FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > European Car Travel

European Car Travel

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *umour OP   Couple  over a year ago

Northants

Another thing that has happened to me lately is my insurance renewal! I was with Churchill and we drive in France quite a bit. In an idle moment, I actually read the changes to policy and section G sated that..

"Foreign usage cover is no longer included in your policy. Foreign usage charges are based on the time spent abroad and your cars insurance grouping"

This post is not to complain that they shouldn't do it, but if like me some of you take little notice of the small print, you need to!

Just wanted to warn anyone who drives in Europe to check, because if you have an accident and don't have cover....

Drive safe

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I am with Direct Line for car insurance, and driving in Europe is always extra for me.

Likewise with my breakdown cover with AA.

Good job too as I have not been to France for a couple of years now due to be very poor exchange rate and other issues.

Thanks for the reminder to check the small print!

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

A friend`s son-in-law comes from Belgium. His policy automatically covers him for ALL E.E.C. countries including UK for no added cost. As I understand it, that`s standard practice on the continent. OK There aren`t any borders as such in Europe now but it just goes to show how the good `ole UK gets ripped off!

You are or should be automatically covered by 3rd party insurance in all EU countries including Swiss and Norway. It normally says this on the policy document. You normally have to pay a few quid for comprehensive cover.

I always check the small print when it comes to driving overseas - not that I do it very much nowadays, but the insurance companies, shifty twats, are always moving the goalposts and it pays to check what you are covered for.

3rd party liabilty is one thing but if that's all hat you have by default, it's not much good if you write off ou new car whilst overseas ..

I hate insurance companies, and banks, and finance companies, and Burger King, Mcdonalds ........ In fact I hate everybody

By *umour OP   Couple  over a year ago

Northants

"You are or should be automatically covered by 3rd party insurance in all EU countries including Swiss and Norway. It normally says this on the policy document. You normally have to pay a few quid for comprehensive cover."

I thought that but when I checked with Churchill, they said that they only cover where extra premium is paid.

I don't have a problem with that as long as it is "announced" because in the UK cover has been automatic for so long. A mate did mail me and say that if you are given cover on your policy, it may only be third party.

Best check if you are driving abroad istead of assuming as I would have done.... DOH!!!

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Another thing that has happened to me lately is my insurance renewal! I was with Churchill and we drive in France quite a bit. In an idle moment, I actually read the changes to policy and section G sated that..

"Foreign usage cover is no longer included in your policy. Foreign usage charges are based on the time spent abroad and your cars insurance grouping"

This post is not to complain that they shouldn't do it, but if like me some of you take little notice of the small print, you need to!

Just wanted to warn anyone who drives in Europe to check, because if you have an accident and don't have cover....

Drive safe "

Its a good point one or two have done this recently as a way to reduce costs. Its not very responsible to do it without speaking to you and fully informing you. I would be a bit miffed my self if it happened to me.

By *ickens CiderMan  over a year ago

taunton

It's all "come to blah blah insurance we could save you £150 off your renewal..."

it's all give and take really... give you a "better" price by taking away elements of your cover... In that small print way?!

What annoys me is the cost generally... Or more the point you read in the paper about driving conviction in the local courts... Some asshole driving without MOT... no Insurance... blah blah and they get a silly little fine of a £150... Plus £80 cost....

Cheap bloody motoring!!! When the rest of us law abiding muppets are paying say £350 for insurance that 3 or years ago coated £100 less....

That's the sneaky bit the rise in the damn premiums.... GRRRRR!!!!!! lol

» Add a new message to this topic