

Derbyshire

"

I'm an active political campaigner. Lack of comprehension is unfortunately displayed on a regular basis."

"The electorate are idiots"?

Must be Labour politico then

Personally I'm more offended by the male advertising worker who has such sexist views to think that women would firstly believe this story, then be so offended that they would constantly mention the store throughout the media.

Still, he's earned his Christmas bonus...

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

But you don't approach people on the assumption that they lack understanding do you?

"

I'm an active political campaigner. Lack of comprehension is unfortunately displayed on a regular basis.

But you don't approach people on the assumption that they lack understanding do you?"

It depends what I'm talking about. As can be evidenced on this thread alone - many people lack understanding on what many others consider to be basic issues of gender equality.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

But you don't approach people on the assumption that they lack understanding do you?

It depends what I'm talking about. As can be evidenced on this thread alone - many people lack understanding on what many others consider to be basic issues of gender equality."

I see.

Do you find that attitude can alienate people who might be in broad agreement with you?

"

I see.

Do you find that attitude can alienate people who might be in broad agreement with you? "

I think that those people who don't understand basic gender politics are unlikely to be alienated by me. Indeed I've had many conversations where people understood the implications of their actions and changed their minds.

As someone who was considered thick and never really educated until I found 'my' subject that I was actually good at, I am always pleased when people take the time to explain concepts and theories to me when I'm interested.

I maintain that many adults can't comprehend many of the subtle arguments of this specialist subject - if they did then surely we wouldn't have people saying that gendered toys didn't affect how young people viewed themselves.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

I see.

Do you find that attitude can alienate people who might be in broad agreement with you?

I think that those people who don't understand basic gender politics are unlikely to be alienated by me. Indeed I've had many conversations where people understood the implications of their actions and changed their minds.

As someone who was considered thick and never really educated until I found 'my' subject that I was actually good at, I am always pleased when people take the time to explain concepts and theories to me when I'm interested.

I maintain that many adults can't comprehend many of the subtle arguments of this specialist subject - if they did then surely we wouldn't have people saying that gendered toys didn't affect how young people viewed themselves."

I agree. However I feel slightly patronised by you because you assumed that I was afraid to say I was offended yet I agree with almost all you say. I think starting from a point in which we assume that people don't understand is not the best way forward, however that is only my opinion.

"I maintain that many adults can't comprehend many of the subtle arguments of this specialist subject - if they did then surely we wouldn't have people saying that gendered toys didn't affect how young people viewed themselves."

I maintain that many children don't understand that gendered toys are wrong... My son was born many years ago to a pair of pacifist parents, who made a concious decision to raise him without wargames and guns... he used sticks and any other object to play soldier and shoot things.

Did a little better with my daughter she was showing real promise of being interested in physics, and has a talent for it... then dropped out to work with children instead.

My granddaughter started out as a great little genderless person who now has to have everything pink and princess based... bloody kids just won't be into gender free toys no matter what you you do.

Bloody kids!

"I maintain that many adults can't comprehend many of the subtle arguments of this specialist subject - if they did then surely we wouldn't have people saying that gendered toys didn't affect how young people viewed themselves.

I maintain that many children don't understand that gendered toys are wrong... My son was born many years ago to a pair of pacifist parents, who made a concious decision to raise him without wargames and guns... he used sticks and any other object to play soldier and shoot things.

Did a little better with my daughter she was showing real promise of being interested in physics, and has a talent for it... then dropped out to work with children instead.

My granddaughter started out as a great little genderless person who now has to have everything pink and princess based... bloody kids just won't be into gender free toys no matter what you you do.

Bloody kids!"

That went for my sister in law as well. She went out of her way to make all her kids toys as gender free as possible. The lad used dolls to have wrestling matches, and the girl ran around with a pink Lego gun wearing a tiara and her mums shoes.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I maintain that many adults can't comprehend many of the subtle arguments of this specialist subject - if they did then surely we wouldn't have people saying that gendered toys didn't affect how young people viewed themselves.

Bloody kids!"

children aren't brought up in isolation and will have outside influences on their idea of gender roles, which is the point of not wanting toys defined by gender really.

"children aren't brought up in isolation and will have outside influences on their idea of gender roles, which is the point of not wanting toys defined by gender really."

I know, but my suggestion of locking them in a box until they were 18 was rejected

I saw the signs above a toll booth change from "manned" to "staffed" that conversion on 6 toll booths must have run into thousands of pounds,PC gone mad or what.??

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"children aren't brought up in isolation and will have outside influences on their idea of gender roles, which is the point of not wanting toys defined by gender really.

I know, but my suggestion of locking them in a box until they were 18 was rejected

"

Yea we tried that with our two, they kept breaking out

These days it's the 'all the rage' to rage at and be offended by anything and everything then take to social media to enlist every social justice warrior waiting to rage.

Soon there will be no freedom of expression left anymore.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I saw the signs above a toll booth change from "manned" to "staffed" that conversion on 6 toll booths must have run into thousands of pounds,PC gone mad or what.??"

you'd have been happy to leave it if it said "womanned" then?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"These days it's the 'all the rage' to rage at and be offended by anything and everything then take to social media to enlist every social justice warrior waiting to rage.

Soon there will be no freedom of expression left anymore."

One person's freedom of expression often oppresses anothers.

If it would have been "womenned" it would have not bothered me in the least.There are more important things in the world (and my life) that to worry about wording certain things PC wise.

"I saw the signs above a toll booth change from "manned" to "staffed" that conversion on 6 toll booths must have run into thousands of pounds,PC gone mad or what.??

you'd have been happy to leave it if it said "womanned" then?"

I would. I really couldn't give a shit. It would have had no effect on me, my family, my friends or anyone that knows them. It did make a sign writers days though.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I saw the signs above a toll booth change from "manned" to "staffed" that conversion on 6 toll booths must have run into thousands of pounds,PC gone mad or what.??

you'd have been happy to leave it if it said "womanned" then?

I would. I really couldn't give a shit. It would have had no effect on me, my family, my friends or anyone that knows them. It did make a sign writers days though."

I'm not massively concerned about the use of "manned" because I take it to mean man as in mankind or humankind. But I do think that it does contribute to people's general attitude to gender roles.

Oh for gods sake get a life theres far more important things to correct in this world other than how a toy is labelled.

If i was shopping i wouldnt of even noticed the poxy sign.

If this type of thing bothers people that much they need to complain then they really dont have much to worry about do they.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"And back on topic I fail to see anything stupid about this story. This toy should have been marketed as gender neutral. It now ia being marketed as gender neutral. How is that a bad thing? And why is it stupid?

Oh for gods sake get a life theres far more important things to correct in this world other than how a toy is labelled.

If this type of thing bothers people that much they need to complain then they really dont have much to worry about do they.

"

always good to see a reasoned argument that doesn't rely on insult

Political correctness and sexual stereo-typing is very important these days - just ask Carol Vorderperson, Nelson Persondela or Personfred Person

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Political correctness and sexual stereo-typing is very important these days - just ask Carol Vorderperson, Nelson Persondela or Personfred Person "

so are you saying we all need to person up?

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

Read this non story in one of the papers, and the story afterwards was about a british woman who was awarded france's highest decoration for her work behind enemy lines in the second world war before the d day landings. So modest was she about her war efforts, that she didn't even tell her family until 15 years ago.

Possibly time to take stock and realise these sort of things(complaining about gender toys) are not that important in the greater scheme of things.

"Political correctness and sexual stereo-typing is very important these days - just ask Carol Vorderperson, Nelson Persondela or Personfred Person

so are you saying we all need to person up?"

Yes, especially if you want to listen to my favourite singing group - Personsmith Unspecified ethnicity Mambazo.

you explain it by saying "if you want the toy get it!!" People seem to think kids need endless explanations for everything and they really don't! !

nothing better to worry about, and more fool Tesco.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"

I see.

As someone who was considered thick and never really educated until I found 'my' subject that I was actually good at, ........"

What subject is that then, if i may ask??

"Read this non story in one of the papers, and the story afterwards was about a british woman who was awarded france's highest decoration for her work behind enemy lines in the second world war before the d day landings. So modest was she about her war efforts, that she didn't even tell her family until 15 years ago.

Possibly time to take stock and realise these sort of things(complaining about gender toys) are not that important in the greater scheme of things. "

now THAT is how you show how a gender how to roll . . Well done on that post . Puts it all into perspective .

"And back on topic I fail to see anything stupid about this story. This toy should have been marketed as gender neutral. It now ia being marketed as gender neutral. How is that a bad thing? And why is it stupid?

always good to see a reasoned argument that doesn't rely on insult"

"Read this non story in one of the papers, and the story afterwards was about a british woman who was awarded france's highest decoration for her work behind enemy lines in the second world war before the d day landings. So modest was she about her war efforts, that she didn't even tell her family until 15 years ago.

Possibly time to take stock and realise these sort of things(complaining about gender toys) are not that important in the greater scheme of things. "

Many women are inspirational

I'm not sure how her story diminishes the relevance of this thread though? It almost seems contradictory to say on one hand, look at this amazing woman while dismissing the negative reinforcement of gender.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"My local supermarket still has labelled sections for magazines meaning that the music and sci-fi ones I regularly buy are in the "mens's lifestyle" section. This also contains most of the computing, satirical and hobbyist publications (apart from knitting; that's still kept in the women section). It's casual everyday sexism and does actually piss me off. Or I could keep my mouth shut instead of complaining and buy the celebrity gossip, baking or psychic exploration ones aimed at my gender."

Next time you are there put a knitting mag in the mens section, i'll happily put a copy of Loaded, Nuts, Fhm or Maxim in the womens section to even up the balance for all the ladies who want to buy it but don't want to reach into the mens section.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"

Thats the trouble with the politically correct, offended by a sign in a shop this week, next week they'll go out of their way to find something else to be offended by.

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

Possibly time to take stock and realise these sort of things(complaining about gender toys) are not that important in the greater scheme of things.

Many women are inspirational

I'm not sure how her story diminishes the relevance of this thread though? It almost seems contradictory to say on one hand, look at this amazing woman while dismissing the negative reinforcement of gender.

"

The point i was trying to make was that she was of the generation(like my gran) who went through hard times whilst having a sense of perspective of what is actually important.

What we should be asking is "what if anything is Tesco's getting out of changing the sign ? " answer . The chance to make more cash . If they thought that not taking down the sign would of made them more cash than keeping it . The sign would of stayed . Tesco's and all other retailers are there to make as much money as they can . They do not give a duck about one small child other than that child is a customer. Gender only came o to it cause it could of stopped a perches. End off . Simple cash making . Capitalism

So the out come is this . The mother and her child have in a fect made tesco's a hole lot of cash . And made them look like they care .

By *ilandlarryCouple  over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

I know a little boy who loves Barbie dolls. Those are clearly marketed towards female children.

Are Tesco going to change their displays if he goes in with his mum/dad and has his picture taken next to the Barbie sign with a sad face? Of course they aren't!

His parents let him play with whatever toys they/he choose. He understands that dolls are for girls, but he likes them therefore he plays with them. He is happy with his toys, and no one is "hurt" in the process.

People need to get over all this political correctness, the country is going to pot. This is just the tip of the iceberg IMO.

» Add a new message to this topic