FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do gooder

Do gooder

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

This is my Thursday rant post.

Why is a 'do gooder' derided as a bad thing?

Is a 'do badder' what we really want in society?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If it wasn't for the do gooders the world would be a better place

"If it wasn't for the do gooders the world would be a better place "

Que....???

its all subjective to what one group of people want

A do gooder is only noticed when someone is not in a good mood or the actual do gooder is no longer with them. Sad, but true.

Perhaps the best we can hope for is do no harm?

"its all subjective to what one group of people want"

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"This is my Thursday rant post.

Is a 'do badder' what we really want in society? "

For me I'd prefer if the latter did not exist, but in today's day and age for every 'do badders' there has to be at least one 'do gooder'.

However how does one define a 'do gooder'?

Some see just saying please and thank you, or holding the door open for someone, or letting a car out in the middle of rush hour. Basically, having manners. Some may see it as only buying fair trade, supporting charities by doing charity work and so on. As others have said, it is all relative.

"

"

How are you defining "do gooder".

Because my definition conflicts with most of this thread.

I love “do gooders” they are the rock of society and I have nothing but respect and admiration for their willingness and kindness of spirit ,,,,,, and I don’t think being a “do gooder” is frowned upon when done silently,

But I would agree there is a public perception some “do gooders” bang the drum a little to loudly about their own exploits, to a point where it comes over as being slightly sanctimonious and almost a slur against the characters of people who don’t have the time or inclination to get involved with the same capacity ...

do gooder whistleblower and unfortunately don't shoot the messenger.

sometimes its easier to keep out as you can land yourself in grief opening ya gob trying to help.

people like bono who thinks hes god

telling everyone to give money to people in foreign countries, because british people dont matter.

people who say we mustnt disipline kids, punish them when they are naughty, so they end up spoilt and selfish and dont know how to behave properly.

the human rights brigade who think its a good idea to molly cuddle people who have commited crimes and are in prison.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

It gets thrown about a lot when people get the hump about anyone daring to help or think about anyone not in this country that's having a bad time as proved by your other thread lickety.

Yes as Soxy said people can tend to go OTT whilst pushing their beliefs on someone else with regards to charity etc (like some celebrities do) but rather than slagging them off for bothering to get off their arses and do something for a cause they believe in then people that don't like it can just ignore it!!

"It gets thrown about a lot when people get the hump about anyone daring to help or think about anyone not in this country that's having a bad time as proved by your other thread lickety.

Yes as Soxy said people can tend to go OTT whilst pushing their beliefs on someone else with regards to charity etc (like some celebrities do) but rather than slagging them off for bothering to get off their arses and do something for a cause they believe in then people that don't like it can just ignore it!! "

To right…..

Sometimes the compulsion to help a cause can inspire people to overcome the sacrifice of receiving personal criticisms for demonstrating their passion towards helping raise awareness to unfair situations that require greater public exposure…

Kent

"It gets thrown about a lot when people get the hump about anyone daring to help or think about anyone not in this country that's having a bad time as proved by your other thread lickety.

Yes as Soxy said people can tend to go OTT whilst pushing their beliefs on someone else with regards to charity etc (like some celebrities do) but rather than slagging them off for bothering to get off their arses and do something for a cause they believe in then people that don't like it can just ignore it!!

To right…..

Sometimes the compulsion to help a cause can inspire people to overcome the sacrifice of receiving personal criticisms for demonstrating their passion towards helping raise awareness to unfair situations that require greater public exposure…

"

Exactly!!!

"If it wasn't for the do gooders the world would be a better place

Que....??? "

I was trying to point out the silliness in the statement. It seems like its taken over from the political correctness has gone mad one. How anyone trying to do good can be perceived as a bad thing is a little puzzling. As lickety said would we rather they were doing bad ?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

quite often its an easy phrase to chuck at someone with whom your views differ..

Kent

"If it wasn't for the do gooders the world would be a better place

Que....???

I was trying to point out the silliness in the statement. It seems like its taken over from the political correctness has gone mad one. How anyone trying to do good can be perceived as a bad thing is a little puzzling. As lickety said would we rather they were doing bad ? "

No but some would like to be able to tell the do gooder that they are only allowed to do good in an approved list of places, for certain people and as long as they don't have to get involved

By * Jay69Man  over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

There is a sub class of do-gooder that gives the rest a bad name.

It's the "You don't want this, and you probably won't like it, but it really is for your own good - trust me."

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"people like bono who thinks hes god

telling everyone to give money to people in foreign countries, because british people dont matter.

people who say we mustnt disipline kids, punish them when they are naughty, so they end up spoilt and selfish and dont know how to behave properly.

the human rights brigade who think its a good idea to molly cuddle people who have commited crimes and are in prison."

Any quote from someone saying that we should give aid abroad because 'british people don't matter'?

And on crime, it's kind of inconvenient that crime is actually falling, isn't it? After the last 20 years of 'do-gooding' we should be living with feral kids running rampant on every street.

By * Jay69Man  over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

"molly cuddle people who have committed crimes and are in prison."

Old debate, punish or rehabilitate.

Most criminals will be released, if treating them well and offering the opportunity to learn skills and better their education will mean they can get a job and become useful members of society - go for it.

""molly cuddle people who have committed crimes and are in prison."

Most criminals will be released, if treating them well and offering the opportunity to learn skills and better their education will mean they can get a job and become useful members of society - go for it."

trouble is too many have a better life in prison than they do out of it, so they just keep commiting crimes.

I see a 'do gooder' as someone who makes up rules and laws for the safety of others, but make the job 10x harder

health and safety is probably the best example. That's definitely gone mad because of 'do-gooders'

"

trouble is too many have a better life in prison than they do out of it, so they just keep commiting crimes."

Take squatting for example.

Apparently that's punishable by a 6 month stretch.

Wait?...

A man or lady is fooking HOMELESS..is squatting..and the law of the land considers sending them to prison on 4 square meals a day on Tax Payers money, with a bed and heating to be punishment?

That being said, my biggest goal in life since I was a teenager was helping underpriveleged kids in the UK.

When I'm rich..I've got plans.

Not going to be fucking bono but my plan is to be able to hand pick a bunch of kids from council estates. Pay for their education and if I'm rich enough, give them jobs.

Ben

My version of a do gooder that has not really helped mattees was the bloke who for years until his death fought for rehabilitation of myra hindley. I cannot remember his name for life in me.

There is world of difference between a do gooder and a good samaritan.

Do gooders had a reputation for stopping people doing what they wanted because the do gooder deems its just not the done thing regardless of other people opinions.......thats how I always interpreted it when I heard the term as a child

I hav'nt heard it in many years

"My version of a do gooder that has not really helped mattees was the bloke who for years until his death fought for rehabilitation of myra hindley. I cannot remember his name for life in me.

There is world of difference between a do gooder and a good samaritan."

That'll have been Lord Longford...... who was famously out of touch with popular opinion on many issues,,,

I didn't set a definition as it's a term I don't use. It is used on the forum A LOT though and not in a nice way.

That's why it was a Thursday rant.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Dog ooders arnt very plezant espeshully when their fur gets wet.

By *rumCoupleCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

Is a 'do badder' what we really want in society? "

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S. Lewis

Is a 'do badder' what we really want in society?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S. Lewis"

Moral busybody is a much better description than do gooder.

"Dog ooders arnt very plezant espeshully when their fur gets wet."

ha!ha!,,,,,,mate that's mint...!!!

By *arthGMan  over a year ago

sidcup

Do gooders do good but what if whilst they are doing there goodness they are causing badness for people at sametime can you still consider them as a do gooder??

"Do gooders do good but what if whilst they are doing there goodness they are causing badness for people at sametime can you still consider them as a do gooder??"

Ah! The balanced scale paradox.

Isn't do-gooder now just the Daily Mail accepted insult for anyone to the left of Genghis Khan?

"Do gooders do good but what if whilst they are doing there goodness they are causing badness for people at sametime can you still consider them as a do gooder??"

Like the mafioso and there charity donations.

That's sort of ulteriorly motivated charity.

I hate that.

Yeah. I know what my goal is as above, it would just be doing it my way.

It's also the same with world aid charities?..I'm not always 100% sure the money I donate gets there. I mean..I dont donate a lot but.... its something my parents kind of drilled into me.

I'm struggling to see why dogooders are slated.

Maybe my perception and/or literal definition is different...I don't know.

sidcup

"Do gooders do good but what if whilst they are doing there goodness they are causing badness for people at sametime can you still consider them as a do gooder??

I hate that.

It's also the same with world aid charities?..I'm not always 100% sure the money I donate gets there. I mean..I dont donate a lot but.... its something my parents kind of drilled into me.

"

I don't understand charity organisations as they know how much the likes of footballers and bankers and those type of jobs our on yet they try to plug there campaign to the majority of people who could probably do with some form of charitable help themselves but don't ask for it As my mum said charity starts at home

By *win PeaksCouple  over a year ago

Northamptonshire

Most criminals will be released, if treating them well and offering the opportunity to learn skills and better their education will mean they can get a job and become useful members of society - go for it.

trouble is too many have a better life in prison than they do out of it, so they just keep commiting crimes."

I have known a couple of people that have been in prison and from what yhey have told me it's noyhing like as easy as the newspapers say.

Dave

"Do gooders do good but what if whilst they are doing there goodness they are causing badness for people at sametime can you still consider them as a do gooder??

I hate that.

I don't understand charity organisations as they know how much the likes of footballers and bankers and those type of jobs our on yet they try to plug there campaign to the majority of people who could probably do with some form of charitable help themselves but don't ask for it As my mum said charity starts at home "

sidcup

trouble is too many have a better life in prison than they do out of it, so they just keep commiting crimes.

I have known a couple of people that have been in prison and from what yhey have told me it's noyhing like as easy as the newspapers say.

Dave"

I don't think uk prison is that harsh to be fair hence why we get an influx of homeless people in prison around winter as sleeping rough on the streets may kill them and the bed with the tv in he room sounds almost budget hotel to me also if you use hard drugs your given substitutes for it that means your off your face majority of time so hardly dwelling on your crimes I'd say merely held and released

DaveI don't think uk prison is that harsh to be fair hence why we get an influx of homeless people in prison around winter as sleeping rough on the streets may kill them and the bed with the tv in he room sounds almost budget hotel to me also if you use hard drugs your given substitutes for it that means your off your face majority of time so hardly dwelling on your crimes I'd say merely held and released "

» Add a new message to this topic