FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > results from round one

results from round one

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A Populus poll for The Times showed 61 percent of the respondents gave Clegg the victory, while 22 percent said they thought Cameron won and 17 percent thought Brown won. The sample size was more than 1,000 people with a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

The next debates on April 22 and April 29 will focus on foreign policy issues and the economy, the most significant of all issues in the May 6 election.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

every poll i've read so far, bar one, has put cleggy in front....seems poor old compo brown did not fare well at all in any of the polls.

Looking forward to round 2

Winning the debates is not an indicator as to who will win the election. American debates have proven that again and again. A hung parliament is the best Clegg and the LibDems can hope for, and it's something that is in the consciousness of both the Conservatives and Labour as both Cameron and Brown were often heard saying, "Nick will agree with me on this."

A Hung parliament sounds interesting if its well hung

a hung parliament will effectively lower the gbp and hurt the economy

oh and it will mean another election within the year

im really impressed with clegg but i am thinking i will vote for the party that doesnt give us a hung parliament

"a hung parliament will effectively lower the gbp and hurt the economy

oh and it will mean another election within the year

im really impressed with clegg but i am thinking i will vote for the party that doesnt give us a hung parliament

"

A hung parliament doesn't automatically mean there will be another election later in the year.

The incumbent Prime Minister will remain in power until he or she resigns and may try to stay in government even if his or her party did not win the largest number of seats.

In 1974, Edward Heath stayed in power for four days after the election trying to put together a coalition, even though Labour had the largest number of seats in Parliament.

A party can stay in power without an absolute majority by trying to forge an alliance with a smaller party to create a coalition government, which would usually involve policy concessions and allowing members of the smaller party into the cabinet.

In some countries, instead of forming coalition governments, they have reached agreements with smaller parties that they will support the government if there is a vote in parliament aimed at bringing down the government and forcing an election.

Another possibility is for the biggest party to form a minority government with no agreements with other parties and just try to form majorities in favour of each individual bill as it comes up.

If no party is prepared to go down one of these paths then parliament will be dissolved again and there will be another election, although in effect that is relatively unlikely to happen because two elections so close together would be unpopular and the result would probably the same.

** quoted from BBC News

mmm i read that too in the times this morning

but i cant see any of them working together well

there is no way GB and DC will share and they will both try to bully NC

ego's will get in the way

in the 70's we had a 3 day week and major strikes

there is more of that to come as we need to cut costs in here and more people will fight to say "yes but not us"

im gonna put 10gdp on a hung parliament today and im gonna put another 10 it wont last 3 months before another election

» Add a new message to this topic