FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Victorian Pharmacy

Victorian Pharmacy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Interesting programme!

Brings back memories of the practical sessions when I was at college back in the 80s!

No one makes suppositories, powders, creams and ointments etc. in the back of a pharmacy anymore due to changes rules and regulations after a number of significant incidences.

I had never failed a practical exam for making products from scratch.

Happy days!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Definitely an interesting programme, and I really fancy the middle aged lady academic who makes some of the remedies.

I'm off to apply a poultice of dock leaves to my danglies to calm myself down!

I remember vividly the first time I made suppositories with Copper Sulphate, ended up with suppositories with blue tips, as the wax was too hot when it was poured into the mould, allowing the solid to sink to the bottom.

No such problem 2 weeks later!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"I remember vividly the first time I made suppositories with Copper Sulphate, ended up with suppositories with blue tips, as the wax was too hot when it was poured into the mould, allowing the solid to sink to the bottom.

No such problem 2 weeks later! "

so clad your on.can you still get crystal violet solution( gentian violet)

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I remember going to the chemist as a child for a cough mixture for my dad, Liquorice, codeine and Ipecacuhna? not sure of thatspelling

Our little one has had recurring chest infections since birth and got some new anti-biotics prescribed to try and help... i had to go to 7 local chemists until i found one who stocked his medicine.

I asked the pharmacist why other chemists didnt have this item and he said it had to be mixed to a liquid from 2 separate powder forms, took 20 minutes but i did eventually get a bottle of white gunk - seems some of the older methods continue into 2010.

"so clad your on.can you still get crystal violet solution( gentian violet) "

It should still be available as it is used in Gram Stain to aid identification of bacteria to this day.

It may be something that needs to be specially ordered though.

BTW, I have not worked in a retail/community pharmacy since 2005 as a locum. I spent most of the past 20 or so years in the pharma industry.

"Our little one has had recurring chest infections since birth and got some new anti-biotics prescribed to try and help... i had to go to 7 local chemists until i found one who stocked his medicine.

I asked the pharmacist why other chemists didnt have this item and he said it had to be mixed to a liquid from 2 separate powder forms, took 20 minutes but i did eventually get a bottle of white gunk - seems some of the older methods continue into 2010."

It has something to do with the stability of the eventual admixture.

If the drug preparation is new, then it is unlikely a small pharmacy that does not get many scripts to stock it.

They too work on a supply and demand basis!

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Bottles of arsenic freely available! Ahhh the good old days

glasgow

"so clad your on.can you still get crystal violet solution( gentian violet)

It should still be available as it is used in Gram Stain to aid identification of bacteria to this day.

It may be something that needs to be specially ordered though.

BTW, I have not worked in a retail/community pharmacy since 2005 as a locum. I spent most of the past 20 or so years in the pharma industry. "

thanks pearl, i still have some,but running out.its the best stuff,for cuts,grazes,burst blisters,etc etc.the only problem is,the wound has long gone,but the purple remains.thanks again.

"thanks pearl, i still have some,but running out.its the best stuff,for cuts,grazes,burst blisters,etc etc.the only problem is,the wound has long gone,but the purple remains.thanks again. "

It is considered to be "very old fashion", and has largely been replaced by less messy stuff!

glasgow

"thanks pearl, i still have some,but running out.its the best stuff,for cuts,grazes,burst blisters,etc etc.the only problem is,the wound has long gone,but the purple remains.thanks again.

It is considered to be "very old fashion", and has largely been replaced by less messy stuff! "

less messy,and much less effective.although my mother used it on us for mouth ulcers.not a good look.

there is a program on in the week on two about 5pm i think about two families learning to live like the Victorians and making things from scratch its ive seen it a couple of times but its quite good.

By *plpxp2Couple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

I think it's quite fascinating to see some of the horrendous things that were give to people, drugs that we wouldn't dream of using today. Makes you wonder what the view of todays treatments will be in 100 years.

I was a little pissed off that i have missed the first three but i saw a bit of last nights and have set the record on next weeks

Brilliant program i love history as a subject generally anyway xx

» Add a new message to this topic