FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bipolar disorder

Bipolar disorder

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

We touched on in the last week sucide on the forums and had some interesting insight. As a suffer of bipolar and have manic days and then quiet days of wanting to do nothing, zero sex drive ( not sure if its the meds)

I was ashamed for years to say I he this but now I feel the stigma as lifted.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Why should a medical condition cause a stigma? I ruptured my achilles tendon...........these things are part of the human condition?

"Why should a medical condition cause a stigma? I ruptured my achilles tendon...........these things are part of the human condition?"

I know sounds bizarre but mental illness sadly does

what are your meds?,i am on the road out of depression and take cirtalopram,i have such a low sex drive its sole destroying...how do you manage on here?

By *ove bi guysWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

Well done on being so open n honest. The stigma shouldn't exist but unfortunately its there for many.

Embrace the good days hun and hopefully in time the bad days will lessen xx

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

I'm currently taking fluoxetine for depression 60mg but I'm fighting lots of ups and downs and the smallest thing can tip me over the edge. I don't find it easy to talk about face to face with people as I feel im being given judged.

Today I had plans for the weekend with Sir but the snow put paid to that since I ended up in tears feeling extremely low and angry for no reason this is usual for me to drop like this but it's exhausting. My doctors just keep plying me with pills but they seem to be a waste

Take venlafaxine and carbmezipine and this conmbination works for me. Taken years to get the right ones but this works well for me

"Why should a medical condition cause a stigma? I ruptured my achilles tendon...........these things are part of the human condition?

I know sounds bizarre but mental illness sadly does "

Is diabetes stigmatised? For the most part depressive illness is a reaction to life which triggers a chemical imbalance in the bodys incredible chemistry. It is life............tell those who have a problem...they have a problem!

By *ittlebitWoman  over a year ago

Plymouth

I have been bi polar for as long as I can remember, the meds I have taken over the years took forever to get right but now everything is under control you get to know your triggers and avoid them and you learn over time ways to deal with it and it's not so scary. I kinda like that part of my personality now but I used to be terrified of people finding out, that's not an issue now!

"what are your meds?,i am on the road out of depression and take cirtalopram,i have such a low sex drive its sole destroying...how do you manage on here?"

I play when I feel like it which is little and not very often when I was 1st diagnosed in a manic state I was sex med

"I'm currently taking fluoxetine for depression 60mg but I'm fighting lots of ups and downs and the smallest thing can tip me over the edge. I don't find it easy to talk about face to face with people as I feel im being given judged.

Today I had plans for the weekend with Sir but the snow put paid to that since I ended up in tears feeling extremely low and angry for no reason this is usual for me to drop like this but it's exhausting. My doctors just keep plying me with pills but they seem to be a waste "

The weather is the problem? Its beyond your control. Fight the battles you can win. You are a strong intelligent woman always remember that!

My mum has suffered with it for 30 years. On her bad days she can be a nightmare but she seems to have a handle on it. It has to be said tho that on her good days she's highly entertaining. I don't mean that to sound crass but she is who she is and we love her no more or no less for it she's just mum

"I'm currently taking fluoxetine for depression 60mg but I'm fighting lots of ups and downs and the smallest thing can tip me over the edge. I don't find it easy to talk about face to face with people as I feel im being given judged.

Today I had plans for the weekend with Sir but the snow put paid to that since I ended up in tears feeling extremely low and angry for no reason this is usual for me to drop like this but it's exhausting. My doctors just keep plying me with pills but they seem to be a waste The weather is the problem? Its beyond your control. Fight the battles you can win. You are a strong intelligent woman always remember that!"

The weather really does get you down

I need sunshine

"My mum has suffered with it for 30 years. On her bad days she can be a nightmare but she seems to have a handle on it. It has to be said tho that on her good days she's highly entertaining. I don't mean that to sound crass but she is who she is and we love her no more or no less for it she's just mum"

She's lucky to have a son like you

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I did put along post on the suicide thread, didnt mention my highs though, they can be just a flipping dangerous if not more so, i climed a building and decided to roof hop once as i thought it was a good idea.

I came clean on here a couple of years ago and have to say eveyone has been fantasic. The stigma is getting less and less

By *umpleteazerWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I am bipolar schizophrenic. I have rapid cycling bipolar so can go up and down many times a day. I find even though I am fairly stabilised on meds I have a very high sex drive

Highs are spending masses of money on crap thn realising the debt your in, I also thought I could fly if I jumped from a window (luckily I didn't) you feel invincible

"I am bipolar schizophrenic. I have rapid cycling bipolar so can go up and down many times a day. I find even though I am fairly stabilised on meds I have a very high sex drive"

I have rapid cycling bipolar type 1. My mood can so much just in one day

By *umpleteazerWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I have thousands of pounds on credit cards that no one knows about.

After I went swimming in the local estuary and nearly died they put me in the hospital for a while....I am not a good swimmer anyway so God knows why I did it.....thought I was death-proof I think

True to form the ladies have the balls to talk about the condition: note I did not say illness. With support and the right medication these conditions can be (sucessfully) managed.

Be strong know your body (and mind) and above all talk.

I have suffered from depression in the past, mainly due to stress and a mother who was bipolar. I am lucky that i have now got it under control, but still have the stigma of being a sufferer.

I try to keep positive about it, and being here has helped as well as hindered my condition.

Best thing i can say is once you know about it then control is possible, but i did not know for a long time, and it totally messed my life up.

If you have any doubts go see your GP, and at least try and face the problem, rather than run from it.

Can I ask a question to those who suffer bipolar, and can I just stress that this question is not meant to be offensive in any way.

In a manic cycle, some patients experience hypersexuality. Do you feel that some bipolar sufferers could be swinging in order to fulfil a need which is a symptom of bipolar. Could there be a danger to bipolar sufferers of maybe taking risks because they are fuelled by their mood change.

Or, like those of us who aren't bipolar and are swinging, is it just a lifestyle choice, a hobby, a fun night out, which you would indulge in regardless of your illness.

I hope I've posed this question sensitively

"Can I ask a question to those who suffer bipolar, and can I just stress that this question is not meant to be offensive in any way.

In a manic cycle, some patients experience hypersexuality. Do you feel that some bipolar sufferers could be swinging in order to fulfil a need which is a symptom of bipolar. Could there be a danger to bipolar sufferers of maybe taking risks because they are fuelled by their mood change.

Or, like those of us who aren't bipolar and are swinging, is it just a lifestyle choice, a hobby, a fun night out, which you would indulge in regardless of your illness.

"

Great question and yes and no I guess, earlier on yes swinging was something I did in a manic episode as I needed that sexual hit and yes some sufferers are prone to one night stands I was guilty of that and having sex for the sake of it. As I've got better I don't do it and I have sex for me I can see the manic signs and I know to stay off here so there are periods when I do even come on fab just in case but great question

"Can I ask a question to those who suffer bipolar, and can I just stress that this question is not meant to be offensive in any way.

Great question and yes and no I guess, earlier on yes swinging was something I did in a manic episode as I needed that sexual hit and yes some sufferers are prone to one night stands I was guilty of that and having sex for the sake of it. As I've got better I don't do it and I have sex for me I can see the manic signs and I know to stay off here so there are periods when I do even come on fab just in case but great question "

I meant come off fab opps

"

i swing for the same reasons as everyone else. before my hypersexuality was under control i would shag anything that moved and put myself in terrible danger and i would never have called it swinging more like a drug that i needed my fixes

I need the sex then afterwards I felt bloody awful but was soon out looking for my next one. I shudder now at the thought and the danger I must have imposed in myself and no doubt others

Thank you both for answering a personal question. I do find bipolar an interesting subject but I don't know much about this other than a little text book training I've had in mental health.

i swing for the same reasons as everyone else. before my hypersexuality was under control i would shag anything that moved and put myself in terrible danger and i would never have called it swinging more like a drug that i needed my fixes"

Nail on the head

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

Today I had plans for the weekend with Sir but the snow put paid to that since I ended up in tears feeling extremely low and angry for no reason this is usual for me to drop like this but it's exhausting. My doctors just keep plying me with pills but they seem to be a waste The weather is the problem? Its beyond your control. Fight the battles you can win. You are a strong intelligent woman always remember that!"

Its not the weather it was just the straw that broke the camels back this weekend. I can be fine and quite perky for a few days then something trivial will tip me over the edge and bring everythign crashing around me its out of control sometimes but back to the docs tomorrow for a check up

"

This is a very interesting question and I would say would be most likely to occur in slower cycling bipolar, my bipolar is rapid cycling so I don't always have enough manic times to make unfit decisions. However with a supportive husband that helps me understand when I'm making decisions that can have a bad impact on me later that perhaps this isn't my clear mindset making them. This isn't just a problem with sex though as a bipolar sufferer you can never be truly sure your ideas and thoughts are rational.

This is a very interesting question and I would say would be most likely to occur in slower cycling bipolar, my bipolar is rapid cycling so I don't always have enough manic times to make unfit decisions. However with a supportive husband that helps me understand when I'm making decisions that can have a bad impact on me later that perhaps this isn't my clear mindset making them. This isn't just a problem with sex though as a bipolar sufferer you can never be truly sure your ideas and thoughts are rational."

Im a mixed mood rapid cycler but ive done some terribly dangerous things. Its only the last few ye

This is a very interesting question and I would say would be most likely to occur in slower cycling bipolar, my bipolar is rapid cycling so I don't always have enough manic times to make unfit decisions. However with a supportive husband that helps me understand when I'm making decisions that can have a bad impact on me later that perhaps this isn't my clear mindset making them. This isn't just a problem with sex though as a bipolar sufferer you can never be truly sure your ideas and thoughts are rational."

Im a mixed mood rapid cycler but ive done some terribly dangerous things. Its only the last few years with the medication that im more in control. I had terrible hypersexuality, also i would just take of and do stuff without telling people. People dont realize being high is equally as bad as being low.

Sometimes my mood can change from hour to hour or sometimes they same mood for weeks. My psyciatrist describes them as stupendous lol

This is a very interesting question and I would say would be most likely to occur in slower cycling bipolar, my bipolar is rapid cycling so I don't always have enough manic times to make unfit decisions. However with a supportive husband that helps me understand when I'm making decisions that can have a bad impact on me later that perhaps this isn't my clear mindset making them. This isn't just a problem with sex though as a bipolar sufferer you can never be truly sure your ideas and thoughts are rational.

Im a mixed mood rapid cycler but ive done some terribly dangerous things. Its only the last few years with the medication that im more in control. I had terrible hypersexuality, also i would just take of and do stuff without telling people. People dont realize being high is equally as bad as being low.

Sometimes my mood can change from hour to hour or sometimes they same mood for weeks. My psyciatrist describes them as stupendous lol"

Absolutely high and mixed state are the worst, it impairs judgment greatly. I have an extremely high sex drive but try and make safe decisions with others help and don't have any regrets or guilt, I guess that makes me lucky

Sometimes my mood can change from hour to hour or sometimes they same mood for weeks. My psyciatrist describes them as stupendous lol Absolutely high and mixed state are the worst, it impairs judgment greatly. I have an extremely high sex drive but try and make safe decisions with others help and don't have any regrets or guilt, I guess that makes me lucky "

Im much better now and when i start to get "lary" Jay tells me, first signs are i start talking extremely loudly and have about 5 conversations going with one person at a time lol, its hard to control, but as i said newer and better medication helps greatly

Im a mixed mood rapid cycler but ive done some terribly dangerous things. Its only the last few ye"

Same here, I then hide my profile and come off here until I'm feeling it more like me you just know the signs

Sertraline and zopiclone to help me sleep for me. All for situational depression,,,,,, hate relying on meds to get me through the day , tried the woes thing to come off the myself baaaaddddd idea.... The stigma on mental illness has been lifted the last few yrs but wen so for me to say to myself I have a mental illness , was a scary thought.... Good luck to all who have a mental illness at least they got rid of the nut houses and we can live like normal people in society now......lol

"Sertraline and zopiclone to help me sleep for me. All for situational depression,,,,,, hate relying on meds to get me through the day , tried the woes thing to come off the myself baaaaddddd idea.... The stigma on mental illness has been lifted the last few yrs but wen so for me to say to myself I have a mental illness , was a scary thought.... Good luck to all who have a mental illness at least they got rid of the nut houses and we can live like normal people in society now......lol"
The term mental illnessis not correct for the condition under discussion. The term itself gives rise to mismeaning and antiquated perceptions of those who have such conditions. These conditions are part of the human emotional state and it would follow that we should term them as such. One would not describe someone with diabetes as having "physical illness" It grates me when a catch all description and a bad one in this case, is used to label. Emotional condition..........there I feel better now!

I don't understand depression but it must be a bad thing to have going by what ive read on here i one of these people that take life as it comes as i say shit happens and you need to deal with it or it will deal with you in a bad way so live life to the full and be happy all the best hope you all find the answer xx

"Sertraline and zopiclone to help me sleep for me. All for situational depression,,,,,, hate relying on meds to get me through the day , tried the woes thing to come off the myself baaaaddddd idea.... The stigma on mental illness has been lifted the last few yrs but wen so for me to say to myself I have a mental illness , was a scary thought.... Good luck to all who have a mental illness at least they got rid of the nut houses and we can live like normal people in society now......lolThe term mental illnessis not correct for the condition under discussion. The term itself gives rise to mismeaning and antiquated perceptions of those who have such conditions. These conditions are part of the human emotional state and it would follow that we should term them as such. One would not describe someone with diabetes as having "physical illness" It grates me when a catch all description and a bad one in this case, is used to label. Emotional condition..........there I feel better now!"

What a load of tripe, in all my years of being ill, ive never once had a nurse, doctor, psyciatrist or anyone else describe it as an emotional condition. Mental illness is to describe illnesses affected by the brain. Thats why different mental illnesses have different names.

» Add a new message to this topic