Standing at Football

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Should it be reintroduced?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Might not be a bad idea cos when I go to Old Trafford half of my arse is always perched on the seat of the guy sitting next to me.

And I dont even know him

Those seats are not built for big arses I tell ya...

"Might not be a bad idea cos when I go to Old Trafford half of my arse is always perched on the seat of the guy sitting next to me.

And I dont even know him

Those seats are not built for big arses I tell ya..."

Is that the reason they are consulting on this?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i think it was mistake making it all seated but if the change goes ahead who will pay for grounds to be altered again likes of premier league clubs maybe able to absorn cost but could put lower league clubs out of business.

Each club should be able to decide whats best and practical for them.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"

Those seats are not built for big arses I tell ya...

Is that the reason they are consulting on this?"

Yep, I had to have a word...

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

no i dont ...remember standing on the terraces and when a goal went in,the surge behind you nearly knocked you into the middle of next week !

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Standing areas should be reintroduced in my opinion. It creates a better atmosphere and keeps you a damned sight warmer in the winter games

I have stood in the Leppings Lane End and can appreciate how congested it was at that terrible time

Although i wasnt born at the time of happening my dad has told me about what happened when he was at ibrox on the day the disaster. He was sitting at stairway 13 and if he hadnt left when he did he would of been caught up in the horror that occurred so no i dont think seating should be replaced by standing again.

bristol

weve had the ibrox and hillsbrough disasters ...i dont really understand why anyone would want to go back to those days

By *astpoetMan  over a year ago

where the world takes me

Of course it should be, i've been a season ticket holder since the mid eighties (yup older than i look) and i'd say it's more dangerous now where people stand in seated areas.

The problem back in the day wasn't standing, it was terrible stadiums, fences, people acting like dicks by rushing the gates to get in and the police.

If you look at germany there's safe standing for thousands every week and never a problem.

Also the naive idiot in me thinks the price might go down a bit, but in my heart i know that's not the case.

"weve had the ibrox and hillsbrough disasters ...i dont really understand why anyone would want to go back to those days "

where the world takes me

"weve had the ibrox and hillsbrough disasters ...i dont really understand why anyone would want to go back to those days

"

Hillsbourgh wasn't due to standing, as the findings of the report showed.

bristol

"

Hillsbourgh wasn't due to standing, as the findings of the report showed."

i think stampedeing forward and getting in a crush situation would have been a great deal more difficult with rows of chairs in the way

where the world takes me

"

Hillsbourgh wasn't due to standing, as the findings of the report showed.

i think stampedeing forward and getting in a crush situation would have been a great deal more difficult with rows of chairs in the way "

Having been to football for many, many years i'd say that you're fucked what ever if they don't let you onto the pitch or into the empty sections at the side!

bristol

"

Having been to football for many, many years i'd say that you're fucked what ever if they don't let you onto the pitch or into the empty sections at the side!"

have to agree with that comment as well ..certainly not a good idea

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Standing is perfectly safe if a terrace is not allowed to become overcrowded

where the world takes me

"

Having been to football for many, many years i'd say that you're fucked what ever if they don't let you onto the pitch or into the empty sections at the side!

have to agree with that comment as well ..certainly not a good idea "

To be honest the only serious injury i've had at football was due to seats, we scored the person infront knocked me over the seat infront of me and i fractured a rib!

If it'd been safe standing with the barriers in the way it'd never have happened.

I've never seen any problems at rugby matches!

Allow standing in front of your seat then no problem. Rows of seats stop surges and also control crowd numbers.

where the world takes me

"Allow standing in front of your seat then no problem. Rows of seats stop surges and also control crowd numbers. "

Rows of seats caused me a broken rib. Safe standing, numbered so you know how many can fit, with chest height barriers (like in germany) is by far and away the safest thing.

If Standing is to be returned to Football Stadiums then the Numptys who throw Fireworks and Flares have to be stopped first or there will be another Disaster.

Gary

Unofficially the section I'm in at the games is allowed to stand. The games are 100x better.

And having seen it done properly in Germany, I would give a lot for it to be replicated here.

"I've never seen any problems at rugby matches! "

I have to agree with that comment!!

They have done a lot of research into large standing crowds and massive improvements have been made at music festivals over the last couple of years. If this sort of research is done before standing areas are allowed in football grounds then I'm all for it. I just don't want a return to the conditions like those I remember from the Kop where if you were unlucky enough to be behind a barrier then you spent a lot of the game being squashed. Admittedly everyone looked after one another pulling you up if you stumbled or pushing back when the crowd surged, but no football should ever loose there life at a game again due to crowd control

"Should it be reintroduced?

"

Yes it should...

I used to be a regular at Elland Road in the 80's and the atmosphere was electric. Seating subdues the crowd & there is much less singing & level of noise. Going to football matches has never been the same since.

By *tarling and RobinCouple  over a year ago

middlesex

Being a 6 footer most grounds seating areas are too small to actually sit.

Atmosphere far better during the "standing days"

Prefer going to Non League footy now anyway.

But yes agree safe standing should be brought back. Should not be able to get numbers into the ends like at the Hillsborough tragedy. Ticketing process far better at most grounds.

By *ovable roguesCouple  over a year ago

GATESHEAD

"i think it was mistake making it all seated but if the change goes ahead who will pay for grounds to be altered again likes of premier league clubs maybe able to absorn cost but could put lower league clubs out of business.

Each club should be able to decide whats best and practical for them."

it would pay for itself as more ppl would start going again an on top of that lets say a seating area holds 10,000 it wud hold at least 15,000 which 5000 more tickets sold 19 times a season tho personally i dont think it will be a good idea as the hooligan element would return as its easier to hide whilst stood

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Unofficially the section I'm in at the games is allowed to stand. The games are 100x better.

And having seen it done properly in Germany, I would give a lot for it to be replicated here."

This... I have stood on the largest stand in Europe in Dortmund and they have no issues....

The emirates was built with safe standing in mind... So if it ever comes back, the seats in the lower bowl behind the goals could be taken out

"Standing is perfectly safe if a terrace is not allowed to become overcrowded "

This

9 times outta 10 when I've been to a wolves game the majority including me do end up standing up for most the game, through getting excited and caught up in the moment so I wouldn't say no to standing at games.

But there aren't any large rugby stadiums with standing allowed

I'm all for terracing coming back to football (and then we would have the added benefit of standing in rugby in dual use stadiums.

Twickenham is definitely better as an all seater though.

What about short people - do they see anything with standing?

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Everyone should wear weeble shoes. Then, when there is a crowd surge, you will wobble but not fall down.

I think a lot of lessons have been learned since those horrible days. Standing can be controlled and kept safe. I am a season ticket holder for my local and only stand. The atmosphere is so much better. Land get dull on away away games when we can't stand. Can't beat the atmosphere when we were in league one on the terraced games like Yeovil away were awesome

I think sitting should stay. Having taken my daughter to a few games if it were standing she wouldn't have seen a thing. If we are to take this game to the next generation of home grown talent we should give them the opportunity to appreciate it as fans first.

"What about short people - do they see anything with standing?"

NO! but who cares

By *taffsfella1Man  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

"I think sitting should stay. Having taken my daughter to a few games if it were standing she wouldn't have seen a thing. If we are to take this game to the next generation of home grown talent we should give them the opportunity to appreciate it as fans first. "

There would still be seating areas for those who choose to sit. I think following the German model of terraces for Bundesliga matches which can be easily converted into all-seater stands is definitely the way forward.

At the moment, many premier league away followings all stand up so people do not have the option to sit. In the lower leagues, some stand, some sit, which if there are plenty of empty seats is fine, if it's a sell-out then it creates problems.

By *ouplekinkCouple  over a year ago

kink town

Yes it should without a doubt, I think the majority of football fans want it and most clubs want it back.

By *otebonydeluxeWoman  over a year ago

earls barton

Yes it should as it create a better atmosphere.too many stadium are like Church no noise.

Stand up for the Champions

By *taffsfella1Man  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

"Yes it should as it create a better atmosphere.too many stadium are like Church no noise."

That reminds me of a chant a few years ago when we started singing, "is this a library?"

I prefer to sit but standing, using the German model should be allowed. Much better atmosphere

People should sit down, and be bloody quiet, I'm trying to hear the dialog.

You wouldn't start singing at the cinema (sound of music sing a longs are excused from this)

"weve had the ibrox and hillsbrough disasters ...i dont really understand why anyone would want to go back to those days "

It would be nice but it's simply not safe!

"Standing is perfectly safe if a terrace is not allowed to become overcrowded "

This is the crux of the situation, it's all about numbers as to how safe it will be.

Same thing at huge gigs, that's why they introduced huge barriers about half way down sites at festivals and at large stadium shows.

It can be made safe, with capacity limits and well placed barriers.

When you support Gateshead fc, standing seating , it dosnt matter, no crush risk with us theres only about 70 of us

By *ouplekinkCouple  over a year ago

kink town

"weve had the ibrox and hillsbrough disasters ...i dont really understand why anyone would want to go back to those days

It would be nice but it's simply not safe!"

Those events while tragic, dont boil down the the 'standing' element.

Now that we have done away with the fences and tighter control on capacity, standing will be just as safe as sitting.

Its a no-brainer for me.

This is a really emotive question for a lot of my family because of things mentioned above.

Think its worth having a look at the type of standing there looking at introducing.

Look at the German stuff. Hugely removed from the terraces of old and those still in effect at lower league and rugby

I've never seen big crowds at rugby matches - lol

» Add a new message to this topic