FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > rock time line

rock time line

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *istress-Mazikeen OP   Woman  over a year ago

bolton

I'm doing a presentation on the history of rock, has anyone got any ideas.

I know we are talking muddy walters, jonny lee hooker upto modern rock music, and with all the others inbetween, what you you include in your presentation?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

ac/dc, nirvana god too much choice!!!!!! xx

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

chuck berry

bill haley

bolton

"ac/dc, nirvana god too much choice!!!!!! xx"

Tell me about it, I am trying to educate some people who are not into rock...

By *andWnwcplCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

Have to put the pistols in there

By *avidtraceyCouple  over a year ago

Ruthin

try and start with a beginig , ie Prince Buster (google him)and the culture that came with that period. Listen to his music and where it goes - motown - blues - jimmy hendriks - rock and you will end up with ska skin punk and soft/heavy rock

Kraftwerk for being the catalyst that turned many from punk to electro pop .... also prog rock groups like Yes ... I could go on all night lol xx

bolton

that is why I am including howling wolf and muddy walters, and the original black music, as the white rock and roll music was called rockabilly. and then into the stones and the likes of quo, motorhead, ac/dc.

Most of the cords are the same.

include a section for the great rock vocalists, ie Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, Freddy Mercury, Mick Jagger etc and great instrumentalists, Eric Clapton, Keith Moon, Keith Richards, Gary Moore, The charismatic front men, Bruce Springsteen, Noddy Holder, Mercury, Plant and Daltry again, like someone has already said, we could go on all night....wish I could shag as long

bolton

" we could go on all night....wish I could shag as long "

Dont we wish we all could, but have to have some sleep sometimes.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

dont forget to mention the honky tonks of the deep south, which must be the real roots of all rock/R&B/soul/pop music

i'd say david bowie, pink floyd (definitely), deep purple, ac/dc, iron maiden. then i would bring in how rock has developed subcultures such as thrash metal bands like slayer and cradle of filth etc.

for those about to rock, we salute you!!

By *lirties4uCouple  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

If you didn't mention Led Zeppelin in your report, I would fail you.

And give you detention.

And possibly a spanking too.

bolton

"If you didn't mention Led Zeppelin in your report, I would fail you.

And give you detention.

And possibly a spanking too."

stairway to heaven, and also by Rolf Harris..just to prove you can have alternatives.

Milton Keynes

"stairway to heaven, and also by Rolf Harris..just to prove you can have alternatives."

That was so Wrong, just plain WRONG. Like Richard Madely doing Ali G or remaking The Italian Job, some things should just be left alone.

bolton

"stairway to heaven, and also by Rolf Harris..just to prove you can have alternatives.

That was so Wrong, just plain WRONG. Like Richard Madely doing Ali G or remaking The Italian Job, some things should just be left alone."

Yes I do agree I know what you mean.

why they have to remake thins that were good.

You have old School rock, new School rock and the classics.

How the hell you going to do a presentation on rock?

Start with the blues and end with Thrash.

There has been alot of changes since Back Sabbath and Deep Purple etc.

So who did come up with heavey meatl?

They say us brits, but did we?

We certainly have some kick ass bands and well there are those who just keep on Rocking.

download the new Slash CD, fing birlliant, and the track with Fergie from the Black Eyes Peas is just awsome xx

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I'm doing a presentation on the history of rock, has anyone got any ideas.

I know we are talking muddy walters, jonny lee hooker upto modern rock music, and with all the others inbetween, what you you include in your presentation?"

now if it was the history of cock i might be able to help ya

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

I know we are talking muddy walters, jonny lee hooker upto modern rock music, and with all the others inbetween, what you you include in your presentation?now if it was the history of cock i might be able to help ya "

It has a history??? Ooooo as in a book or a film??

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I know we are talking muddy walters, jonny lee hooker upto modern rock music, and with all the others inbetween, what you you include in your presentation?now if it was the history of cock i might be able to help ya

It has a history??? Ooooo as in a book or a film??"

yeah didnt ya know

I know we are talking muddy walters, jonny lee hooker upto modern rock music, and with all the others inbetween, what you you include in your presentation?now if it was the history of cock i might be able to help ya

It has a history??? Ooooo as in a book or a film?? yeah didnt ya know "

Well you live and learn

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Right...

Chuck Berry brought the blues, little Richard brought the gospel, Jerry lee Lewis brought the country, Elvis nicked the lot and became global (this is a huge simplification, not a criticism!).

This opened the door for loads of artists, including Buddy Holly who by writing his own material set more of a template for the future than he's given credit for. His influence comes through the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, the Who, who all gradually became heavier (eg Helter Skelter, Sympathy For The Devil, All Day & All of The Night and Substitute respective examples), leading to the likes of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath.

It's then a small step to AC/DC and Queen, and it's been downhill ever since!

If you really must continue forward from there, I'd suggest including

Thin Lizzy

Motorhead

Sex Pistols

Van Halen

Iron Maiden

Def Leppard

Metallica

Guns n' Roses

Nirvana

..who all had significant effects in different ways at various times.

(guess who'd discuss the history of rock all night if given the chance?)

"Right...

Chuck Berry brought the blues, little Richard brought the gospel, Jerry lee Lewis brought the country, Elvis nicked the lot and became global (this is a huge simplification, not a criticism!).

This opened the door for loads of artists, including Buddy Holly who by writing his own material set more of a template for the future than he's given credit for. His influence comes through the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, the Who, who all gradually became heavier (eg Helter Skelter, Sympathy For The Devil, All Day & All of The Night and Substitute respective examples), leading to the likes of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath.

It's then a small step to AC/DC and Queen, and it's been downhill ever since!

If you really must continue forward from there, I'd suggest including

Thin Lizzy

Motorhead

Sex Pistols

Van Halen

Iron Maiden

Def Leppard

Metallica

Guns n' Roses

Nirvana

..who all had significant effects in different ways at various times.

(guess who'd discuss the history of rock all night if given the chance?)"

AC DC any day Play it loud

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"

AC DC any day Play it loud "

Speak up, can't hear you!

By *zMaleMan  over a year ago

penzance

God This is soooooooooooooooo subjective as to where you believe rock roots actually developed.

How long is the presentation???????? You could go on for days!!!

Good luck hope all goes well but I'm with flirties, if you fail to mention Led Zep it's got to be the naughty corner for you

By *eprobatepairCouple  over a year ago

london

Ok here you go, You could dbase it on the Blues Scale.

Blues is based on the call and response of the Slave workers in the cotton fields. It started with Robert Johnson and the Crossroads Blues. As you say it went on to Howlin'Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters etc but branched out into Rock N Roll, Ska, Reggae, Rock, Metal, Pop etc

Most modern rock music is based on a 5 note scale, the Pentatonic scale. It's the basis of all guitar based rock music. The formula for nearly all rock and roll songs is Called the I,IV,V progression. RootNote eg:A, Major 4th D, Major 5th E. It's the basis of all 12 bar blues with a couple of variations. Classic rock songs based on this progression include: Johnnie Be Goode (Chuck Berry)You Really Got Me (The Kinks) Rock N Roll(Led Zeppelin) Louie Louie (Stones), Sweet Child of Mine (Guns N Roses), Caroline (Quo), Now I'm Here (Queen), I Love Rock N Roll (Joan Jett), Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Wild Thing (Troggs, Hendrix).

From the Blues came Rock a la Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, early Fleetwood Mac. Then Prog Rock: Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd. Hard Rock: AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Deep Pruple, UFO, which became the New Wave of British Heavy Metal like Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Saxon. Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest which begat Thrash metal: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax. Glam Rock gave us Bowie, Slade, T Rex, Roxy Music. This morphed into Punk with The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Undertones, or went glam like Duran Duran, Spandau ballet, Rich Kids or more arty punk like The Stranglers, The Jam (mods) or Magazine. The keyboard orientated stuff gave us Gary Numan, The Human League, Depeche Mode etc Then there was the Oi Oi/Rude boy ska bands like Madness, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, which sidelined into Bad Manners, The Beat, The Selecter. UB 40, The Specials etc Reggae gave us Steel Pulse, UB 40 and The Police.

Often the most successful bands are a fusion of different styles like The Police, Queen, Bowie, U2, Dire Straits, The Who, Santana etc.

The US gave us post New York Dolls punk like Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones, Bruce Springsteen etc and AOR like The Eagles, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Journey.

They morphed into Hair metal like Bon Jovi, Europe, Guns N Roses, Van Halen Whitesnake (tho they were once a blues rock band)etc. Then it goes into Stuff like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Creed or RHCP, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and so forth.

The common denominator is that it all goes back to the Blues.

Finally there are the three leviathans of rock that defy any classification, John "Ozzy" Osbourne, Keith "The human riff" Richards and Ian "Lemmy a fiver" Kilminster. All three should be dead by now, in fact I Keef is actually dead but the drugs haven't worn off as yet.

Hope that helps.

Milton Keynes

When you say History of Rock, you don't mean, like, volcanic rock, lava, etc do you? If so, this thread is seriously off topic...

bolton

"Ok here you go, You could dbase it on the Blues Scale.

Blues is based on the call and response of the Slave workers in the cotton fields. It started with Robert Johnson and the Crossroads Blues. As you say it went on to Howlin'Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters etc but branched out into Rock N Roll, Ska, Reggae, Rock, Metal, Pop etc

Most modern rock music is based on a 5 note scale, the Pentatonic scale. It's the basis of all guitar based rock music. The formula for nearly all rock and roll songs is Called the I,IV,V progression. RootNote eg:A, Major 4th D, Major 5th E. It's the basis of all 12 bar blues with a couple of variations. Classic rock songs based on this progression include: Johnnie Be Goode (Chuck Berry)You Really Got Me (The Kinks) Rock N Roll(Led Zeppelin) Louie Louie (Stones), Sweet Child of Mine (Guns N Roses), Caroline (Quo), Now I'm Here (Queen), I Love Rock N Roll (Joan Jett), Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Wild Thing (Troggs, Hendrix).

From the Blues came Rock a la Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, early Fleetwood Mac. Then Prog Rock: Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd. Hard Rock: AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Deep Pruple, UFO, which became the New Wave of British Heavy Metal like Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Saxon. Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest which begat Thrash metal: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax. Glam Rock gave us Bowie, Slade, T Rex, Roxy Music. This morphed into Punk with The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Undertones, or went glam like Duran Duran, Spandau ballet, Rich Kids or more arty punk like The Stranglers, The Jam (mods) or Magazine. The keyboard orientated stuff gave us Gary Numan, The Human League, Depeche Mode etc Then there was the Oi Oi/Rude boy ska bands like Madness, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, which sidelined into Bad Manners, The Beat, The Selecter. UB 40, The Specials etc Reggae gave us Steel Pulse, UB 40 and The Police.

Often the most successful bands are a fusion of different styles like The Police, Queen, Bowie, U2, Dire Straits, The Who, Santana etc.

The US gave us post New York Dolls punk like Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones, Bruce Springsteen etc and AOR like The Eagles, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Journey.

They morphed into Hair metal like Bon Jovi, Europe, Guns N Roses, Van Halen Whitesnake (tho they were once a blues rock band)etc. Then it goes into Stuff like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Creed or RHCP, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and so forth.

The common denominator is that it all goes back to the Blues.

Finally there are the three leviathans of rock that defy any classification, John "Ozzy" Osbourne, Keith "The human riff" Richards and Ian "Lemmy a fiver" Kilminster. All three should be dead by now, in fact I Keef is actually dead but the drugs haven't worn off as yet.

Hope that helps."

Your on my wave length, as I have downloaded from youtube, howling wolf and muddy walters as the start all ready, I do have a bit of time to get this perfected, that is until middle of august, but will take time as have to show it to a club I belong, to get them to understand my interest in rock.

Thanks./

bolton

"When you say History of Rock, you don't mean, like, volcanic rock, lava, etc do you? If so, this thread is seriously off topic..."

Oh no not at all totally rock music.

"When you say History of Rock, you don't mean, like, volcanic rock, lava, etc do you? If so, this thread is seriously off topic...

Oh no not at all totally rock music."

Nothing wrong with liking the good stuff

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

We had to study "another brick in the wall" at school, cant even bare to here it ever since

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

Just print out the words to "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC.

You'd have to include Nirvana - Smell's Like Teen Spirit, it's an anthem and a classic tune.

and november rain

"and november rain"

...and Purple Rain even.

Hey mr tamberine man

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Les Paul. You really do need to include him, he is without doubt the Godfather of Rock music. Without him there would have been no electric guitar, the icon that makes rock music.

He invented the electric guitar when all other instrument makers laughed him out of their doors saying it was a flash in the pan and would never replace the old acoustics. Google his name, plenty of info out there.

By *eprobatepairCouple  over a year ago

london

"Les Paul. You really do need to include him, he is without doubt the Godfather of Rock music. Without him there would have been no electric guitar, the icon that makes rock music.

"

Think you have to also give kudos to Leo Fender, if you ask a small child to draw an electric guitar they draw a Fender Stratocaster. People may laugh but the Shadows were a huge influence on people like Rory Gallagher, Brian May, Gary Moore and Ritchie Blackmore. Not forgetting the Beatles too.

Do a google search for Pete Frame and Rock Family trees. Wonderful stuff.

"Les Paul. You really do need to include him, he is without doubt the Godfather of Rock music. Without him there would have been no electric guitar, the icon that makes rock music.

He invented the electric guitar when all other instrument makers laughed him out of their doors saying it was a flash in the pan and would never replace the old acoustics. Google his name, plenty of info out there."

Les Paul also invented multi-track recording, which is quite massive thing... used in the making of every tune you will hear on the radio today

"Have to put the pistols in there"

Nooooo, they were just a bloody boyband, cleverly managed and directed be Malcolm McLaren (R.I.P).

bolton

Think you have to also give kudos to Leo Fender, if you ask a small child to draw an electric guitar they draw a Fender Stratocaster. People may laugh but the Shadows were a huge influence on people like Rory Gallagher, Brian May, Gary Moore and Ritchie Blackmore. Not forgetting the Beatles too.

Do a google search for Pete Frame and Rock Family trees. Wonderful stuff."

And what about Bert Weedon?? excellent guitar player.

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

oh, not a thread on geology then? skulks back out

bob seager rocks my socks!! xx

» Add a new message to this topic