FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Positive debate here hopefully, lol.

Positive debate here hopefully, lol.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Firstly I am not going to judge people who are on benefits as we all know there is a bad stigma attached to it. Even if the case is genuine. Anyway my point is. It doesn't matter if you can't work due to ill health, been made redundant, or work part/full time. Everyone should be entitled to a decent standard of living whether its having the appropriate balanced diet when in and out of school, which include "luxuries" shall we say. For example, juices, fruit, salads, yogurts, all types of meat, bread and even the odd snack such as crisps/chocolate bars. Good education and easy access to medical help/medicine should be available also. Of course they all cost a lot of money. So the government is cutting back on benefits when people in society are in need for these things.

Anyway my main point was. What would you class as a luxury and what would you say you need to live your everyday life without a struggle?

I have seen people list mobile phones and the Internet as a necessity, but I think they are more of a luxury, but that's my opinion and I am willing to listen to what people think about this.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

In this day and age a mobile phone and internet access is not a luxury but a necessity. Even more so for those on benefits or seeking work.

Much of the government's plans rely on us accessing the government services and benefits through the internet. Most potential employers would expect you to check them out on the internet and in a lot of cases apply via the internet. They also like to be able to get hold of people quickly and easily and so a mobile phone is a necessity.

My luxury is to be able to afford a regular massage. I've had to cut down on luxuries this last year or so.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

A basic payg mobile is essential to almost everyone of school leaving age to enable them to be available for work if offered an opportunity. i this, i that & i the other, I would class as luxuries. The internet is available at most libraries.

I know the world has moved on since I left school, but we managed

"A basic payg mobile is essential to almost everyone of school leaving age to enable them to be available for work if offered an opportunity. i this, i that & i the other, I would class as luxuries. The internet is available at most libraries.

I know the world has moved on since I left school, but we managed "

We did but we applied for jobs in writing and received an inter_iew or rejection in writing. Or there was a card in the window and we went in and asked.

We filled in forms in person for benefits and waited on the post.

Libraries are closing in lots of areas and travelling to one with internet access may cost more to get to than keeping access at home if you have to go every day for job search purposes.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Swinging is a luxury, obviously it depends on the extend, the travel, the accommodation, the clubs etc.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Buying M&S food is a luxury. If I was unemployed and had virtually no money, I'd spend a lot of time cooking food from basic food stuffs. Time rich / asset poor. My health would be a priority.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

ps.. Not exlusive to people on some form of benefit, I answered in general terms

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nights out are luxury in my eyes. Swinging is for fun luxury if you can travel and stay away weekends at a time, I do agree phones and internet are necessity nowadays my friend whos been made redundant - couldnt afford broadband/doesnt use phone for internet really struggled to fill her forms in cause they refused to do it over the phone if the library close by had Internet. Bloody joke!

"Swinging is a luxury, obviously it depends on the extend, the travel, the accommodation, the clubs etc.

"

It is and it's not cheap. It is a luxury I keep at the moment but on a budget.

"A basic payg mobile is essential to almost everyone of school leaving age to enable them to be available for work if offered an opportunity. i this, i that & i the other, I would class as luxuries. The internet is available at most libraries.

I know the world has moved on since I left school, but we managed "

The Internet is available at library's but from where I live there isn't one close enough to walk to. Cost of public transport is £3.60 return. If your expected to look for a job 5 days a week it probably works out cheaper to have the Internet. So I would say the Internet is a necessary item.

My luxury is a bottle of vodka and some redbull every so often.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

one man's luxury is another man's necessity. I know of people who consider a dishwasher a necessity and people who consider a cream cake once a week a luxury.

For the purposes of this thread I would say that a mobile phone and access to the net is a necessity. Also if you are made redundant half way through a contract on the latest phone or a broadband package what do you do?

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Point taken about internet access as you even have to put a claim for JSA now on line

If the government sanctioned this then surely they should make access available to everyone including those in rural areas

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

If the government sanctioned this then surely they should make access available to everyone including those in rural areas "

You'd think wouldn't you.

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

Fags, booze, tv+licence and takeaways are luxuries that a lot of people think are necessities. Life is easier with dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines but you can live without them. A lot of people think that cars are necessities but the mot, tax, insurance etc are optional extras...

"In this day and age a mobile phone and internet access is not a luxury but a necessity. "

Is it though?..

I think those two things are down to laziness.

It's evolved humans into lazy asses that's what.

I'm guilty! But case in point.

"Fags, booze, tv+licence and takeaways are luxuries that a lot of people think are necessities. Life is easier with dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines but you can live without them. A lot of people think that cars are necessities but the mot, tax, insurance etc are optional extras..."

How would you go about washing clothes without a washing machine? The rest I agree with you and are all luxuries.

Is right to cancel these "luxuries" though for people on long term benefit due to bad health or people who refuse to go out looking for work?

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

"Fags, booze, tv+licence and takeaways are luxuries that a lot of people think are necessities. Life is easier with dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines but you can live without them. A lot of people think that cars are necessities but the mot, tax, insurance etc are optional extras...

How would you go about washing clothes without a washing machine? The rest I agree with you and are all luxuries.

Is right to cancel these "luxuries" though for people on long term benefit due to bad health or people who refuse to go out looking for work? "

A sink or bath and wash stuff by hand. It worked for a few thousand years. I'm not saying take it away. It's a modern luxury. Being a little sceptical I doubt many people on benefits spend 12 hours a day looking for work... I also understand that some people may not be physically able to do their washing by hand. But then it would not be a luxury...

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I disagree a washing machine is a luxury. I had to live without one for several months recently.

Handwashing clothes is laborious but possible. However it's not possible to wash bedding and towels well by hand on a long term basis. Plus without a machine to spin them in, drying them is a nightmare, (I didn't have anywhere outdoors I could hang them).

Saying it's been done for x years doesn't take account of how times have changed. Mangles used to be used in lieu of a spin cycle. They're not that easily available these days and you'd still need somewhere to use it.

I change my bedding and wash my towels weekly. That just wouldn't be possible if handwashing them.

The solution, I thought, was to use a laundrette. Except they've nearly all closed because everyone has a washing machine. I lived in a fairly large town at the time. It had one laundrette, on the other side of town, several miles from where I lived. To get there would have taken two buses (each way) and it would have cost around £5 (return). I can't remember what the cost of the machines and driers was but it was very expensive. The place was also filthy, run down and very poorly maintained.

A washing machine is not a luxury. Anyone who thinks so should try living without a washing machine, a tumble drier and outside hanging space for a few months.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Sky, hairdressers, nail bar, cabs, online grocery shopping would be a luxury. Everything else, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher et al necessities!

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Sky, hairdressers, nail bar, cabs, online grocery shopping would be a luxury. Everything else, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher et al necessities!"

1st sentence I agree with, 2nd is utter bollox

Online grocery shopping can make sense, so I am not sure I'd call it a luxury.

It's easier to make a list and stick to it when shopping online, avoiding impulse buys and potentially saving more than the delivery charge, (which can be as low as £1-2 depending on the total cost of the shop and the slot chosen, but more often is £3-5).

Added to that the availability of websites designed to compare prices to enable one to work out where the shop would be cheapest and to suggest lower priced alternatives, shopping for groceries online can save money.

And if you factor in the value and potential of your saved time it can be even more worthwhile.

For people who don't have a car and live beyond walking distance of a supermarket I would think online grocery shopping would be the best option available all round.

By *ebsCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Orpington/london

"

If the government sanctioned this then surely they should make access available to everyone including those in rural areas

You'd think wouldn't you."

the government did run a scheme were low income families (with kids at certain ages) got a laptop and internet free or at a major discount a couple of years ago. Im not sure if they still run it now.

By *lubcouple2Couple  over a year ago

newport

[Removed by poster at 24/09/13 06:16:27]

Essentials would be landline phone, car, mobile, internet, tv (not a luxury), food, roof over head - obviously not necessarily in this order. The list could be endless.

Luxuries for me would be my hairdos, sugaring, nails and feet maintenance and my make-up.

A tumble drier is very useful, certainly, and possibly could be considered a necessity for those with young children. I've managed without one (due to lack of space for one) for 2 and a half years now. It's a nuisance, especially in winter, but it's manageable.

A dishwasher is a nice to have but very definitely a luxury.

I used to use Freecycle a lot but I left eventually because I couldn't cope with the frequency of people requesting things that were clearly luxury items and expecting others to give them for free. The sense of entitlement in some was sickening.

Common examples included people asking for top of the line coffee machines, electric breadmakers, ice cream makers, laptops, ipods etc. "I want a Dyson" was common too. If you need a vacuum cleaner, imo you should be grateful for any working vacuum cleaner anyone offers, not post demanding a certain (always expensive) brand.

The one that grated most though went something like "I want an iphone for my son/daughter. Must be the latest model otherwise they will get bullied at school". This wasn't a one-off request either, but a regular occurrence (from different people). And naturally once someone was cheeky enough to try, plenty of others jumped on the bandwagon.

I also liked the ones that said "I want a dishwasher/tumble drier/washing machine/fridge freezer/large electrical item and you must be able to deliver it". Delivery was also expected to be free, usually.

"I disagree a washing machine is a luxury. I had to live without one for several months recently.

Handwashing clothes is laborious but possible. However it's not possible to wash bedding and towels well by hand on a long term basis. Plus without a machine to spin them in, drying them is a nightmare, (I didn't have anywhere outdoors I could hang them).

Saying it's been done for x years doesn't take account of how times have changed. Mangles used to be used in lieu of a spin cycle. They're not that easily available these days and you'd still need somewhere to use it.

I change my bedding and wash my towels weekly. That just wouldn't be possible if handwashing them.

The solution, I thought, was to use a laundrette. Except they've nearly all closed because everyone has a washing machine. I lived in a fairly large town at the time. It had one laundrette, on the other side of town, several miles from where I lived. To get there would have taken two buses (each way) and it would have cost around £5 (return). I can't remember what the cost of the machines and driers was but it was very expensive. The place was also filthy, run down and very poorly maintained.

A washing machine is not a luxury. Anyone who thinks so should try living without a washing machine, a tumble drier and outside hanging space for a few months."

I agree. My washing machine broke down when my kids were young. A toddler and a baby create mounds of washing sometimes. Plus the other stuff. Was I supposed to handwash? Luckily my mum offered to do it and we had outdoor space to hang it but some aren't so lucky

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I can't currently work due to some major health issues and it will be some months before I can even consider working again.

I signed up to a new contract with sky shortly before my diagnosis and it would have been more expensive to cancel than to continue. It also turned out to be a godsend when I was housebound - both tv and internet.

When I am well enough to work again it's looking unlikely that I can return to my previous job so I'll be jobhunting and the job centre expects you to be able to apply online for jobs so an internet deal is regarded by them as essential!

Since I have a lot (26 in 20 days) of hospital appointments I regard my car as essential too. It's a ten minute drive but public transport would be three buses, around an hour (with good connections and no problems) and cost £5:50 a day. I could use patient transport but I'm sure that would cost the state a fortune!

As for washing clothes by hand; well I have some movement problems and would struggle to lift heavy, waterlogged items, especially to peg them on the line.

The dishwasher has also been essential, especially when I was very ill and was struggling to move - in fact at one point I had to get osmeone to load and unload it as I couldn't! So the thought of standing at a sink washing dishes which I couldn't even lift into the dishwasher!. It also sterilizes your dishes which helps when you're very run down as it reduces the chances of other bugs.

Luxuries imo include holidays, beauty treatments, massages, spa days, gym membership, Sky TV, big flat screen TVs, surround sound systems, expensive hobbies such as horse riding, golf and flying, restaurant trips, designer clothes, expensive alternatives to cheaper options (Rigby & Peller or Agent Provocateur underwear for example), high end cosmetics and perfume, private healthcare and alcohol.

However I believe everybody needs some luxuries in life. Those on low incomes could be expected to budget carefully and make sacrifices for those luxuries and to have them in limited amounts but I genuinely feel most people should have at least a little more than basic subsistence. Even those on benefits.

It's difficult to remember sometimes with the government and the media ramming the concept of "handouts" and "free money" down our throats, but many people worked and paid tax and NI, contributing to a system supposed to help them when they needed it. Insurance, if you will. Should that contribution really entitle them to only a bare life devoid of any nice things? (People who have never paid into the system are a different case entirely in my _iew).

I rarely hear people complaining that they pay their car insurance but haven't had an accident and that their money has gone to subsidise someone else's misfortune.

Still this isn't a thread about the entitlements of people on benefits so I apologise for the digression.

"I can't currently work due to some major health issues and it will be some months before I can even consider working again.

I signed up to a new contract with sky shortly before my diagnosis and it would have been more expensive to cancel than to continue. It also turned out to be a godsend when I was housebound - both tv and internet.

When I am well enough to work again it's looking unlikely that I can return to my previous job so I'll be jobhunting and the job centre expects you to be able to apply online for jobs so an internet deal is regarded by them as essential!

Since I have a lot (26 in 20 days) of hospital appointments I regard my car as essential too. It's a ten minute drive but public transport would be three buses, around an hour (with good connections and no problems) and cost £5:50 a day. I could use patient transport but I'm sure that would cost the state a fortune!

As for washing clothes by hand; well I have some movement problems and would struggle to lift heavy, waterlogged items, especially to peg them on the line.

The dishwasher has also been essential, especially when I was very ill and was struggling to move - in fact at one point I had to get osmeone to load and unload it as I couldn't! So the thought of standing at a sink washing dishes which I couldn't even lift into the dishwasher!. It also sterilizes your dishes which helps when you're very run down as it reduces the chances of other bugs."

Good points. Health and circumstances can have a huge impact on what is essential and what is a luxury.

My comments so far have related only to people in good health and without serious physical limitations.

By *athnBobCouple  over a year ago

sandwell

Mobile phone "essential"? What a load of tosh.

Landline and internet, yes I can agree with that due to government incentives but a mobile?

I owned a mobile about 10 years ago. I put £10 credit on it and 2 years later it still had £6 on it when the battery died through lack of use and not bothering to keep it charged. I never bothered to replace it. I do not feel disadvantaged/isolated/in danger for not having one.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"In this day and age a mobile phone and internet access is not a luxury but a necessity.

Is it though?..

I think those two things are down to laziness.

It's evolved humans into lazy asses that's what.

I'm guilty! But case in point. "

My daughter was made redundant in the early part of the summer. Had she not had the internet she would not have been able to apply for the new job which she begins next Monday. The same as her last job which was more than 6 years ago. And for that one she had to do an online literacy and numeracy test.

Relative poverty: if you are the only person in your street who doesn't have Sky TV then by it's definition you are living in poverty

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

We were in this situation about a year ago after Mr B lost his job and had to claim JSA for a few months.

It is amazing what you can live without when we have to and have no choice.

I don't believe that home internet is essential (helpful but not essnetial), we cut our Virgin TV, broadband and landline off as at the time cost around £100 per month - we managed!

Mobile phone was the only thing we couldn't cut due to a sim only contract but that was only £7.50 per month so managable.

It wasn't fun and it wasn't easy but it was a eye opening experience. Nearly lost our home in those few months as we couldn't pay our mortgage. Without the help and support of our families we would have lost everything.

London

[Removed by poster at 24/09/13 07:44:04]

London

"Sky, hairdressers, nail bar, cabs, online grocery shopping would be a luxury. Everything else, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher et al necessities!

1st sentence I agree with, 2nd is utter bollox "

Utter bollox to YOU, not for ME, you rude man. The question was what do you consider a luxury: that's MY opinion!

I'm unemployed at the moment but waiting for new job to start, when I've been out shopping for food I didn't but a bottle of because I classed that as a luxury

London

I think some people are missing the point (as usual)! The question was what we, individually, saw as luxury or necessity to OUR lives.

Both my daughters have new cars, I take public transport, a car is a luxury for me. People have stated they are unemployed but need their car as it's a necessity for them. Because their necessity and mine differs doesn't make their choice bollocks!

"Sky, hairdressers, nail bar, cabs, online grocery shopping would be a luxury. Everything else, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher et al necessities!

not when you have a family. Maybe you should try doing washing for a family by hand. I did it when I had 2 children including a new born, in winter when it was snowing too. I also swept my floors with a broom and scrubbed with a scrubbing brush. It's time consuming and back breaking. My husband didn't help either

the cost of meat joints make them a luxury nowadays. Grrrr

"the cost of meat joints make them a luxury nowadays. Grrrr"

Or should I say unaffordable necessity?

"I think some people are missing the point (as usual)! The question was what we, individually, saw as luxury or necessity to OUR lives.

Both my daughters have new cars, I take public transport, a car is a luxury for me. People have stated they are unemployed but need their car as it's a necessity for them. Because their necessity and mine differs doesn't make their choice bollocks! "

If you are including people who have considered your posts and discussed them, examining why their opinion differs, or another person's opinion might differ then I apologise if I have offended you.

I'm as interested in why people have the opinions that they do as in the opinions themselves, moreso perhaps, hence my desire to discuss them rather than just provide a flat list to answer the question.

Sometimes the rationale behind someone else's opinion alters my own _iew.

surely luxuries can be totally different for each individual! Hence the name luxuries! We don't always need them but enjoy them when we're got them!

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"the cost of meat joints make them a luxury nowadays. Grrrr

Or should I say unaffordable necessity?"

Is meat a necessity? Lots of people survive quite well without it.

Internet access at the library isn't free either

Glasgow

"Internet access at the library isn't free either"

Still free in Glasgow.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Utter bollox to YOU, not for ME, you rude man. The question was what do you consider a luxury: that's MY opinion! "

I for one do not consider a dishwasher to be a necessity as most people have access to a sink, washing up liquid and a tea towel. Launderettes are also available to facilitate the cleaning of one's clothes

I shall not be drawn into a personal slanging match with you.

"Launderettes are also available to facilitate the cleaning of one's clothes "

As per my previous post, no, in some areas they aren't.

Feel free to look up RG26, an area in which I have previously lived and find the nearest laundrette. They've all closed down.

Utter bollox to YOU, not for ME, you rude man. The question was what do you consider a luxury: that's MY opinion!

I for one do not consider a dishwasher to be a necessity as most people have access to a sink, washing up liquid and a tea towel. Launderettes are also available to facilitate the cleaning of one's clothes

I shall not be drawn into a personal slanging match with you. "

a laundrette is fine if you are a single man with no, bedding,towels or heavy outer garments to wash. I can't wring out a duvet by hand no matter how hard I try. Nor a towel come to think of it. It may be a luxury but it's one I'd give up everything else for to have clean dry clothes that don't smell of damp water

My luxury wouldn't be an item. I can go without niceties. Mine would be a lovely, undisturbed sleep in a huge bed. Waking up naturally in crisp white sheets and stretching out

Is meat a necessity? Lots of people survive quite well without it."

Absolutely. Yes. I consider bacon to be one of the five main food groups and I fear without it I would not be long for this world.

"

"

Personally I agree with that.

What some consider necessities were fucking luxuries when they came to market.

What changed?

..people's mindset changed.

Glasgow

"Launderettes are also available to facilitate the cleaning of one's clothes

Feel free to look up RG26, an area in which I have previously lived and find the nearest laundrette. They've all closed down."

A laundrette used to be a sign of of a downmarket, studenty sort of area but as tenure trends have changed its not quite like that any more.

They're also an excellent way of laundering (sorry) money, like tanning salons.

Is meat a necessity? Lots of people survive quite well without it."

Survival doesn't equate to a balanced diet. I am not a vegetarian so my main source of protein should be ermm the meats I don't buy. I do however like cheese and nuts.

Oh and baked beans

"

I for one do not consider a dishwasher to be a necessity as most people have access to a sink, washing up liquid and a tea towel. Launderettes are also available to facilitate the cleaning of one's clothes.

Personally I agree with that.

What some consider necessities were fucking luxuries when they came to market.

What changed?

..people's mindset changed."

That's a very simplified way of looking at it. Other things have also changed, such as the way we live. Progress and change happen and it has been so throughout history. With those changes our needs change.

Now, more single people living alone, high street shops closing in favour of out of town megastores, smaller houses with small/no gardens (so fewer people growing their own food and no outdoor space to dry clothes), government changing the way systems and services are accessed, schools giving homework to be completed online, working from home, online training and study, totally different method of looking for a job, communities becoming less common meaning people need other ways to share/find information and services locally...

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Cookies are a necessity and so are chillies.

Old mother natures recipes are a bare necessity for life.

"Launderettes are also available to facilitate the cleaning of one's clothes

Feel free to look up RG26, an area in which I have previously lived and find the nearest laundrette. They've all closed down.

A laundrette used to be a sign of of a downmarket, studenty sort of area but as tenure trends have changed its not quite like that any more.

They're also an excellent way of laundering (sorry) money, like tanning salons."

The nearest to where I lived was 10 miles and not easily (or cheaply) accessible by public transport. I can only comment on areas I know but in North Hants laundrettes are few and far between.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Ok, I rescind my comment re washing machines as it is abundantly clear that it would be nigh on impossible for some folk with no transport to access a launderette.

It would seem that some people's perception of what is a necessity and what should be classed as a luxury differs in each individual case

My GHDs are a necessary luxury or a luxurious necessity?

My first set were a gift and they lasted 6 years, so on that basis saving £1.50 a month would buy my next pair

There is no laundrette where we live, i used to use one when we lived in a bedsit and it was expensive, its cheaper to buy a washing machine.

nobody needs sky tv, i dont think people on benefits should have a car if they have been on benefit a long time they should use public transport.

holidays, days out, and expensive takeways are luxuries people dont need.

you dont need to eat sunday roast you can eat pork steaks instead.

dishwashers are a waste of money because they use too much electric.

I would say for me personally a car is a necessity, public transport would cost me way more than a car would and I have a disabled child.. (my car is provided ) a phone again is essential and internet.

T.v. licence isn't an essential but you can't not have one unless you have no computers or tvs.

For me luxuries is anything like take away or cinema..

"There is no laundrette where we live, i used to use one when we lived in a bedsit and it was expensive, its cheaper to buy a washing machine.

nobody needs sky tv, i dont think people on benefits should have a car if they have been on benefit a long time they should use public transport.

dishwashers are a waste of money because they use too much electric."

Pork steaks cost more than a chicken.. sky is only way to get t.v. near me.. even basic channels.. there is simply no signal...

Public transport is too expensive in many areas and a car actually works out cheaper..

"There is no laundrette where we live, i used to use one when we lived in a bedsit and it was expensive, its cheaper to buy a washing machine.

Pork steaks cost more than a chicken.. sky is only way to get t.v. near me.. even basic channels.. there is simply no signal...

Public transport is too expensive in many areas and a car actually works out cheaper..

"

I didnt know that about sky tv, my sons the only person who eats meat in our house, he cant afford to run a car he has to rely on public transport when he goes to job inter_iews thats because he is a single man with no kids.

"

Have to agree on all these points. When I was married we had the top Sky package. Now we have the basic one. Admittedly tv isn't a necessity but it is, and has been since I was a child, the norm. Just think, I'd have to communicate with my children if we didn't have a tv *

*Joke, since I work evenings anyway

"T.v. licence isn't an essential but you can't not have one unless you have no computers or tvs. "

This used to be the case but it is not so now. You now only need a tv license if you watch or record tv as it is being broadcast.

You do not need a license to own a tv. You do not need a license if you only watch tv via iplayer or similar.

The TV livensing website has a very clear statement to this effect in the FAQ if anyone does not believe me.

By *obbygggMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Point taken about internet access as you even have to put a claim for JSA now on line

If the government sanctioned this then surely they should make access available to everyone including those in rural areas "

You sure about that re JSA? I don't think that's the case at all.

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"In this day and age a mobile phone and internet access is not a luxury but a necessity. Even more so for those on benefits or seeking work.

"

"Point taken about internet access as you even have to put a claim for JSA now on line

You sure about that re JSA?

I don't think that's the case at all. "

It is being rolled out in some areas...

Government Gateway I believe it is called...

If you took away all these so called luxuries from people claiming JSA....

How long do you think it would be before they are claiming something else due to depression??

"If you took away all these so called luxuries from people claiming JSA....

How long do you think it would be before they are claiming something else due to depression??"

Not saying they should take away all luxuries. people who are working have to go without and suffer from depresion too sometimes.

Dishwasher certainty not a necessity , and online grocery shopping can save money because your not tempted to buy ! I save at least £20 a week when I shop online.

Currently on benefits. I'm frugal even when I'm earning so have barely anything on subscription. I use freegle, eBay, (kids clothes joblots are amazing!) I have internet which I'd be stuck without as I use it to save money alllll the time. I never pay full price for anything. I have a youveiw box for tv which I grabbed while on a freebie offer.

My luxuries are one off purchases, or visiting friends in London. Even then I hunt out the cheapest train tickets.

One unaffordable luxury would be to pass my driving test and get a car, so many more jobs would be available.

If the government sanctioned this then surely they should make access available to everyone including those in rural areas You sure about that re JSA? I don't think that's the case at all. "

They're being very unhelpful with anyone trying to claim any other way. People have been told to go to the library and use the Internet there in some cases.

When all benefits are merged into Universal Credit, which should have started next month but has been delayed because the system isn't ready, it will require claims and management of claims to be done online only.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"They're being very unhelpful with anyone trying to claim any other way. People have been told to go to the library and use the Internet there in some cases.

When all benefits are merged into Universal Credit, which should have started next month but has been delayed because the system isn't ready, it will require claims and management of claims to be done online only."

The fact is that our government is busy transferring wealth from the poor to the rich and universal credit is just another way of disenfranchising the most vulnerable in society.

But in answer to the OP I would say that the necessities are broken into 2 groups personal and society:

The personal ones are a secure, warm and safe place to live, good nutritious food, free quality education to what ever level you are capable of achieving, free quality healthcare and free access to justice.

In addition to the above in order to have a health society there is a need to provide a certain level of entertainment (even the Romans supplied free food and entertainment to the masses), access to information and the free transfer of ideas, access to travel.

All the above cost, but the long term cost of restricting and removing them from the majority can be seen in all the failed states and in the growth of terrorism across the world.

London

"I think some people are missing the point (as usual)! The question was what we, individually, saw as luxury or necessity to OUR lives.

Both my daughters have new cars, I take public transport, a car is a luxury for me. People have stated they are unemployed but need their car as it's a necessity for them. Because their necessity and mine differs doesn't make their choice bollocks!

If you are including people who have considered your posts and discussed them, examining why their opinion differs, or another person's opinion might differ then I apologise if I have offended you.

I'm as interested in why people have the opinions that they do as in the opinions themselves, moreso perhaps, hence my desire to discuss them rather than just provide a flat list to answer the question.

Sometimes the rationale behind someone else's opinion alters my own _iew."

My comment wasn't aimed at you.

It was a general comment: one mans meat...and all that.

It was a general comment: one mans meat...and all that. "

Makes a woman gag

London

It was a general comment: one mans meat...and all that.

Makes a woman gag "

How long do you think it would be before they are claiming something else due to depression??"

what has depression got to do with it? May I ask though do you have depression?

How long do you think it would be before they are claiming something else due to depression??

what has depression got to do with it? May I ask though do you have depression?"

depression is associated with loss. Many triggers are traumatic events such as loss of loved one (death/relationship split/children leaving home), loss of job (and identity), acute medical episode with chronic after effects (eg stroke and loss of limb/speech/swallowing). Other triggers are caused by a cumulative effect, so someone struggling on low income may become isolated because they cannot afford to socialise (perceived or factual). Perhaps they "treat" themselves on odd occasions but take that away from them and what enjoyment have they got? If no enjoyment occurs then you're at risk of depression.

Meat is a necessity. My family aren't going to do without meat at all.

By *wingerdelightCouple  over a year ago

eastliegh

Alcohol fast food sky tv holidays are all luxury. But a car in most cases enable people to work

The reality is some people are crap with money. Yeah, I said it!

It's not about luxuries or necessities, It's about knowing your budget and your circumstances then purchasing within reason.

A friend of mine would see some shoes she liked, buy them and plot how broke she would be for the rest of the month. It was the same with my other mate and computer games.

As it was said earlier, it's all relative to your income and what you consider to be a luxury and a necessity. People just need to more honest with themselves.

London

"The reality is some people are crap with money. Yeah, I said it!

It's not about luxuries or necessities, It's about knowing your budget and your circumstances then purchasing within reason.

A friend of mine would see some shoes she liked, buy them and plot how broke she would be for the rest of the month. It was the same with my other mate and computer games.

As it was said earlier, it's all relative to your income and what you consider to be a luxury and a necessity. People just need to more honest with themselves."

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

As it was said earlier, it's all relative to your income and what you consider to be a luxury and a necessity. People just need to more honest with themselves."

"The reality is some people are crap with money. Yeah, I said it! "

Both my daughters have new cars, I take public transport, a car is a luxuriously for me. People have stated they are unemployed but need their car as it's a necessity for them. Because their necessity and mine differs doesn't make their choice bollocks!

It was a general comment: one mans meat...and all that. "

Cool, just checking.

I find it helpful to keep mens' meat locked up safely. It seems to help them focus.

True for a lot of people. However, with genuine poverty on the increase and a rising number of people in a situation where they simply cannot make their income stretch further and are faced with "heat or eat" choices, it's not always that simple.

When pushed to the point of going hungry to ensure their kids have food, it's quite likely the budget doesn't allow for any sort of treats or luxuries at all.

This is a reality for an increasing number of people in this country. People are committing suicide because they cannot afford to live. In some cases maybe money could be managed better but in a lot of cases this isn't down to cutting out booze or fags or nights out because there isn't anything left to cut.

"

You'd think wouldn't you."

Yes you would, you'd also expect to be able to access the internet at libraries for longer than an hour, since we now have to do a 30hr online search per week, that's a pt job with £0 pay...and they wonder why we're not swallowing it!!

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

As it was said earlier, it's all relative to your income and what you consider to be a luxury and a necessity. People just need to more honest with themselves.

True for a lot of people. However, with genuine poverty on the increase and a rising number of people in a situation where they simply cannot make their income stretch further and are faced with "heat or eat" choices, it's not always that simple.

When pushed to the point of going hungry to ensure their kids have food, it's quite likely the budget doesn't allow for any sort of treats or luxuries at all.

This is a reality for an increasing number of people in this country. People are committing suicide because they cannot afford to live. In some cases maybe money could be managed better but in a lot of cases this isn't down to cutting out booze or fags or nights out because there isn't anything left to cut."

There has been a 17% increase in people who are suffering hardship being referred to food banks (you can't get a voucher for it unless you can prove that you are destitute and have no money for food - and then you are limited to 3 times). I now spend a couple of quid extra to give stuff to my local food bank. I have been in Homeless Families and been on my uppers in the past. Struggled to buy food - even when working.

There but for the grace of god ...

It can happen to anyone in this uncertain financial climate.

depression is associated with loss. Many triggers are traumatic events such as loss of loved one (death/relationship split/children leaving home), loss of job (and identity), acute medical episode with chronic after effects (eg stroke and loss of limb/speech/swallowing). Other triggers are caused by a cumulative effect, so someone struggling on low income may become isolated because they cannot afford to socialise (perceived or factual). Perhaps they "treat" themselves on odd occasions but take that away from them and what enjoyment have they got? If no enjoyment occurs then you're at risk of depression.

"

it's also caused by your body absorbing chemicals before your brain has had time to use them. Clinical depression doesn't go away, symptoms can be controlled but you never get your old self back and your brain doesn't function how it did before the depression set in

it's also caused by your body absorbing chemicals before your brain has had time to use them. Clinical depression doesn't go away, symptoms can be controlled but you never get your old self back and your brain doesn't function how it did before the depression set in "

Do you have the references to the studies which concluded that, please?

it's also caused by your body absorbing chemicals before your brain has had time to use them. Clinical depression doesn't go away, symptoms can be controlled but you never get your old self back and your brain doesn't function how it did before the depression set in "

That's incorrect unless you're confusing it with chronic depression and continue to be medicated.

Depression can be treated in a multitude of ways, not just medication. It needs the biopsychosocial approach.

Biggest luxury for many on benefits is cigarettes! Who on earth do they afford them if they don't get enough in benefits in the first place.

"Biggest luxury for many on benefits is cigarettes! Who on earth do they afford them if they don't get enough in benefits in the first place. "

Disagree, i dont smoke but know that for those that do its like a drug, and they may have to go without other things for themselves, not their kids though. i think they should smoke less though, they would have to because they are so expensive.

can you imagine how bad your life would be being unemployed, then not being able to have a fag to make you feel better.

"Biggest luxury for many on benefits is cigarettes! Who on earth do they afford them if they don't get enough in benefits in the first place.

Disagree, i dont smoke but know that for those that do its like a drug, and they may have to go without other things for themselves, not their kids though. i think they should smoke less though, they would have to because they are so expensive.

can you imagine how bad your life would be being unemployed, then not being able to have a fag to make you feel better."

Its a luxury you don't need it to live! If someone really wants to smoke get off their arse and get a job its a huge intensive if they need it so much. I would say the same with alcohol thats a big luxury too.

A warm house and food and tv .. Nice clean clothes and a car all are luxury in this day and age with the cost of living.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

If the government sanctioned this then surely they should make access available to everyone including those in rural areas You sure about that re JSA? I don't think that's the case at all. "

100% sure in Derby anyway, it could differ in other parts of the country though.

"Alcohol fast food sky tv holidays are all luxury. But a car in most cases enable people to work

"

I know of two sets of people. One set of people have sky tv (full package) and the Internet, they go on several day trips every 2 months or so to holiday resorts. No one in the family works and there's 5 adults. They have had a 2 houses between them and they splash out on junk food as well as the basics, meat and 2 veg, etc. Plus their household repairs always get fixed for free. Apart from one adult who worked for a month in 10 years opportunity of employment age. No one in that family has ever worked and there is nothing wrong with them physically/emotionally or mentally.

Second set of people struggle to pay their bills, never mind buying basic food. So healthy/balanced food normally goes out the window. They don't go travelling and when they do its within 50ish miles as they use their free bus pass and just make a few sandwiches for the journey. They own their own home. So the structure of the house is in perfect condition, but as people maintain a nice house by fixing/replacing/decorating the things when they need doing. Due to serious ill health for both adults. The inside of the house of most rooms in terms of decorating and furniture. Things stated to fall apart and as a nice gesture. Their child decorated a few rooms and bought a 3 piece suite for them and classed it as a form of rent. So atleast they could relax somewhere nice. These people have worked about 50 years between them and all they get is their benefits cut. Whereas the other set of people. Seem to have a really easy life.

Wish I was head of this area. I'd sort the problem out as its not rocket science. Although I could be wrong . I still would love to give it a try though.

Essentials : Water , Electricity, £25 for a decent diet, and a front door which opens onto so many wonderful things and opportunities.

Everything else simply adds luxury to life.

"Wish I was head of this area. I'd sort the problem out as its not rocket science. Although I could be wrong . I still would love to give it a try though. "

Great! Let's hear it then!...

"Wish I was head of this area. I'd sort the problem out as its not rocket science. Although I could be wrong . I still would love to give it a try though.

Great! Let's hear it then!..."

I know there are a lot of people on benefit. So its easier said than done, but you can still try to the best of your ability. Basically pick an area where the benefits are high on the people who have never been in permanent employment or even a student. Like I said. A person pushing 30 who looks/acts health and has never worked before. Something must be up. So just do some private investigating. Basically spy on them without their knowledge to see how able they are. Then the authorities can proceed how they see fit. Maybe stop all forms benefit and offer them a job working for the council instead and with the money they save. Give it to the people who you see that are genuine and hard up. As I said. Easier said than done, but its worth a try as what they are doing is wrong at the moment anyway.

If the government sanctioned this then surely they should make access available to everyone including those in rural areas You sure about that re JSA? I don't think that's the case at all.

100% sure in Derby anyway, it could differ in other parts of the country though."

Yes it is right if you haven't signed up to the job centre website online your benefits are atopped and you have to attend an inter_iew regardless of wether you have searched for jobs by other means and have proof of it.

This has happened to someone I know.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

You go on a course and set up a UJ (Universal Jobmatch) account and can then apply for jobs on line, sending off prospective letters, c.v. etc. the job centre staff have access to this and can keep track of how many vacancies you have applied for using this method.

Glasgow

"You go on a course and set up a UJ (Universal Jobmatch) account and can then apply for jobs on line, sending off prospective letters, c.v. etc. the job centre staff have access to this and can keep track of how many vacancies you have applied for using this method. "

Regardless of the methods used to find vacancies and apply for jobs, I wouldn't have thought not being offered the position would be too difficult to engineer.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Possibly not, but you have to show that you have taken 14 steps p/w to look for a job, which can include many different approaches.

» Add a new message to this topic