FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Unusual pubs

Unusual pubs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *obbyggg OP   Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

Which is the oddest or strangest you have visited? The "Crooked House" at Himley,West Midlands is strange.A pool ball (voluntary donation to charity) placed on a windowsill appears to roll uphill.I thought I wouldn't be deceived but I was.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Been there years ago...

Had to take my drink outside as the place was making me feel ill...

Have heard many have thrown up in there!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

absolutely love the place.

have had some great evenings there with people that have never been lol

moston

"absolutely love the place.

have had some great evenings there with people that have never been lol"

Have you ever been to The cider House in Wootton?

That place had a clientele that were quite ripe in the 80's.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

There's a pub just outside Derby on the A517 that's called The Fox & Hounds when approaching from Ashbourne, but if you are coming from Belper, the sign tells you it's called The Jinglers

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

have had some great evenings there with people that have never been lolHave you ever been to The cider House in Wootton?

That place had a clientele that were quite ripe in the 80's."

There used to be a cider house near Quatt that was part of our beer night out after the crooked house and red lion

moston

have had some great evenings there with people that have never been lolHave you ever been to The cider House in Wootton?

There used to be a cider house near Quatt that was part of our beer night out after the crooked house and red lion "

Its the same place! LoL Wootton at one end of the road, Quatt at the other! Is it still a biker haunt?

moston

The Swan with two Nicks in Worcester was a pub with a split personality!

dudley

There used to be a cider house near Quatt that was part of our beer night out after the crooked house and red lion Its the same place! LoL Wootton at one end of the road, Quatt at the other! Is it still a biker haunt?"

Closed down because of hassle but sells cider though shops now. Was a sign on low door way "duck or grouse"

moston

There used to be a cider house near Quatt that was part of our beer night out after the crooked house and red lion Its the same place! LoL Wootton at one end of the road, Quatt at the other! Is it still a biker haunt?

Closed down because of hassle but sells cider though shops now. Was a sign on low door way "duck or grouse" "

That's the place! woke up on the front next to my bike on many a Saturday/Sunday morning with a splitting head and a bad dose of the shakes in the 80's. Shame its gone, but I guess that's what happens to all the outlandish and fun places.

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

There used to be a pub near Greenwich, a little tiny place, looked an absolute dive but was always great fun.

Playing pool was always fun as there wasn't a flat surface or straight edge in the place. Put a pool ball by the front door, let go, give it 30-40 seconds and it would make its way back there under its own steam!

"Been there years ago...

Have heard many have thrown up in there!"

you try the tilted barrel in tipton as well not quite as bad as the crooked house but still weird

"Been there years ago...

you should try the tilted barrel in tipton as well not quite as bad as the crooked house but still weird "

dudley

There used to be a cider house near Quatt that was part of our beer night out after the crooked house and red lion Its the same place! LoL Wootton at one end of the road, Quatt at the other! Is it still a biker haunt?

Closed down because of hassle but sells cider though shops now. Was a sign on low door way "duck or grouse" That's the place! woke up on the front next to my bike on many a Saturday/Sunday morning with a splitting head and a bad dose of the shakes in the 80's. Shame its gone, but I guess that's what happens to all the outlandish and fun places."

The strange thing was it was not the bikers that caused most of the trouble in there but the boy racers out front making a racket

dudley

"Been there years ago...

you try the tilted barrel in tipton as well not quite as bad as the crooked house but still weird "

I know the place well got a life time ban, I didn't realise it was the bosses wife honest

moston

Closed down because of hassle but sells cider though shops now. Was a sign on low door way "duck or grouse" That's the place! woke up on the front next to my bike on many a Saturday/Sunday morning with a splitting head and a bad dose of the shakes in the 80's. Shame its gone, but I guess that's what happens to all the outlandish and fun places.

The strange thing was it was not the bikers that caused most of the trouble in there but the boy racers out front making a racket "

That's not so strange, when I and my friends were wearing denim and leathers there were very few places we were welcome so we were very protective of any watering hole that welcomed us. Biker pubs and clubs didn't need bouncers at the weekend to control the thugs, but when they did turn up and chance their arm we always seemed to be cast in the roll of the villains.

dudley

Closed down because of hassle but sells cider though shops now. Was a sign on low door way "duck or grouse" That's the place! woke up on the front next to my bike on many a Saturday/Sunday morning with a splitting head and a bad dose of the shakes in the 80's. Shame its gone, but I guess that's what happens to all the outlandish and fun places.

The strange thing was it was not the bikers that caused most of the trouble in there but the boy racers out front making a racket That's not so strange, when I and my friends were wearing denim and leathers there were very few places we were welcome so we were very protective of any watering hole that welcomed us. Biker pubs and clubs didn't need bouncers at the weekend to control the thugs, but when they did turn up and chance their arm we always seemed to be cast in the roll of the villains."

It the thing a bad rep is easy to get but real hard to get rid of.

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

The Knights Arms in Porthcawl

moston

The strange thing was it was not the bikers that caused most of the trouble in there but the boy racers out front making a racket That's not so strange, when I and my friends were wearing denim and leathers there were very few places we were welcome so we were very protective of any watering hole that welcomed us. Biker pubs and clubs didn't need bouncers at the weekend to control the thugs, but when they did turn up and chance their arm we always seemed to be cast in the roll of the villains.

It the thing a bad rep is easy to get but real hard to get rid of. "

And we all have a greater awareness of and a tendency to blame minorities.

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

There was a Pub in Otley that had a tarantula on the back Bar,

the landlord would let you hold it if you were big and brave ,,

By *ickndomCouple  over a year ago

Wimborne

The Yew Tree in Cauldon low, near Ashbourne, very old worldy, full of antiques, lots of the chairs are pews, lots of music boxes, all a bit spooky, even the beer was headless

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

In the 70's the landlord of the Sherriffmuir Inn near Stirling had a bear!

Pretty sure you'd not get away with that these days lol

By *anther and gothic angelCouple  over a year ago

fairy land

"The Knights Arms in Porthcawl"

They still got sawdust on the floor?

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Not a pub

but years ago a company we dealt with in Belgium had its customers come over for a product launch and the evening meal was 20 of us sat around a table with seats fixed to it and seat harnesses. then the whole thing got winched up by a crane to around 40-50 metres

moston

"Not a pub

but years ago a company we dealt with in Belgium had its customers come over for a product launch and the evening meal was 20 of us sat around a table with seats fixed to it and seat harnesses. then the whole thing got winched up by a crane to around 40-50 metres"

sounds a hoot!

"The Knights Arms in Porthcawl"

Whats unusual about it?. Is it worth a visit?

moston

Cobdens Hotel climbers bar in Capel Curig!

And the Bryn Tyrch, at the bottom of the pass(place is full of climbing history!)

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"The Yew Tree in Cauldon low, near Ashbourne, very old worldy, full of antiques, lots of the chairs are pews, lots of music boxes, all a bit spooky, even the beer was headless "

Been there a few times in ma biking days in the 80's, there's all sorts of weird shit in there

"Been there years ago...

you try the tilted barrel in tipton as well not quite as bad as the crooked house but still weird

I know the place well got a life time ban, I didn't realise it was the bosses wife honest "

did he ban his missus as well

"Which is the oddest or strangest you have visited? The "Crooked House" at Himley,West Midlands is strange.A pool ball (voluntary donation to charity) placed on a windowsill appears to roll uphill.I thought I wouldn't be deceived but I was."

Man that place make you feel d*unk after just one sip of ale.

Also those lock in pubs in Irish quarter Birmingham like The Anchor or Odd Fellows Arms, strange mix of people frequented them...

dudley

"Which is the oddest or strangest you have visited? The "Crooked House" at Himley,West Midlands is strange.A pool ball (voluntary donation to charity) placed on a windowsill appears to roll uphill.I thought I wouldn't be deceived but I was.

Man that place make you feel d*unk after just one sip of ale.

Also those lock in pubs in Irish quarter Birmingham like The Anchor or Odd Fellows Arms, strange mix of people frequented them..."

The dry dock used to have part of a barge in it

moston

The Shroppie Fly in Audlem (on the Shropshire Union Canal)

Has half an narrow boat (cut down centre) as a bar

By *ree8iveMan  over a year ago

CORNWALL

Pub in Plymouth, near Sutton Harbour had a makeover, and looked smart..asked my mate and he said 'yeah, its a gay pub now' and the new name?

'The Swallow'!

Then became G-spot....now I think its the Compass Inn....

By *unglerivermonkeyMan  over a year ago

Scarborough

Circus Tavern in Manchester claimed to be the smallest bar in europe.

Not sure if it's true or not but it is really small and cosy.

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

who remembers Mad O'Rourkes Pie Factory in Tipton?

When it first opened they sold Desperate Dan meat pies and if you ordered a fry up, it was served on a big navvies shovel.

They advertised rooms as "nearly on-suite"

"who remembers Mad O'Rourkes Pie Factory in Tipton?

When it first opened they sold Desperate Dan meat pies and if you ordered a fry up, it was served on a big navvies shovel.

"

its still there although the pies aren't what they were it was a better place before the empire expanded

"the rovers return"

Manchester somewhere,forget the name of the street,

Had loads of murders notorious pub around those part's apparently.even had serial killers in the same street.

Hillman,richard i think.

Also has the highest adultery rates in england.

Think landladys name was bet when i visited,

Or was it a dream hhhmmm....

Solihull

"

dudley

its still there although the pies aren't what they were it was a better place before the empire expanded "

It expanded and then went bust and owned by a new bloke now, def not the same

Solihull

years ago they used to have a bath in the middle of the floor filled with coins(no idea why unless it was for charity)

there battered chips were gorgeous !

dudley

"years ago they used to have a bath in the middle of the floor filled with coins(no idea why unless it was for charity)

there battered chips were gorgeous !"

The chips were cooked in lard

Solihull

"years ago they used to have a bath in the middle of the floor filled with coins(no idea why unless it was for charity)

The chips were cooked in lard "

bugger that would have explained my expanding waist after each visit !

dudley

The chips were cooked in lard

bugger that would have explained my expanding waist after each visit !"

Black Country museum still does and they are rather nice

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

The Cider Bar in Newton Abbot, South Devon...only sells draught scrumpy, bottled cider, parsnip wine, damson wine, and other non grape wines.

Landlord only sells pints of Scrumpy to regulars..I/2 pints to newbies

Not for the faint hearted !

Solihull

didn't they used to do a faggot pie and call it the Barrymore

surprised they got away with it

dudley

"The Cider Bar in Newton Abbot, South Devon...only sells draught scrumpy, bottled cider, parsnip wine, damson wine, and other non grape wines.

Landlord only sells pints of Scrumpy to regulars..I/2 pints to newbies

Not for the faint hearted !"

Thatchers in Somerset does similar, you got to love cider bars

dudley

"didn't they used to do a faggot pie and call it the Barrymore

surprised they got away with it"

I think they did faggots and peas mmmmm

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"Been there years ago...

you try the tilted barrel in tipton as well not quite as bad as the crooked house but still weird "

I'd say that is the dodgy pub....

By *ulie and PaulCouple  over a year ago

stockportish

3stags head nr wardlow mire Derbyshire

Once you have been you'll never forget it

Either think its the best pub you have been in or the worse

Watch out for the black lurcher beer!!

We think its great

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

Has anyone been to Dirty Nelly's in Hull old town?

The wall and ceiling look like they've been painted with a mixture of nicotine and shit

They used to serve a great pint of Guinness though

» Add a new message to this topic