FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > suggestions for cuts??

suggestions for cuts??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

carryin on from wishys thread.....hey u never know maybe some political advisors on here and we can help them!!

the transportation of kids, i still think its wrong if someone has a mobility car for that child and can drive etc that LA (local authorities) are paying to transport them to schools that car is there for that child and to help with their day to day lives there no doubt they need it, public transport is not equipped enough for people with disabilities but why is millions of pounds be spent per year for somethin that is there for that child? it may be different in the cases where parents/carers dont drive but if a car and driver is there why is this money being spent?? xx

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'd be more worried about the dole for people not seeking work than punishing the disabled.

"I'd be more worried about the dole for people not seeking work than punishing the disabled."

no one mentioned punishing the disabled?? if you read the previous thread you would see the point im making?

yeah there def some people who will get a long service medal if they ever sign off!! x

Well its obvious that some families are given cars etc when its not essential and it could be judged better but I'm more interested in cutting job seekers allowance for those who aren't seeking. Lets go after them first.

Plus, they might have cars but what's to say that during school hours these parents aren't working, so are in need of the transport supplied.

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

"Well its obvious that some families are given cars etc when its not essential and it could be judged better but I'm more interested in cutting job seekers allowance for those who aren't seeking. Lets go after them first."

thats a bit harsh

there isn't work for everyone and even less since the invention of computers

call centres/banks/estate agents/travelagents all use much less staff as we all seem to book online

where do you suggest we get 3 million jobs from?

If you cut job seekers allowance we'll have to brick up our windows and doors and stay indoors

THOSE WHO AREN'T SEEKING

"Plus, they might have cars but what's to say that during school hours these parents aren't working, so are in need of the transport supplied."

because the car is for the childs use??

a mobility car is for the person intended, say you had your elderly mothers car and used it for work and got stopped by the police, they clock the exemption rd tax, your done if that person is not in the car as it is for their use not yours!

and before anyone accuses me of being discriminatory towards the disabled im not im just stating fact xx

I.E. benefit cheats.

"I.E. benefit cheats."

we had a cracker up here recently he fiddled 25k thats including housin benefit and council tax! he had been working full time at the local crematoriam for a few years and never signed off xx

Who said the driver used the mobility vehicle to drive to work, the car could be used in the evenings/weekends WITH the child.

ID cards already being scrapped....but there are plenty of quango's that can go

stamp duty land tax can be increased by at least a half percentage point for all homes over £300,000

Cut spending on overseas aid

raise capital gains tax on all those selling second/third homes

actively withdraw job seekers allowance for those not actually SEEKING work

reduce the levels of wastage in management staff in the public sector

"ID cards already being scrapped....but there are plenty of quango's that can go

stamp duty land tax can be increased by at least a half percentage point for all homes over £300,000

Cut spending on overseas aid

raise capital gains tax on all those selling second/third homes

actively withdraw job seekers allowance for those not actually SEEKING work

reduce the levels of wastage in management staff in the public sector

"

Good examples of where savings could be made, resources for the disabled should be at the bottom of lists for cuts.

Would never agree with unemployment benefit being cut unless there was other alternatives in place, although anyone who hasn't paid any national insurance contributions in the last 5 years should get a bare minimum.

Our neighbour has just been made redundant, he's single and gets around £60 per week, still has to pay for his prescriptions, dental treatment etc, and is left with £30 after paying fuel bills, try living on £30 a week, don't believe that all people on benefits get 25k a year like the media portray.

If they cut benefits, they'd turn to crime when theres no jobs for them to get, and its going to get worse before it gets any better, the only people that would suffer is the tax payer again, as they'd be paying the same tax, while replacing the contents of you're robbed house every other week.

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

I though everyone on job seekers allowance had to be seeking work and are forced into attending interviews that they have no skills for

i get annoyed when I read about cutting civil service/public sector management. a proportion of that management is due to the necessity to monitor and manage performance, performance indicators, targets, etc, brought about by Thatcher's introduction of the Financial Mangement Initiative. I did my Master's dissertaion on this so I know what I'm talking about.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Well its obvious that some families are given cars etc when its not essential and it could be judged better but I'm more interested in cutting job seekers allowance for those who aren't seeking. Lets go after them first."

There are a recorded 2.6 miilion people out of work...where are you going to get all these jobs to send these claimants to?

Or is Cameron going to lead this country out of the wilderness and magically create enough jobs for everyone?

"Would never agree with unemployment benefit being cut unless there was other alternatives in place, although anyone who hasn't paid any national insurance contributions in the last 5 years should get a bare minimum.

Our neighbour has just been made redundant, he's single and gets around £60 per week, still has to pay for his prescriptions, dental treatment etc, and is left with £30 after paying fuel bills, try living on £30 a week, don't believe that all people on benefits get 25k a year like the media portray.

If they cut benefits, they'd turn to crime when theres no jobs for them to get, and its going to get worse before it gets any better, the only people that would suffer is the tax payer again, as they'd be paying the same tax, while replacing the contents of you're robbed house every other week."

So we shouldn't police benefit fraud in fear of crime?

"Well its obvious that some families are given cars etc when its not essential and it could be judged better but I'm more interested in cutting job seekers allowance for those who aren't seeking. Lets go after them first.

There are a recorded 2.6 miilion people out of work...where are you going to get all these jobs to send these claimants to?

Or is Cameron going to lead this country out of the wilderness and magically create enough jobs for everyone?"

I'm talking about cutting allowance for those who aren't LOOKING for work.

Torquay

"Well its obvious that some families are given cars etc when its not essential and it could be judged better but I'm more interested in cutting job seekers allowance for those who aren't seeking. Lets go after them first.

Or is Cameron going to lead this country out of the wilderness and magically create enough jobs for everyone? I'm talking about cutting allowance for those who aren't LOOKING for work."

It's not easy to prove that people are not looking for work, as Job Centre workers find out every day....all the claimant has to do is state that they regularly read jobs adverts in newspapers and ring up about jobs.

You are falling into a Daily Mail way of thinking, propoganda fed to you by the Tory press about the unemployed.

By *illow and talkCouple  over a year ago

nr glasgow

"I'd be more worried about the dole for people not seeking work than punishing the disabled."
we dont call them mobility cars where we come from,we call them miracle cars,because once they get them the walking sticks and limps disappear

How bout Sum1 "CUT" my hair? lol lol ---or cut the roses back in my garden??

Or is Cameron going to lead this country out of the wilderness and magically create enough jobs for everyone? I'm talking about cutting allowance for those who aren't LOOKING for work.

It's not easy to prove that people are not looking for work, as Job Centre workers find out every day....all the claimant has to do is state that they regularly read jobs adverts in newspapers and ring up about jobs.

You are falling into a Daily Mail way of thinking, propoganda fed to you by the Tory press about the unemployed."

We're talking about change aren't we? It should be better policed, as in the current system should be changed to make it harder to defraud. I'm more worried about someone living off the state fraudulently than a disabled kid getting an extra biscuit at lunch.

I don't read the daily mail, so that ones dead in the water.

[Removed by poster at 13/05/10 15:58:08]

Torquay

Why name yourself after a Muslim Cleric who advocates the slaughter of British troops?

Did you think about it before deciding?

Or are you a fan?

yeah i agree with that good commet from that good chap.

3million immigrants since 1997 Why if we have no jobs for them?

Can any1 tell me When immigrants enter uk is the head of house hold only counted

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 13/05/10 16:02:22]

Whats to stop the government creating unpaid jobs that people on benefits have to do if they want to continue to receive benefits. I am not talking 40 hrs a week but maybe 16 for the first year and going up in the 2nd year.

from the channel tunnel!! lol

"Why name yourself after a Muslim Cleric who advocates the slaughter of British troops?

Or are you a fan?"

What's that got to do with the discussion? potential ff topic cheap shot rather than argue my actual point? There's more than one Abu Hamza if you'll research.

"I though everyone on job seekers allowance had to be seeking work and are forced into attending interviews that they have no skills for"

I recently decided that i should use job centre to look for work....they are hopeless and just say I have more idea of what I can do than they do.

They pay me around £65 per week, no help with council tax, mortgage etc etc so the money really is not worth having for the difference it makes to me personally.

I go every fortnight, tell them I'm looking and that is it.... no investigation as to whether or not i really am.

They offered a travel warrant for the interview in London next month. If I buy ticket now it's £70...otherwise it goes up to £210

They won't issue a warrant until the week I travel, therefore costing an extra £140.......another area of waste that could be sorted

Or is Cameron going to lead this country out of the wilderness and magically create enough jobs for everyone?"

2.6 million does not scratch the surface Millions either dont sign on ,self employed with no work those in full time eduction because they can't find work and those that have just given uphope

Torquay

3 Million Immigrants since 1997?

That includes those that have come....and left, it also includes those from the EU....who are legally in the country, that leaves a net figure of approx 1.2 million since 1997.

Considering that since 2001 alone over One million British Citizens are now living and or working abroad, it makes precious little difference does it?

"Whats to stop the government creating unpaid jobs that people on benefits have to do if they want to continue to receive benefits. I am not talking 40 hrs a week but maybe 16 for the first year and going up in the 2nd year."
too many claimants in the "I'm not doing that" team unfortunately.

Torquay

"Why name yourself after a Muslim Cleric who advocates the slaughter of British troops?

Or are you a fan?

What's that got to do with the discussion? potential ff topic cheap shot rather than argue my actual point? There's more than one Abu Hamza if you'll research."

Of course you named yourself Abu Hamza after the Abu Hamza that owns a chip shop in Leytonstone didn't you?

I think probably not.....You wanted to shock

Torquay

There is a school of thought that a new 'Citizens Army' or 'Citizens Workforce' could and should be established.

Maybe for a small premium on top of their Jobseekers the long term unemployed could be used to do some good in the country?

Or are you a fan?

What's that got to do with the discussion? potential ff topic cheap shot rather than argue my actual point? There's more than one Abu Hamza if you'll research.

Of course you named yourself Abu Hamza after the Abu Hamza that owns a chip shop in Leytonstone didn't you?

I think probably not.....You wanted to shock"

research it, I dare you.

But why was it raised? Cheap shot? Couldn't argue my point? Why? What relevance does it have to this discussion?

Torquay

Or are you a fan?

I think probably not.....You wanted to shock research it, I dare you.

But why was it raised? Cheap shot? Couldn't argue my point? Why? What relevance does it have to this discussion?"

Actually it's not a cheap shop for many on here who have friends and family serving their country in Afghanistan, you named yourself after the Hooked One because you thought it would be bit of a laugh....for many it's not a bit of a laugh at all.

You must have guessed that some might find it deeply offensive....

Anyway I have made my point, and I'll leave it at that.

Sorry, didn't see this thread. I'll repost in here. brb...

Or are you a fan?

But why was it raised? Cheap shot? Couldn't argue my point? Why? What relevance does it have to this discussion?"

I've googled Abu Hamza, the first three pages threw up the hook handed one, and I can't be arsed trawling through the rest. Give me a clue as to who you are referring to and I'll do a bit more reading. I'm not digging you out here, I'm genuinely interested as to who this other fella is.

Or are you a fan?

But why was it raised? Cheap shot? Couldn't argue my point? Why? What relevance does it have to this discussion?

Actually it's not a cheap shop for many on here who have friends and family serving their country in Afghanistan, you named yourself after the Hooked One because you thought it would be bit of a laugh....for many it's not a bit of a laugh at all.

You must have guessed that some might find it deeply offensive....

Anyway I have made my point, and I'll leave it at that."

So we've established you're point has no relevance to this topic? Politics and question dodging, I'm not surprised.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"3million immigrants since 1997 Why if we have no jobs for them?

Can any1 tell me When immigrants enter uk is the head of house hold only counted"

I love it when people almost mention immigrants when talking about his discussion because they always forget one thing...

There are 4.5 million uk nationals and citizens working abroad.... what do you send all those people home and you are still 1.5 million people up...

anyway... cost cuts.... this will make me popular...

I never did get the point of child benefit being universal.. do people at the top really need it? so for example, if you are on the higher tax band, or a joint income would take you into "high tax band land" eg £37.5k, I would take it away......

"Who said the driver used the mobility vehicle to drive to work, the car could be used in the evenings/weekends WITH the child."

ehh you did???? in the part what if the parents use the car for work????xx

The other thread got way too big cos of all the quoting of long passages of text, so if you want to quote a part of someone's post please take out anything that isn't relevant. I know we've all got lots to say and it's a great debate but there's no real need for quote and requote of the same long paragraphs. Thanks.

~~~~~~~

"From Pt.VI - Rugby said:

Lots of people have to travel for work......if they don't want to do the job, they could look for another.

"

True, many do, I am one of them, and if I had to pay for my own hotel & food it wouldn't be worthwhile me working. Plus, my company are making a lot of money for the work that I do and if I am required to work away for weeks on end, staying in room of a hotel and away from my family then they should pay a premium for that.

Politician's are no different and I don't subscribe to the idea that they should stay in the cheapest accomodation available. If they are meeting with their foreign counterparts I don't think it comes across very well as being the poor relation. In sensitive negotiations one needs to be alert and on the ball and a perception that the 'Brit is a cheapy' doesn't put our people on a sound footing to begin with.

"From Pt.VI - Rugby said:

It doesn't really answer the question though? If they are getting Mobility allowance for helping their child be mobile, then why the need for a council to pay someone to take them to school? Isn't that a double whammy?

Don't get me wrong, anyone who is disabled should in my opinion claiming for every thing they are entitled too, but this is getting something twice.

"

If an adult and a child in the same household are both registered as disabled then surely they are both entitled to help from the state. One is an adult and thus can drive, the other a child and cannot. Benefits must reflect that I would think, the adult entitled to a mobility car and the child for contract hire. The govt has met it's obligation to both citizens and is happy for them to organise their own lives as best suits them. That makes sense to me.

"Who said the driver used the mobility vehicle to drive to work, the car could be used in the evenings/weekends WITH the child.

ehh you did???? in the part what if the parents use the car for work????xx"

No I didn't, I said the parent could be at work and unavailable to drive the mobility vehicle during work hours.

Torquay

"3million immigrants since 1997 Why if we have no jobs for them?

Can any1 tell me When immigrants enter uk is the head of house hold only counted

I love it when people almost mention immigrants when talking about his discussion because they always forget one thing...

There are 4.5 million uk nationals and citizens working abroad.... what do you send all those people home and you are still 1.5 million people up...

anyway... cost cuts.... this will make me popular...

I never did get the point of child benefit being universal.. do people at the top really need it? so for example, if you are on the higher tax band, or a joint income would take you into "high tax band land" eg £37.5k, I would take it away......"

I too think that Child Benefit should be means tested, along with Winter Fuel Allowance for the elderly.

Child Tax Credits and Working Families Tax Credits should have a threshold set at £37.5k as well....

"Who said the driver used the mobility vehicle to drive to work, the car could be used in the evenings/weekends WITH the child.

ehh you did???? in the part what if the parents use the car for work????xxNo I didn't, I said the parent could be at work and unavailable to drive the mobility vehicle during work hours."

so the bus in needed, I understand how it was misunderstood.

"The other thread got way too big cos of all the quoting of long passages of text, so if you want to quote a part of someone's post please take out anything that isn't relevant. I know we've all got lots to say and it's a great debate but there's no real need for quote and requote of the same long paragraphs. Thanks.

~~~~~~~

From Pt.VI - Rugby said:

Lots of people have to travel for work......if they don't want to do the job, they could look for another.

True, many do, I am one of them, and if I had to pay for my own hotel & food it wouldn't be worthwhile me working. Plus, my company are making a lot of money for the work that I do and if I am required to work away for weeks on end, staying in room of a hotel and away from my family then they should pay a premium for that.

Politician's are no different and I don't subscribe to the idea that they should stay in the cheapest accomodation available. If they are meeting with their foreign counterparts I don't think it comes across very well as being the poor relation. In sensitive negotiations one needs to be alert and on the ball and a perception that the 'Brit is a cheapy' doesn't put our people on a sound footing to begin with.

From Pt.VI - Rugby said:

It doesn't really answer the question though? If they are getting Mobility allowance for helping their child be mobile, then why the need for a council to pay someone to take them to school? Isn't that a double whammy?

Don't get me wrong, anyone who is disabled should in my opinion claiming for every thing they are entitled too, but this is getting something twice.

If an adult and a child in the same household are both registered as disabled then surely they are both entitled to help from the state. One is an adult and thus can drive, the other a child and cannot. Benefits must reflect that I would think, the adult entitled to a mobility car and the child for contract hire. The govt has met it's obligation to both citizens and is happy for them to organise their own lives as best suits them. That makes sense to me."

too sensible wishy!! we want minimum state interference but we want everything thats goin too!!

im not sure of the exact amount that gets paid out on contracts but i made 500 quid a wk from it for 3 hrs work each day not takin into account the cost of license,diesel etc but its a lot of money when you think of the amount spent when in somecases there is a car and driver sittin at the door!!

my local authority is great at wastin money 50k on a lump of grass for inside the local musuem but we got a list of old folks waitin for adaptions to their houses or being told they cant get a home help xx

Torquay

The point wasn't about the Mobility component award for the child so much as the fact that the State is paying a rate of £70 plus Vat a day to have the child driven Six miles to school and back again.

The government pays the mother an award of approx £49 a week as the mobility component of DLA, the child has no problem with mobility Wishy...the child has learning problems and mild Autism.

The child runs around like a screaming banshee throughout the school holidays so mobility certainly isn't an issue.

This child runs more in a day than Forrest Gump did in his lifetime!

The Government also pays the road tax for the vehicle for the child along with a Blue Badge.

The mother drives past the disabled childs school every day when she drop her other child off at school....it's a ridiculous waste of resources....and this is coming from someone who would defend the welfare state to the death....

ehh you did???? in the part what if the parents use the car for work????xxNo I didn't, I said the parent could be at work and unavailable to drive the mobility vehicle during work hours. so the bus in needed, I understand how it was misunderstood."

its not a bus its a private hire taxi, i explained on the other thread if you want to have a look. it used to be LA bus that did the run but they contracted out private to save money xx

"There is a school of thought that a new 'Citizens Army' or 'Citizens Workforce' could and should be established.

Maybe for a small premium on top of their Jobseekers the long term unemployed could be used to do some good in the country?

"

Isn't that the equivelent to slavery though, surely if jobs need done they should be created, lets all be honest here, some people who work get more benefits paid to them than those who don't, look at tax credits for example, theres millions of people in this country who work but are paid more benefits each week than they would get if they were on unemployment benefit.

It's about time the government gave employers incentives to employ the unemployed for a set period, tax breaks, part payment of wages etc, rather than contract them out to multi million pound contractors who let them build paper bridges and feed them coffee and bisciuts all day whilst browsing facebook

Torquay

I made Cameron dead right on this...the Social Services budget got seriously out of control, or the way it was spent was.

ehh you did???? in the part what if the parents use the car for work????xxNo I didn't, I said the parent could be at work and unavailable to drive the mobility vehicle during work hours. so the bus in needed, I understand how it was misunderstood.

its not a bus its a private hire taxi, i explained on the other thread if you want to have a look. it used to be LA bus that did the run but they contracted out private to save money xx"

Well it must be case by case, we still have the disabled buses here. Maybe tax/cost breaks on their own car would be better than a new car every X amount of years. I still would prefer to make cuts elsewhere first. I.E this grass malarky!

a lot of the problem was the cost savin measure of closing institutions and the legislation that came with it.

im all for care in the community and dont think anyone should be locked away and as many of you know, iv worked in care for years but the problem is care packages dont come cheap! i think they thought most people the families would take care of them but for lots of people they had been shoved away for that long that they had lost touch with family.

firstly there was gettin a tenancy in the social housing sector then furnishin a home then the care package itself last bit i worked for it was £20 n hr they received, the workers on bare minimum wage then the cost of social workers, benefits etc i dont think anyone ever accounted for just how much money was goin to be needed and to be honest i really dont know how they can cut that part xx

ehh you did???? in the part what if the parents use the car for work????xxNo I didn't, I said the parent could be at work and unavailable to drive the mobility vehicle during work hours. so the bus in needed, I understand how it was misunderstood.

its not a bus its a private hire taxi, i explained on the other thread if you want to have a look. it used to be LA bus that did the run but they contracted out private to save money xx Well it must be case by case, we still have the disabled buses here. Maybe tax/cost breaks on their own car would be better than a new car every X amount of years. I still would prefer to make cuts elsewhere first. I.E this grass malarky!"

some LA's still use the buses for adults with learning disabilities and older folks to the resource centres but the majority contracted out most of the work to private firms in a cost cutting measure that backfired big time!

xx

See theres 1200 nhs jobs gone in Glasgow, over 600 of them nurses, that a good way to start... NOT

jesus!! thats a bloody big cut!! why the hell are they still encouragin people to do nursing if there not goin to be a job at the end of it?? i know some go into private nursing but not as many as nhs xx

Imagine its going to be a nationwide thing for the nhs, the early blame will be aimed towards councils rather than the governments so a very easy target for cuts.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"The other thread got way too big cos of all the quoting of long passages of text, so if you want to quote a part of someone's post please take out anything that isn't relevant. I know we've all got lots to say and it's a great debate but there's no real need for quote and requote of the same long paragraphs. Thanks.

~~~~~~~

From Pt.VI - Rugby said:

From Pt.VI - Rugby said:

If an adult and a child in the same household are both registered as disabled then surely they are both entitled to help from the state. One is an adult and thus can drive, the other a child and cannot. Benefits must reflect that I would think, the adult entitled to a mobility car and the child for contract hire. The govt has met it's obligation to both citizens and is happy for them to organise their own lives as best suits them. That makes sense to me."

We were not talking about an adult plus child being disabled in a household Wishy.

I was talking about a child who's Mobility allowance pays for a car that her parents use to transport their child about.

To then have a taxi being paid for by I am assuming council or LEA to take the child to school, then what is the Mobility car for? It is costing twice the money.

By *illow and talkCouple  over a year ago

nr glasgow

"Imagine its going to be a nationwide thing for the nhs, the early blame will be aimed towards councils rather than the governments so a very easy target for cuts."
over 3000 RBS job cuts announced by government owned bank this week

Torquay

That's my argument too Rugby, I am a strong supporter of Social Welfare and the rights and suitable benefits for disabled people, but this woman (a very nice woman by the way) drives the car that the State pays £49 a week towards, pays the Tax for, past the special needs school to get her other child to their school.

I have even seen her on many mornings following the Taxi to the Special Needs school on her trip to the Private school which is on the same road.

It beggars belief, she has absolutely no excuse as she doesn't work.

Then you read about another poor soul who struggles to get DLA when he comes back from Afghanistan with terrible combat injuries....

Torquay

"Imagine its going to be a nationwide thing for the nhs, the early blame will be aimed towards councils rather than the governments so a very easy target for cuts.over 3000 RBS job cuts announced by government owned bank this week "

To me that's good housekeeping, they need to get the bank making sufficient money to pay hefty shareholders dividends to the government.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"I though everyone on job seekers allowance had to be seeking work and are forced into attending interviews that they have no skills for"

not in the least. i signed on for 6 months to get my NHI credits ( to which i was entitled after working 30 years )

they weren't in the least interested in a) helping me find me a job or b) asking what efforts i had made

they weren't very happy either when i said i can't sign next week when i'm on holiday in France.( booked and paid for a year earlier )

It turns out that had i not told them i would, in my naivety, been guilty of criminal fraud. jeez

all for a single guys total of £54 i think

now if only i had a sex change and a few kids.

Bradford

"i get annoyed when I read about cutting civil service/public sector management. a proportion of that management is due to the necessity to monitor and manage performance, performance indicators, targets, etc, brought about by Thatcher's introduction of the Financial Mangement Initiative. I did my Master's dissertaion on this so I know what I'm talking about."

cut out the time wasted on pointless emails, both work and "funnies" and you've got yer 20% efficiency

i trust you got a 1st.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"That's my argument too Rugby, I am a strong supporter of Social Welfare and the rights and suitable benefits for disabled people, but this woman (a very nice woman by the way) drives the car that the State pays £49 a week towards, pays the Tax for, past the special needs school to get her other child to their school.

I have even seen her on many mornings following the Taxi to the Special Needs school on her trip to the Private school which is on the same road.

It beggars belief, she has absolutely no excuse as she doesn't work.

Then you read about another poor soul who struggles to get DLA when he comes back from Afghanistan with terrible combat injuries...."

Exactly what point I was trying to make but one I think I failed at.

I think they are just taking the piss, and the money could be spent on something else if eveyone who has Mobility cars used them for the purpose they are intended.

Bradford

Government statistics, taking the piss?

for example,

a few years ago i completed an annual ONS business form, maybe 4 sides, five mins to complete

couple years later it expands to about 70 pages ( well a lot anyway ) , full of pointless questions, admin systems didnt even keep enough data to answer them, pointless waste

The census, whilst a good thing,:

i heard that the next one, 2011 is it?, it was suggested that you had to list all those "other people" that had stayed in your house overnight. What the FUCK for?

I even read that you can now do degrees in pointless governmental interference schemes, sorry data collection, more than likely to create more of the same

get cracking Dave and team is what i say

im the same, im all for wefare etc at decent levels but some people just rip the hole outta of it!!x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I would cut back on family allowance or what ever its called nowadays. Everyone with a child/children is in automatic receipt of it until there child/children leave school. Now many people rely on it but im sure people on over 40k per year dont. I would have a cut of point of income where your not in receipt not a low one but one where they dont need the money

"

i trust you got a 1st."

Actually, yes, I got a distinction and the highest mark ever seen in the Department for a postgraduate thesis.

"

i heard that the next one, 2011 is it?, it was suggested that you had to list all those "other people" that had stayed in your house overnight. What the FUCK for?

"

Actually that's ALWAYS been the case in Censuses going back many years

[Removed by poster at 13/05/10 18:45:40]

"See theres 1200 nhs jobs gone in Glasgow, over 600 of them nurses, that a good way to start... NOT"

How the fook can that be attributed to a day old government? The planning for these job cuts must have been started months ago, under a LABOUR government.

If you're going to have a go at the government at least make sure it's the right one you're having a go at.

"

I was talking about a child who's Mobility allowance pays for a car that her parents use to transport their child about.

To then have a taxi being paid for by I am assuming council or LEA to take the child to school, then what is the Mobility car for? It is costing twice the money."

Ok, I must have missed that bit, I thought both adult and child were receiving mobility benefits. If that's not the case then it should be looked at, as, like you say, it's a double hit.

next personal favourite of mine...... the amount spent on trivial things by LA's tea and bloody biscuits?? if i had a meetin at work we all chipped in and bought them!!

i know it sounds trivial but think of the amount of all the LA's across the country....!xx

"Imagine its going to be a nationwide thing for the nhs, the early blame will be aimed towards councils rather than the governments so a very easy target for cuts.

over 3000 RBS job cuts announced by government owned bank this week "

Would you mind clarifying where this has come from as I've searched google for '3,000 RBS jobs cut' and it was announced on the BBC website in November 2008.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7728596.stm

~

There is another reference to 9,000 worldwide jobs at RBS to be cut, but this was also on the BBC website on 7th April. Over a month ago.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7988002.stm

"

Actually that's ALWAYS been the case in Censuses going back many years"

Being our family's historian, the Census rule that all occupants should be listed that were in the house the night before the Census is a royal pain in the arse! People should give their normal place of residence and if they are visitors then that should be noted, along with their usual address.

ok i must be the only sad git that likes the census and the statistics that come with it!! x

The fact is there is no incentives to go out and look for work Income support £300 a fortnight plus child benefits for two children plus rent paid and council tax paid for. You earn more on the social than you do having a part time job that fits around the kids.

By *exeteraWoman  over a year ago

Bridgend

"Imagine its going to be a nationwide thing for the nhs, the early blame will be aimed towards councils rather than the governments so a very easy target for cuts.

over 3000 RBS job cuts announced by government owned bank this week

Would you mind clarifying where this has come from as I've searched google for '3,000 RBS jobs cut' and it was announced on the BBC website in November 2008.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7728596.stm

~

There is another reference to 9,000 worldwide jobs at RBS to be cut, but this was also on the BBC website on 7th April. Over a month ago.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7988002.stm"

There was something about RBS job cuts in my mate's paper yesterday. The dogs have pissed over it so I can't double check sorry

"carryin on from wishys thread.....hey u never know maybe some political advisors on here and we can help them!!

the transportation of kids, i still think its wrong if someone has a mobility car for that child and can drive etc that LA (local authorities) are paying to transport them to schools that car is there for that child and to help with their day to day lives there no doubt they need it, public transport is not equipped enough for people with disabilities but why is millions of pounds be spent per year for somethin that is there for that child? it may be different in the cases where parents/carers dont drive but if a car and driver is there why is this money being spent?? xx"

If you refuse 2 work when capable your benefits are canceled .No more economic migrants .Illigals removed .better education and training for work for the young in schools better and more adult training ,therefor better equiped for work (no excuses)

Increase VAT to 20% a fair tax the more you spnd the more tax you pay ! Very fair!

No reduction in overses aid ,but monies to be put to better use any country devloping or stock piling nuclear weapons denied overseas aid

Withdraw from afganistan asap help develop that country take it outof the dark ages .

Stop exporting British jobs.

Cut waste in goverment .

Cut waste in coucils .

Bridgend

"The fact is there is no incentives to go out and look for work Income support £300 a fortnight plus child benefits for two children plus rent paid and council tax paid for. You earn more on the social than you do having a part time job that fits around the kids."

Yep, living on benefits is a doddle.

I get the grand total of £65.45 a week, agreed I don't have to pay council tax (£14) per week. I'm also lucky enough to get £76 per week paid towards my mortgage. The shortfall each month for my mortgage is £373, DWP only pay for the original loan, silly me I built an extension to accommodate my disabled dad who moved in with me after my mum passed away and it also provided an additional downstairs loo as I have a back problem and Crohn's disease. This however I have to find myself. I also have a 17yr old daughter who is not in education but to her credit has spent the last year looking for work. I'm obviously not entitled to child benefit as she's no longer in scchool and not in further education but hey ho I have to provide for both of us out of £65.45 a week. Yes there probably are some jobs out there but no-one is going to take them if they're going to be worse off.

"Increase VAT to 20% a fair tax the more you spnd the more tax you pay ! Very fair!

The problem with VAT and with ALL indirect taxation is that everybody pays it, at equal amounts, whether they earn £100 per week or £10000 per week. ."

"Withdraw from afganistan asap help develop that country take it outof the dark ages .

"

OK - we get out of Afghanistan - the Taliban take over - and then they take over in Pakistan - and Pakistan has nuclear weapons. Would you really like to see the Taliban with a nuclear capacity?

"Stop exporting British jobs.

"

And who exports Britiah jobs? - why, it's the private sector looking to see where they can pay the lowest wages in sweatshops, etc

"See theres 1200 nhs jobs gone in Glasgow, over 600 of them nurses, that a good way to start... NOT

How the fook can that be attributed to a day old government? The planning for these job cuts must have been started months ago, under a LABOUR government.

If you're going to have a go at the government at least make sure it's the right one you're having a go at. "

Who said they were made by a day old government? YOU? certainly wasn't me

"See theres 1200 nhs jobs gone in Glasgow, over 600 of them nurses, that a good way to start... NOT

If you're going to have a go at the government at least make sure it's the right one you're having a go at.

Who said they were made by a day old government? YOU? certainly wasn't me "

You inferred it was a recent decision.

"Good way to start...NOT" - don't play word games with us, you know what you were trying to do.

"Good way to start...NOT" - don't play word games with us, you know what you were trying to do. "

Thats because it was recent, they were told this morning, thought this was about cuts that are coming our way and not whos responsible for making them.

"Good way to start...NOT" - don't play word games with us, you know what you were trying to do.

Thats because it was recent, they were told this morning, thought this was about cuts that are coming our way and not whos responsible for making them."

So why make the inferrence then? Why didn't you just leave it at: "See theres 1200 nhs jobs gone in Glasgow, over 600 of them nurses"

as a lone parent i would rather work for 20 quid above benefits and have my pride than get called a scrounger and everythin else!!

i didnt have great qualifications when i left school but enough to get me a job and at 26 went into college done social care got a job went back to college done hnc in social care worked for a while then went to uni i believe that further education plays a very important role and should be accesible to all, why not cut the benefits replace them with bursary or somethin along those lines, and creche places in colleges/unis then that solves the childcare problem plus givin some kids a head start plus provides training for people who want to work in childcare, as well as providing jobs for teachin staff etc and providing a workforce thats qualified x

Bradford

"See theres 1200 nhs jobs gone in Glasgow, over 600 of them nurses, that a good way to start... NOT"

Sad as it is, you can't blame DavNick for these cuts, they've been in planning for a long time and would've happened even if old Brownie had miraculously(sp?) got back in.

Bradford

"

Actually that's ALWAYS been the case in Censuses going back many years"

has it fuck, ive never had to list overnight guests.

Bradford

"

i trust you got a 1st.

Actually, yes, I got a distinction and the highest mark ever seen in the Department for a postgraduate thesis."

well done you, i think DavNick may have need for you.

"So why make the inferrence then? Why didn't you just leave it at: "See theres 1200 nhs jobs gone in Glasgow, over 600 of them nurses""

Because this thread is about cuts, these cuts started today, hence the, good way to start... NOT comment, and that's because we all knew they were coming, still not sure where you get the impression it was aimed at the new government, especially when it was the SNP that supposedly made these cuts supposedly.

"as a lone parent i would rather work for 20 quid above benefits and have my pride than get called a scrounger and everythin else!!

i didnt have great qualifications when i left school but enough to get me a job and at 26 went into college done social care got a job went back to college done hnc in social care worked for a while then went to uni i believe that further education plays a very important role and should be accesible to all, why not cut the benefits replace them with bursary or somethin along those lines, and creche places in colleges/unis then that solves the childcare problem plus givin some kids a head start plus provides training for people who want to work in childcare, as well as providing jobs for teachin staff etc and providing a workforce thats qualified x"

What a good attitude i wish all were like you

Bradford

"Stop exporting British jobs.

And who exports Britiah jobs? - why, it's the private sector looking to see where they can pay the lowest wages in sweatshops, etc"

jeezuz, your first and distinction were easily earned

education : case proven

i recalll a major welsh council "exported" it jobs, council tax collection and the like overseas.

what worth excessive data collection when it is so obviously wrong, by design?

Bradford

Anyone else know of this, Bolton or Bury, perhaps peeps can clarify.

The family thought it so ridiculous THEY took it to the local paper.

A 14/15 yr old youth obtained a qualification for , wait for this, catching a bus.

His younger brother failed, apparently one requirement was to look out the window and observe. The youngster preferred his mp3.

If the cost of the qualification was a 50p certificate fair enough, but the cost to the public purse would have been hundreds if not thousands of pounds.

Over to you Mike, lancaster?

Bradford

A popular suggestion?

Stop council busybodies including coppers pestering the likes of doggers.

I'm not a dogger, but if its out of the way, consensual then why not.

Might not save cash but it will release them for better tasks.

On a lighter note anyone see the homemade "tourist" sign for a dogging area recently, Gloucester way. Class.

Bradford

"as a lone parent i would rather work for 20 quid above benefits and have my pride than get called a scrounger and everythin else!!

i didnt have great qualifications when i left school but enough to get me a job and at 26 went into college done social care got a job went back to college done hnc in social care worked for a while then went to uni i believe that further education plays a very important role and should be accesible to all, why not cut the benefits replace them with bursary or somethin along those lines, and creche places in colleges/unis then that solves the childcare problem plus givin some kids a head start plus provides training for people who want to work in childcare, as well as providing jobs for teachin staff etc and providing a workforce thats qualified x

What a good attitude i wish all were like you "

and if you can do it, wht cant thousands of todays youngsters?

Bradford

Anyone mentionned paying £30 a week to kids to stay on at school?

That should save quite a few bob, there again tax takings on alcohol will go down a bit.

"

That should save quite a few bob, there again tax takings on alcohol will go down a bit."

why pay them, when they could just increase the leaving age to 18, but either way, you would need loads more schools and loads more teachers, that would increase spending rather than cut it.

"

That should save quite a few bob, there again tax takings on alcohol will go down a bit."

the education maintenence allowance is a great thing i think personally, for kids in low income families it helps them stay on at school and get some standard grades or highers, whatever they call them now and they only get it weekly if they have attended all wk that 30 quid is a great help to some families and if it keeps them in school and not hangin about the streets all the better, and if it leads to further education possibly college or uni then its money well spent in my eyes anyway x

"

That should save quite a few bob, there again tax takings on alcohol will go down a bit.

why pay them, when they could just increase the leaving age to 18, but either way, you would need loads more schools and loads more teachers, that would increase spending rather than cut it."

i think they should be able to leave at 14 if they goin on a vocational training course ie plumbing, electrician whatever, some kids dont do great in a school enviroment as they cant cope with the brain work but excell at other areas such as mechanical things etc xx

"

why pay them, when they could just increase the leaving age to 18, but either way, you would need loads more schools and loads more teachers, that would increase spending rather than cut it.

i think they should be able to leave at 14 if they goin on a vocational training course ie plumbing, electrician whatever, some kids dont do great in a school enviroment as they cant cope with the brain work but excell at other areas such as mechanical things etc xx"

I totally agree in theory, but if every unemployed person went to college and university we would need to build a few hundred more, learning is good, but once its finished, where would they find a job? It would be good getting 900,000 trained doctors, but not so when there’s only 100,000 vacancies to fill, would hate to get a diploma only to find i had to work in tescos because of the high mumbers of educated people in any given field and but not enough jobs.

fair point and thats how it is just now for some graduates even with good degrees like accountancy!!

there is always complaints that we have got a skills gap so maybe having the option could fill some of the gap im not sayin that everyone would want a degree or that education is for everyone but its always an option!

if i could find the magic solution for unemployment i would be worth millions lol xx

Bridgend

"

i think they should be able to leave at 14 if they goin on a vocational training course ie plumbing, electrician whatever, some kids dont do great in a school enviroment as they cant cope with the brain work but excell at other areas such as mechanical things etc xx

I totally agree in theory, but if every unemployed person went to college and university we would need to build a few hundred more, learning is good, but once its finished, where would they find a job? It would be good getting 900,000 trained doctors, but not so when there’s only 100,000 vacancies to fill, would hate to get a diploma only to find i had to work in tescos because of the high mumbers of educated people in any given field and but not enough jobs."

A situation I remember well, my Aunt and her bf left Uni with degrees and both ended up working behind a bar as that was the only work they could find.

Torquay

I loved the bit about getting our troops out of Afghanistan and concentrating on helping the population.

It's a bit like all the old wives tales about us being there because the Americans want to build a major Gas Pipeline through the country.

We are there because if we do not fight the Taliban in Afghanistan now we will be fighting them in Pakistan within a couple of years when they overthrow the very fragile Pakistan government and military, which is already deeply infiltrated with extremists.

Then we will have a Taliban with Nuclear Weapons, Pakistan is estimated to have in excess of 60 Nuclear warheads.

Oh and regarding the Gas Pipeline.....going from where exactly, via Afghanistan to where exactly?

There is no pipeline....it's an urban myth.

Torquay

And throwing out all the illegal Immigrants.....Stop Press, there are an estimated One Million illegals in this country.....and we don't know who they are or where they are, so how the feck do we throw them out?

"

i think they should be able to leave at 14 if they goin on a vocational training course ie plumbing, electrician whatever, some kids dont do great in a school enviroment as they cant cope with the brain work but excell at other areas such as mechanical things etc xx"

Absolutely - gone have the times when intelligence was measured in the categories of language and maths alone. There is a lot of potential to be uncovered and nurtured in people who do NOT think conventionally, for example those with dyslexia and ADHD (sorry I have to mention it and I am only doing so to illustrate a point) but they would traditionally not do well in the traditional subjects and skills. I agree with you entirely

"And throwing out all the illegal Immigrants.....Stop Press, there are an estimated One Million illegals in this country.....and we don't know who they are or where they are, so how the feck do we throw them out?

"

I am legal - I promise!!!!

Torquay

Stop exporting British Jobs?

These are the jobs of PRIVATE COMPANIES, no government has any power over where people like Dyson or Morphy Richards have there goods manufactured, it is there choice where to have stuff made as they own the companies...Not the government.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"And throwing out all the illegal Immigrants.....Stop Press, there are an estimated One Million illegals in this country.....and we don't know who they are or where they are, so how the feck do we throw them out?

"

Its the one think that makes me smile that. How can you throw them out if you have no idea who they are

Bridgend

Its the one think that makes me smile that. How can you throw them out if you have no idea who they are "

You just ask them to hold their hands up lol

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

"I loved the bit about getting our troops out of Afghanistan and concentrating on helping the population.

It's a bit like all the old wives tales about us being there because the Americans want to build a major Gas Pipeline through the country.

We are there because if we do not fight the Taliban in Afghanistan now we will be fighting them in Pakistan within a couple of years when they overthrow the very fragile Pakistan government and military, which is already deeply infiltrated with extremists.

Then we will have a Taliban with Nuclear Weapons, Pakistan is estimated to have in excess of 60 Nuclear warheads.

Oh and regarding the Gas Pipeline.....going from where exactly, via Afghanistan to where exactly?

"

Yes, but if Tony Blair went into Iraq and Afghanistan because of a perceived threat, why hasn't he also gone into Iran or North Korea?. Well dont bother answering that because we know why we went into Iraq - it's currently £1.20 a litre at my local garage.

"Oh and regarding the Gas Pipeline.....going from where exactly, via Afghanistan to where exactly?

"

Correct, there is no pipeline, at the moment.

The original project for the Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline (TAP) started in March 1995 when an inaugural memorandum of understanding between the governments of Turkmenistan and Pakistan for a pipeline project was signed. In August 1996, the Central Asia Gas Pipeline, Ltd. (CentGas) consortium for construction of a pipeline, led by U.S. oil company, Unocal was formed. On 27 October 1997, CentGas was incorporated in formal signing ceremonies in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan by several international oil companies along with the Government of Turkmenistan. In January 1998, the Taliban, selecting CentGas over Argentinian competitor Bridas Corporation, signed an agreement that allowed the proposed project to proceed. In June 1998, Russian Gazprom relinquished its 10% stake in the project. Unocal withdrew from the consortium on 8 December 1998.

The new deal on the pipeline was signed on 27 December 2002 by the leaders of Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan. In 2005, the Asian Development Bank submitted the final version of a feasibility study designed by British company Penspen. ‘Since the US-led offensive that ousted the Taliban from power,’ reported Forbes in 2005, "the project has been revived and drawn strong US support" as it would allow the Central Asian republics to export energy to Western markets "without relying on Russian routes". Then-US Ambassador to Turkmenistan Ann Jacobsen noted that: "We are seriously looking at the project, and it is quite possible that American companies will join it." Due to increasing instability, the project has essentially stalled; construction of the Turkmen part was supposed to start in 2006, but the overall feasibility is questionable since the southern part of the Afghan section runs through territory which continues to be under de facto Taliban control.

On 24 April 2008, Pakistan, India and Afghanistan signed a framework agreement to buy natural gas from Turkmenistan.

So, yes, it doesn't exist, but it's no urban myth, it WILL exist once areas under Taliban control have been regained. Unless you mean that the urban myth is that it already exists, in which case please ignore my post lol

Bradford

I am legal - I promise!!!! "

Over 16, well i never.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Its the one think that makes me smile that. How can you throw them out if you have no idea who they are "

Make a national DNA data base with everyone on it, make everyone carry their ID card at all times, and have checks. If you don't have an ID card you get arrested, we will soon catch them all

Oh sorry we cant to that as Dave has scrapped ID cards to save money! LoL

Its the one think that makes me smile that. How can you throw them out if you have no idea who they are

Make a national DNA data base with everyone on it, make everyone carry their ID card at all times, and have checks. If you don't have an ID card you get arrested, we will soon catch them all

Oh sorry we cant to that as Dave has scrapped ID cards to save money! LoL"

one of the few things i actually agree with him on!!

i have a driving licence with my photo and details on it, i have my passport with it on it, i have more form of id than i need and im not payin 90 quid for another piece of bloody plastic to clog up my purse with then god knows how much to replace it if i lose it!

xx

"

Oh sorry we cant to that as Dave has scrapped ID cards to save money! LoL"

What great idea! Let's arrest anyone who doesn't have an ID card with them, say at Glastonbury for example..

Now, where shall we put them all whilst we check out their identity?

Wembley? Nice big area for holding thousands of people. That'll do nicely. Make a nice big concentration camp won't it.

Incidentally, do you agree that we should lock up their children with them too?

It's been Labour policy for years to lock up the children of illegal immigrants (one that the Conservatives are going to put an end to immediately).

There's nothing like a good old bit of neo-nazi roundups to start the day, is there. Wonderful stuff!

"

What great idea! Let's arrest anyone who doesn't have an ID card with them, say at Glastonbury for example..

Wembley? Nice big area for holding thousands of people. That'll do nicely. Make a nice big concentration camp won't it.

It's been Labour policy for years to lock up the children of illegal immigrants (one that the Conservatives are going to put an end to immediately).

There's nothing like a good old bit of neo-nazi roundups to start the day, is there. Wonderful stuff!"

i totally disagree with the locking up of children in dungavel etc, but where are they to go?? seperate them from their parents even more trauma? where are they goin to be placed? social services at breaking point, plus not many will be culturally aware or speak the childs language?? special childrens homes for them whilst there parents are locked up elsewhere??

xx

"

i totally disagree with the locking up of children in dungavel etc, but where are they to go?? seperate them from their parents even more trauma? where are they goin to be placed? social services at breaking point, plus not many will be culturally aware or speak the childs language?? special childrens homes for them whilst there parents are locked up elsewhere??

xx"

Which puts the focus straight back on stopping them getting here in the first place. I'm in favour of processing centres in their countries of origin (I know we don't know where some of them come from but we have a pretty good guess, so we set up centres in all the known immigrant crossing hotspots).

This island cannot support a endless deluge of immigrants from the Eurozone forever - something will give first, and that's when the whole issue of whether we should be in Europe or out of it will really come to the fore.

Creaking NHS services, a huge increase in DSS payments - they all put a huge strain on an already empty public purse and I think the govt should not only cap the level of immigrants from non-Euro countries but inc the Eurozone too.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"

xx

Which puts the focus straight back on stopping them getting here in the first place. I'm in favour of processing centres in their countries of origin (I know we don't know where some of them come from but we have a pretty good guess, so we set up centres in all the known immigrant crossing hotspots).

This island cannot support a endless deluge of immigrants from the Eurozone forever - something will give first, and that's when the whole issue of whether we should be in Europe or out of it will really come to the fore.

Creaking NHS services, a huge increase in DSS payments - they all put a huge strain on an already empty public purse and I think the govt should not only cap the level of immigrants from non-Euro countries but inc the Eurozone too."

the euro zone is "hands off" after lisbon mate ..

I wonder if Dave can get cleggy to agree to give us that referendum Dave was so keen to have when in opposition ..

i think not ...lol......

they will never change the eurozone as it would damage us as a country both financially and other ways!

there no doubt kids being locked up is wrong i totally abhorr the idea, but they need to be with their parents and most centres are only meant to be for a short time until they are removed.

its the ones who have been here for years waitin on a decision, living in communities, making links in these communities, being educated and then woken with a dawn raid and placed in these centres for undeterminable length of time its wrong! the full system needs an overhaul xx

Welfare cycle of life I have just ran into a friend from school she has 6 children all raised on welfare and she just informs me that her 15 year old is pregnant proud as punch showing me the scan. Why dont the government put a cap on baby farming.

"Welfare cycle of life I have just ran into a friend from school she has 6 children all raised on welfare and she just informs me that her 15 year old is pregnant proud as punch showing me the scan. Why dont the government put a cap on baby farming."

a friend of mine proudly announced earlier this year that she is now a grandmother, she's only 36

"Welfare cycle of life I have just ran into a friend from school she has 6 children all raised on welfare and she just informs me that her 15 year old is pregnant proud as punch showing me the scan. Why dont the government put a cap on baby farming.

a friend of mine proudly announced earlier this year that she is now a grandmother, she's only 36 "

i would actually die of embarrasement!!

there was a woman in hospital with me child number 7!! father number 5! neither worked a day in their life and were better dressed than me!!

the welfare state needs reigning in but how do we do it?? xx

pssst... forced sterilisation of child who don't pass their sats.

{runs for cover} hehehe

"pssst... forced sterilisation of child who don't pass their sats.

{runs for cover} hehehe "

how is uncle adolph these days??? xxx

{runs for cover} hehehe "

hahaha, running with you

{runs for cover} hehehe

how is uncle adolph these days??? xxx "

forced sterilisation is an idea hitler poached from the USA

{runs for cover} hehehe

forced sterilisation is an idea hitler poached from the USA"

after the last few mornings watchin jeremy kyle im comin round to the idea...... xx

{runs for cover} hehehe

after the last few mornings watchin jeremy kyle im comin round to the idea...... xx"

i thought just one episode would have been enough

{runs for cover} hehehe

after the last few mornings watchin jeremy kyle im comin round to the idea...... xx

i thought just one episode would have been enough "

what can i say?? im a glutton for punishment!!

one way to help cut unemployment put it on every channel for 12 hrs a day!! x

"what can i say?? im a glutton for punishment!!

one way to help cut unemployment put it on every channel for 12 hrs a day!! x "

Yeap, that would deffo get you off the couch and job hunting

{runs for cover} hehehe

i thought just one episode would have been enough

what can i say?? im a glutton for punishment!!

one way to help cut unemployment put it on every channel for 12 hrs a day!! x "

The suicide rate would increase twenty fold...problem solved...unless it provides more reason for him to drag toothless hillbillies on to his show to humiliate them on national tv

disclaimer at bottom sayin if you appear you get shot after the show.... its a winner!!! xx

[Removed by poster at 14/05/10 13:12:05]

"

There's nothing like a good old bit of neo-nazi roundups to start the day, is there. Wonderful stuff!"

there a bit in the times online about the holding of children in immigration removal centres and it was a libdem policy and snp, but snp couldnt do anythin about it because immigration is dealt with from westminster. 1 point to the lib dems xx

The LD's have got a lot of their manifesto policies through in the coalition. I've said before, watch out for Clegg, he's no pushover.

"The LD's have got a lot of their manifesto policies through in the coalition. I've said before, watch out for Clegg, he's no pushover."

iv no read it yet , its on my to do list honestly!! x

Should cap welfare/child benefit to just two children. Where is it china or japan that they are only allowed two children per household to curb population

"Should cap welfare/child benefit to just two children. Where is it china or japan that they are only allowed two children per household to curb population"

we had a decreasing birth rate and high older population rate at one point dont know what its like now though no looked for a while x

Or is Cameron going to lead this country out of the wilderness and magically create enough jobs for everyone? I'm talking about cutting allowance for those who aren't LOOKING for work."

When was the last time you were unemployed?

Plus,your of an age were getting a job is easier than if you were in your mid 40's +.

So its easy to be smug and self rightious.

"The LD's have got a lot of their manifesto policies through in the coalition. I've said before, watch out for Clegg, he's no pushover.

iv no read it yet , its on my to do list honestly!! x"

If they implement half of what's in the coalition agreement I think you'd be pleased. It's very good stuff.... and trust me, a bloody long way from Thatcherism, I promise you.

Torquay

"

So what do you suggest (and what does Cameron suggest) we do with the children of illegal Immigrants?

You can't release the children without releasing the parents....you release the parents and then they and the children will dissapear into back street basement slums and into the black economy.

Its a toss-up between lowering benefits. reducing services or increase taxes. The fairest is a bit of everything.

"

There's nothing like a good old bit of neo-nazi roundups to start the day, is there. Wonderful stuff!

So what do you suggest (and what does Cameron suggest) we do with the children of illegal Immigrants?

You can't release the children without releasing the parents....you release the parents and then they and the children will dissapear into back street basement slums and into the black economy."

If they are illegal then hear the case quick and then stay or deport.

Torquay

"Its a toss-up between lowering benefits. reducing services or increase taxes. The fairest is a bit of everything."

There is a minimum income guarantee for citizens of this country, you cannot cut benefits without plunging many hundreds of thousands of children into severe poverty.

It's 2010, we have left those days well behind.

Also if you cut the benefits of people it will result in a massive increase in burglaries and robberies...unless of course you expect people to starve?

[Removed by poster at 14/05/10 19:18:27]

"Also if you cut the benefits of people it will result in a massive increase in burglaries and robberies...unless of course you expect people to starve?"

That's just plain scare-mongering. We heard plenty of that during the three debates on TV, now look where they are... Brown gone and Cameron & Clegg setting up home together. I'm sorry Jane but your point above has no statistics to back it up.

By *ouvakMan  over a year ago

clacton on sea

"THOSE WHO AREN'T SEEKING"

I'm actively seeking work, have been on long term unemployment, you might not see me in the job centre everyday as I use the internet to search for work, and if you think £64 a week is a living wage then you try it and let me know how you cope, if i didn't have good friend who help me out with small items of shopping and the odd meal through the week i would be on your door step begging for a hot meal and a warm place to sleep, because i wouldn't have a home to live in, so get real, one day you might just be unfortunate enough to be one of those people you have little respect for, some aren't in the position out of choice, some are here because they were just unfortunate enough to be in jobs where the company went under or cut back because of someone else's greed

Torquay

If you take benefits away from people they have to live, they have to eat, they have to cloth themselves....

The benefit system in this country is not worked out on the back of a fag packet, micro care is taken to ensure that benefit claimants are not left wanting food, heat, shelter and clothing.

Anyone would think benefit claimants are having a luxury lifestyle on unemployment benefit....maybe in Tabloid world they are....not in the real one.

You cut benefits....you take people below the recognised poverty line, should they starve?, should they go without heating?

So yes, they will rob, they will shoplift, they will burgle if you push them below the poverty line.

clacton on sea

"Also if you cut the benefits of people it will result in a massive increase in burglaries and robberies...unless of course you expect people to starve?

That's just plain scare-mongering. We heard plenty of that during the three debates on TV, now look where they are... Brown gone and Cameron & Clegg setting up home together. I'm sorry Jane but your point above has no statistics to back it up."

i think there is a certain amount of fact in her statement, poverty is a great driver of passion, and any man or woman come to that will do what ever it takes to provide for their family, no matter how legal it might or might not be, desperate times bring desperate measures. We call our society educated, compassionate and caring, then OMG your see people willing to wreak other peoples lives to preserve their own, how selfish is that

clacton on sea

the national wage for the average worker is £250 plus before deduction , the average benefit for a single non working person is £64 plus housing allowance and council tax benefit.

In my Case as follows

dole £64 per week

rent £54 per week

c/tax £15 per week

From the £64 a week i have to feed myself, clothe myself, buy gas and electric ( on meter's costing more than those on monthly or quarterly bills)get to and from job interviews ( which if honest i probably had no chance of getting in the first place)

my gas is £10 per week

my lecy £10 per week

food £30 per week

travel £5 per week

ok now where do i get the £5 per week i need for water rates ?????? aaah i know go rob someone

Bridgend

"the national wage for the average worker is £250 plus before deduction , the average benefit for a single non working person is £64 plus housing allowance and council tax benefit.

In my Case as follows

dole £64 per week

rent £54 per week

c/tax £15 per week

From the £64 a week i have to feed myself, clothe myself, buy gas and electric ( on meter's costing more than those on monthly or quarterly bills)get to and from job interviews ( which if honest i probably had no chance of getting in the first place)

my gas is £10 per week

my lecy £10 per week

food £30 per week

travel £5 per week

ok now where do i get the £5 per week i need for water rates ?????? aaah i know go rob someone "

I totally agree with you, I have the same money as you but have a 17yr old daughter who lives with me who I also have to support out of my money as she's not entitled to anything. It's not easy and a luxury for me would be able to provide a nice joint for a roast dinner but you need a second mortgage for that

clacton on sea

"the national wage for the average worker is £250 plus before deduction , the average benefit for a single non working person is £64 plus housing allowance and council tax benefit.

In my Case as follows

dole £64 per week

rent £54 per week

c/tax £15 per week

my gas is £10 per week

my lecy £10 per week

food £30 per week

travel £5 per week

ok now where do i get the £5 per week i need for water rates ?????? aaah i know go rob someone

I totally agree with you, I have the same money as you but have a 17yr old daughter who lives with me who I also have to support out of my money as she's not entitled to anything. It's not easy and a luxury for me would be able to provide a nice joint for a roast dinner but you need a second mortgage for that "

hey I can spare £2 for a Sunday joint shall we pool our money and splash out lol, if not it's pension day on Wednesday and I can always grab a granny and run lol

Bradford

"THOSE WHO AREN'T SEEKING

I'm actively seeking work, have been on long term unemployment, you might not see me in the job centre everyday as I use the internet to search for work, and if you think £64 a week is a living wage then you try it and let me know how you cope, if i didn't have good friend who help me out with small items of shopping and the odd meal through the week i would be on your door step begging for a hot meal and a warm place to sleep, because i wouldn't have a home to live in, so get real, one day you might just be unfortunate enough to be one of those people you have little respect for, some aren't in the position out of choice, some are here because they were just unfortunate enough to be in jobs where the company went under or cut back because of someone else's greed "

I agree entirely with what you say, been there done it. as best you can with £59 a week.

But out of curiosity, would you be prepared to some work, say in the community, for your benefit money.

Is it all down to money, or would you also benefit from self esteem, improved well being, enhanced job prospects etc.

Genuinely interested.

dont forget if somethin essential stops workin and you get a social loan if you very bloody lucky, you then need to pay that back out of your money!

anyone that can live off dole money without havin to make cuts somewhere ie usually food,gas or electric i commend you because i couldnt do it!!

but according to the papers its the highlife you leadin...... xx

clacton on sea

it was tried back in the late 70s early 80s but the benefits system was then changed to say that you couldn't do paid or unpaid work and still claim benefits, after 16 hours work,and if it meant getting a more liveable benefit I would willingly work in the community, but as for it helping you get a more permanent job I doubt it would because an employer wouldn't see it as related to the employment your seeking unless your looking at care in the community

clacton on sea

"dont forget if somethin essential stops workin and you get a social loan if you very bloody lucky, you then need to pay that back out of your money!

anyone that can live off dole money without havin to make cuts somewhere ie usually food,gas or electric i commend you because i couldnt do it!!

but according to the papers its the highlife you leadin...... xx"

even during the very cold winter we just had i couldn't have the heating on, i had to either wear more clothing or retire under the duvet for heat, and lighting was only used where and when needed as for food, i shop in the cheapest shops i can find, ie aldi,lidol,£ shops, or look at whats on offer in the bargin bins ( damaged packages ext ext )

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

In my Case as follows

dole £64 per week

rent £54 per week

c/tax £15 per week

my gas is £10 per week

my lecy £10 per week

food £30 per week

travel £5 per week

ok now where do i get the £5 per week i need for water rates ?????? aaah i know go rob someone "

Its a pisser ....i spent 6 months on the dole ,and its jusat the pits ..i was so pissed off i went to see my mp a minister at the time and said this is a joke ...he said ok given 2 years to alter the amount what can we do.i said ok why dont you give people non repayable social loans-grants instead of quantitve easing ...poor proplr have no choice but to spend they are living in poverty...he thought it was a great idea but apart from a letter acknowleging the idea nothing happened ...then life took another turn as they do and i was off the dole ...really hope the same happens for you mate..really do .....

dont let the fuckers get you down ok

"dont forget if somethin essential stops workin and you get a social loan if you very bloody lucky, you then need to pay that back out of your money!

but according to the papers its the highlife you leadin...... xx

even during the very cold winter we just had i couldn't have the heating on, i had to either wear more clothing or retire under the duvet for heat, and lighting was only used where and when needed as for food, i shop in the cheapest shops i can find, ie aldi,lidol,£ shops, or look at whats on offer in the bargin bins ( damaged packages ext ext )"

im the late nite shopper i wait till near closin time then go you really can save a wee bit money that way and get some good decent food.

when you think of that winter there and how harsh it was im surprised we didnt get more dead people than usual! im on a pre pay meter and it was costin a fortune to try and heat the house and many a nite it was me and kiddo in bed at 7pm watchin tv to keep warm!

dole money always is the absoulute bare minimum to encourage people to work but what can people do when there is 2.51 million unemployed possibly more and nowhere near that amount of jobs goin , most of them on the minimum wage which is no incentive for people its a vicious circle! if some jobs paid a decent living wage it would make things a lot better xx

clacton on sea

and the migrant worker's are killing the job's too, if we closed the door to this influx we would have more work for those of us who are out of work too, and no I'm not against people moving around the world to improve their lot, but when a country has an unemployment problem surly it make's good sense to stop people coming in and taking job's, nearly half the building sites I use to deliver to are migrant workers, so the guy's who live here have families here can't get into the jobs they spent years training to do

"and the migrant worker's are killing the job's too, if we closed the door to this influx we would have more work for those of us who are out of work too, and no I'm not against people moving around the world to improve their lot, but when a country has an unemployment problem surly it make's good sense to stop people coming in and taking job's, nearly half the building sites I use to deliver to are migrant workers, so the guy's who live here have families here can't get into the jobs they spent years training to do "

I can see why people would think so and in some instances it is true. Having said that there are a few local businesses where we live where Eastern European guys (and girls) work for approx £ 2.50 ph and do a fab job - I think it might be hard to find local people to do that job. Now I am NOT suggesting for one moment that wages should drop and I am aware that this will, in a free market economy - drive local business down. The only point I am making is... not all situations are the same.

BTW as far as my own job is concerned it would require a local person to speak several languages fluently - and there are not that many who do. I am not boasting - please dont get me wrong - just making the point that we should not make sweeping statements xx

Bridgend

"and the migrant worker's are killing the job's too, if we closed the door to this influx we would have more work for those of us who are out of work too, and no I'm not against people moving around the world to improve their lot, but when a country has an unemployment problem surly it make's good sense to stop people coming in and taking job's, nearly half the building sites I use to deliver to are migrant workers, so the guy's who live here have families here can't get into the jobs they spent years training to do

I can see why people would think so and in some instances it is true. Having said that there are a few local businesses where we live where Eastern European guys (and girls) work for approx £ 2.50 ph and do a fab job - I think it might be hard to find local people to do that job. Now I am NOT suggesting for one moment that wages should drop and I am aware that this will, in a free market economy - drive local business down. The only point I am making is... not all situations are the same.

BTW as far as my own job is concerned it would require a local person to speak several languages fluently - and there are not that many who do. I am not boasting - please dont get me wrong - just making the point that we should not make sweeping statements xx"

Working for £2.50ph totally undermines and devalues the years of negotiating for better working conditions. That's an hours work for a loaf of bread and 2ltrs of milk, that's despicable.

"and the migrant worker's are killing the job's too, if we closed the door to this influx we would have more work for those of us who are out of work too, and no I'm not against people moving around the world to improve their lot, but when a country has an unemployment problem surly it make's good sense to stop people coming in and taking job's, nearly half the building sites I use to deliver to are migrant workers, so the guy's who live here have families here can't get into the jobs they spent years training to do

BTW as far as my own job is concerned it would require a local person to speak several languages fluently - and there are not that many who do. I am not boasting - please dont get me wrong - just making the point that we should not make sweeping statements xx

Working for £2.50ph totally undermines and devalues the years of negotiating for better working conditions. That's an hours work for a loaf of bread and 2ltrs of milk, that's despicable. "

I agree and as I said that was not the point I was making - I just wanted to highlight that all sweeping statements have to carry some truth ... and as much untruth.

clacton on sea

Working for £2.50ph totally undermines and devalues the years of negotiating for better working conditions. That's an hours work for a loaf of bread and 2ltrs of milk, that's despicable. "

most of the east European people you are referring to live in communal accommodation sharing the cost of rental/electric/gas/ and food, so can afford to work for such low rates in the first place, ooh and then there's the few who only work here for a few months then go home, and those who work " off the cards"

Bradford

but if we all worked for £2.50 per hour do you not think that proces of bread etc would fall?

Bradford

not with a good yeast it wouldnt hee hee

clacton on sea

the only thing's rising in this country is the cost of living and the population

Bridgend

Working for £2.50ph totally undermines and devalues the years of negotiating for better working conditions. That's an hours work for a loaf of bread and 2ltrs of milk, that's despicable.

but if we all worked for £2.50 per hour do you not think that proces of bread etc would fall?

"

Why not all work for nothing and get everything free

Why not all work for nothing and get everything free "

whoops even sex?

"Whats to stop the government creating unpaid jobs that people on benefits have to do if they want to continue to receive benefits. I am not talking 40 hrs a week but maybe 16 for the first year and going up in the 2nd year. too many claimants in the "I'm not doing that" team unfortunately."

If the government can conjour up dodgy employers who can miraculously come up with jobs when they're getting back handers off them to massage the jobless figures,why can't those same employers add their share to pay a decent living wage for those jobs that obviously need doing?

Or is it that they're just after slave labour as we already know?

New Deal they called it when I was last unemployed,"It'll give you work experience" said the young person behind the desk.

I was getting work experience while they were still shitting Rusks! R

"

"

Of course not.

When have you ever known a basic commodity to fall in price,no matter what price the raw product or production costs.

Take chips for instance,potato prices rise so does the price of chips.

Do chip prices drop with the price of spuds?...........Do they buggery. R

they should cut the "quality" of the so call mobility cars,my friends step-dad had a brain tumour when he was 17, he is now 42 and every 3 years he gets a brand new car!! can someone answer me this?? he doesnt look for work and spends his time fishing!! why have his benefits not been stopped. people may slate the unemployed like me but im a carer that gets no extra money because they have not arranged a medical for my mum yet, walk nearly 8 miles a day and have my own place to run which has the bare minimum furniture in it with all my bills to pay and paying back a social loan(to buy a bed, cooker etc (all second hand except the bed)), i constantly have to rely on other people generosity to live, i never have the heating on, my sister gave me my computer and my neighbour lets me use her internet(which i do jobsearch on). for me the system stinks, when i did work i was paying my uni fees back(almost done) but now im stuck in a rut, nothing to do and i am currently surrounded by scrounging layabouts who sit on the front of there flats drinking cider and getting paid much more than me!!

When my youngest was born I was on income support for two years if needed it is for a stop gap not a lifestyle choice and yes you can volenteer take advantage of all the courses that the the job centre provides it keeps you moving and improves skills. I volenteered and got on to the comitee of local play group retrained and ended up getting a job out of it.

"they should cut the "quality" of the so call mobility cars,my friends step-dad had a brain tumour when he was 17, he is now 42 and every 3 years he gets a brand new car!! can someone answer me this?? he doesnt look for work and spends his time fishing!! why have his benefits not been stopped. people may slate the unemployed like me but im a carer that gets no extra money because they have not arranged a medical for my mum yet, walk nearly 8 miles a day and have my own place to run which has the bare minimum furniture in it with all my bills to pay and paying back a social loan(to buy a bed, cooker etc (all second hand except the bed)), i constantly have to rely on other people generosity to live, i never have the heating on, my sister gave me my computer and my neighbour lets me use her internet(which i do jobsearch on). for me the system stinks, when i did work i was paying my uni fees back(almost done) but now im stuck in a rut, nothing to do and i am currently surrounded by scrounging layabouts who sit on the front of there flats drinking cider and getting paid much more than me!!"

and thats is where they system is totally wrong!

carers save the government millions, but get little or no thanks and barely enough to live on whereas your local alcholic will get everythin handed to them and i know its an illness and an addiction but its woefully unfair xx

Bridgend

Why not all work for nothing and get everything free

whoops even sex?"

Well I've never charged for sex so see it as pure pleasure

Bridgend

"they should cut the "quality" of the so call mobility cars,my friends step-dad had a brain tumour when he was 17, he is now 42 and every 3 years he gets a brand new car!! can someone answer me this?? he doesnt look for work and spends his time fishing!! why have his benefits not been stopped. people may slate the unemployed like me but im a carer that gets no extra money because they have not arranged a medical for my mum yet, walk nearly 8 miles a day and have my own place to run which has the bare minimum furniture in it with all my bills to pay and paying back a social loan(to buy a bed, cooker etc (all second hand except the bed)), i constantly have to rely on other people generosity to live, i never have the heating on, my sister gave me my computer and my neighbour lets me use her internet(which i do jobsearch on). for me the system stinks, when i did work i was paying my uni fees back(almost done) but now im stuck in a rut, nothing to do and i am currently surrounded by scrounging layabouts who sit on the front of there flats drinking cider and getting paid much more than me!!"

I don't understand what you mean by "cut the quality of mobility cars". This I do know, if you receive Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate for the mobility element you can a) use that money for any needs arising from your disability or b) put that money towards a car which is leased for 3yrs. They can pretty much have whatever car they want, some use up all the allowance, some do not or you can pay an advance payment from eg. £149- £7000. I can't comment as to why he's not had his benefits stopped as I do not know his medical background. With regards your mum, if she is in receipt of a qualifying benefit and you're providing care for her for more than £35 hrs per week you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance of approx £53pw this can affect both yours and her benefit. Lots of information available on directgov website re: benefits.

By *ausage and sizzleCouple  over a year ago

Barnstaple

How about instead of cutting services, why not think about ways we could get people back into work and paying taxes to pay for our services.

My idea would be to have a local authority nursery schools. That way, parents who can't afford to work because they can't afford £250 plus a week, per child, for childcare, could afford to work. I'm sure there are many in this position and I'm sure it would be cheaper for the tax payer in the long run.

Torquay

"How about instead of cutting services, why not think about ways we could get people back into work and paying taxes to pay for our services.

My idea would be to have a local authority nursery schools. That way, parents who can't afford to work because they can't afford £250 plus a week, per child, for childcare, could afford to work. I'm sure there are many in this position and I'm sure it would be cheaper for the tax payer in the long run. "

2.6 million people out of work....where are we going to get all these jobs?

I am all for getting the unemployed into paid work, but we are still in the grip of a reccession, companies are still laying people off.....more than they are taking new workers on.

If the jobs are not there you can't get people off of unemployment, which incidentally is widely expected to grow to well over 3 million by the nd of this year.

Barnstaple

"How about instead of cutting services, why not think about ways we could get people back into work and paying taxes to pay for our services.

My idea would be to have a local authority nursery schools. That way, parents who can't afford to work because they can't afford £250 plus a week, per child, for childcare, could afford to work. I'm sure there are many in this position and I'm sure it would be cheaper for the tax payer in the long run.

2.6 million people out of work....where are we going to get all these jobs?

I am all for getting the unemployed into paid work, but we are still in the grip of a reccession, companies are still laying people off.....more than they are taking new workers on.

If the jobs are not there you can't get people off of unemployment, which incidentally is widely expected to grow to well over 3 million by the nd of this year."

You may have a point, but it's a bit of a negative one - "it's gonna get worse so lets do nothing!".

Let's just say you have 2 kids, that's £2000 a month you got to take home, just to pay for childcare, what's the point in working?

If you have one local auth nursery teacher for 10 kids, then unless she's on £10,000 a month, the there has to be a saving to be made there, surely?

Basic maths I know and I know there infrastructure to pay for, but this seems to me, to be basic logic.

Torquay

But still brings us back to the point of jobs, it's all very well having all this childcare for women who want to work but it's the jobs that are the main hurdle.

The incredible rise in part time positions over the last 13 years (over 1.4m new part time posts in England and Wales) has often been at the expense of full time positions.

There are more Women over the age of 30 working than at any time since records began, but the flip side of the coin is that there are also more Men out of work since 1989.

Part time Women are often replacing full time Men in some jobs, the face of the UK workforce has been changing dranatically over the last decade.

I recently advertised a position for a part time shop worker and within 5 days had over 150 applicants, you can only reduce the unemployment total if you have enough jobs available to make an impact.

in all honestty i know what im going to say is going to cause a wee bit of hassle . so here goes ..... way i see it is like when germany after the war was basically fucked . cue a mad wee guy with a tash who0 caused a shit load of trouble . yes hitler was a prick with many many things wrong with his thinking . but financially pre war he made a lot of sense . only thing he did get right . he did what gordon brown wouldnt do , closed off his country and created jobs in manufacturing , construction , offices the full works . ok he was preparing for war but i think he was right . even when im in town and i see romanians selling the big issue or poles in the job centre to me they shouldnt be here unless they are needed . i mean selling the big issue on the street ???? thats worth leaving your country ? what about natiopnal service ok not popular i understand but will provide jobs , training and a good backround for the future . would also sort out the education side of things , when you get to 16 decide wether its academic or aprrenticeship so you always leaving school with something useful . would also say on the benefits front that its too easy to mess about and just say you have been looking rarely to they check these things . i think employers should by law have to provide the names and addresses of those that have applied to the heed honchos so they know . id tax the hell out of the rich and also lower car tax . reduce fuel duty and invest in training and building a proper infastructure rail and roads mways and high speed linnks . agree with raising NI as long as so many folk are unemployed and the outgoings are going up cause of it but by the same token reduce it when a lot are working . get out of iraq and stop being the yanks bitch that would save a few bob . for the uk as a whole id let scotland and NI sort there own shit out financially instead of promising things and then blaming westminster for not getting the dosh . have a set amount for each no more no less than that . bankers bonuses in fact the whole financial industry especially after major fuck ups should have to pump a shit load back into the coffers via a risk tax me thinks . gradually pull out of afghan over a number of years say 3 , and tell europe to sort their own shit out instead of the uk paying for silly shite on the continent . yip thats me thoughts over apologies in advance for emm well everything .

Barnstaple

"But still brings us back to the point of jobs, it's all very well having all this childcare for women who want to work but it's the jobs that are the main hurdle.

The incredible rise in part time positions over the last 13 years (over 1.4m new part time posts in England and Wales) has often been at the expense of full time positions.

There are more Women over the age of 30 working than at any time since records began, but the flip side of the coin is that there are also more Men out of work since 1989.

Part time Women are often replacing full time Men in some jobs, the face of the UK workforce has been changing dranatically over the last decade.

I recently advertised a position for a part time shop worker and within 5 days had over 150 applicants, you can only reduce the unemployment total if you have enough jobs available to make an impact."

Point taken.

But why are there more people looking for p/t work? Is it because they'd can't afford childcare and have to work in school hours - 9 to 3pm?

And why are employers looking for p/t workers? Having worked in recruitment advertising, I know that employers actively seek p/t workers, because there's a good workforce going to waste that they can't employ otherwise, ...and it saves them money too!

Maybe this isn't a viable answer, I just think that govt should think a bit more laterally.

Torquay

"in all honestty i know what im going to say is going to cause a wee bit of hassle . so here goes ..... way i see it is like when germany after the war was basically fucked . cue a mad wee guy with a tash who0 caused a shit load of trouble . yes hitler was a prick with many many things wrong with his thinking . but financially pre war he made a lot of sense . only thing he did get right . he did what gordon brown wouldnt do , closed off his country and created jobs in manufacturing , construction , offices the full works . ok he was preparing for war but i think he was right . even when im in town and i see romanians selling the big issue or poles in the job centre to me they shouldnt be here unless they are needed . i mean selling the big issue on the street ???? thats worth leaving your country ? what about natiopnal service ok not popular i understand but will provide jobs , training and a good backround for the future . would also sort out the education side of things , when you get to 16 decide wether its academic or aprrenticeship so you always leaving school with something useful . would also say on the benefits front that its too easy to mess about and just say you have been looking rarely to they check these things . i think employers should by law have to provide the names and addresses of those that have applied to the heed honchos so they know . id tax the hell out of the rich and also lower car tax . reduce fuel duty and invest in training and building a proper infastructure rail and roads mways and high speed linnks . agree with raising NI as long as so many folk are unemployed and the outgoings are going up cause of it but by the same token reduce it when a lot are working . get out of iraq and stop being the yanks bitch that would save a few bob . for the uk as a whole id let scotland and NI sort there own shit out financially instead of promising things and then blaming westminster for not getting the dosh . have a set amount for each no more no less than that . bankers bonuses in fact the whole financial industry especially after major fuck ups should have to pump a shit load back into the coffers via a risk tax me thinks . gradually pull out of afghan over a number of years say 3 , and tell europe to sort their own shit out instead of the uk paying for silly shite on the continent . yip thats me thoughts over apologies in advance for emm well everything . "

You can't see Romanians selling the Big Issue as Romania is not a fully intergrated member of the EU yet, therefore Romanians are not permitted to undertake any form of paid work in the UK until 2014.

come to glasgow .....defo romanians no doubt about it . however that aside foreign perosn comes here to escape what ??? and sells the big issue whislt there kids play some shite music when they should be at school ??? what exactly they contributing here ? hmm as far as part time work goes iv no real idea about it , think if it is cheaper then thats prob the reason for it suppose no as many things to consider like a salary and pension etc etc which could be costly .

most childcare costs in some cases are met by the government through tax credits, but finding decent childcare that works the hrs you do can be nigh on impossible!

thats if you can find a job that is worth actually comin off benefits for and in some cases i can see why they become reliant.

it would be great as a country if we could get back to full employment but i dont imagine it would fix every problem we have in society there have been skivers and lazy c|*&nts all through history!

i ran the local summer playscheme for a few years and it was hellish tryin to get volunteers now in an area with high levels of unemployment you would think that people with a few hrs to spare wouldnt mind gettin the experience and also the chance of trips away etc with their children but most were happy to drop them off and run then moan if somethin had to be cancelled because we were short staffed! then there was the hassle tryin to get grants etc then disclosures and meetin the legislation and blah blah!! in the end i gave in ,it was a losin battle and yet i still get people asking why i stopped doin it!! xx

when i say cut the quality of the cars they get, i mean cheaper models, why should they get brand new cars etc when good honest people are struggling for transport.

i cannot claim carers allowance as she has not had a medical yet, there have been two appointments made for them to come and visit her but both were cancelled the day before

Bridgend

"when i say cut the quality of the cars they get, i mean cheaper models, why should they get brand new cars etc when good honest people are struggling for transport.

i cannot claim carers allowance as she has not had a medical yet, there have been two appointments made for them to come and visit her but both were cancelled the day before"

The scheme is run by Motability and it has approx 4000 cars to choose from. Are you saying that people who have a Motability car are neither good or honest? These people pay for the hire of those cars for 3 yrs from the money they've been awarded by the DWP. Not everyone has a medical condition that is blatently obvious and we need to be mindful of this.

im saying that there is no need to spend all this money on really nice cars, should only get basic models!! its a way of saving money

[Removed by poster at 15/05/10 20:10:10]

here's a contentious idea' there are a few people that have been unemployed for so long it makes them unemployable, they have nothing historic to prove on their cv and it makes them look unwilling to work (i'm not gong to argue the toss as to whether its by choice or design that they are unemployed, that's a whole other thread).

how about those that are unemployed and capable of actively seeking work be given community roles (not community service, it's no a punishment), but allow them to earn their benefits and put something back into the economy and community as well as giving them some self worth and something on a cv that proves to a potential employee that they are willing.

To address the issue of minumum wage, they'd do hours commensurate to their benefits, even a few hours voluntary work a week, considering the numbers unemployed, would no doubt benefit a community.

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

I'm all for the idea of us unemployed people doing work...

What i'm not for, is the SLAVERY that this country uses, hiden behind the crap they call New Deal.

To many times now have I been sent to "Aparent new deal employers" Worked my arse off, been praised for the job done... only to hear at the end of my time "Sorry we arn't hiring, we will just get another New Deal worker sent to us"

Some of the jobs exist, but sadly the employers know they can get free labour rather than paid.

Other jobs seem to have the "Minimum National wage" or like most the job centre have shown me lately "Pensions: Employer preffers not to say"

"I'm all for the idea of us unemployed people doing work...

What i'm not for, is the SLAVERY that this country uses, hiden behind the crap they call New Deal.

To many times now have I been sent to "Aparent new deal employers" Worked my arse off, been praised for the job done... only to hear at the end of my time "Sorry we arn't hiring, we will just get another New Deal worker sent to us"

Some of the jobs exist, but sadly the employers know they can get free labour rather than paid.

Other jobs seem to have the "Minimum National wage" or like most the job centre have shown me lately "Pensions: Employer preffers not to say"

"

..whch is why i said the work should not exceed the benefits being received.

I agree the new deal is not wholly fair on the employee, other than it gets a person into the work place again and there are still benefits being received, so not all of it is free labour, but there should be a wage at the end of it that represents the hours put in . For the employer, a lot of these firms badly need the worforce, but cant afford to expand them so new deal is badly needed. It's just managed badly.

for the individual concerned, being unemployed can be demorolising and a little repect at the end of a working day via a well earned wage can do much for confidence.

clacton on sea

"here's a contentious idea' there are a few people that have been unemployed for so long it makes them unemployable, they have nothing historic to prove on their cv and it makes them look unwilling to work (i'm not gong to argue the toss as to whether its by choice or design that they are unemployed, that's a whole other thread).

how about those that are unemployed and capable of actively seeking work be given community roles (not community service, it's no a punishment), but allow them to earn their benefits and put something back into the economy and community as well as giving them some self worth and something on a cv that proves to a potential employee that they are willing.

To address the issue of minumum wage, they'd do hours commensurate to their benefits, even a few hours voluntary work a week, considering the numbers unemployed, would no doubt benefit a community.

"

Ok Cumbria and Northumberland councils did just this sometime ago, and had to stop because the DWP changed all the ways in which benefits are worked out,where by all people working and be that paid or unpaid over 16 hours lost all entitlement to benefit's and that included those for which they had worked, and the council had to foot a hefty bill to compensate those on benefits who lost out, thus the next fiscal year they had to put up the rate's in the area to overcome their over spend, and what you are suggesting though it sounds good will actually do other workers out of work, be they paid or otherwise, i do odd jobs for friends for which the only payment i get is fed for the day, and ciggies bought whilst on the job,

" what you are suggesting though it sounds good will actually do other workers out of work, be they paid or otherwise, i do odd jobs for friends for which the only payment i get is fed for the day, and ciggies bought whilst on the job, "

are you suggesting somone in ft employment is more deserving of work than someone unemployed?

clacton on sea

I agree the new deal is not wholly fair on the employee, other than it gets a person into the work place again and there are still benefits being received, so not all of it is free labour, but there should be a wage at the end of it that represents the hours put in . For the employer, a lot of these firms badly need the worforce, but cant afford to expand them so new deal is badly needed. It's just managed badly.

for the individual concerned, being unemployed can be demorolising and a little repect at the end of a working day via a well earned wage can do much for confidence.

"

you might be to young to remember the old YTS scheme of the 70s I'm not an i worked for an employer ( nationally well known for it's dancing singing fitter) who blatantly used the scheme to take on workers with absolutely no intention of giving them full time work at the end of the 3 or 6 month work period, and those young people were working along side others who were getting 5 times what they were getting for exactly the same hours and work, i for one hated the scheme , and i was a fully employed assistant manager at one depot,all these scheme do is smudge the numbers out of work by transferring them onto a scheme where the number of them on it come's off the unemployed collecting benefits, because at the end of the scheme they are right back where they started, no matter how much retraining/work expirence you give someone at the end of the day if there's no JOBS theres no WORK for them to do END OF

clacton on sea

" what you are suggesting though it sounds good will actually do other workers out of work, be they paid or otherwise, i do odd jobs for friends for which the only payment i get is fed for the day, and ciggies bought whilst on the job,

are you suggesting somone in ft employment is more deserving of work than someone unemployed?"

why pull out a small portion of the whole and take it out of context ? i wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, merely stating that the more unscrupulous employer out there would use the system to get his work done for no cost but still be charging the end user the full price he was charging before his workforce started costing him nothing, is all i was implying in an indirect way, before you pull out part and try and make an example of it be sure that it fit's what you intended it to imply

you might be to young to remember the old YTS scheme of the 70s I'm not an i worked for an employer ( nationally well known for it's dancing singing fitter) who blatantly used the scheme to take on workers with absolutely no intention of giving them full time work at the end of the 3 or 6 month work period, and those young people were working along side others who were getting 5 times what they were getting for exactly the same hours and work, i for one hated the scheme , and i was a fully employed assistant manager at one depot,all these scheme do is smudge the numbers out of work by transferring them onto a scheme where the number of them on it come's off the unemployed collecting benefits, because at the end of the scheme they are right back where they started, no matter how much retraining/work expirence you give someone at the end of the day if there's no JOBS theres no WORK for them to do END OF "

I did yts, I also did new deal...I'm not promoting either. I think you need to read what I said before as you're doing nothing other than agreeing with me!

I'm suggesting the work does not exceed the benefit the indivdual receives. It need not deny another man work either.,...how many of us work for a council that cant get things done as they cant afford it? Use the resource that's there is what I'm suggesting, a few hours a week to give the person confidence, experience and to give them something for their cv.

I woul only imagine someone unwilling to work opposing this.

I've been unemployed and it was damn hard sitting in an interview knowing i'd been unemployed so long and feeling so worthless for that. If you're able to work, usually, you want to. It gives a person a feeling of self worth...well, it did me!

I was last unemployed from a job I'd had for 6 years before being made redundant.

When I went to sign on the same people were hanging about the lobby smoking dope and sucking cans of Tenants as they had been 6 years before,I couldn't believe it.

Before anyone says "How do you know they were the same?",its because most are easily recognisable ie: Frank Gallagher types plus tattooed faces etc.

Each time I signed on they'd carp on about "Bum Deal" and send me to totally unsuitable jobs.

Did the aforementioned layabouts get offered "Bum Deal" or jobs,did they buggery.

Week after week they just got called to the hatch to receive their payments.

When I saw one of the Advisers who I knew personally I asked why this was so, she just smiled and said "Well.....would you employ them?". R

XX

clacton on sea

Ok this work for benefit's thing needs ironing out, In my humble opinion I can see a money earner here for some entrepreneurial type, imagine this ,,,,, government set's up a committee to look into getting the unemployed into some kind of work so as to keep their self esteem up ( cost to tax payer several £millions) bright eyed shark management type thinks hang on 2.5 million men and women out of work, government wants someone to " employ them for nothing" OK sounds good but I want a commission for finding the work for them to do lets say £10 per person per week to help them into jobs they do for nothing in return ( other than their benefit) I'll charge each employer £10 for each person I put their way so now he's getting £20 per person per week now my maths aint that good but I think that's £5 million a week doing nothing for nothing for people getting nothing and that money is coming out of the pockets of the people already paying for those people doing nothing £5,000,000 X 52 weeks £125,000,000 annually hey not bad for doing nothing for people doing nothing

Bridgend

"im saying that there is no need to spend all this money on really nice cars, should only get basic models!! its a way of saving money"

The DWP pays the money to the individual who is entitled to DLA, it is therefore their choice what they choose to spend that money on surely? Whatever best suits their needs. Motability isn't a government scheme, Motability work with evhicle manufacturers to source a selection of cars to best meet an individuals needs. It is no good only have KA's if the person is for example 6ft 7" tall, weighs over 20st and say for example the steering wheel doesn't have reach and rake or has no room to carry a wheelchair. There are lots of other things to take in to consideration, that's why there are so many options and adaptations to take in to consideration.

Well you would struggle to get a large 20st man in a Kia pride! Maybe if one manufacturer was used then the govt could get an exclusive deal and save money or place it with a UK manufacturer.

Bridgend

[Removed by poster at 15/05/10 22:35:03]

Bridgend

"Well you would struggle to get a large 20st man in a Kia pride! Maybe if one manufacturer was used then the govt could get an exclusive deal and save money or place it with a UK manufacturer."

Motability isn't a government scheme, it also provides for those receiving the War Pensioners Mobilty Supplement too.

"Well you would struggle to get a large 20st man in a Kia pride! Maybe if one manufacturer was used then the govt could get an exclusive deal and save money or place it with a UK manufacturer.

Motability isn't a government scheme, it also provides for those receiving the War Pensioners Mobilty Supplement too. "

So is it public or private money that funds it?

Bridgend

"Well you would struggle to get a large 20st man in a Kia pride! Maybe if one manufacturer was used then the govt could get an exclusive deal and save money or place it with a UK manufacturer.

Motability isn't a government scheme, it also provides for those receiving the War Pensioners Mobilty Supplement too.

So is it public or private money that funds it?"

It's a national charity that acts as a conduit for those in receipt of DLA or WPMS to access suitable vehicles. It also provides grants for adaptations for specific needs.

clacton on sea

theres also the nation association for disabled motorcyclist too which is privately funded by bikers for biker, who are disabled but want to carry on biking, DLA will contribute towards the cost of the basic bike but conversion has to be funded privately

It's a national charity that acts as a conduit for those in receipt of DLA or WPMS to access suitable vehicles. It also provides grants for adaptations for specific needs."

Nice swerve but you didn't answer my question. The money comes from taxes doesn't it? And ultimately the government oversees how our taxes are spent.

By *eorge17Man  over a year ago

Leven

If someone wants a bigger, more expensive car they must pay an Advance Payment which can be a few hundred pounds up to a few thousand.

Bridgend

It's a national charity that acts as a conduit for those in receipt of DLA or WPMS to access suitable vehicles. It also provides grants for adaptations for specific needs.

Nice swerve but you didn't answer my question. The money comes from taxes doesn't it? And ultimately the government oversees how our taxes are spent."

Motobility is a charity that fundraises to allow it to provide grants for adaptations etc to vehicles. So it is therefore funded by whoever wishes to donate, by raffle tickets, attend organised events etc etc etc. Those who receive through qualifying, either the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or the War Pensioners Mobilty Supplement. Can use that payment to hire/lease a car for 3yrs suitable for their needs or can also choose to purchase a car.

clacton on sea

Nice swerve but you didn't answer my question. The money comes from taxes doesn't it? And ultimately the government oversees how our taxes are spent."

you as an able bodied driver who goes out and earns his wage has a right to choice of what car you do or don't buy, a less able bodied driver also has the same right as a human being to choose what car he does or doesn't drive,the fact that part of it is paid for by the DLA or DWP shouldn't have a bearing on it, or do you want to see him/her confined to the place of living just because they are less able to do what you do ? ????? work is a luxury for some disabled people, and some work and receive a small top up via DLA in the form of free road tax and assisted service costs, i for one who has a disable relative would give up my work (if i was working) and care for them if i got paid for taking the position and taking his cost to the NHS away from the government,cutting the cost of taxation by hitting the less fortunate in our country isn't the way to go, raise more from those who can afford to pay more and allow the poorer amongst us a fighting chance of having a better standard of living is the way to go, but because we are in a capitalist run society that will never happen because it's the rich that hold the upper hand

[Removed by poster at 15/05/10 23:29:03]

blah blah blah... rich rich rich ...

You'll be wanting a revolution next.

Who says it's the job of the rich to take care of the poor?

Only poor people say that.

I've been on skid row once in my life and no fucker helped me, so guess what, I help no fucker now.

Bridgend

"the person coming back from afganastan will be able to claim war disablement pension which is a higher rate than DLA"

I believe the WPMS is a higher rate than DLA too and they rightly deserve it after being injured fighting for our country.

Bridgend

"blah blah blah... rich rich rich ...

I've been on skid row once in my life and no fucker helped me, so guess what, I help no fucker now. "

Hi Wishy, was that a random rant or in respect of a particular post?

[Removed by poster at 15/05/10 23:34:13]

I've been on skid row once in my life and no fucker helped me, so guess what, I help no fucker now.

Hi Wishy, was that a random rant or in respect of a particular post?"

It was in answer to the last sentence on _ouvak's post specifically, but also in general at all the posts that keep harping on about the rich getting rich on the backs of the downtrodden masses... it's like listening to Revolutionary France in here sometimes.

Bridgend

It was in answer to the last sentence on _ouvak's post specifically, but also in general at all the posts that keep harping on about the rich getting rich on the backs of the downtrodden masses... it's like listening to Revolutionary France in here sometimes. "

PMSL ffs don't mention fighting, you'll wake notts up

clacton on sea

It was in answer to the last sentence on _ouvak's post specifically, but also in general at all the posts that keep harping on about the rich getting rich on the backs of the downtrodden masses... it's like listening to Revolutionary France in here sometimes. "

capitalism at it's best, blame the poor for being poor, it's never the rich who keep the poor poor so they can cruise through life on the wave of the downtrodden mass's is it, they didn't get rich by exploiting those less fortunate than themselves oooh no they got where they are by right of birth, ok a few worked their way out of hardship only to imitate their mentor's and stand on the shoulder's of the worker, i might be revolutionary in my view's but i'm not opposed to helping others if and when i can, even down to giving my last penny to someone less fortunate than myself, for i believe firmly in the saying " their but for the grace of god goes I " and as for no one help you when you were on your heels did you or did you not draw from the social fund " dole" and benefit from other relief available to assist you when you were in your hour of need,,,,, then yes someone did hold out a helping hand,,,,, every man and woman who was lucky enough to be employed

"capitalism at it's best, blame the poor for being poor, it's never the rich who keep the poor poor so they can cruise through life on the wave of the downtrodden mass's is it, they didn't get rich by exploiting those less fortunate than themselves oooh no they got where they are by right of birth, ok a few worked their way out of hardship only to imitate their mentor's and stand on the shoulder's of the worker, i might be revolutionary in my view's but i'm not opposed to helping others if and when i can, even down to giving my last penny to someone less fortunate than myself, for i believe firmly in the saying " their but for the grace of god goes I " and as for no one help you when you were on your heels did you or did you not draw from the social fund " dole" and benefit from other relief available to assist you when you were in your hour of need,,,,, then yes someone did hold out a helping hand,,,,, every man and woman who was lucky enough to be employed "

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

Yes, I did go to the DSS... and was told that as I hadn't paid enough Class 1 stamp sometime two years previously I wasn't entitled to Unemployment Benefit (regardless of the fact that I had paid a fuck load of tax in that same period). I was then told I may be able to get Income Support but my case wouldn't be heard for another three weeks in which time I still had to make the trek to the dole office to sign on (two bus journeys there and two back). This continued for three months!, after which I was told I was not eligible for I/Support but I still had to sign on to get my N.I. contributions paid.

The next time I was due to sign on the little oik asked me if I'd done any work in the past two weeks, to which I told him to mind his own fucking business. He looked at me quizzically (I think he was gobsmacked that anyone had dared to speak to him like that), he said he was duty bound to ask me if I had worked and I replied that when the government pay me to answer that question, I'll happily answer.

I then toer up my dole card into confetti-type pieces and left it all over the counter.

I've never signed on since and have no ontention of ever asking the DSS for a goddam penny. I make my money for myself and my family and I try to keep as much of it as possible and not give it away to lazy fuckers who don't deserve it. Why should I worry about someone I don't know in a place I've never heard of?

clacton on sea

how unfortunate for you ta have been unlucky enough to fall through the net, many women do because they take time out from work to have families, and no i'm not saying that it's their fault for that either, my ex had exactly the same problem when we had to go on the dole many years ago, the system works for some and not for others it's always been the same, but some know how to milk it better than most of us do,i've been lucky enough to work most of my adult life, it's only been this past year i've had to put my life in the hands of the DWP, and if it hadn't been for some very good friend's i don't think ho in fact i know i wouldn't have survived over the winter months, so i'm glad there are still some people out there with a social heart and willing to help those who are through no fault of their own on there arse's, so you see not all people think like you do, some do have a heart and a soul and realise that one day they too could be in the same position and hope that the kindness they show'd will be repaid, and i for one will do what ever i can for who ever i can when ever i can because i have a heart and a soul too

I help those nearest and dearest to me. Nobody else. My father instilled in me a long time ago 'never a borrower nor a lender be' and I've adhered to that sound advice all my adult life. I do give to charity on a regular basis but only a local one where I know how the money is going to be used. I absolutely refuse to give to things like LiveAid as I already pay tax that the govt use in oversees aid (0.7% of GDP). If that isn't enough to help these poorer countries then my £10 is going to help much more, particularly when some despot is demanding 40% of the aid given so that the other 60% can get to where it's needed.

It seems that some African countries are forever in a drought situation. Why send them aid, send them luggage instead and tell them to bloody move!

clacton on sea

now you have moved the goal post's i was talking about the needs of the nation not the needs of the world, and how we need to redistribute wealth so all men and women are equal, lol, sort out thy own before thy sort's out those of the others, this country has as many needy people as any other country in the world. OK I'll put up my hands and admit I'm a hardened socialist, maybe because I'm also a trade unionist too,no man deserve's to be forced to live in poverty, it has two knock on effect's 1) the crime rate in high unemployment area's rise's in proportion to the level of unemployment.2) it demoralise's the person whom finds him/her self trapped in the downward spiral.

i agree we need a social program that allows people the right to work for a living wage, i also agree that the system needs a major overhaul so people don't fall into the poverty trap.

But most of all we need to regain the social value's our grand parents and those before them had, every one in their day looked out for everyone else even to the point of going without to help those who had nothing. Many men and women in the past have given far more than money or food to keep our nation as it was.

Now is the time for those values to re-surface and for everyone to stop moaning about the things we have little control over and do what we can to help those who need our help.

And though i say it again it's always the rich who are the first to complain when taxation is raised, but it's the rich who put this country in the mess it's in today with their greed. Banks lending money to people from whom they knew they had no chance of recovering it. loans to nations who also had no way to repay it other than to take it from their countrymen( the poor again suffer).

As you can by now see I'm a debater and

have learnt from years of experience to cover my base's. For every PRO there is a CON

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"

It seems that some African countries are forever in a drought situation. Why send them aid, send them luggage instead and tell them to bloody move!"

Just not here eh?

You are confusing unscrupulous business practices with hard working folk who have become rich because they are hard working. For many captains of industry financial reward is simply a by-product of being successful. You only have to listen to Sir Alan Sugar to realise that he is rich not because he jacked up his prices and robbed the working class, but because he is a man driven by the excitement of making a deal, but he also knew that the best way to success was to give the working class products that worked and that they could afford. Amstrad equipment was by no means the best on the market but it worked and it was relatively cheap.

There are many people like him who are rich for the same reasons and I'm sure that they would be horrified to be compared in the same light as those few ruthless bankers who gambled with other people's money - and lost.

I find it insulting to hear people condemn the 'rich' simply for being rich. People are not equal, they never have been, and they never will be. Any attempt to make them equal is doomed to failure as every society produces brilliant minds who invent, discover and command as well those not so clever who become the workforce, and many many layers between the two. Equality is a dream destined to be forever on the horizon. Realism is ensuring that those who work are paid an adequate wage for the work they do. The Government's job is to ensure that the wages people are paid is enough to live on.

"

It seems that some African countries are forever in a drought situation. Why send them aid, send them luggage instead and tell them to bloody move!

Just not here eh? "

Your words, not mine.

clacton on sea

"You are confusing unscrupulous business practices with hard working folk who have become rich because they are hard working. For many captains of industry financial reward is simply a by-product of being successful. You only have to listen to Sir Alan Sugar to realise that he is rich not because he jacked up his prices and robbed the working class, but because he is a man driven by the excitement of making a deal, but he also knew that the best way to success was to give the working class products that worked and that they could afford. Amstrad equipment was by no means the best on the market but it worked and it was relatively cheap.

There are many people like him who are rich for the same reasons and I'm sure that they would be horrified to be compared in the same light as those few ruthless bankers who gambled with other people's money - and lost.

I find it insulting to hear people condemn the 'rich' simply for being rich. People are not equal, they never have been, and they never will be. Any attempt to make them equal is doomed to failure as every society produces brilliant minds who invent, discover and command as well those not so clever who become the workforce, and many many layers between the two. Equality is a dream destined to be forever on the horizon. Realism is ensuring that those who work are paid an adequate wage for the work they do. The Government's job is to ensure that the wages people are paid is enough to live on."

In your own word's you echo my whole argument, but more eloquently , I'm all for the worker being paid a living wage, I'm all for the rich enjoying the rewards of their success, what I am against is the rich not owning up to their mistakes then expecting the rest of us to bail them out and not get a bonus for doing so, After all if it hadn't been for the government lending OUR money to the banks after they lost OUR money wheeling and dealing in market's they had no right to be dealing in then WE the people via OUR tax's would have had to bail them out. as a working man who drive's pay's tax's and has to live I expect to be able to do so at a reasonable standard without having to forgo the pleasure's of a social life so as to earn a good standard of living, let me see how you feel how they would feel trying to live down to a wage instead of up to one, it's easier one way than the other

as a former yt worker i was glad of the job 4 wks at yt pay then on to full pay 140 quid for a 17 yr old is a lot of money but that was when we had a manufacturin industry and these jobs were available!!

what have we got now???? no industry to speak of no pride in goin to work, no motivation!!

the rich are always goin to get rich on the back of the poor its been that way since karl marx was a boy and it will never change!! and before anyone starts, im not jealous i wasnt born with the silver spoon and iv worked hard to get where i am today and its thanks to people who were willing to stand up and fight for the working woman and man and for equality, its not great but its somethin!!

the psuedo middle class, well let them think that because any day now any of us could face the chop at work or take ill and need to rely on benefits and thats when you realise life is fuckin hard when you in the underclass and no one wants to help you or care about you iv seen it happen and it aint pretty!! i for one will never forget my roots and always believe in helpin others and there for the grace of god go i, but i also believe that hard work and education are the way forward! there are some people no one can help but there are others with the determination and a helpin hand can try and make things just that bit better!!

none of us are born equal and the capitalist masters rule but a bigger force are the ones that want to be the capitalists but dont have the balls to do anythin about it they buy into the dream that is never fulfilled xx

clacton on sea

the one thing that most seem to forget is that without the man at and machine, those who are in control of their earnings wouldn't be there in the first place,behind every great capitalist is an even greater workforce, and it's time they realised that and treated the work force with the respect they truly deserve

make condoms smaller and washable ,,, the savings could run into enough to clean a mp's moat

"most childcare costs in some cases are met by the government through tax credits, but finding decent childcare that works the hrs you do can be nigh on impossible!

thats if you can find a job that is worth actually comin off benefits for and in some cases i can see why they become reliant.

hmm thats no right , iv did work for free as i call it and it was good . canny get that now though , same as you area ogf high unemployment yet folk sit about do nathing all day .

it would be great as a country if we could get back to full employment but i dont imagine it would fix every problem we have in society there have been skivers and lazy c|*&nts all through history!

i ran the local summer playscheme for a few years and it was hellish tryin to get volunteers now in an area with high levels of unemployment you would think that people with a few hrs to spare wouldnt mind gettin the experience and also the chance of trips away etc with their children but most were happy to drop them off and run then moan if somethin had to be cancelled because we were short staffed! then there was the hassle tryin to get grants etc then disclosures and meetin the legislation and blah blah!! in the end i gave in ,it was a losin battle and yet i still get people asking why i stopped doin it!! xx"

"You are confusing unscrupulous business practices with hard working folk who have become rich because they are hard working. For many captains of industry financial reward is simply a by-product of being successful. You only have to listen to Sir Alan Sugar to realise that he is rich not because he jacked up his prices and robbed the working class, but because he is a man driven by the excitement of making a deal, but he also knew that the best way to success was to give the working class products that worked and that they could afford. Amstrad equipment was by no means the best on the market but it worked and it was relatively cheap.

I find it insulting to hear people condemn the 'rich' simply for being rich. People are not equal, they never have been, and they never will be. Any attempt to make them equal is doomed to failure as every society produces brilliant minds who invent, discover and command as well those not so clever who become the workforce, and many many layers between the two. Equality is a dream destined to be forever on the horizon. Realism is ensuring that those who work are paid an adequate wage for the work they do. The Government's job is to ensure that the wages people are paid is enough to live on.

In your own word's you echo my whole argument, but more eloquently , I'm all for the worker being paid a living wage, I'm all for the rich enjoying the rewards of their success, what I am against is the rich not owning up to their mistakes then expecting the rest of us to bail them out and not get a bonus for doing so, After all if it hadn't been for the government lending OUR money to the banks after they lost OUR money wheeling and dealing in market's they had no right to be dealing in then WE the people via OUR tax's would have had to bail them out. as a working man who drive's pay's tax's and has to live I expect to be able to do so at a reasonable standard without having to forgo the pleasure's of a social life so as to earn a good standard of living, let me see how you feel how they would feel trying to live down to a wage instead of up to one, it's easier one way than the other "

just jumping in on this, you also seem to have changed the goal posts, you have gone from generalising about the rich (the benchmark for which is unclear) to lambasting bankers.

Your ideal about having this society of equals is somewhere on it's way to euphoria.

That could only be possible if everyones input was equal and I don't know how you would suggest implementing that?

It would require every person on the planet (or nationally if you wish to keep it so) having equal mental and physical abilities....are you suggesting a master race?!

Torquay

I still wince when I see people lambasting the government for shoring up the banks....have the same people stopped to think of the consequences if these banks had collapsed?

"I still wince when I see people lambasting the government for shoring up the banks....have the same people stopped to think of the consequences if these banks had collapsed?

"

from what i can work out bearin in mind economics not a strong point we would have been fucked!! major firms would have to have closed , people would have lost their homes,savings etc im i right?? xx

Oh i love the bargain shops!!

buy 1 get 1 free!! lol

"I still wince when I see people lambasting the government for shoring up the banks....have the same people stopped to think of the consequences if these banks had collapsed?

from what i can work out bearin in mind economics not a strong point we would have been fucked!! major firms would have to have closed , people would have lost their homes,savings etc im i right?? xx"

With the UK being one of the financial powerhouses of the world the ripple effect of the British banking system collapsing would have had been felt all over the world, triggering a worldwide depression. Brown was right to pour public money into the banks, and we do have a stake in these businesses now that should return a healthy profit once their balance sheets show that they can sustain themselves... I can't help feeling that some sort of deal will be done and we'll get shafted again at some point in the future, but maybe that's just my cynical nature rearing it's ugly head again lol.