FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > just accept it?

just accept it?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I am trying to be really good with my diet at the moment and controlling my blood glucose levels etc. Yesterday I tried making some low carb bread made from ground flax seed and a low carb cake made frI'm ground almonds.

Both ended up in the bin!!! My dad turned round and said 'here's a thought, why dint you just not eat cake?!'

I have already cut out chocolate completely and reduced my carbs significantly bit cake might be one step too far

Should I just accept that cake can no longer be part of my diet???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you deny yourself something it just makes you want it more?!

Instead why don't you just have it as a treat that you have to earn.

Diets are shit, but everything in moderation.

Good luck with it, and if you stick to your goal. The sense of achievement will be far greater than any cake will make you feel?!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Some of the almond/chick pea cakes are good but not all - the texture can be dense and take some getting used to.

Nigella does a clementine one where you boil and then blitz the clems and it make a well flavoured cake. And some of the no flour chocolate ones are great - find one that only uses cocoa though.

And consider serving with some yoghurt or low fat creme fraiche.

Hang in there.

You will be able to eat these things in the future, but just in moderation. I'll keep my beady eye on you!

evesham

"You will be able to eat these things in the future, but just in moderation. I'll keep my beady eye on you! "

See I'm delusional as I thought that said bread eye

I never (rarely) ate chocolate or cakes until told I was diabetic.

Now they just seem to torment the ass off me at every opportunity

Ooh I made a diabetic cake for my friend when she was pregnant. I'll find the recipe for you... It was yummy!

I can't C&P it but google Splenda Apple cake. It didn't raise my friends levels any higher than her eating normally but I wouldn't recommend using sweetner all the time as it can have the same insulin spike as sugar x

I don't think you have to give up anything...just moderation. Have the cake/bread but take it easy on the carbs the next few days...I think if you tell yourself you can never have something again, you'll just want it worse...took me a long time to come to the conclusion I didn't want to look back on my life and regret not having something so I just try to do it in moderation now. good luck!

By *layfulKinkMan  over a year ago

Wells

Moderation seems to be the theme here although that can be easier said than done. It might be good to cut cake out for a fortnight and then slowly reintroduce it. You can develop the habit of having cake less frequently more easily that way.

I had some delicious almond based cakes in Italy it does take practice though.

All the best though!

Evie I feel your pain... With the cake passion lol..

Hairy bikers have some good low fat options in their dieters book..

"Its a cake shelf"

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Eves! If you sprinkle a slimfast shake powder in the filling of the cake it becomes diet food.

Evie,

If your after low-carb, look at some of the gluten free recipes - they often swap out flours for other ingredients such as ground nuts and such like.

Do you use something like Stevia as a sugar substitute in your cooking to control the glucose levels?

since i found out i had diabetes i stopped eating cake and sweets, i eat porrige with soya milk, hot water and candarel instead, as well as fruit, nuts and plain yoghurt. i still drink vodka though.

Take advice from the doctor, if he says you are best giving up a, b and c then see if you can. Its not ideal giving up some foods but millions of people in the 3rd world don't have cake. Plenty of healthy alternatives out there.

waitrose have some good breads and things and cakes allsorts low in carbs high fiber and low fats .. I was surprised what was on the market .

evesham

"Eves! If you sprinkle a slimfast shake powder in the filling of the cake it becomes diet food. "

I love you funky!!!

evesham

"Take advice from the doctor, if he says you are best giving up a, b and c then see if you can. Its not ideal giving up some foods but millions of people in the 3rd world don't have cake. Plenty of healthy alternatives out there. "

I don't live I'm the third world. I'm sure if I did I'd have more than cake to moan about

A healthy diet should mean you don't have to give up anything.

How often do you eat cake? If once a week or so, OK. Also have one slice instead of a whole cake.

I find that portion control and calorie counting work better than deprivation.

Good luck!

By *lackCherryCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Its important when embarking on a life changing diet to embrace the mental change, it is incredibly hard to do to give up foods you enjoy so much but the most important part of being a success at a diet is the mental side to it. If you are finding ways to cheat and eat the same old foods just under a different name you will never conquer things in the long run and you will not change your mindset, which is whats gotten you into the problem in the first place.

I do not wish to condescend but having been there myself just try to share a success, food plays such an important part in our lives changing our mindset about it from "fun and to fill an emotional hole" to "fuel for the body" is a very hard but very worthy step to take.

» Add a new message to this topic