FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Euthanasia

Euthanasia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *on Diego Vega OP   Man  over a year ago

kew

Is it about time the government reviewed this issue? Ethnically it might not be the done thing but with the state of the economy the huge reduction in pension payments would reduce the deficit in the economy. Is it one cut too far though?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uss PussWoman  over a year ago

east cheshire

Seeing as this is just theoretical...how about adding those who havent worked for years to the list?....would save a bomb

kew

"Seeing as this is just theoretical...how about adding those who havent worked for years to the list?....would save a bomb "

Well its a point to be considered. If for instance someone hadn't worked for say...4/5 years maybe they should have to go before a panel to prove their worth to society.

east cheshire

Can I be on the panel

kew

"Can I be on the panel "

If you apply i am sure you would be considered.

Its a serious issue though as the country is billions in debt. We need to look at the biggest expenditures and pensions and benefits are high ion the agenda.

Can we really justify letting someone claim benefits from 50 years to god for bid 90 years and expect the working man to foot the bill for those 40 years. At £5,000 per year over a 40 year rate its 200k WITHOUT inflation. Thats a lot of taxes on a hard working man or woman.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I totally agree with euthenasia after all we dont let animals suffer so why should humans.

By *ensual temptressWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

id be horrified at this being looked at as an economic fix !! talk about cold and clinical !why not go whole hog and bring in the blade runner type senario lol!!! you hit a certain age and then get termanated ...i dont think so lol!!

i do however think people should be able to make a choice that in the event if their quality of life is affected due to illness or accident .kinda along the lines of the do not resusitate requests .this is purely a personal view as i wouldnt want to be kept alive in a vegative state .medical advance has came such along way and given chance to keep people alive on machines who other wise just few years ago would of died just because we can do it we also need to ask should we ? its a very emotive subject and i think we really have to think carefully about A) thats persons own wishes and 2)what quality of life that person would have if we intervine.

dont think there is any right or wrong choice just your own very personal wishes and view .

"Is it about time the government reviewed this issue? Ethnically it might not be the done thing but with the state of the economy the huge reduction in pension payments would reduce the deficit in the economy. Is it one cut too far though?"

Ethnically?!!

Freudian slip?!!

This is very relevant personally at the moment.

My father is in hospital with Parkinsons and dementia, hasn't a clue about anything, no quality of life, and nobody has yet recovered from dementia, so.....??

kew

"This is very relevant personally at the moment.

My father is in hospital with Parkinsons and dementia, hasn't a clue about anything, no quality of life, and nobody has yet recovered from dementia, so.....??"

They can treat Parkinsons to some extent if caught early enough but in the advanced stages I don’t know how medicine stands currently on this. I do believe though we should provide a level of dignity for people and I think that if someone has made a living will ( I think that’s what its called) then they should have the right to pass away in other ways than starve. It is an area fraught with problems though and passing legalisation on this looks a long way away in the UK.

It shouldnt become an "economic fix" but should be talked about and we should have that choice.

I know i want the option if things get bad for me .

The "living will" is a farce as can be over turned but family etc.

Euthanasia as a means to end unnecessary suffering is one thing, and a valid, relevant issue for any government to look at.

However, euthanasia as a means to help reign in the budget deficit? ....... in the famous words of Mr J McEnroe.....You cannot be serious?

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"Euthanasia as a means to end unnecessary suffering is one thing, and a valid, relevant issue for any government to look at.

However, euthanasia as a means to help reign in the budget deficit? ....... in the famous words of Mr J McEnroe.....You cannot be serious? "

Take no notice Stu,this guy was taking pops at the older members on the site all day yesterday about 8 seperate posts, all at elderly people and older members ,its just an agenda to get at someone i suspect....either that or we have a genuine Ageist

"Euthanasia as a means to end unnecessary suffering is one thing, and a valid, relevant issue for any government to look at.

However, euthanasia as a means to help reign in the budget deficit? ....... in the famous words of Mr J McEnroe.....You cannot be serious?

Take no notice Stu,this guy was taking pops at the older members on the site all day yesterday about 8 seperate posts, all at elderly people and older members ,its just an agenda to get at someone i suspect....either that or we have a genuine Ageist "

Looks like you ARE stirring! It’s a thread about Euthanasia which is is a much debated topic over the last few years. I don’t think financial reasons for promoting it are good but people should be allowed dignity and the right to choose.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

this may seem a silly question but IF this was to be allowed who would do the aelection and killing?

"this may seem a silly question but IF this was to be allowed who would do the aelection and killing?"

Now that's a good question. There are many people who would choose this option right now. Some even travel abroad and its been documented some family's have had police investigations for assisting. Ideally it would be a trained medical officer who can do it painlessly.

all over the place

Take no notice Stu,this guy was taking pops at the older members on the site all day yesterday about 8 seperate posts, all at elderly people and older members ,its just an agenda to get at someone i suspect....either that or we have a genuine Ageist

Looks like you ARE stirring! It’s a thread about Euthanasia which is is a much debated topic over the last few years. I don’t think financial reasons for promoting it are good but people should be allowed dignity and the right to choose. "

ohh i agree the subject is valid in terms of alleviating suffering but to then link it to poor unemployed people is a bit sick if you ask me .. ..i was unemployed once and the self esteem plummets ...i find the concept of attacking people for there age or ability to be financially active abhorrent

Looks like you ARE stirring! It’s a thread about Euthanasia which is is a much debated topic over the last few years. I don’t think financial reasons for promoting it are good but people should be allowed dignity and the right to choose.

ohh i agree the subject is valid in terms of alleviating suffering but to then link it to poor unemployed people is a bit sick if you ask me .. ..i was unemployed once and the self esteem plummets ...i find the concept of attacking people for there age or ability to be financially active abhorrent "

You do remarkably well for getting on line daytime to say your employed then.

Looks like you ARE stirring! It’s a thread about Euthanasia which is is a much debated topic over the last few years. I don’t think financial reasons for promoting it are good but people should be allowed dignity and the right to choose. "

I was not trying to stir, I was merely replying to the original post which suggested the government looks at this again as a way of reducing pension payments and mitigating against the deficit.

It is indeed, of itself, a valid subject. I have started threads, and contributed to threads, explaining my views, and explaining why (even though I effectively had doctors kill my father) I do not agree with the idea that we should legislate.

all over the place

ohh i agree the subject is valid in terms of alleviating suffering but to then link it to poor unemployed people is a bit sick if you ask me .. ..i was unemployed once and the self esteem plummets ...i find the concept of attacking people for there age or ability to be financially active abhorrent

You do remarkably well for getting on line daytime to say your employed then."

well that is not really your concern there are loads of ways people can be online during the day ,as are you ,shift workers ,holidays ,laptops being self employed how is that of any relevance ??

well that is not really your concern there are loads of ways people can be online during the day ,as are you ,shift workers ,holidays ,laptops being self employed how is that of any relevance ??"

Ooo touchy! Is that a raw nerve then for you?

There are defo circumstances where euthanasia should be an option...

My uncle took a heart attack and was brought back to life after 12 minutes....he never recovered properly and was left in a comma like state......he lasted 7 horrible years in this state.........he was a vegetable....incontinent, limbs seized, was peg fed into his stomach, couldnt communicate in any way it was truley ghastly !

can ppl stop arguing over pettiness....a thread which in honesty brings up a lotta emotion for people in a serious way....slagging each other is so petty !

all over the place

well that is not really your concern there are loads of ways people can be online during the day ,as are you ,shift workers ,holidays ,laptops being self employed how is that of any relevance ??

Ooo touchy! Is that a raw nerve then for you?"

no simply pointing out, how it is that people can be online during the day,are you unemployed then, as you seemed to assume and imply everyone on here during the day is ?

if you are commiserations to you hope you get a job soon

all over the place

"can ppl stop arguing over pettiness....a thread which in honesty brings up a lotta emotion for people in a serious way....slagging each other is so petty !"

your so right it does ..its the linkage to economic prowess which debases the legitimate discussion on euthanasia eleviation of suffering

"There are defo circumstances where euthanasia should be an option...

My uncle took a heart attack and was brought back to life after 12 minutes....he never recovered properly and was left in a comma like state......he lasted 7 horrible years in this state.........he was a vegetable....incontinent, limbs seized, was peg fed into his stomach, couldnt communicate in any way it was truley ghastly !"

I have seen a number of people like this and it is degraded for many and its so hard and painful for the family. I sometimes think we go to far with medicine but its impossible to draw a line as some recover well.

A living will is one answer but we should be open to everyone's view on this as its an important subject.

"can ppl stop arguing over pettiness....a thread which in honesty brings up a lotta emotion for people in a serious way....slagging each other is so petty !"

Agreed some people drag serious issues of thread for what ever reason.

My uncle took a heart attack and was brought back to life after 12 minutes....he never recovered properly and was left in a comma like state......he lasted 7 horrible years in this state.........he was a vegetable....incontinent, limbs seized, was peg fed into his stomach, couldnt communicate in any way it was truley ghastly !

I have seen a number of people like this and it is degraded for many and its so hard and painful for the family. I sometimes think we go to far with medicine but its impossible to draw a line as some recover well.

A living will is one answer but we should be open to everyone's view on this as its an important subject."

we all have a DO NOT RESUSITATE written after watching what happened to my uncle.

A living will is one answer but we should be open to everyone's view on this as its an important subject.

we all have a DO NOT RESUSITATE written after watching what happened to my uncle."

A friend of mine has had DO NOT RESUSCITATE tattoeed across his chest

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

The problem with 'DO NOT RESUSCITATE' is that in many cases accident victims are resuscitated succesfully and go on to lead totally normal and healthy lives....

we all have a DO NOT RESUSITATE written after watching what happened to my uncle."

Its a hard one because you don't want a repeat for your self. However many more recover fine and if they opted for no resuscitation then they would be no more.

I think the sensible option would be for the law to be chanced to allow people to die if resuscitated but in such a state they have no quality of life. But then people will debate what is quality of life. There is no easy option on this subject. I do believe we should all have the option of choice though.

"The problem with 'DO NOT RESUSCITATE' is that in many cases accident victims are resuscitated succesfully and go on to lead totally normal and healthy lives...."

You so right there.

all over the place

To address the subject the op raised and the subsequent posts advocating euthansia for the unemployed.

At what point do you advocate unemployed people are put before this panel ?

3 months ,4 months,1 year 2 ? if people gave up there pension or unemployment benefit would they be "let off"

Euthanasia is a serious issue for many people myself included, who faced this with my father and mother ,At one point i seriously considered doing my father in such was the level of his suffering being his carer for 6 months prior to his death.I would of happily done the time ,fortunately for me ,nature took the matter from my hands .

it is a subject with a lot of grey areas, thats for sure.....but so many ppl suffer wheres there is no cure.....its painfull....its not gracefull....and in some cases its purey ghastly.....

all over the place

"it is a subject with a lot of grey areas, thats for sure.....but so many ppl suffer wheres there is no cure.....its painfull....its not gracefull....and in some cases its purey ghastly....."

i thought the comment re unemployed and old people on pensions trivialised a serious issue

"To address the subject the op raised and the subsequent posts advocating euthansia for the unemployed.

At what point do you advocate unemployed people are put before this panel ?

3 months ,4 months,1 year 2 ? if people gave up there pension or unemployment benefit would they be "let off"

Euthanasia is a serious issue for many people myself included, who faced this with my father and mother ,At one point i seriously considered doing my father in such was the level of his suffering being his carer for 6 months prior to his death.I would of happily done the time ,fortunately for me ,nature took the matter from my hands .

"

If you can't see it was tongue in cheek then maybe your best avoiding this thread. Like we are all told "if you don't like something then avoid it"

With the elderly its a far different matter and its not something to be taken into your own hands.

"it is a subject with a lot of grey areas, thats for sure.....but so many ppl suffer wheres there is no cure.....its painfull....its not gracefull....and in some cases its purey ghastly.....

i thought the comment re unemployed and old people on pensions trivialised a serious issue "

trivial issue haha it will never be a trivial issue to those watching someone dieing, suffering or not being in control of there own body...........or to the person themselves laying not being in control.

"it is a subject with a lot of grey areas, thats for sure.....but so many ppl suffer wheres there is no cure.....its painfull....its not gracefull....and in some cases its purey ghastly....."

Sometimes the family's suffer far more than the patients. Often the patient is drugged or in a vegetative state with just machines keeping them alive.

The family's visit daily and they hope amongst hope and its never good for them.

The problems with legislating is that lawyers will circle like sharks ready for a feeding frenzy waiting for a chance to test the interpretation of the statute.

Once a case has reached the appeal court the door will be open for challenges to, and a potential watering down, of any legislation.

It is, in my view, for reasons stated elsewhere, the thin end of a very large wedge.

Having studied the issue for a dissertation and looked into how other countries have dealt with, and are dealing with legalising euthanasia, it's not a route I would want to go down.

My own father was "put to sleep" at the request of my brothers and I. The doctors treating him sat us down and explained what would happen if they did as we asked and increased his morphine dose, but they acquiesced.

I would not wish anyone, or their families, to have to suffer, but legislating is potentially a very dangerous route to go down.

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 24/05/10 10:05:49]

"it is a subject with a lot of grey areas, thats for sure.....but so many ppl suffer wheres there is no cure.....its painfull....its not gracefull....and in some cases its purey ghastly.....

i thought the comment re unemployed and old people on pensions trivialised a serious issue "

Your really trying to twist this thread aren't you!

Sometimes the family's suffer far more than the patients. Often the patient is drugged or in a vegetative state with just machines keeping them alive.

The family's visit daily and they hope amongst hope and its never good for them.

"

some maybe yes......but we have watched 3 very close members die of cancer/lukemia over the last year....they didnt want to lay suffering.....as i say lots of grey areas !

Torquay

He isn't twisting the thread at all....see the first three posts by the OP who started this thread, all he is concerned about is his own personal tax burden brought on by umemployed and old people.

"[Removed by poster at 24/05/10 10:05:49]"

I would agree with that but we have moved it on to a serious discussion. Feel free to re-post it though if you feel the need.

Torquay

My spelling as per normal was shite...

all over the place

i thought the comment re unemployed and old people on pensions trivialised a serious issue

trivial issue haha it will never be a trivial issue to those watching someone dieing, suffering or not being in control of there own body...........or to the person themselves laying not being in control."

yes been there 3 times now as have many However to discuss Euthanasia for the purposes of relief of suffering with a linkage (tongue in cheek or not) to killing the unemployed because they have not got a job surely skews the debate into a frivolous path,or am i wrong?

"He isn't twisting the thread at all....see the first three posts by the OP who started this thread, all he is concerned about is his own personal tax burden brought on by umemployed and old people."

Well its an emotive subject all round. I wouldn't say it is a Neo Nazi stance as you said but removed though.

trivial issue haha it will never be a trivial issue to those watching someone dieing, suffering or not being in control of there own body...........or to the person themselves laying not being in control.

yes been there 3 times now as have many However to discuss Euthanasia for the purposes of relief of suffering with a linkage (tongue in cheek or not) to killing the unemployed because they have not got a job surely skews the debate into a frivolous path,or am i wrong? "

i am talking about people in general....not classing people into groups such as the elderly, the unemployed etc........i aint getting involved in the petty arguing.....i am talking of people in general.

yes been there 3 times now as have many However to discuss Euthanasia for the purposes of relief of suffering with a linkage (tongue in cheek or not) to killing the unemployed because they have not got a job surely skews the debate into a frivolous path,or am i wrong? "

I give up. Your intent on turning this into a nasty thread so you go for it. I think its shame as its a serious topic but obviously that huge chip on your shoulder that says your always right rules you.

yes been there 3 times now as have many However to discuss Euthanasia for the purposes of relief of suffering with a linkage (tongue in cheek or not) to killing the unemployed because they have not got a job surely skews the debate into a frivolous path,or am i wrong?

I give up. Your intent on turning this into a nasty thread so you go for it. I think its shame as its a serious topic but obviously that huge chip on your shoulder that says your always right rules you.

"

giving up is probably best..... sometimes just letting people read whats being said, says it all !!

Torquay

Actually it is EXACTLY the typical policy of Neo Nazi thinking individuals....

They see the elderly, the unemployed, the disabled as an underclass that is a burden on their personal tax burden.

THAT was the intention and personal views of the guy who started the thread otherwise he would not have linked euthenasia up with unemployement in the first place.

Torquay

"Well its a point to be considered. If for instance someone hadn't worked for say...4/5 years maybe they should have to go before a panel to prove their worth to society."

If that isn't a paranoid view of the worth of the unemployed I don't know what is...

east cheshire

"Actually it is EXACTLY the typical policy of Neo Nazi thinking individuals....

They see the elderly, the unemployed, the disabled as an underclass that is a burden on their personal tax burden.

THAT was the intention and personal views of the guy who started the thread otherwise he would not have linked euthenasia up with unemployement in the first place.

"

He didnt....i brought it up.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok , if you want to argue go take it private.

all over the place

"He isn't twisting the thread at all....see the first three posts by the OP who started this thread, all he is concerned about is his own personal tax burden brought on by umemployed and old people."

i was beginning to think it was me,how can you ignore one of the most outrageous suggestions ever made on the site....

"Ok , if you want to argue go take it private."

well said !!

east cheshire

Booooobies

moston

"There are many people who would choose this option right now. Some even travel abroad and its been documented some family's have had police investigations for assisting. Ideally it would be a trained medical officer who can do it painlessly. "

Indeed they do, and as such are subject to the laws of the country they are visiting, that the UK should then seek to extend our laws to also cover them I find quite disturbing (but that is a different subject).

As for your answer to my original question I have heard the same answer before and I still don't know what a medically trained officer is, maybe you could expand? Is it a lawyer with a first aid cert, or a doctor with a quasi legal roll, is it something in between or something totally new?

"Is it about time the government reviewed this issue? Ethnically it might not be the done thing but with the state of the economy the huge reduction in pension payments would reduce the deficit in the economy. Is it one cut too far though?"

so we can have the oh here is mr jones not worked in 20 years...pull the plug not worth keepin??

or mrs smith terminal cancer worked all her life does she get the delux version of helped over to the other side??

euthanasia is a very touchy subject but to link it in with ways of sortin the economy is just vile and horrid!! what next?? oh disabled dont bother treating just shove him over by the bed at the window has no worth!!

where do we draw line??? x

or maybe oh hold on till we check your credit report....oh default on your electricity bill on 1982 ohhhh dear.........x

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

I think people that want to die, should be assisted to do so in many cases.

We are massively overpopulated.

People with illnesses or depression are often a terrible drain on society, their friends and family and they themselves find it difficult to live with.

I think it needs reviewing yes

but I think it needs to be done properly in places like hospices, overdose of morphine then sleep

to some i would be total bliss

if someone in sound mind wants to for whatever reason terminal illness or whatever then yes i think they should.

if some moron decides its because THEY dont think they are of apparent worth to society then no its just wrong!! what would be the next step?? the rounding up and gassing of the homeless or people with mental health issues??

people with depression?? iv had depression and im really glad someone didnt decide i had to be put down because of it!!

I've had depression too and wanted to die

still do some days when it gets a grip and on those days I would have been greatful to have been put to sleep

yeah but the good days make up for the horrid duvet days as i called them!

depression is excuse my language a cunt of an illness that people sometimes dont understand!

when would it be decided?? 5years with depression your gettin put to sleep?

a lot of people have took their own life with depression but i dont think its a case for euthanasia x

so many depressives WANT TO DIE though and its them I mean

Many try suicide so many times

surely it would be helping them

I see it like that anyways having been on a mental ward for 2 months and seen lots of people die on the ward and after they left

but then there are the ones that do recover even after suicide attempts if it was in place it would be too late for them?

a friend of mine he tried on many occassions to commit suicide , ten yrs down the line he fine still gets odd black days but nowhere near the extent where he wants to try and take his own life again xx

I know some folk recover

I am recovered most days

but for those awful day when you want to die, it would be a blessing for many as well as their family and friends that have to live with them and their torment

i understand completely, only thing that put me off suicide was the fact that knowin my luck, somethin would have went wrong and i would have ended up either cripples or maimed in some way that my quality of life would have been worse!!

i still dont think it should be used for a euthanasia cause though because people do and can recover, and if we let them die that would be it , no chance of ever goin on and havin a normalish life as people have done x

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

I'm a great believer in euthanasia, always have and always will, if someone chooses they wish to bring their life to an end, regardless of the reason, they should have right.

By *orestersCouple  over a year ago

The Forest

Unfortunately, the reality is that if you do have a heart attack the most likely people to do CPR is the ambulance crew who attend. By law, they have to attempt resuscitation, and anyway, they won't have instant access your medical notes. The same would go for the receiving casualty - patients with no vital signs are treated immediately, the staff don't wait for medical notes to be read. Even the person who had it tattooed - it would be ignored, just in case it was "a joke". Medical staff can't be blamed if they do attempt resuscitation - they can be sued/fired/jailed if they don't.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I’m all for the UK introducing a euthanasia service…....... especially if you can buy gift cards.

I saw an interesting quote just earlier today which said something along the lines of

A society is judged by how it treats its elderly, sick and vulnerable people.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I did mention 'gift cards'

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

i havent made my mind up on this yet, been looking at stuff on the net about it

Best thing to do is buy a dog-tag, place it around your neck, on both sides it says "Do Not Resussitate!" with your name and date of birth, then if you do get resussitated, sue them for the likely cost of your residual life!

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Best thing to do is buy a dog-tag, place it around your neck, on both sides it says "Do Not Resussitate!" with your name and date of birth, then if you do get resussitated, sue them for the likely cost of your residual life! "

Its a horrible thing to say but that might actually work!

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I have nursed people in the latter stages of life......i remember one lady GRHS, who had Motor Neurone Disease......she said that she wished Euthanasia were legal here, and she wouldn't wish her pain and suffering on her worst enemy

it is a very complex matter, with ethical, legal, emotional and political implications. It will look and feel different for most people and your stance is likely to depend on your personal experience of this, and that is why it could and should not be decided by individuals on an ad hoc basis.

I deeply empathise with terminally ill, their relatives and carers and i do believe in freedom of choice, however, euthanasia if not controlled into minute detail can have massive and distastrous consequences such as said ethnic cleansing. A very serious matter indeed.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 25/05/10 09:31:48]

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I watched a loved one die of lung cancer. Yes they gave her drugs to help with the pain, but everytime district nurses came and moved her, her face grimaced with the pain ( by this time she had been in a coma like state for 5 days )

On the 7th day she died, and all I can say is, if I had had the guts I would have given her something to stop her lying there in agony for a week.

They won't let an animal sit in pain, and most people wouldn't want them to, so why leave a human like that when they were about to die anyway?

In certain circumstances I would be for it, you would have to have very strict guidelines though, otherwise it could be abused.

lmao not sure euthanasia should be made legal to save money on member of your society in their old age

Well Personally id definitely have it put in a living will if it was made legal

I really think that people should have a choice

The choice should consist of

Permission in a living will when you are deemed fit and healthy and of sound mind ta make one

At least eight out of ten specialists should agree that the illness is treminal

If the person is still rational and of sound mind at this stage should then be made to reaffirm their living will in front of witnesses

At the end of the day its my life BUT there should be safeguards xx

"Well Personally id definitely have it put in a living will if it was made legal

I really think that people should have a choice

The choice should consist of

Permission in a living will when you are deemed fit and healthy and of sound mind ta make one

At least eight out of ten specialists should agree that the illness is treminal

If the person is still rational and of sound mind at this stage should then be made to reaffirm their living will in front of witnesses

At the end of the day its my life BUT there should be safeguards xx"

i totally agree x

all over the place

In my Dads case ,he had stomach cancer and he was highly allergic to opiates so morphine was out.Here was a man An original Army commando who fought behind the lines in burma ,fully trained to deal with pain in case of capture.

I saw that man reduced to tears with pain,cut in two,and along with macmillan nurses made hourly decisions re class A drugs to try and help him.On the night he died ,he looked at me and said ,son i have had enough ,i got to throw in the towel,help me.

At that point ,i seriously considered it ,i really really did ,i just think in that situation there should be a procedure you or the patient can enact,to give them some peace.

For the life of me i dont knbow what it should be or how it should be administered,In the end a doc made a decision to put him on morphine and he died peacefully shortly after.Maybe that slowly slowly softly softly approach is all thats required.

The law can be so indiscriminate ,it worries me .

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I have watched two member of my family die from an awful, awful wasting disease, you wouldn't let an animal suffer the way they did.

I also watched my beloved mum die from Pancreatic cancer, she was in so much pain and was begging to die and evetually was put on life support.

Would I have helped any of these to end their suffering, yes. And if I had to do it in the future for a loved one then I would

moston

I am in favor of assisted suicide if it is appropriate.

I have read all the posts here and understand what pain so many of you have gone through, luckily for me my mother deteriorated quite quickly and the decision to place her on a morphine pump was quite easy and her passing was swift.

however below is the original Hippocratic Oath and although it is no longer required for doctors to swear even the modern watered down version I believe that all doctors should still be bound by it, and as such I have very strong objections to the medical profession being involved in killing.

We all have to have absolute trust in our doctors and therefore they must be bound by the principal of "I will do no harm"

To me this is the real problem with assisted suicide, who decided that the person seeking to end their life is not being pressured into it and who prescribes and administers the lethal drugs? please read the oath and think about it, I have and have no answer.

"I swear by Apollo, the healer, Asclepius, Hygieia, and Panacea, and I take to witness all the gods, all the goddesses, to keep according to my ability and my judgment, the following Oath and agreement:

To consider dear to me, as my parents, him who taught me this art; to live in common with him and, if necessary, to share my goods with him; To look upon his children as my own brothers, to teach them this art.

I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.

I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion.

But I will preserve the purity of my life and my arts.

I will not cut for stone, even for patients in whom the disease is manifest; I will leave this operation to be performed by practitioners, specialists in this art.

In every house where I come I will enter only for the good of my patients, keeping myself far from all intentional ill-doing and all seduction and especially from the pleasures of love with women or with men, be they free or slaves.

All that may come to my knowledge in the exercise of my profession or in daily commerce with men, which ought not to be spread abroad, I will keep secret and will never reveal.

If I keep this oath faithfully, may I enjoy my life and practice my art, respected by all men and in all times; but if I swerve from it or violate it, may the reverse be my lot."

I see ya point but life and laws have ta change too xx

The Forest

"Best thing to do is buy a dog-tag, place it around your neck, on both sides it says "Do Not Resussitate!" with your name and date of birth, then if you do get resussitated, sue them for the likely cost of your residual life! "

As per my earlier post, this wouldn't work, is not legally recognisable, and no court in the land would entertain suing the person who saved your life, it would set too dangerous a precedent.

The Forest

"I see ya point but life and laws have ta change too xx"

Laws may have changed, but life hasn't. Humans have an "in-built" survival instinct that evolution hasn't yet destroyed.

"I see ya point but life and laws have ta change too xx

Laws may have changed, but life hasn't. Humans have an "in-built" survival instinct that evolution hasn't yet destroyed."

Yes i know but please see an earlier post of mine xx

Forum Mod

O o O oo

To be honest, I think it happens at times in hospitals anyway. When my dad was dying in hospital the doctors asked us did we want them to save him the next time he arrested ( he had already arrested 4 times).

Even though after the event we all spoke about it and said we wanted to say no,he is dying anyway, don't save him, none of us could say it to the doctors. The next time he arrested he passed away, we assumed the doctors made the decision for us. They knew he was dying, why prolong it.

The same was asked to my cousin when his mum was dying.... the doctors know when it is time to stop helping the person stay alive when there isn't much hope and it lets the patients die with a bit of dignity.

all over the place

"To be honest, I think it happens at times in hospitals anyway. When my dad was dying in hospital the doctors asked us did we want them to save him the next time he arrested ( he had already arrested 4 times).

Even though after the event we all spoke about it and said we wanted to say no,he is dying anyway, don't save him, none of us could say it to the doctors. The next time he arrested he passed away, we assumed the doctors made the decision for us. They knew he was dying, why prolong it.

The same was asked to my cousin when his mum was dying.... the doctors know when it is time to stop helping the person stay alive when there isn't much hope and it lets the patients die with a bit of dignity."

yeah its that softly softly approach ,i am worried about disturbing by law ,after shipman the statistics are so carefully monitored now so i dont think it could be abused .

It is probably one of the hardest things as a society we have to get to grips with,the emotions all around are raw

moston

"To be honest, I think it happens at times in hospitals anyway. When my dad was dying in hospital the doctors asked us did we want them to save him the next time he arrested ( he had already arrested 4 times).

The same was asked to my cousin when his mum was dying.... the doctors know when it is time to stop helping the person stay alive when there isn't much hope and it lets the patients die with a bit of dignity."

I am sure you are correct, but I believe that we need a better system, and that one of the things it must do is remove the pressure from doctors to "play god", I truly believe that the doctors principal of "I will do no harm" (one that has proved itself over some 2500 years) should be reinstated and decisions about withholding treatment or bringing about early death need to be taken by non doctors.

» Add a new message to this topic