FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Grave stones

Grave stones

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I know your supposed to leave it 9-12 months before you put a grave stone up, but do they inform you when its ready or do you contact them.

Also im assuming this is to let the ground settle. Where my dad is they have started putting the stones on the path and not in the ground so would we be able to do it sooner, and yes ive looked on google but i think im typing in the wrong phrasing

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

contact the graveyard or cemetary directly they should be able to tell you i had to ask mine when i had to place one for my baby girl no one told me when the time was up i jsut had to confirm with them when i was going to arrnage for it to be done

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I know your supposed to leave it 9-12 months before you put a grave stone up, but do they inform you when its ready or do you contact them.

Also im assuming this is to let the ground settle. Where my dad is they have started putting the stones on the path and not in the ground so would we be able to do it sooner, and yes ive looked on google but i think im typing in the wrong phrasing"

When we had to put the headstone on my dad's grave think we had to wait that long at least. Like the post above said, ask the cemetary or even the people providing the headstone may know. So sorry you lost your dad, I expect people have said this but time does heal, the loss doesnt go away but lurks around all the time unfortunately. xx

Funeral director should tell you, best to contact the ones that did your dads funeral. With mom it was 18 months before a stone was put up but that was more our fault as we could decide on a stone

"contact the graveyard or cemetary directly they should be able to tell you i had to ask mine when i had to place one for my baby girl no one told me when the time was up i jsut had to confirm with them when i was going to arrnage for it to be done"

It was hard for me and my mum to lose my dad, but to lose a baby is the hardest thing ever I can only imagine how you are feeling. Im so sorry. xx

Just googled it and its usually 12 months, a stone is placed usually at the 1year anniversary

Ignore that 12 months is for a Jewish burial.

It says usually 6 months to 12 months depending on soil and your council as they are in charge of them usually

If the are what look like small pathways running along the top of the graves then headstones can usually be put in straight away as the pathways are there for that very reason and it is easy for anchorage of the headstone. Check with the council first who own the cemetery.

It is usual to leave 12 months from burial prior to headstone placement to allow the ground to settle.

You can of course order the headstone prior to the 12 months so that it is ready to go into place also so that you can decide on inscription etc and permission can be granted for the stone to be put in place.

Ask the funeral director who did the funeral for your Dad if they would reccomend a stone mason as they usually know the best ones in the area.

(I worked in funerals for 7 years)

So sorry for your loss xxx

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

"contact the graveyard or cemetary directly they should be able to tell you i had to ask mine when i had to place one for my baby girl no one told me when the time was up i jsut had to confirm with them when i was going to arrnage for it to be done

It was hard for me and my mum to lose my dad, but to lose a baby is the hardest thing ever I can only imagine how you are feeling. Im so sorry. xx"

Thank you I'm getting there it was a while ago and it destroyed me at the time but I'm slowly putting the pieces back together. Loosing a parent is just as hard but you don't expect to outlive your children.

» Add a new message to this topic