FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New and Unused..

New and Unused..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *innamon! OP   Woman  over a year ago

no matter

This is random but I felt I would share..

I went to a friends funeral yesterday it was a Woodland buriel not something I had heard of before. You plant a tree over the grave and it will end up a little copse.

The coffin was really pretty black and white art deco pattern cardboard.

This prompted me to go on line and investigate this type of buriel/make of coffin.

I ended up on ebay looking at wicker coffins for sale.

One stated it was New and Unused rather made me giggle so I had to send a message saying how glad I was it was unused.

I think I will take up basket making and weave my own .

Sorry to make light of a serious subject but it just prompted some serious as well as light thinking.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have it written into my will that my coffin will have a set of those magnetic fingers (the sort you used to see on the backs of cars) stuck to the side!

I want mine to be a tardis

By *ady4ladyWoman  over a year ago

liverpool

to be honest I think its the way forward. Never did understand teh need for rich wooden coffins with brass handles etc. But each to their own.

On the subject of the funeral, I thought you could only bury someone on concecrated ground, not just anywhere??? or am i getting your story wrong? x

no matter

LOL that sounds fun. I must do a will.

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

You can 'rent' coffins now. You get put in a cardboard liner inside the fancy rented coffin and then taken out just before burial or cremation.

In some states in the USA its illegal to burn coffins.

I want the wife to dance on my grave.

Not sure how far out you have to go for burial at Sea though.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"to be honest I think its the way forward. Never did understand teh need for rich wooden coffins with brass handles etc. But each to their own.

On the subject of the funeral, I thought you could only bury someone on concecrated ground, not just anywhere??? or am i getting your story wrong? x"

No, you can bury in many places. If you own land you can even bury there as long as the checks are done.

The willow and bamboo baskets are quite expensive but I actually like the cardboard ones you decorate yourself. Although I am happy to be put in a hessian sack and shoved into the flames.

liverpool

"to be honest I think its the way forward. Never did understand teh need for rich wooden coffins with brass handles etc. But each to their own.

On the subject of the funeral, I thought you could only bury someone on concecrated ground, not just anywhere??? or am i getting your story wrong? x

No, you can bury in many places. If you own land you can even bury there as long as the checks are done.

The willow and bamboo baskets are quite expensive but I actually like the cardboard ones you decorate yourself. Although I am happy to be put in a hessian sack and shoved into the flames."

Well I didnt realise that. Thanks. As for the sack, I could do that, but would need it to be a nice pink one with sparkly rope ties . Oh and I need to have my full make up on and hair done too.

Strange but I want to go out of this world looking the best I can

The willow and bamboo baskets are quite expensive but I actually like the cardboard ones you decorate yourself. Although I am happy to be put in a hessian sack and shoved into the flames.

Well I didnt realise that. Thanks. As for the sack, I could do that, but would need it to be a nice pink one with sparkly rope ties . Oh and I need to have my full make up on and hair done too.

Strange but I want to go out of this world looking the best I can "

Just make a funeral plan and it will all happen. Look at the Natural Death Centre for stuff on DIY funerals. Lots of recommended places on there.

on a serious note and being one of elders on here there soon will be no room for burying anyone so wicker coffins that disintegrate quickly and we plant a tree is the way forward i think. xxxx but smiled at the not used ad lol

liverpool

Strange but I want to go out of this world looking the best I can

Just make a funeral plan and it will all happen. Look at the Natural Death Centre for stuff on DIY funerals. Lots of recommended places on there."

thanks, also the music is important to me, so making a plan makes sense i guess x

no matter

Just google woodland buriel..Its a designated field on a farm. (rotherfield grey )

"I want mine to be a tardis"

"In some states in the USA its illegal to burn coffins.

I want the wife to dance on my grave.

Not sure how far out you have to go for burial at Sea though."

Can your wife walk on water though otherwise its a pointless idea

There are some natural burial sites in Wales. My Grandfather was buried in one. Essentially it is a huge plot of land and people are buried in wicker coffins. It looks just like a meadow and very pretty. No headstones or memorials allowed.

no matter

This place Is a meadow -large it has a slot board rather like connect 4 you have slate type stone with name and date about 6 x 3 and they all slot on top of each other. I spose in time the trees just grow be nice to plant primrose and blue bell in the area too.

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

How times have changed, it used to be the bigger the headstone or burial plot the better off the person and now it's cardboard to save the planet. Must mention to my parents about wicker coffins and gauge opinion. Sounds a better place to Go than a dusty old church.

This place is lovely. As Cinnamon says, it is a meadow and actually has sheep roaming :-/

By *nnebellWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

I to have been looking at these things recently. I really dont want my children having to worry and then argue and fall out over whats the best way for me to rest after leaving this earth. I have it all written down, they know where to fling my ashes, I am going back to the land that I was born from.....Yorkshire, off the top of a place called Sutton Bank, down into the Vale of York just south of Thirsk. All my music and readings are chosen and where the service will be. I have 5 children and ive seen families fall out over a pot of ruddy ashes, not my lot.

I want to be blown out of a circus canon to the Superman theme music

By *e nicerWoman  over a year ago

Costa del Medway

Cremation for me. Tidier. Scattered to the wind someplace beautiful.

"Cremation for me. Tidier. Scattered to the wind someplace beautiful."

Think about your someplace beautiful. I know I kept ashes for 7 years as I couldn't decide where they should be scattered. I have seen families bickering about the best place for ashes to be scattered.

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

The only downside I can think of with woodland / meadow burials is that, because of the need for land in the future, your loved ones (or you) may end up underneath a supermarket car-park.

I like the idea of being cremated and my ashes being sprinkled somewhere meaningful to me. Like on the lookout area on a hill (not far from where I live) which overlooks Portsmouth, the Solent and Isle of Wight. And maybe a bench placed there with a plaque on it so others can share the beautiful view with me.

Emm x

"The only downside I can think of with woodland / meadow burials is that, because of the need for land in the future, your loved ones (or you) may end up underneath a supermarket car-park.

I like the idea of being cremated and my ashes being sprinkled somewhere meaningful to me. Like on the lookout area on a hill (not far from where I live) which overlooks Portsmouth, the Solent and Isle of Wight. And maybe a bench placed there with a plaque on it so others can share the beautiful view with me.

Emm x"

Houses, car parks, supermarkets are all sitting on previous burial grounds. That's part of the circle.

By *e nicerWoman  over a year ago

Costa del Medway

I believe you can seek permission for scattering in national trust woodland or nature reserves.

But yes, good idea to think about this and let it be known before you go out in that blaze of fire.

"You plant a tree over the grave and it will end up a little copse."

A copse on a corpse - great idea!!

Although I've never liked the idea of becoming worm food. Torn between being burnt and the ashes put into one of those little glass 'sand donkeys' you see in tacky tourist shops abroad - or being stuffed and propped in the corner of my old local to act as a coat/hat/umbrella stand!

"You plant a tree over the grave and it will end up a little copse.

A copse on a corpse - great idea!!

Although I've never liked the idea of becoming worm food. Torn between being burnt and the ashes put into one of those little glass 'sand donkeys' you see in tacky tourist shops abroad - or being stuffed and propped in the corner of my old local to act as a coat/hat/umbrella stand! "

You can also be turned into a diamond now. Although I quite like the sand donkey idea - I hadn't thought of that.

My dad died in 1999 and he had a woodland burial. He was buried in a cardboard coffin and all the grandchildren had done pictures and messages which we stuck on the coffin before we lowered him into the grave. We all drank a toast to him at the graveside and a couple of family members read poems. It was a lovely, personal and non religious burial which is exactly what he wanted.

» Add a new message to this topic