FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > A Nation of debt

A Nation of debt

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I have to be honest and say until i read it on the forums i had no idea how this bedroom tax and council tax support would actually affect people.

I have since read up on it.

How are people supposed to pay it?

I was looking up how much a single person gets aweek and its around £80 a week, then they will have to pay around £20 a week out of it?

For those that live in 3 bedroomed properties it works out around £140 a month.

Now i know people can put their name down for smaller properties which i believe are not enough to meet the demands, but even if they are going to be allocated a smaller home they still have to pay this until they get one.

How do they think people can give them money that they dont physically have.

There will be so many people getting into debt and even loosing their homes because of this. Im not one for politics never have been but i just dont understand how you can take something someone doesnt have

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"...............

................"

That's the Tories for you.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"...............

That's the Tories for you.

"

If you have a place with,say, 2 bedrooms a living room and a dining room are they going to count the dining room as one too many and look at it as if you have 3 bedrooms?

What constitutes a bedroom?

Do councils count all rooms except kitchen and bathroom as "living rooms"?

I totally agree with you! I work just now, so it doesn't quite affect me yet, live alone, have 2 bedrooms and get access to my kids, (so i need the extra room for when they stay with me). I have decorated/furnished my flat to make it a comfy home.

But, if i lose my job in the future i would either be made homeless due to the fact that i wouldn't be able to afford it, or, be forced to move into a one bedroom flat and lose out on my kids staying with me!

Maybe it's the incentive people need to stop renting and buy their own homes. The govt shouldn't be in the business of being a landlord, it's up to individual people to rectify their living circumstances, but alas some people are happy to remain social tenants all their lives and let the taxpayer foot the bill for it.

I wholeheartedly agree with this government's policy of making people live in houses more suitable to their needs than to allow them to continue living in a home that is much too large for them (for whatever reason) whilst bigger families are cramped into houses too small for them.

Your home is only YOUR home if you own it, if you are a tenant you are at the whim and mercy of your landlord.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It's an ill-thought out policy and whilst the aims to redistribute housing and reduce waiting lists is admirable taking £30 off of £71 a week to pay for a room that is used by children, albeit not full time, is bonkers.

Local authorities are complaining about cost-shunting but then they do it to their suppliers and service users too. There won't be anywhere left to shunt the costs soon.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Maybe it's the incentive people need to stop renting and buy their own homes. The govt shouldn't be in the business of being a landlord, it's up to individual people to rectify their living circumstances, but alas some people are happy to remain social tenants all their lives and let the taxpayer foot the bill for it.

I wholeheartedly agree with this government's policy of making people live in houses more suitable to their needs than to allow them to continue living in a home that is much too large for them (for whatever reason) whilst bigger families are cramped into houses too small for them.

Your home is only YOUR home if you own it, if you are a tenant you are at the whim and mercy of your landlord."

It really isn't in the gift of every person to afford home ownership.

Glasgow

"Maybe it's the incentive people need to stop renting and buy their own homes. .............."

That's eactly the sort of thinking which caused the problems we're now in.

People with no income, job or assets (ninja's) being encouraged to take mortgages they could never afford.

Let's not forget either that it isn't just social tenants who can have their housing costs paid by DWP.

Tenants of private landlords can access Housing Benefit and those in receipt of certain benefits are eligible for mortgage interest support.

Curiously enough, it's only tenants of social landlords who are being targetted by DWP.

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Maybe it's the incentive people need to stop renting and buy their own homes. The govt shouldn't be in the business of being a landlord, it's up to individual people to rectify their living circumstances, but alas some people are happy to remain social tenants all their lives and let the taxpayer foot the bill for it.

Your home is only YOUR home if you own it, if you are a tenant you are at the whim and mercy of your landlord."

And just where are these people going to get the money from for a mortgage lol. Not everyone is on benefit because they are lazy and idle, it affects everyone of working age, including the disabled.

So if your a 55 year old disabled person how the heck do you think they are going to get a morgage. Sadly not everyone lives in the same bubble as you wishy

Glasgow

"If you have a place with,say, 2 bedrooms a living room and a dining room are they going to count the dining room as one too many and look at it as if you have 3 bedrooms?

What constitutes a bedroom?

Do councils count all rooms except kitchen and bathroom as "living rooms"?"

This is a question which has been being discussed for a while 'what exactly constitutes a bedroom?'

The challenge seems to be that if a council redesignate a bedroom as a boxroom (for example) that restricts the size/ gender mix of family you can let it to in future + it reduces the income the council or social landlord can derive from that home.

"

Curiously enough, it's only tenants of social landlords who are being targetted by DWP.

"

So if I understand it correctly, some social tenants on housing benefit will face a shortfall,will fall behind with their rent and possibly be evicted. the council will see it as them making themselves intentionally homeless and having to go to private landlords?

crafty bastards

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 14:59:24]

Glasgow

"

So if I understand it correctly, some social tenants on housing benefit will face a shortfall,will fall behind with their rent and possibly be evicted. the council will see it as them making themselves intentionally homeless and having to go to private landlords?

crafty bastards "

That's right, or if deemed to be unintentionally homeless the council will face a statutory duty to rehouse them.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

buy your own home then it wont affect you nice one;

some people have no idea of the state

of this country.

come to my gaff and see the amount of houses boarded up;

I'm maybe wrong here, but isn't it the 'right to buy' brigade thats got the social housing shortfall where it is today??

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 15:33:20]

By *nJ_NW_cplCouple  over a year ago

wirral

Absolute complete utter bull !!!! There are no smaller houses for people to move to. The government will end up in the European court, as was threatened by the disability groups before the Condems had a rethink and made them exempt. This will not work will cost the tax payer millions, as have all the governments proposals and the sooner they are out of power the better for our country.

Glasgow

"I'm maybe wrong here, but isn't it the 'right to buy' brigade thats got the social housing shortfall where it is today?? "

That's something else we can thank Thatcher for, eh?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There's just not joined up thinking from many of our politicians.

They implement and say things that sound good in sound bites - war on drugs, benefit scoungers, claimpdowns on this, that and the other.

There are always consequences to what we do, incl policies. Shifting people out of areas, coercing people away from their homes, where they may have child support on hand, from family, neighbours etc, will all drive misery for many.

Most of our benefits money is paid for pensions, and much of the rest to people in work, where the state subsidises employers who pay rock bottom, and then tax payers have to bail them out.

Bedroom tax seems yet another conjob, that will leave misery behind it.

We don't have any plans that will really regenerate our economy, as has been done in other countries. We have billions in unpaid taxes, that would more than cover appropriate pensions and safety net benefits for those unfortunate enough to need them. The wealthiest politicians, many of whom also don't pay full tax, and use overseas get outs etc, are not that likely to be really getting the income this country rightly deserves from the users that are here, benefit from our infrastructure, such as roads, hospitals etc, but pay next to nothing, if they even pay anything at all.

I'm almost ashamed to be living here.

I can understand some of what the govt are saying but if there aren't enough smaller houses its not fair. If people are prepared to move and signed up to say they will but there isn't a smaller property available then they shouldn't have to pay.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 15:51:56]

Glasgow

"I can understand some of what the govt are saying but if there aren't enough smaller houses its not fair. If people are prepared to move and signed up to say they will but there isn't a smaller property available then they shouldn't have to pay. "

As Sophie says (above) it's a lack of joined up thinking - unless you believe it's designed to produce the misery it will.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

and the sooner they are out of power

the better ??? they are all the same

[I know you don't care you can laugh cos

your loaded things look different from there]from a deacan blue song.

I vote tory but this lot are as bad as blair ever was

By *rcalmMan  over a year ago

leeds/bradford

effecting the low paid again!!immigration alot to answer for,,how can anybody coming to our country claim any benifits if they have not cotributed to our welfare system!!!can we go anywhere abroad and claim??all the latest media fobbing off about claim times!!gggrrr

"They implement and say things that sound good in sound bites - war on drugs, benefit scoungers, claimpdowns on this, that and the other."

Not an exclusive tory trait, Labour were/are the same

"

There are always consequences to what we do, incl policies. Shifting people out of areas, coercing people away from their homes, where they may have child support on hand, from family, neighbours etc, will all drive misery for many.

Most of our benefits money is paid for pensions, and much of the rest to people in work, where the state subsidises employers who pay rock bottom, and then tax payers have to bail them out.

"

Another non-exclusive Tory policy, Labour did just as much in their time in power too.

"

Bedroom tax seems yet another conjob, that will leave misery behind it.

We don't have any plans that will really regenerate our economy, as has been done in other countries. We have billions in unpaid taxes, that would more than cover appropriate pensions and safety net benefits for those unfortunate enough to need them. The wealthiest politicians, many of whom also don't pay full tax, and use overseas get outs etc, are not that likely to be really getting the income this country rightly deserves from the users that are here, benefit from our infrastructure, such as roads, hospitals etc, but pay next to nothing, if they even pay anything at all.

"

I remember Brown's ranting about combatting poverty, tough on crimes/causes of crime, and he even said he would personally eradicate the inability to read and write across the WORLD in his time in office. blah blah blah, they all say the same shit.

Why do I support the Conservatives?

They allow people to get ahead if they're prepared to put in the graft, unlike the other lot who want to let people start businesses at a huge risk to themselves and then demand successful businesspeople 'assist' those less fortunate.

How is it that a government can state that they want to attract investment and jobs to the UK, but make open warfare on the wealthy who make successful business possible. That's Labour for you!

"I'm maybe wrong here, but isn't it the 'right to buy' brigade thats got the social housing shortfall where it is today??

That's something else we can thank Thatcher for, eh?"

so someone who has lived and paid council rent for 20 years and then wants to buy their home (at a huge discount because of what they've paid into it) should be denied that right?

A man's home is his castle, no?

We have noticed that there has been a significant rise in mutual exchanges since people heard about the new welfare reform and how it is going to affect them.

What the government forgot though is that if someone will need to pay the bedroom tax but is under a court order for rent arrears, they are not entitled to move so it is likely that there will be a rise in evictions as people will not be able to cope with the extra rent to pay

"We have noticed that there has been a significant rise in mutual exchanges since people heard about the new welfare reform and how it is going to affect them.

What the government forgot though is that if someone will need to pay the bedroom tax but is under a court order for rent arrears, they are not entitled to move so it is likely that there will be a rise in evictions as people will not be able to cope with the extra rent to pay"

The simple solution would be to allow them to transfer the arrears to the new property, wouldn't it?

"We have noticed that there has been a significant rise in mutual exchanges since people heard about the new welfare reform and how it is going to affect them.

What the government forgot though is that if someone will need to pay the bedroom tax but is under a court order for rent arrears, they are not entitled to move so it is likely that there will be a rise in evictions as people will not be able to cope with the extra rent to pay"

Then they will place a homeless application and then that is a nightmare to make a decision from due to affordability....

Glasgow

".........A man's home is his castle, no?"

Apparently not.

As someone said (above)

"Your home is only YOUR home if you own it, if you are a tenant you are at the whim and mercy of your landlord."

".........A man's home is his castle, no?

Apparently not.

As someone said (above)

I define 'home' as something that is mine. If I'm renting, I'm renting a house, not a home.

It's all a big conspiracy!

M

Glasgow

Apparently not.

As someone said (above)

Your home is only YOUR home if you own it, if you are a tenant you are at the whim and mercy of your landlord.

I define 'home' as something that is mine. If I'm renting, I'm renting a house, not a home."

Yet (above) you use 'home' in the context of renting.

" so someone who has lived and paid council rent for 20 years and then wants to buy their home (at a huge discount because of what they've paid into it) should be denied that right?

A man's home is his castle, no?"

"I'm maybe wrong here, but isn't it the 'right to buy' brigade thats got the social housing shortfall where it is today??

That's something else we can thank Thatcher for, eh?

so someone who has lived and paid council rent for 20 years and then wants to buy their home (at a huge discount because of what they've paid into it) should be denied that right?

Just on that point, where I live there are lots of three bed council houses very nicely done out, big gardens... Lots of old age pensioners living in them, now buying them 75% off for their kids. So long as they have the house for so many years after purchase and then transfer it to the kids names they dont lose it when it comes to funding nursing home care if they need it.

As much as I think folk should be able to buy their own homes, I think this practice should be stopped, because families are effectively buying social housing stock at reduced cost to rent out or resell when granpa is gone.

Apparently not.

As someone said (above)

I define 'home' as something that is mine. If I'm renting, I'm renting a house, not a home."

Most inane comment i've heard yet!!

"effecting the low paid again!!immigration alot to answer for,,how can anybody coming to our country claim any benifits if they have not cotributed to our welfare system!!!can we go anywhere abroad and claim??all the latest media fobbing off about claim times!!gggrrr "

Where have you been mate? Didn't you see the welfare reforms that have been plastered all over the place, limiting foreign nationals use of benefits and nhs? And to your question, if you carry a eu medical card (free from government website,) you can get free access to FREE medical care

Apparently not.

As someone said (above)

I define 'home' as something that is mine. If I'm renting, I'm renting a house, not a home.

Semantics. Apologies for not being clearer.

Home = YOUR house, you OWN it.

Abode = place where you live.

OK?

(obv the dictionary doesn't interpret those words as such, but that's how I view them, just thought I'd better add that for any future attacks of semanticity you might want to have)

Its a very difficult one, but playing devils advocate, those who are fortunate to earn enough to mortgage a house buy one according to their means, ie the lawyer buys a nice big town house, the teacher a nice semi and so on.....so for those claiming benefits, why should they choose what size house they have when there are perhaps more needy families requiring space ? Unfortunately everyone has individual requirements but anyggovernment no matter on their policies will never meet everyone's ?

"I totally agree with you! I work just now, so it doesn't quite affect me yet, live alone, have 2 bedrooms and get access to my kids, (so i need the extra room for when they stay with me). I have decorated/furnished my flat to make it a comfy home.

But, if i lose my job in the future i would either be made homeless due to the fact that i wouldn't be able to afford it, or, be forced to move into a one bedroom flat and lose out on my kids staying with me! "

On the same hand, as a home owner, if I lose MY job i cant afford my large house and would have to move to a smaller one!

Apparently not.

As someone said (above)

A man's home is his castle, no?

Semantics. Apologies for not being clearer.

Home = YOUR house, you OWN it.

Abode = place where you live.

OK?

(obv the dictionary doesn't interpret those words as such, but that's how I view them, just thought I'd better add that for any future attacks of semanticity you might want to have) "

But by your rationale if you own your house its your home yes? But what if you buy your home with a mortgage does it cease to be your home, as you do not actually own it, it belongs to your creditors till paid for,so in your view it must only be a place of abode till it's paid for outright!

Puzzled

M

Call me condisending call me a nobbed. But, ( and this does not apply to all posters or members, just a few)

I left school with no formal qualifications with a alcoholic terminally unemployed father and a bone idle masquerading as being disabled mother.

I worked menial not too well paid jobs, and instead of spunk in it up the wall of a weekend, I saved a little for a rainy day, I saved enough for a deposit and bought a gaff.... Now call me what ever you want, we all knew the tax was coming in 23 months ago, why didnt you plan for it in advance, and this is where I will get slated, as I said earlier, the next comment only reflects a few a very much minority( some people's circumstances vary and saving or working is not an option) this next comment is for the few others... When it was announced the tax/charge was being brought in, why didn't you get off your arse and do something about it? Get a part time job help the community. The council owes you nothing it does not owe you a house and the government does not owe you a living. Work... If you can't afford the new "tax" get a part time job.

Controversial I know

"I have to be honest and say until i read it on the forums i had no idea how this bedroom tax and council tax support would actually affect people.

I was looking up how much a single person gets aweek and its around £80 a week, then they will have to pay around £20 a week out of it?

Now i know people can put their name down for smaller properties which i believe are not enough to meet the demands, but even if they are going to be allocated a smaller home they still have to pay this until they get one.

There will be so many people getting into debt and even loosing their homes because of this. Im not one for politics never have been but i just dont understand how you can take something someone doesnt have"

I work I would like a spare bedroom to use for an office or when people come to stay, but I can't afford it , why should someone who isn't in work have one paid for out my tax .

This or precisely what is wrong with this countries, hard working families who want to pay their own way see their neighbours who don't work getting just as much or more on benefits

"Call me condisending call me a nobbed. But, ( and this does not apply to all posters or members, just a few)

I left school with no formal qualifications with a alcoholic terminally unemployed father and a bone idle masquerading as being disabled mother.

I worked menial not too well paid jobs, and instead of spunk in it up the wall of a weekend, I saved a little for a rainy day, I saved enough for a deposit and bought a gaff.... Now call me what ever you want, we all knew the tax was coming in 23 months ago, why didnt you plan for it in advance, and this is where I will get slated, as I said earlier, the next comment only reflects a few a very much minority( some people's circumstances vary and saving or working is not an option) this next comment is for the few others... When it was announced the tax/charge was being brought in, why didn't you get off your arse and do something about it? Get a part time job help the community. The council owes you nothing it does not owe you a house and the government does not owe you a living. Work... If you can't afford the new "tax" get a part time job.

Controversial I know "

Good for you in getting on the property ladder...

Glasgow

".........(obv the dictionary doesn't interpret those words as such, but that's how I view them, just thought I'd better add that for any future attacks of semanticity you might want to have) "

How very Humpty Dumpty.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful

tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor

less.'

"Call me condisending call me a nobbed. But, ( and this does not apply to all posters or members, just a few)

Controversial I know "

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 17:12:51]

"Its a very difficult one, but playing devils advocate, those who are fortunate to earn enough to mortgage a house buy one according to their means, ie the lawyer buys a nice big town house, the teacher a nice semi and so on.....so for those claiming benefits, why should they choose what size house they have when there are perhaps more needy families requiring space ? Unfortunately everyone has individual requirements but anyggovernment no matter on their policies will never meet everyone's ? "

The problem is that its the governments policies that have led to this situation. The sale of social housing stock. The failure to build any more appropriate housing for single people and the elderly, disabled, so they take up three bed properties unneccessarily.

The mismanagement of council benefit policy so that those in private rented accomodation get only what the council assess them to need, whilst the council tenants get their whole property paid for under current rules.

The Government and the government before it are both to blame. More housing stock needs to be built to effect transfers for tenants who need them, to prevent greater arrears and homelessness. You simply cannot punish people for not moving to properties you do not have for them to move to.

The policy is flawed. The Government are seeking to raise £400 million from this. Even if the admin and incedentals were all free, as the OP quite rightly points out, you can't take money that people dont have.

"I have to be honest and say until i read it on the forums i had no idea how this bedroom tax and council tax support would actually affect people.

There will be so many people getting into debt and even loosing their homes because of this. Im not one for politics never have been but i just dont understand how you can take something someone doesnt have

I work I would like a spare bedroom to use for an office or when people come to stay, but I can't afford it , why should someone who isn't in work have one paid for out my tax .

This or precisely what is wrong with this countries, hard working families who want to pay their own way see their neighbours who don't work getting just as much or more on benefits

"

"government does not owe you a living. Work... If you can't afford the new "tax" get a part time job.

Controversial I know "

Well said I agree get a job this is a country for those that aspire to be better . Not for those that want to live on benefits .

If you want to keep your big council house pay for it . Or give it up and let another family that doesn't have a job have it

"government does not owe you a living. Work... If you can't afford the new "tax" get a part time job.

Controversial I know

Well said I agree get a job this is a country for those that aspire to be better . Not for those that want to live on benefits .

If you want to keep your big council house pay for it . Or give it up and let another family that doesn't have a job have it "

Here here

Controversial I know

If you want to keep your big council house pay for it . Or give it up and let another family that doesn't have a job have it

Here here"

As I said , thanks for the private mail abuse..... Not about any certain person on here .. Or everybody. I wasn't generalising I was throwing my two penny's in

Glasgow

All this no doubt well meant advice misses the point.

In some parts of the country there are no jobs and no smaller houses.

What the government forgot though is that if someone will need to pay the bedroom tax but is under a court order for rent arrears, they are not entitled to move so it is likely that there will be a rise in evictions as people will not be able to cope with the extra rent to pay

The simple solution would be to allow them to transfer the arrears to the new property, wouldn't it?"

The law as its stands, says that those under a court order cannot move house. Yes if we were able to move her within our stock, we can write it into her new tenancy agreement that the tenant has former tenant arrears and agreed to clear them at £X however if they moved into a property with another landlord, we find that they rarely pay off their former tenant arrears

"All this no doubt well meant advice misses the point.

In some parts of the country there are no jobs and no smaller houses."

Move ..... I did. I live and work 190 miles from

My hometown.. If you want it bad enough you will chase it...

I'm yet to see a town village city or borough that has absolutely zero jobs....

Just jobs that some people feel are below them

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

"I agree get a job this is a country for those that aspire to be better . Not for those that want to live on benefits"

You any idea how difficult it is for “Some” to get a job

Pay rises below inflation, experienced / qualified applicants offered salaries just above the minimum wage.

Yeh, so many opportunities out there, its difficult knowing which job to apply for

"

As I said , thanks for the private mail abuse..... Not about any certain person on here .. Or everybody. I wasn't generalising I was throwing my two penny's in"

This is a controversial topic perhaps it should be closed or removed,

There are two sides those that don't work and expect to be supported by the state no matter what. And this is the opinion of David cameron, we are living in a society where non working families and children grow up in a society of expecting the state to support them .

On the other hand you have hard working families that want to work only had 1 kid as that's all they could afford, only have a small home because that's all they could afford .

I think it's horrible to say but I can remember my dad complaining to the council because we had a black move in next door to us . And now people are complaining that their neighbours get more money for not working.

If you had 4 kids you could receive £500 per week in benefits it's not fair on those that work

Its a form of social cleansing if it was happening in another country the government would be criticising them.

Controversial I know "

The world must be a lovely place when looking through those shades your wearing mate!

What about the disabled that are unable to work? Where are all these jobs coming from when a lot of firms are laying guys OFF due to the

reccession? Some people really do live in their own little bubble eh!

"I agree get a job this is a country for those that aspire to be better . Not for those that want to live on benefits

Pay rises below inflation, experienced / qualified applicants offered salaries just above the minimum wage.

Yeh, so many opportunities out there, its difficult knowing which job to apply for "

So your too good for minimum wage? I suggest the only thing stopping people with the above views are the people them selves....

Controversial I know

The world must be a lovely place when looking through those shades your wearing mate!

What about the disabled that are unable to work? Where are all these jobs coming from when a lot of firms are laying guys OFF due to the

reccession? Some people really do live in their own little bubble eh!"

Er read it properly chum... I said on 3 occasions it Don't cover everyone... So get the bubbles out of your eyes and read it

birmingham

"Move ..... I did. I live and work 190 miles from

My hometown.. If you want it bad enough you will chase it..."

Oh, you may have forgotten, that advice was followed when Thatcher closed the mines / steel works, as Tebitt stated "On your Bike"

Many, many families upsticked and moved to find employment, which started the demise of communities.

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 17:30:16]

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 17:31:17]

"I agree get a job this is a country for those that aspire to be better . Not for those that want to live on benefits

Yeh, so many opportunities out there, its difficult knowing which job to apply for "

I had a job advertised in the local job centre for 6 months it was full time work use of a company car, doing window cleaning gardening and property maintenace probably 3 people applied for it , 1 I offered the job too and he said , I only applied for the job because I was forced too by the job centre, and turned it down,

I used to emply only English people, but you could guarantee they would be late ring in sick or just general idiots. One guy was always late, cost me loads in. Downtime.

I employ a polish guy , can't speak much English, but he works hard , and always on time, one day I turned up to meet him at a job, we arranged 6 am, I was there at 5.30 he turned up at 5.50 , he asked what time I was there I told him.

Next time we arranged to meet on a job , he was the 30 minutes just in case I was early.

Now what does that say about English people.

Been reading threw all the post I think the gov are right. I pay 1400 council tax a yr. Why should I pay that when their others who don't pay any council tax for people who council houses and little or no rent then they pay no council tax. Council tax pays for rubbish to be collected, police and fire service we all use the service why shouldn't we all pay towards it

Yeh, so many opportunities out there, its difficult knowing which job to apply for

I had a job advertised in the local job centre for 6 months it was full time work use of a company car, doing window cleaning gardening and property maintenace probably 3 people applied for it , 1 I offered the job too and he said , I only applied for the job because I was forced too by the job centre, and turned it down,

I used to emply only English people, but you could guarantee they would be late ring in sick or just general idiots. One guy was always late, cost me loads in. Downtime.

I employ a polish guy , can't speak much English, but he works hard , and always on time, one day I turned up to meet him at a job, we arranged 6 am, I was there at 5.30 he turned up at 5.50 , he asked what time I was there I told him.

Next time we arranged to meet on a job , he was the 30 minutes just in case I was early.

Now what does that say about English people."

You have hit the nail on the head !!!!

Controversial I know

Er read it properly chum... I said on 3 occasions it Don't cover everyone... So get the bubbles out of your eyes and read it"

You made a comment and i just asked you a question regarding that comment 'chum'! Controversial i know!

"Been reading threw all the post I think the gov are right. I pay 1400 council tax a yr. Why should I pay that when their others who don't pay any council tax for people who council houses and little or no rent then they pay no council tax. Council tax pays for rubbish to be collected, police and fire service we all use the service why shouldn't we all pay towards it "

Exactly mate

"Been reading threw all the post I think the gov are right. I pay 1400 council tax a yr. Why should I pay that when their others who don't pay any council tax for people who council houses and little or no rent then they pay no council tax. Council tax pays for rubbish to be collected, police and fire service we all use the service why shouldn't we all pay towards it

Exactly mate "

I agree

birmingham

"I used to emply only English people, but you could guarantee they would be late ring in sick or just general idiots. One guy was always late, cost me loads in. Downtime"

As an employer, I'd be embarrassed about posting that on a public forum.

Did you not do sufficient research to make sure the candidates / successful applicants what suitable for the position.

By *H.coupleCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

As I said , thanks for the private mail abuse..... Not about any certain person on here .. Or everybody. I wasn't generalising I was throwing my two penny's in

This is a controversial topic perhaps it should be closed or removed,

There are two sides those that don't work and expect to be supported by the state no matter what. And this is the opinion of David cameron, we are living in a society where non working families and children grow up in a society of expecting the state to support them .

On the other hand you have hard working families that want to work only had 1 kid as that's all they could afford, only have a small home because that's all they could afford .

I think it's horrible to say but I can remember my dad complaining to the council because we had a black move in next door to us . And now people are complaining that their neighbours get more money for not working.

If you had 4 kids you could receive £500 per week in benefits it's not fair on those that work

"

dont see why it should be removed

Controversial I know

Er read it properly chum... I said on 3 occasions it Don't cover everyone... So get the bubbles out of your eyes and read it

You made a comment and i just asked you a question regarding that comment 'chum'! Controversial i know!"

I'd already said it didn't include everyone, and only a small minority! Your point held no credence at all, I'd more than med aware it was aimed at bone idle folk

By *scariMan  over a year ago

Taunton

RUBBISH!

There are plenty of jobs! it might be a job you want to do or pay what you want, but there are jobs!

"I used to emply only English people, but you could guarantee they would be late ring in sick or just general idiots. One guy was always late, cost me loads in. Downtime

As an employer, I'd be embarrassed about posting that on a public forum.

Did you not do sufficient research to make sure the candidates / successful applicants what suitable for the position. "

We can all say our piece but for now it aint going anywhere.. I think its about those housing providers to suss what the best course of action to take to prevent homelessness and assist tenants. I for one have seen a lot of background work being done and myself has been very much involved with it and already had success with certain things.

RUBBISH!

There are plenty of jobs! it might be a job you want to do or pay what you want, but there are jobs!"

Here here

"We can all say our piece but for now it aint going anywhere.. I think its about those housing providers to suss what the best course of action to take to prevent homelessness and assist tenants. I for one have seen a lot of background work being done and myself has been very much involved with it and already had success with certain things. "

Just jobs that some people feel are below them"

Firstly well done on how you have improved your life.

Moving away is fine if you have no family that needs you, I was a full time mum until I decided that I wanted a bit of my own independence, I got a interview at a local asda working 18 hrs a week there were 14 posts all part time, they had over 2300 applicant's for 14 posts. Thankfully I was lucky. As you have been in the same situation, you most know how hard it is to get even a part time job.

M

Taunton

"

So your too good for minimum wage? I suggest the only thing stopping people with the above views are the people them selves...."

Moving away is fine if you have no family that needs you, I was a full time mum until I decided that I wanted a bit of my own independence, I got a interview at a local asda working 18 hrs a week there were 14 posts all part time, they had over 2300 applicant's for 14 posts. Thankfully I was lucky. As you have been in the same situation, you most know how hard it is to get even a part time job.

M"

Yeah I agree totally... But did you sit on your bum and wait for an employer to knock on your door? No you were proactive and perhaps your hunger and determination empressed your employer!!!!!

M

Yeah I agree totally... But did you sit on your bum and wait for an employer to knock on your door? No you were proactive and perhaps your hunger and determination empressed your employer!!!!!"

You wanted it and you went and took it!!!! Your one of a few people that share my love of trying

birmingham

"but there are jobs!"

Of course there are jobs.

Many companies paid salaries just above the minimum wage due to additional help from the Government i.e. tax credits, that funding's been dramatically cut, therefore, “some” people cannot afford to seek employment.

As for those who maybe curious, no, we don't claim benefits / we live in “Our” own home, and have no dependants.

"but there are jobs!

Many companies paid salaries just above the minimum wage due to additional help from the Government i.e. tax credits, that funding's been dramatically cut, therefore, “some” people cannot afford to seek employment.

As for those who maybe curious, no, we don't claim benefits / we live in “Our” own home, and have no dependants."

I'd totally agree with u there, I was aiming my point at those that can but won't work... If people need help they need help, but if someone is just too lazy it's their own fault x

Taunton

"but there are jobs!

As for those who maybe curious, no, we don't claim benefits / we live in “Our” own home, and have no dependants.

I'd totally agree with u there, I was aiming my point at those that can but won't work... If people need help they need help, but if someone is just too lazy it's their own fault x"

birmingham

"if someone is just too lazy it's their own fault x"

We don't know those who are labelled as “To lazy”

Yes, there are those who fiddle the benefit system, just like a few bankers / banks, fiddled the population.

The problem I have is this Government appears to be targeting “ALL” benefit claimants as lazy / on the fiddle.

Forcing through this policy will cost the nation in the long run.

Children will grow up with no stability / foundations etc., etc.,

Of course, what does Camera On and his cronies care about the long-term effect?

"if someone is just too lazy it's their own fault x

Yes, there are those who fiddle the benefit system, just like a few bankers / banks, fiddled the population.

The problem I have is this Government appears to be targeting “ALL” benefit claimants as lazy / on the fiddle.

Of course, what does Camera On and his cronies care about the long-term effect? "

It will save businesses and employees money and hopefully this money will find its way back into the system through spending and hopefully kick start the economy

And yes all workers will win, workers pay tax and buy stuff that creates jobs which makes more money which means more spending.

Unless we workers get more disposable income the economy won't grow

Get rich or die tryin'

Of course, what does Camera On and his cronies care about the long-term effect?

It will save businesses and employees money and hopefully this money will find its way back into the system through spending and hopefully kick start the economy

And yes all workers will win, workers pay tax and buy stuff that creates jobs which makes more money which means more spending.

Unless we workers get more disposable income the economy won't grow "

I like the cut of your jib

Of course, what does Camera On and his cronies care about the long-term effect? "

But they are not targeting all claimants .... Just the ones in houses that are too big for thier needs. I think either way we can't win... Tax the poor to pay the rich or whatever. All I say is, if your living in a house for "free" ( loosely use that term, bear with) why shouldn't you pay a slight surcharge for that privelage.

Now again why not let said folk carry out a 'token' job for a cpl of hours if they feel unable to afford the tax? Give them the choice ... Life is about choices xx

I've skipped a lot of this thread but i'm assuming there's the usual 'lazy bastards should get a job' comments

Has anyone pointed out that over 90% of all new housing benefit claims made in the last 2 years are made by people who actually already have jobs and are being remorselessly squeezed?

"I've skipped a lot of this thread but i'm assuming there's the usual 'lazy bastards should get a job' comments

Has anyone pointed out that over 90% of all new housing benefit claims made in the last 2 years are made by people who actually already have jobs and are being remorselessly squeezed?"

Very much think you should read the whole thing. Iv not seen that statistic .

"I've skipped a lot of this thread but i'm assuming there's the usual 'lazy bastards should get a job' comments

Has anyone pointed out that over 90% of all new housing benefit claims made in the last 2 years are made by people who actually already have jobs and are being remorselessly squeezed?

Very much think you should read the whole thing. Iv not seen that statistic ."

I can't post the link as it's not in the allowed list

the report was from 12 months ago

A report published today by research group The Building and Social Housing Foundation found that 93 per cent of new housing benefit claims made between January 2010 and December 2011 were made by households containing at least one employed adult.

The report, entitled The growth of in-work housing benefit claimants, analyses Department for Work and Pensions data and comes in the wake of the passing of the government’s Welfare Reform Act earlier this month.

The act was designed to shave £2.25 billion a year off the £22.4 billion housing benefit bill by 2014/15. It also aims to send out a message that people will be better off in work than on benefits.

The DWP said in November 2010 that its reforms would ‘reintroduce the culture of work in households where it may have been absent for generations’. But BSHF’s report shows that the vast majority of new claimants are already in work.

The number of housing benefit claimants in Great Britain increased by 300,000 to 4.95 million between January 2010 and December 2011.

Of those 300,000, 93 per cent (279,000) were households where at least one adult was employed. Since November 2008, the proportion of housing benefit claimants in work has increased from 10 per cent to 17 per cent, while the overall number of in-work claimants has doubled from 430,000 to 865,000.

‘This increase appears to be a departure from historic trends where the number of housing benefit claimants was closely associated with levels of employment,’ the report said.

Wage reductions and higher rents have been mooted by BSHF as possible reasons for the increase.

The report calls for the DWP to commission a study into the impact of the increase and warns that the government will miss its benefit savings target if the trend continues.

A DWP spokesperson denied the trend could lead to the coalition missing its savings targets. He said: ‘The DWP forecast assumptions do include the recent growth of in-work claimants.’

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 18:44:47]

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

The idea in theory, of moving social housing tenants out of houses that are clearly too big for them is not in itself unreasonable....what is unreasonable is the method that they are trying to implement to tackle the problem.

The 'I'm alright Jack's' of these forums will ALWAYS jump on discussions like this with glee to gloat at those less fortunate than themselves.

The simple fact (and the proven fact) is that there simply are not enough smaller properties to facilitate this social upheaval.

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 18:45:00]

Infancy after checking the stat gateway on the department of work and pensions, it categorically states in the last 12 months over 2/3rds are in RECIEPT of a passport benefit. So I fail to see how that adds up... That's 66.66r percent being unemployed or disabled or of pensionable age ( who of course are exempt) leaving only 33.33r percent as having a job...."

yeah the report says new claims. that's new ones

Infancy after checking the stat gateway on the department of work and pensions, it categorically states in the last 12 months over 2/3rds are in RECIEPT of a passport benefit. So I fail to see how that adds up... That's 66.66r percent being unemployed or disabled or of pensionable age ( who of course are exempt) leaving only 33.33r percent as having a job....

yeah the report says new claims. that's new ones"

It boils down to the same thing I would like to have a spare room to use as a office or for when people come to stay, but I work and can't afford the upgrade.

Why should someone who doesn't work have a spare bedroom paid for from my tax money

Infancy after checking the stat gateway on the department of work and pensions, it categorically states in the last 12 months over 2/3rds are in RECIEPT of a passport benefit. So I fail to see how that adds up... That's 66.66r percent being unemployed or disabled or of pensionable age ( who of course are exempt) leaving only 33.33r percent as having a job....

yeah the report says new claims. that's new ones

It boils down to the same thing I would like to have a spare room to use as a office or for when people come to stay, but I work and can't afford the upgrade.

Why should someone who doesn't work have a spare bedroom paid for from my tax money

"

I was highlighting that some are working.it says so in my post

"

The simple fact (and the proven fact) is that there simply are not enough smaller properties to facilitate this social upheaval. "

Take a lodger then they don't get their benefits deducted and they can keep their big house and still not work

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"The idea in theory, of moving social housing tenants out of houses that are clearly too big for them is not in itself unreasonable....what is unreasonable is the method that they are trying to implement to tackle the problem.

The 'I'm alright Jack's' of these forums will ALWAYS jump on discussions like this with glee to gloat at those less fortunate than themselves.

The simple fact (and the proven fact) is that there simply are not enough smaller properties to facilitate this social upheaval. "

Is that definitely correct concerning the smaller houses?

My ex father in law has a huge 3 bedrooms council house and refuses point blank to move. There is a family a couple of streets down in a 1 bedroomed ground floor flat desperate to move as the 2 small children aged 2 and 3 have the bedroom and the parents sleep on a sofa bed in the front room.

Will he swap? Bugger off will he.....selfish to the core. However, if the councils could effectively swap occupants, then surely there is enough currently rented stock of all sizes to get people into the right sized houses?

Or am I in dream land?

"The idea in theory, of moving social housing tenants out of houses that are clearly too big for them is not in itself unreasonable....what is unreasonable is the method that they are trying to implement to tackle the problem.

The simple fact (and the proven fact) is that there simply are not enough smaller properties to facilitate this social upheaval.

My ex father in law has a huge 3 bedrooms council house and refuses point blank to move. There is a family a couple of streets down in a 1 bedroomed ground floor flat desperate to move as the 2 small children aged 2 and 3 have the bedroom and the parents sleep on a sofa bed in the front room.

Will he swap? Bugger off will he.....selfish to the core. However, if the councils could effectively swap occupants, then surely there is enough currently rented stock of all sizes to get people into the right sized houses?

Or am I in dream land?"

You are in dreamland as I think there are less 2 beds than 3's.

So long as he is aware of the bedroom tax and the impact it will have in him, no-one can force him to move.

On the other hand if the family are also in a council property but have rent arrears, they won't get moved until they are cleared

birmingham

"Take a lodger then"

Oh brilliant

Take an single parent with numerous children, are they supposed to carry out CRB checks 1st to ensure their not inviting a paedophile / criminal into their home?

Torquay

Of course there will be individual cases where smaller properties are available on a local basis, but nationally there were far fewer One and Two bedroom council homes built during the peak social housing building programme of the 50's and 60's.

Housing associations have been trying to play catch up with increased smaller housing projects since the 90's but the demand far outweighs the actual stock.

They (the present government) are trying to squeeze more and more people into private landlord territory...the more cynical amongst us might suggest that there is a good reason for this.

"

Or am I in dream land?"

If he is in receipt of a pension it doesn't effect him and rightly so in my opinion

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Keep those ideas coming. You guys Are amazing.

I don't think I could have undersrand better this tax elsewhere

"

Take a lodger then they don't get their benefits deducted and they can keep their big house and still not work "

Council tennants are not allowed to sub let any part of their property! Plus, what about the single fathers that need a room for their KIDS to sleep in?

"Take a lodger then

Oh brilliant

Take an single parent with numerous children, are they supposed to carry out CRB checks 1st to ensure their not inviting a paedophile / criminal into their home? "

If they have numerous children they won't have a spare bedroom and get their benefit paid for.

But to pedantic note comments below

And a registered Pedo wouldn't get it agreed by his case worker to livein a home with kids . Don't you have police checks in your area, we can check for Pedo and those that have violence against partners before they move in done by the police

I think the government need to employ me as I have successful housed a few people that were in larger properties into smaller accommodation...just by sheer hard work and lots of emails

"

Take a lodger then they don't get their benefits deducted and they can keep their big house and still not work

Council tennants are not allowed to sub let any part of their property! Plus, what about the single fathers that need a room for their KIDS to sleep in? "

Get a job and pay for it show those kids that their dad worked hard to provide for them hopefully they will do the same for their children

"Take a lodger then

Oh brilliant

Take an single parent with numerous children, are they supposed to carry out CRB checks 1st to ensure their not inviting a paedophile / criminal into their home?

If they have numerous children they won't have a spare bedroom and get their benefit paid for.

And a registered Pedo wouldn't get it agreed by his case worker to livein a home with kids . Don't you have police checks in your area, we can check for Pedo and those that have violence against partners before they move in done by the police "

Aaaah. Thank god EVER single peado in this country has now been registerf and has a case worker! I must have missed that bit in the news. When did it happen?

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"

If he is in receipt of a pension it doesn't effect him and rightly so in my opinion

"

Why shouldn't he be made to move?

Upstairs is going to rack and ruin as he is unable to get up the stairs and his bedroom is now in the dining room and he is clogging up a family home because he doesn't see why he should move.

When he eventually turns his toes up, the council will be left with a property that will need a fair bit of work doing to it, costing more than if he was made to move now.

Forgive me for being harsh, but surely, even as a singular problem, he is part of the bigger problem of singles who do not need 3 or 4 bedroom properties clogging up the homes required for families in need.

"Take a lodger then

Oh brilliant

And a registered Pedo wouldn't get it agreed by his case worker to livein a home with kids . Don't you have police checks in your area, we can check for Pedo and those that have violence against partners before they move in done by the police

Aaaah. Thank god EVER single peado in this country has now been registerf and has a case worker! I must have missed that bit in the news. When did it happen?"

They are under MAPPA which has been around a few years...

"

Council tennants are not allowed to sub let any part of their property! Plus, what about the single fathers that need a room for their KIDS to sleep in?

Get a job and pay for it show those kids that their dad worked hard to provide for them hopefully they will do the same for their children"

he said single fathers not jobless fathers. do you think the two are intertwined?

"

Get a job and pay for it show those kids that their dad worked hard to provide for them hopefully they will do the same for their children"

Ok. And if their dad then lost his job? He also loses his hme or is forced to move ov, thus losing access to his kids?

"

Upstairs is going to rack and ruin as he is unable to get up the stairs and his bedroom is now in the dining room and he is clogging up a family home because he doesn't see why he should move.

When he eventually turns his toes up, the council will be left with a property that will need a fair bit of work doing to it, costing more than if he was made to move now.

Forgive me for being harsh, but surely, even as a singular problem, he is part of the bigger problem of singles who do not need 3 or 4 bedroom properties clogging up the homes required for families in need."

Older people are exempt from bedroom tax along with those that still live at home however are in the forces...

Or am I in dream land?"

why did they have 2 kids if they didnt have anywhere decent for them to live?

"Take a lodger then

Oh brilliant

Aaaah. Thank god EVER single peado in this country has now been registerf and has a case worker! I must have missed that bit in the news. When did it happen?

They are under MAPPA which has been around a few years... "

Even the ones that hasn't been caught yet? Thats quite clever eh!

"

Forgive me for being harsh, but surely, even as a singular problem, he is part of the bigger problem of singles who do not need 3 or 4 bedroom properties clogging up the homes required for families in need."

Probably because everyone knows the pensioners always turn out to vote and if cameron attacked them he would be out of a job .

And let's face it most pensioners lived through the war and made great sacrifices so we didn't have to say "heil hitler" and have half our population killed in concentration camps . I think they deserve a break

"Take a lodger then

Oh brilliant

Even the ones that hasn't been caught yet? Thats quite clever eh!"

ermmm no because they are not CONVICTED sex offenders...

Or am I in dream land?

why did they have 2 kids if they didnt have anywhere decent for them to live?"

But then we don't know their circumstances; the may not have had children when they moved I or she was pregnant. Councils don't 'count' a baby until its 12 months old as the child can sleep in the parents room for the first year. Baby no 2 could've been a complete accident

"

why did they have 2 kids if they didnt have anywhere decent for them to live?"

That's simple rather than work and saving money to buy a house with a garden ( which all kids should have to play in) they had another kid in the hope that the local council would rehouse them in a house .

And still don't do a days work in their life. I think it's 240 per week for 2 kids and a couple on benefits plus housing benefit

"Take a lodger then

Oh brilliant

Even the ones that hasn't been caught yet? Thats quite clever eh!

ermmm no because they are not CONVICTED sex offenders..."

My point exactly!

"

Forgive me for being harsh, but surely, even as a singular problem, he is part of the bigger problem of singles who do not need 3 or 4 bedroom properties clogging up the homes required for families in need.

Probably because everyone knows the pensioners always turn out to vote and if cameron attacked them he would be out of a job .

And let's face it most pensioners lived through the war and made great sacrifices so we didn't have to say "heil hitler" and have half our population killed in concentration camps . I think they deserve a break "

"

That's simple rather than work and saving money to buy a house with a garden ( which all kids should have to play in) they had another kid in the hope that the local council would rehouse them in a house .

And still don't do a days work in their life. I think it's 240 per week for 2 kids and a couple on benefits plus housing benefit "

I went back and read _adchicks post. she doesn't say that the young family are jobless so why assume that they are

? you're aimlessly ranting about things without having a clue about any of the details

Glasgow

RUBBISH!

There are plenty of jobs! it might be a job you want to do or pay what you want, but there are jobs!"

I don't know what the employment/ accomodation situation is in YOUR part of the country but I have a good understand of how it is in Glasgow and can reiterate that "In some parts of the country there are no jobs and no smaller houses."

Torquay

"

And still don't do a days work in their life. I think it's 240 per week for 2 kids and a couple on benefits plus housing benefit "

Not everyone who goes to work can afford to save up to buy a house, in fact those 'glory years' are all but over for millions of young people who face a future of high rents under private landlords.

We had the 'glory years'....the next generation are rarely going to be so fortunate as us.

"

And still don't do a days work in their life. I think it's 240 per week for 2 kids and a couple on benefits plus housing benefit

I went back and read _adchicks post. she doesn't say that the young family are jobless so why assume that they are

? you're aimlessly ranting about things without having a clue about any of the details"

Don't blame me its the government that' suggests that if you want a bigger home work for it

Torquay

RUBBISH!

There are plenty of jobs! it might be a job you want to do or pay what you want, but there are jobs!

I don't know what the employment/ accomodation situation is in YOUR part of the country but I have a good understand of how it is in Glasgow and can reiterate that "In some parts of the country there are no jobs and no smaller houses."

"

Absolutely, and unfortunately so very true....the Westcountry for instance has one of the fastest growing unemployment rates in the country...coupled with a massive shortage of smaller properties.

There just ARE NOT the job vacancies down this way, those that are tend to be amongst the lowest paying in the country on average.

The definition of a tax is a compulsory contribution to state revenue taken from workers’ pay or business profits — or added to the cost of goods and services. A reduction in the amount of Housing Benefit that is paid does not to me constitute a tax.

I live in a 3bed property and work - however, due to low income I receive housing benefit too. I have to sons who I have custody of but it is deemed that I have an extra bedroom as my sons can share. I will be affected by the changes and my housing benefit will be reduced.

I therefore have a choice - stay in my current property and make lifestyle sacrifices to do so - or move to a smaller property appropriate to the benefit I receive.

I am choosing to make sacrifices to stay in my current property as I do not think it is the responsibility of the state to subsidise my choice.

Everybody has choices in life. People should live within their means and that would enable the state to fully support those who genuinely need it.

Torquay

"

? you're aimlessly ranting about things without having a clue about any of the details

Don't blame me its the government that' suggests that if you want a bigger home work for it "

The government rely on people like you believe their rhetoric and pass it on to others....

Who needs the tabloids?

RUBBISH!

Absolutely, and unfortunately so very true....the Westcountry for instance has one of the fastest growing unemployment rates in the country...coupled with a massive shortage of smaller properties.

There just ARE NOT the job vacancies down this way, those that are tend to be amongst the lowest paying in the country on average.

"

yes but you live in Torquay surely it's worth it to stay in such a nice place

"

Don't blame me its the government that' suggests that if you want a bigger home work for it "

I'll ask again about 2 of your posts.

why did you assume the young family are jobless?

why did you assume the single father was jobless

why did you then make a sarky comment about both despite not knowing the first thing about them?

Torquay

RUBBISH!

yes but you live in Torquay surely it's worth it to stay in such a nice place "

I employ people....I live with the hard truth every day of the week.

I see them struggle to afford a privately rented home all the time.

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 19:32:10]

RUBBISH!

yes but you live in Torquay surely it's worth it to stay in such a nice place

I see them struggle to afford a privately rented home all the time."

Probably because we are talking about people in social housing that aren't getting their full rent paid anymore, because they have a spare room

Incidentally I believe that those in private landlord homes stopped having their spare rooms paid for awhile back.

Why should those in social housing get treated differently than those in privately rented,

It's a bit unfair don't you think that those in private rented homes had to downsize whilst those in social homes could stay

Torquay

Actually we are talking about people in social housing that will be required to pay 'extra' rent for unused bedrooms....

Not everyone who lives in social housing has their rent paid for them....or maybe you think they do?

Are you a Daily Mail reader per chance?

"

I see them struggle to afford a privately rented home all the time."

I see my staff struggle as well, I also see people with big families that have never worked driving round in better cars and bigger homes than my staff can afford

It's not fair on hard working families to see this , but hopefully they will bring in the law about those earning over 50 k a year ( which isn't a lot really) losing their council homes

Glasgow

"Probably because we are talking about people in social housing that aren't getting their full rent paid anymore, because they have a spare room

Incidentally I believe that those in private landlord homes stopped having their spare rooms paid for awhile back.

Why should those in social housing get treated differently than those in privately rented,

It's a bit unfair don't you think that those in private rented homes had to downsize whilst those in social homes could stay "

Eligible rents in privately rented homes are higher than in social rented homes.

"Actually we are talking about people in social housing that will be required to pay 'extra' rent for ?"

No you misunderstood it's people on benefits are not getting as much housing benefit paid for them . I believe they' are receiving 14 % les for one bedroom and 25% for more than two.

There is no tax on empty bedrooms , it's a reduction in benefit so if you normally pay 100 rent a week , you would get 86 and have to put the rest in yourself from your benefits

"

I see my staff struggle as well, I also see people with big families that have never worked driving round in better cars and bigger homes than my staff can afford

It's not fair on hard working families to see this , but hopefully they will bring in the law about those earning over 50 k a year ( which isn't a lot really) losing their council homes "

So, IF i was to lose my job in the future, i should move from a 2 bed home where i pay 440 pm to a private 1 bed home where the state would have to pay 500 pm! Great logic!

Glasgow

"

It's not fair on hard working families to see this , but hopefully they will bring in the law about those earning over 50 k a year ( which isn't a lot really) losing their council homes

So, IF i was to lose my job in the future, i should move from a 2 bed home where i pay 440 pm to a private 1 bed home where the state would have to pay 500 pm! Great logic!"

That's pretty much how it'll work. The £500 will go to a Tory chum.

Question for the room for one minute step back and think. Lets assume family x have 3 bed or 2 bed house and the kids grow and leave for example. Why should they now be penalised just because they live in social housing.

If there are suitable and enough properties for folk to downsize to which clearly there is not i could possibly see the argument put forward but seeing as there is not why hit them wheb they have no way of down sizing. Another way of taxing folk just for sake of it and social cleansing by the government.

The government via taxpayers pay royals to live in under occupied palaces so will they have same rules applied. Will they fuck.

Glasgow

"Actually we are talking about people in social housing that will be required to pay 'extra' rent for ?

No you misunderstood it's people on benefits are not getting as much housing benefit paid for them . I believe they' are receiving 14 % les for one bedroom and 25% for more than two.

There is no tax on empty bedrooms , it's a reduction in benefit so if you normally pay 100 rent a week , you would get 86 and have to put the rest in yourself from your benefits

"

That's the nonsense IDS was spinning in Edinburgh this morning.

"

So, IF i was to lose my job in the future, i should move from a 2 bed home where i pay 440 pm to a private 1 bed home where the state would have to pay 500 pm! Great logic!"

I think you have got in a nutshell or you could pay the14% extra yourself and stay where you Are

"That's pretty much how it'll work. The £500 will go to a Tory chum."

Most people are overlooking that removing the spare room subsidy was an idea first mooted by Labour.

I wish my rent was on par with the rent in social housing instead I am paying over the odds for a place I hate living in.. Only to be paying my landlord's mortgage for him...

"

So, IF i was to lose my job in the future, i should move from a 2 bed home where i pay 440 pm to a private 1 bed home where the state would have to pay 500 pm! Great logic!

I think you have got in a nutshell or you could pay the14% extra yourself and stay where you Are "

so where is the saving to the country?

hold on,,add that..take away that..carry the 5..

oh yeah,there ain't one

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

And just where are these people going to get the money from for a mortgage lol. Not everyone is on benefit because they are lazy and idle, it affects everyone of working age, including the disabled.

So if your a 55 year old disabled person how the heck do you think they are going to get a morgage. Sadly not everyone lives in the same bubble as you wishy"

"That's the nonsense IDS was spinning in Edinburgh this morning."

What's "nonsense" to some makes a lot of sense to others.

"

I think you have got in a nutshell or you could pay the14% extra yourself and stay where you Are "

From what?

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

So if your a 55 year old disabled person how the heck do you think they are going to get a morgage. Sadly not everyone lives in the same bubble as you wishy"

"of working age, including the disabled.

So if your a 55 year old disabled person how the heck do you think they are going to get a morgage. Sadly not everyone lives in the same bubble as you wishy "

If your disabled you get £300+ worth of benefits a week I am sure they can afford the top up in rent of 14%

"

I think you have got in a nutshell or you could pay the14% extra yourself and stay where you Are

so where is the saving to the country?

hold on,,add that..take away that..carry the 5..

oh yeah,there ain't one"

Lol, my point exactly! But i think they decided to gloss over that bit!

Glasgow

"That's pretty much how it'll work. The £500 will go to a Tory chum.

Most people are overlooking that removing the spare room subsidy was an idea first mooted by Labour.

"

As I recall it was one of Frank Field's 'think the unthinkable' notions and was promptly dumped.

So if your a 55 year old disabled person how the heck do you think they are going to get a morgage. Sadly not everyone lives in the same bubble as you wishy

If your disabled you get £300+ worth of benefits a week I am sure they can afford the top up in rent of 14% "

Whats 14% of the rent got to do with being able to afford a mortgage?

Glasgow

"That's the nonsense IDS was spinning in Edinburgh this morning.

What's "nonsense" to some makes a lot of sense to others."

The notion that others see it differently doesn't mean it's not nonsense.

"

If your disabled you get £300+ worth of benefits a week I am sure they can afford the top up in rent of 14% "

Spoken like a true TORY, knows nothing about the subject but everything about screwing those less fortunate.

Glasgow

"................

Did you read that in the Torygraph?

What disabled people, or any benefit claimant, gets depends entirely on their circumstances.

If your disabled you get £300+ worth of benefits a week I am sure they can afford the top up in rent of 14%

Whats 14% of the rent got to do with being able to afford a mortgage?"

I think your missing the point here it's not a tax on empty bedrooms its a reduction inbenefits that is the ammount of money the government pays towards rent

It only effects those on benefits

The notion that others see it differently doesn't mean it's not nonsense."

Is that not a somewhat pedantic response lol??

I am one of the people affected by this issue and it makes perfect sense to me.

Glasgow

I am one of the people affected by this issue and it makes perfect sense to me."

I'm sure it does.

It's still nonsense.

I've never lived in social housing or received housing benefit so this might sound like a really stupid question...

if a social tenant is receiving housing benefit from the council i assume some or all of that goes back into the councils coffers.. if someone is forced to go private and then receives the full benefit that money goes to the private landlord...

so are the council not losing money hand over fist?

I am one of the people affected by this issue and it makes perfect sense to me.

I'm sure it does.

It's still nonsense."

I have explained why I feel it makes sense in my first post on this thread. Would you care to explain exactly why you feel it is nonsense?

Whether folk agree or not how are folk expected to find the money from in reality. I am fortunate i live in private rented accom and have to find extra for council tax which i now have to pay towards which by the way am not complaining about so god knows hoe folk on low income are expected to find this along with bedroom tax.

I think your missing the point here it's not a tax on empty bedrooms its a reduction inbenefits that is the ammount of money the government pays towards rent

"

Erm, your the one that seems to be 'missing the point'! Someone mentioned getting a mortgage, and someone then asked them how would disabled people get a mortgage! Then you jumped in with a comment about 14% of the rent! I asked you what 14% of the rent has got to do with getting/not getting a mortgage! What point have i missed?

"I've never lived in social housing or received housing benefit so this might sound like a really stupid question...

if a social tenant is receiving housing benefit from the council i assume some or all of that goes back into the councils coffers.. if someone is forced to go private and then receives the full benefit that money goes to the private landlord...

so are the council not losing money hand over fist?"

And renting privately costs a LOT more than social housing ever will!

Erm, your the one that seems to be 'missing the point'! Someone mentioned getting a mortgage, and someone then asked them how would disabled people get a mortgage! Then you jumped in with a comment about 14% of the rent! I asked you what 14% of the rent has got to do with getting/not getting a mortgage! What point have i missed?"

The pointy ypur missing is pay for your own home in full on a mortgage or pay the shortfall in your rent . Like millions of other people are doing

Glasgow

"I've never lived in social housing or received housing benefit so this might sound like a really stupid question...

so are the council not losing money hand over fist?"

In social housing (council or housing association) the housing benefit comes from DWP and goes to the landlord - a public body or charity.

In private accommodation, the money comes from DWP and goes to the private landlord, often a buy to let Rachman.

Erm, your the one that seems to be 'missing the point'! Someone mentioned getting a mortgage, and someone then asked them how would disabled people get a mortgage! Then you jumped in with a comment about 14% of the rent! I asked you what 14% of the rent has got to do with getting/not getting a mortgage! What point have i missed?

The pointy ypur missing is pay for your own home in full on a mortgage or pay the shortfall in your rent . Like millions of other people are doing "

Aaah, buy my home and take away yet another house off the social housing list!

And renting privately costs a LOT more than social housing ever will! "

Welcome to my world then nd thound others.... If I lose my job I won't have to worry about 14% Id have to worry about finding a shortfall of about £150 a month....

Welcome to my world then nd thound others.... If I lose my job I won't have to worry about 14% Id have to worry about finding a shortfall of about £150 a month.... "

Hows that then? If your in private housing, and its not too big for you, then the dwp will pay your rent!

Welcome to my world then nd thound others.... If I lose my job I won't have to worry about 14% Id have to worry about finding a shortfall of about £150 a month.... "

If I lose mine I have a shortfall of 900 per month

Welcome to my world then nd thound others.... If I lose my job I won't have to worry about 14% Id have to worry about finding a shortfall of about £150 a month....

Hows that then? If your in private housing, and its not too big for you, then the dwp will pay your rent!"

Nope because its more than what Local housing allowance would pay.. which is what HB go by in terms of Private rented accommodation..