FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Male image

Male image

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

History has shown that women have faced overwhelming pressures to look and act in a particular way by the media in order to be deemed fashionable or indeed attractive. In the 50's it may have been the hour glass figure or present day the waif like figures we see on catwalks.

However there has been a massive drive on male image and how we deem we should look.

Men are obsessed with image more and more taking steroids to build muscle, etc....is this simply karma from the way women were treated or are we becoming slightly narcissistic? At a time when statistics show a massive increase in suicide amongst males in the 30-45 bracket are we losing sight of what makes us truly happy and simply trying to be what we percieve as desirable ?

And before you start, yes I'm most happy in cargos, t-shirt and my comfy northface shoes

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I hear ya bro - I'm sick of being treat like a piece of meat by these bishes.

It has undermined my masculinity.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you're interested, I'd suggest that you read the book 'The Adonis Complex', it offers a fascinating insight into the social decline of the masculine image and the resultant rise of steroid use amongst modern males.

in the night garden

"I hear ya bro - I'm sick of being treat like a piece of meat by these bishes.

It has undermined my masculinity."

Psssst just joking ladies xxx hehehehe

if I worried about what was the 'ideal' I wouldnt be on here..or approaching for meets

By *eady_eddyMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

" History has shown that women have faced overwhelming pressures to look and act in a particular way by the media in order to be deemed fashionable or indeed attractive. In the 50's it may have been the hour glass figure or present day the waif like figures we see on catwalks.

However there has been a massive drive on male image and how we deem we should look.

Men are obsessed with image more and more taking steroids to build muscle, etc....is this simply karma from the way women were treated or are we becoming slightly narcissistic? At a time when statistics show a massive increase in suicide amongst males in the 30-45 bracket are we losing sight of what makes us truly happy and simply trying to be what we percieve as desirable ?

And before you start, yes I'm most happy in cargos, t-shirt and my comfy northface shoes "

Speak for yourself, luv

True many don't worry, but there's a massive amount of pressure on younger males....as there was on women....many of us won't be affected but these are unprecedented times for the pressure placed on men and they way they should look ?

" History has shown that women have faced overwhelming pressures to look and act in a particular way by the media in order to be deemed fashionable or indeed attractive. In the 50's it may have been the hour glass figure or present day the waif like figures we see on catwalks.

And before you start, yes I'm most happy in cargos, t-shirt and my comfy northface shoes

Speak for yourself, luv"

I see what you mean

I've said it on another thread before..I fail to see why people want essentially clones of a particular sex to be attracted to

I'll never be david beckham or the like...why feel that pressure?

of course I could try buffing up a bit...but I'm far too lazy and uninterested really

And before you start, yes I'm most happy in cargos, t-shirt and my comfy northface shoes "

Hmm I didn't know they did shoes

[Removed by poster at 25/03/13 16:29:33]

Hmm I didn't know they did shoes "

trouble is I have few pairs

I wear what suits me and what I am comfy in

Normally that is jeans and a t-shirt or shirt.

I am rarely scruffy but i do reserve the right to hang round the house in jog pants and if i am feeling a real devil, i might even nip to the shop in 'em

I do however take pride in my cleanliness and am always groomed to a standard that suits me, no one else, me.

Body wise the mere mention of the words gym and sport brings me out in hives and I recognise that I Am nowhere near the ideal build for a guy to be seen as attractive to the mainstream.

I gave up trying to conform some years ago and I have now found happiness in me and know myself pretty well including both my good and bad points.

Some people like me, others dont. I feel no pressure to make others like me through either my look, my looks,my standing or my personality, but if they do thats great.

Its nice to be liked, its even nicer to be loved but not at any price, let alone compromising who I am to fit the needs and wants of others.

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Its nice when a guy makes an effort...

Not just from here or on a meet...

"Its nice when a guy makes an effort...

Not just from here or on a meet..."

True I agree all should make an effort, I'm posing the question is there too much pressure to obtain a certain look

i think people should like themselves the way they are, they would be a lot happier. so would the people around them.

its good to take a pride in your apearance though but not good to be obsessed with the way you look as there are much more important things in life.

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"Its nice when a guy makes an effort...

Not just from here or on a meet...

True I agree all should make an effort, I'm posing the question is there too much pressure to obtain a certain look "

If there is, its pressure they putting on themselves....

I think its down to the fact women are more choose these days and if you have no personality or a crap body then you are going to find it hard going with many of us ladies.

"I think its down to the fact women are more choose these days and if you have no personality or a crap body then you are going to find it hard going with many of us ladies. "

i use 110% brain power

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I struggle with how younger men choose to look these days.

Ok, I appreciate I come from Essex, but the amount of young men wandering around trying to emulate Joey Essex, and the like makes me shudder.

Skin tight trousers, tight tops and cardigans. Whilst out the other night for a birthday in a local nightclub, I had trouble telling the difference between some of the men and women.

Most shops now seem to cater for skinny men with a pre-pubescent look to them. My housemate went shopping for clothes recently after doing some muscle build up, and couldn't find anything to fit him. Everything was skinny fit.

southend

"I think its down to the fact women are more choose these days and if you have no personality or a crap body then you are going to find it hard going with many of us ladies. "

I'd take a crap body over someone who looks like Joey Essex any day of the week.

"I think its down to the fact women are more choose these days and if you have no personality or a crap body then you are going to find it hard going with many of us ladies.

i use 110% brain power"

You can't use more than 100%!

"I think its down to the fact women are more choose these days and if you have no personality or a crap body then you are going to find it hard going with many of us ladies.

I'd take a crap body over someone who looks like Joey Essex any day of the week. "

Who is he?

i use 110% brain power

You can't use more than 100%! "

the extra 10% is in my nether-brain

It's not new. Take a look at men's fashion and grooming through the centuries.

Beau Brummel was the original dandy. Men used to be more peacock-like than the ladies.

"I struggle with how younger men choose to look these days.

Ok, I appreciate I come from Essex, but the amount of young men wandering around trying to emulate Joey Essex, and the like makes me shudder.

Skin tight trousers, tight tops and cardigans. Whilst out the other night for a birthday in a local nightclub, I had trouble telling the difference between some of the men and women.

Most shops now seem to cater for skinny men with a pre-pubescent look to them. My housemate went shopping for clothes recently after doing some muscle build up, and couldn't find anything to fit him. Everything was skinny fit. "

Exactly

I would look a right twat in most of that type of clothing yet some guys still try to achieve it to remain trendy or try and look younger.

Them tshirts that are tight fitting with the neckline down to the lower chest look bloody awful on most men but you see so many guys trying to pull it off.

And dont even get me started on toms footwear

southend

I'd take a crap body over someone who looks like Joey Essex any day of the week.

Who is he? "

Someone from The Only Way is Essex. I don't watch it personally, but I work with mostly under 25's, so I feel like I know the characters personally!!

I think you are right OP. I'd never thought of that but I guess younger guys are now under a lot more pressure with regards to aesthetics... Which I. A way is nice as it means their future partners will get hotter guys.

On the other hand it also makes them much more demanding and commitment phobic. it's almost like guys are always looking for something better to co e along... Huge generalization, I know.

I'm glad I'm not single/younger (OK maybe I wish I was a bit younger) and in "the market"... It just seems so easy to be naughty and get away with it these days...

Sorry, a bit off topic. But as a MILF, I am glad younger guys are in better shape!

By *onboy777Man  over a year ago

Newark

After being a skinny runt all my life (I know I'm not that old) I know women seem to craze well built males with biceps the size of steam trains but I'm happy in my skin and what I wear not into following the fashion although the kids seem to nag if something isn't trendy enough !!

It's important to remember that this kind of pressure is an internal thing - you put pressure on yourself to look a certain way, other people or magazines or whatever don't put that pressure on you. At least not directly.

Presumably the rise in male body issues in the last few decades (I think it's pretty safe to say there has been a rise) comes from the decline of traditional gender roles. Traditionally, men were judged on their careers and women on their looks. Now women have careers as well, men don't feel like their career counts for as much and so take more interest in physical attractiveness. Something along those lines, anyway.

I can see there being further rises in male body dismorphia over the next decade or two.

Of course, being men, no one will ever admit it

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

It has undermined my masculinity."

Ah shut up and show us yer arse.....

"Traditionally, men were judged on their careers and women on their looks. Now women have careers as well, men don't feel like their career counts for as much and so take more interest in physical attractiveness. Something along those lines, anyway."

Most intelligent thing I've read on this thread thus far. In our grandparents day, men didn't care about making themselves look pretty, what mattered was how strong and fit you were (interestingly enough, the qualities from which male aesthetics are typically derived - ie a look of rugged, robust health and strength) and how effectively you could perform in manual tasks like coal mining, building, working as a farm hand etc. Some of the most fun I've had this year was helping a friends girlfriend move house - she's a beautiful girl, just the sort who has guys swarming around her like flies to honey on a night out, but those good looks weren't going to lug her fridge freezer and washing machine out to the van.

in the night garden

It has undermined my masculinity.

Ah shut up and show us yer arse..... "

» Add a new message to this topic