FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Police Shame

Police Shame

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 38 weeks ago

Colchester

Reports that half of all police forces rate as either requiring improvement or inadequate. Is it time to change the rating system so they dont sound so bad ,?

What's going on here guys. It's all over the news

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 38 weeks ago

It’s time to change the policing system so they’re not as bad

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 38 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Is it time to bring in the army Tom.

By *eordieJeansCouple 38 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

It’s all over the boys in blues

"Reports that half of all police forces rate as either requiring improvement or inadequate. Is it time to change the rating system so they dont sound so bad ,?

What's going on here guys. It's all over the news"

What would the new rating system be though?

By *eordieJeansCouple 38 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Reports that half of all police forces rate as either requiring improvement or inadequate. Is it time to change the rating system so they dont sound so bad ,?

What would the new rating system be though?"

Give criminals an app like Uber and ask them to rate their arresting officer

By *lowupdollTV/TS 38 weeks ago

S. Herts

Policeyness

By *orders-cplCouple 38 weeks ago

middx cpl

our police forces need to be looked at and how they are run there is far to much bad feeling from the public i was driving home with a tail light out it just happen that night and i had warning light on to let me know i was then pulled over and grilled over it called a lier insulted and pushed lucky i had it all on dash cam and the officers were pulled over the coles i will never trust our police again

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 38 weeks ago

in Lancashire

A new rating system?

Sounds like a cop out..

By *alleyDaveMan 38 weeks ago

Sheffield

The plod are more interested in arresting people who say hurty words on social media ,than a really doing sone work and arresting real criminals .

By *entlemanrogueMan 38 weeks ago

Motherwell

"our police forces need to be looked at and how they are run there is far to much bad feeling from the public i was driving home with a tail light out it just happen that night and i had warning light on to let me know i was then pulled over and grilled over it called a lier insulted and pushed lucky i had it all on dash cam and the officers were pulled over the coles i will never trust our police again "

I agree, i think also people are sick of police corruption, them going after low level crime, dishing out fines, being bullies and not actually knowing the law in many cases.

its a shame because being a police constable is a thankless task most of the time, but something people genuinely need in times of crisis

By *icecouple561Couple 38 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Good policing never makes the news. Is that because it doesn't happen or because people don't report it?

We need the police. They do need to improve but it's no good throwing the baby out with the bathwater

By *ndycoinsMan 38 weeks ago

Buxton

"The plod are more interested in arresting people who say hurty words on social media ,than a really doing sone work and arresting real criminals ."

I'd write a book about our force if I thought anyone would believe it.Laziness,incompetence, corruption,not actually knowing the law(offences) they are trying to enforce.I'm not some bitter criminal that keeps getting caught,I'm someone that has to "work" with the Police from time to time.

On attending calls to less populated areas at night "I just put my blue lights on so if anyone is around they will run away'

A Sergeant after driving 1/4 miles along a single track road "how do I get back?"

And on and on it goes...

By *ocktoplaywithMan 38 weeks ago

Derby

My daughter in law is a DC. I can’t believe the hours she has to work. Her unit only has 2 shifts, sometimes only 2 of them on at a time. Sometimes she has to work 4/5 hours longer than her shift because there’s no one to pass on to. Seriously understaffed. I think there needs to be a massive recruitment and if there were more officers, the results would improve dramatically.

By *ndycoinsMan 38 weeks ago

Buxton

Improve the quality (intelligence and attitude) of new recruits.

By *host63Man 38 weeks ago

Bedfont Feltham

Anyone who deals with the police can tell you how utterly awful they are.

I have yo deal with them for my job. The total indifference and unwillingness to fo their job is frightening

By *ellhungvweMan 38 weeks ago

Cheltenham

I genuinely think I live in different universe to most fabbers - on pretty much every thread I think “Really?” and this one is no different.

My interactions with the police have almost always been positive. When I have needed them I have found them helpful and cooperative.

I think the problem with the police is that they have a really shit job to do - they almost only ever see the worst in society. The turnover is horrendous because the pay is crap and most coppers can (and will) find something easier/better paid/less stressful after a couple of years.

By *omsubdevonCouple 38 weeks ago

Plymouth

The Tories removed 20k police officers during the austerity cuts. Many of these were very experienced coppers, and in doing so not only reduced numbers on the ground but a vast amount of experience and knowledge was lost overnight. And don't forget the local police stations lost.

By *red333Man 38 weeks ago

Dorchester

i give them 2 out of 10 if they stopped concentrating on the money making trivial criime and got on with the serious job of catching criminals, theives and murderers then their popularity would go up

By *ockboy77Man 38 weeks ago

Angus, Ayrshire, Glasgow and Aberdeen area

Sorry but in my experiences

ACAB…

Pay peanuts, get monkey

Anyone looked at the pay a police offer gets?

Same with any job. Wanna pay the guy down the pub to do your driveway on the cheap? You’ll get a shoddy job

By *ealMissShadyWoman 38 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"Pay peanuts, get monkey

Same with any job. Wanna pay the guy down the pub to do your driveway on the cheap? You’ll get a shoddy job "

This. A newly qualified officer earns less than I do. It's disgusting

By *929Man 38 weeks ago

newcastle

Usually a few absolute fucking arsehole coppers do a lot to inspire hatred for them

I was mostly indifferent to them despite several instances in the past of them being cunts till earlier this year the tracking must have been off on my van and it had cut the inside of the tire off without me noticing my son got stopped in it while we were working 20 miles away from home rather than just make us get it fixed (offered to take wheel off and get a new tyre there and then) he decided to uplift the van and put prohibition order on the van meaning it can’t be drove till it had a fresh mot (it still had 5 months mot left) took 2 days and a few 300 quid just to get the van back in my possession (had to be recovered from compound) then no place could not it for several weeks and had to get back to work so had to buy another van straight away. With lost time ect that week cost me about 6 grand just so some jumped up little wanker copper could assert his authority

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 38 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"Pay peanuts, get monkey

"

I just looked it up.

On commencement of job 30k

On completion of initial training 35k

Hardly peanuts, add in that there are further opportunities for going up the ranks and pay rises and a very very good pension scheme.

"Pay peanuts, get monkey

I just looked it up.

Hardly peanuts, add in that there are further opportunities for going up the ranks and pay rises and a very very good pension scheme.

"

That’s peanuts for the responsibility they get

2 years on site and you’ll be on that.

Day 1 on the hoddy carrying bricks you’ll get that

They literally uphold the law in our country, dealing with all the people that put us in danger, and they get paid shit

By *icolerobbieCouple 38 weeks ago

walsall

It’s amazing how many people don’t comply with the law, but it’s always the fault of the police.

Yes, there are some bad police officers, but they are outweighed by the good ones.

By *hawn ScottMan 38 weeks ago

london Brixton

Not a police officer but work as a contractor for them in cyber security. There is a lack of staff as its not something young people want to do. There is so much paperwork to do most of their time is spent doing that.

I am by no means a daily mail reader but a lot of bad apples have been exposed recently so the public have lost faith. There were some really dirty police that slipped through the net. This was mostly as it takes 18 months to get DV cleared they were giving them jobs "clearance pending"

A knee jerk reaction to that tougher vetting was introduced and new recruits were failing as they made a politically incorrect statement on twitter 10 years ago.

What bothered me recently is that I got called by a recruitment scammer on a weekend and even though I wasn't working felt I had to do something.

I played the idiot, fed them the right info long enough for me to pin point their location and the address of where their server was located. Called the police with the information and they said they didn't deal with that and to through action fraud.

I tried to.explain that if they sent round officers to the address then they could arrest them. By the time action fraud get around to it their location would be burned and I can only play them for so long before they twig.

Just got "I understand sir but that's not our department"

london Brixton

"It’s amazing how many people don’t comply with the law, but it’s always the fault of the police.

Yes, there are some bad police officers, but they are outweighed by the good ones."

In London Sadiq Khan gets blamed for every crime. Not sure what the public expect. That he should dress up as batman and fight crime himself at night

By *melia DominaTV/TS 38 weeks ago

EDINBURGH (She/Her)

"It’s time to change the policing system so they’re not as bad "

Pretty much, this, with bells on!!

By *m3232Man 38 weeks ago

maidenhead

What you need to remember is a good % of their work is dealing with dickheads so you can understand why.

My advice is don’t be a dickhead.

By *iving Bi a TryMan 38 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Like a lot of public services, Policing has been vastly underfunded. No wonder it's suffering.

Local police get bogged down dealing with petty stuff on the internet because that is exactly what the public keeps asking them to do.

Do you think coppers join hoping they can be the facebook police or in the hope that they get the excitement of fast cars, a chase and lock up a burglar?

(Clue, it's the latter).

Do you remember all the effort that went into funding PCSOs, who could deal with all the little old lady stuff and let the Police get on with criminals? That got binned a long time ago.

They do a thankless task in most instances and everyone complains when they get caught doing something, the usual line being that there are naughtier people out there who they should be concentrating on.

Even burglars complain that the police shouldn't be looking for them when there are still "nonces" at large.

Go to a public meeting and it's usually complaints about parking, kids playing football in the park and loud noise when the pub kicks out.

Would you do their job?

Gbat

By *ickdasterdly51Man 38 weeks ago

Lingfield

I have two nephews in the police. I'm very proud of them but wouldn't do their job for any money. It's very easy for those of us from nice families who live in good neighborhoods to criticise but there's a whole sub culture out there that most of us see very little of.

By *atureGuy62Man 38 weeks ago

DE7

It's time to fund them properly

By *atureGuy62Man 38 weeks ago

DE7

It's time to fund them properly"

also time to improbe conviction rates in the courts instead of suspended sentences for violent crimes

By *hagTonightMan 38 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

[Removed by poster at 29/12/23 11:42:07]

By *hagTonightMan 38 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

They could change it so that there are less paper work and red tape, so that they can do their work more effectively

Police performance is measured by numbers and ticks in boxes. It should be measured by how safe it is to walk the streets, but that has been lost long ago.

By *ony 2016Man 38 weeks ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Maybe slashing the workforce by 20.000 , then replacing the 20.000 experienced officers with 20.000 rookies wasn't the greatest idea

By *ornucopiaMan 38 weeks ago

Bexley

"The plod are more interested in arresting people who say hurty words on social media ,than a really doing sone work and arresting real criminals ."

You won't get any help from them nowadays unless you've got the 'My Police' app on your phone!

By *ellhungvweMan 38 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"I have two nephews in the police. I'm very proud of them but wouldn't do their job for any money. It's very easy for those of us from nice families who live in good neighborhoods to criticise but there's a whole sub culture out there that most of us see very little of. "

I know a sargeant who says that over 60% of his teams work this Christmas was dealing with domestic violence. When it isn’t Christmas it is d*unken violence. He says it is always the same people.

By *magikal74Man 38 weeks ago

Birmingham

Policing is at least as important as the medical profession and teaching..both of which have a right to strike

..I think a lot of the problems stem from the fact that the police give up that right. I personally don't think they should of or even had the right to, for their own sake..but mostly for the general publics sake..

To some I imagine that might sound odd and counter intuitive to suggest it. But the right to remove your labour is quite a fundamental power to an employee..

When the police gave that right up, they left themselves open to be mistreated by politicians..

"I have two nephews in the police. I'm very proud of them but wouldn't do their job for any money. It's very easy for those of us from nice families who live in good neighborhoods to criticise but there's a whole sub culture out there that most of us see very little of.

I know a sargeant who says that over 60% of his teams work this Christmas was dealing with domestic violence. When it isn’t Christmas it is d*unken violence. He says it is always the same people."

"..I think a lot of the problems stem from the fact that the police give up that right. I personally don't think they should of or even had the right to, for their own sake..but mostly for the general publics sake..

When the police gave that right up, they left themselves open to be mistreated by politicians..

"

Yeah that was about 1906? I doubt any of those guys are still in service.

Only Parliament can change the law, and as you suggest, they hold all the power now.

Gbat

The Police gave up the right to strike over a hundred years ago, as the service was deemed too important to maintaining order in society. It followed the demands of the time being met by government, and has relied on that premise ever since. Government has forgotten that....

Police can easily withdraw their service temporarily if they wish. 'Blue flu' is a thing but most don't think that way.

Right now they have a massive identity crisis, created by inappropriate demand, poor training and bureaucracy.

By *magikal74Man 38 weeks ago

Birmingham

Yes it was a century ago, you're right.. different time different attitude..and probably different sense of duty..

But it doesn't change the fact that it's handicapped their position in modern times...a century ago they couldn't of predicted that it would, but it has

By *amierebelMan 38 weeks ago

Nae danger

"It’s amazing how many people don’t comply with the law, but it’s always the fault of the police.

Yes, there are some bad police officers, but they are outweighed by the good ones."

local force this way most of the officers are actually sound as however in the city they're absolute bell ends nearly every one of them you give respect you get respect I understand being city they get rammed but you can't expect be a arresting officer and have someone comply your orders if you're going to be a cock

By *addad99Man 38 weeks ago

Rotherham

All I say is I have no time for the police as they don't have time for me

Most of them don’t know you from Adam.

Gbat

By *entleman_of_pleasureMan 38 weeks ago

Manchester

ACAB?

By *alandNitaCouple 38 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

I suspect that the starting point is probably a government that values the police and funds them properly... ideally they will consider the country outside of London too.

Cal

By *tephanjMan 38 weeks ago

Kettering

Personally I do not have a problem with the police. They have been there whenever i have needed them. Obviously there are some not very good police I must just have been lucky

Scunthorpe

People often forget that The Police are all People. The include a huge variety of folk from different walks of life. Obviously there are people who are less than ideal for the job, but this is true of everything everywhere. The idea that "The Police" is somehow an entity that makes all of its employees identical.

Cal

"All I say is I have no time for the police as they don't have time for me "

What kind of time would you expect from the Police? Serious question.

"People often forget that The Police are all People. The include a huge variety of folk from different walks of life. Obviously there are people who are less than ideal for the job, but this is true of everything everywhere. The idea that "The Police" is somehow an entity that makes all of its employees identical.

Cal"

Society gets the policing it deserves. Officers are drawn from society and have grown up with it's values and failings.

london Brixton

You get a lot of "we need more police walking the streets"

Its not the 70's most policing is done via modern technology

Colchester

"ACAB?"

All Coppers Are Bananas ...

Or words to that effect

Colchester

Is Sadiq Khan to blame for this mess ?

"You get a lot of "we need more police walking the streets"

Its not the 70's most policing is done via modern technology"

Technology is great, but it’s not always the answer. A physical police presence, ie on the streets, deters wide range of offending and makes communities safer.

By *lym4realCouple 38 weeks ago

plymouth

Our police force is rated very lowly and no doubt the normal excuse will be forthcoming that's it's only afew bad apples but with something like the police force you can't really afford afew bad apples ? and down here people asttitude to the police changes once they've had dealings with them ??

walsall

And in the meantime muggers and burglars are having a field day.

london Brixton

Technology is great, but it’s not always the answer. A physical police presence, ie on the streets, deters wide range of offending and makes communities safer."

Well living in Brixton I see police walking round here every day

"It’s time to change the policing system so they’re not as bad "

Not as bad as the society they police or not as bad at policing?

By *ackformore100Man 38 weeks ago

Tin town

Got to be honest. Have no clue what good the police do anymore beyond hiding behind trees with speed cameras. Maybe it's time to balance the way their activities are reported. They must be doing some good things. We just never see them or hear about them. Be good also to have better understanding of exactly what people's expectations are. Too often these kind of shit stories are just an opportunity to stick it to the man.

london Brixton

And in the meantime muggers and burglars are having a field day."

A cctv image, a dna sample, a hacked phone. With these you can have a persons idenity within minutes. Crime has existed since the dawn of time and will never be wiped out and police can't be everywhere 24/7 to prevent it.

Technology is great, but it’s not always the answer. A physical police presence, ie on the streets, deters wide range of offending and makes communities safer.

Well living in Brixton I see police walking round here every day"

Consider yourself lucky. In my small city I rarely see any walking. Might see one or two driving past on the main roads during the day. Fire brigade policing around here, and the fire is usually out before thy arrive, if they arrive at all.

By *a LunaWoman 38 weeks ago

Southern Wales

[Removed by poster at 29/12/23 18:09:58]

By *a LunaWoman 38 weeks ago

Southern Wales

"[Removed by poster at 29/12/23 18:09:58]"

The whole legal system could do with a rehaul. Court System, Laws, Police, Prisons.

It’s all pretty archaic.

london Brixton

Consider yourself lucky. In my small city I rarely see any walking. Might see one or two driving past on the main roads during the day. Fire brigade policing around here, and the fire is usually out before thy arrive, if they arrive at all."

Lucky? well it was only a few weeks ago somebody tried to mug me at 3am

walsall

And in the meantime muggers and burglars are having a field day.

A cctv image, a dna sample, a hacked phone. With these you can have a persons idenity within minutes. Crime has existed since the dawn of time and will never be wiped out and police can't be everywhere 24/7 to prevent it."

Not exactly working very well though is it.

Consider yourself lucky. In my small city I rarely see any walking. Might see one or two driving past on the main roads during the day. Fire brigade policing around here, and the fire is usually out before thy arrive, if they arrive at all.

Lucky? well it was only a few weeks ago somebody tried to mug me at 3am"

Don't they walk around at night then?

london Brixton

Lucky? well it was only a few weeks ago somebody tried to mug me at 3am

Don't they walk around at night then?"

I don't usually walk around in dodgey area's at 3am. However I was having a party and ran out of booze. There is a 24h off licence in angel town estate (not safe) so I came out with 2 bags of booze and 2 16ish kids pulled a knife and told me to hand it over

Bexley

Like I say, you need the 'My Police' app on your phone or you won't get anywhere.

Forget 999. That won't be much use when landlines are all fibre optics and you have no back up power to your router.

I suppose the thread could have started as

"Reports that half of all police forces rate as either *very good, good or adequate.

What's going on here guys. It's (NOT) all over the news"

Gbat

* I don't know the actual results but if half are then half aren't.

By *p4fun0121Man 38 weeks ago

birmingham

A P A W

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS 38 weeks ago

Kings cross

"Pay peanuts, get monkey

I just looked it up.

"

Yes - they retire at 50 & on a good gig too - also most I know go straight back in as a civilian/ non warranted cop so it's double bubble.

admittedly it's a crap job; I get paid much more for much less Shit....& Ironically I work with the police..

By *luttyLaylaWoman 38 weeks ago

North West

I think it’s time to make the ratings more fair and fluid, like the CQC are doing with healthcare.

Individual police officers and managers are fabulous, I work closely with lots of brilliant ones. It’s a shame services are being run into the ground by Govt.

By *luttyLaylaWoman 38 weeks ago

North West

And 35k isn’t a good wage for the hours and responsibility IMO.

Let alone arguing about pensions- totally pointless to the next generation looking at careers. We/ they need to feed families now

"

Yes - they retire at 50 & on a good gig too "

I don't think that's true.

Police Officers used to sign on for 30 years to get a full pension. Now they sign on for 35 years! So if you join at 25 years old, you will retire at 60, not 50.

I believe there's now a scheme where they can take a reduced pension from 55 years old (But I'm not sure, to be honest).

And it's expensive! I think it's about 11%. So for that 35k starting wage that people talked about, well they can't access £3,850 a year and that's before income tax and NI.

You'll work a fair few Christmas Days, New Year's Eves and nights on your wedding anniversary too.

Gbat

Colchester

[Removed by poster at 29/12/23 21:00:05]

Colchester

"

Yes - they retire at 50 & on a good gig too

I don't think that's true.

Police Officers used to sign on for 30 years to get a full pension. Now they sign on for 35 years! So if you join at 25 years old, you will retire at 60, not 50.

I believe there's now a scheme where they can take a reduced pension from 55 years old (But I'm not sure, to be honest).

And it's expensive! I think it's about 11%. So for that 35k starting wage that people talked about, well they can't access £3,850 a year and that's before income tax and NI.

You'll work a fair few Christmas Days, New Year's Eves and nights on your wedding anniversary too.

Gbat "

They retire at 60 and the rest of us anything between 65 and more ?

They sign a 35 year contract. Shorter than the Army I believe.

In years gone by there were lots of bosses jobs. The pyramid is a lot flatter now.

There used to be police officers on the front desk. Now it's a civvie or in fact no front desk.

Civvies do Scenes of Crime, cells, operations room, taking statements, even interviews for minor stuff. Criminal intel, crime pattern analysis, finger print recognition, and I expect more stuff too.

That means you've got cops in their late 50s who are out on patrol as there's no soft jobs left that aren't civilianised.

Working shifts is debilitating and difficult when you're in your twenties. Try doing it when you are approaching 60.

Of course they should retire before then.

Anyone can get a private pension if they can afford it. Just pay 11% of everything you earn (gross) and retire on that before you are 65.

Gbat

Colchester

Gold plated pension but this is not about pension...it's about the dire performance of half of all police forces..

Bexley

"

They retire at 60 and the rest of us anything between 65 and more ?"

I retired at 52 with an immediate pension without having to be in the police.

Financially, it’s not the job it was. My generation could potentially retire at 48 on a full pension, after 30yrs service. There were also other perks like 125% mortgages when I joined. Downside is I worked 30 yrs of shifts which will probably shorten my life. Didn’t get to do as much family/dad stuff like normal people and dealt with shit most people would run away from.

Swings and roundabouts innit?..

Scunthorpe

"Gold plated pension but this is not about pension...it's about the dire performance of half of all police forces.. "

As I suggested earlier, the measurable drop in performance is obviously linked the the continued underfunding of their service.

If you want the police to be good, you need to ensure they have enough money to do everything they need.

Properly funding the police force would allow:

* Increase in numbers, which in turn results in more crimes attended/solved

* Better quality staff, attracted by better wages and benefits

* Better facilities and equipment, allowing for the officers to their jobs more efficiently and safer

* More and better training

* More civilian support staff, allowing the warranted officers to spend more time policing

Cal

Tin town

"Gold plated pension but this is not about pension...it's about the dire performance of half of all police forces..

As I suggested earlier, the measurable drop in performance is obviously linked the the continued underfunding of their service.

If you want the police to be good, you need to ensure they have enough money to do everything they need.

* Better facilities and equipment, allowing for the officers to their jobs more efficiently and safer

* More civilian support staff, allowing the warranted officers to spend more time policing

Cal"

All from the magic money tree.

It is also not unreasonable to..

*expect those currently employed to actually be visible and seen to be policing without fear or favour

*expect the media and all the bandwagon Jumpers to report the successes along with the failures, it can't possibly be as bad as some would have us believe

*expect people to uphold their end of the deal... We can police ourselves better with better and shared values... We just choose not to

By *r.Stephen-PickleMan 38 weeks ago

Ends

Man said is it time to change the rating system

By *r.Stephen-PickleMan 38 weeks ago

Ends

‘If I say what I think I'm suspended for six months.’- Mikel Arteta.

By *ox1 red leaderMan 38 weeks ago

farnham

But if the good ones don't out the bad then all coppers are bad simple as that...

By *ox1 red leaderMan 38 weeks ago

farnham

"Police performance is measured by numbers and ticks in boxes. It should be measured by how safe it is to walk the streets, but that has been lost long ago."

How do you measure how safe it is to walk the streets without asking people to tick boxes?

I bet the police would love a simple set of measures to attain that don’t change every financial year.

Of course they’d need to be financed properly and be possible. It’s no good saying every crime must be solved as everyone will know from personal experience, there’s always something you can get away with.

Gbat

By *ocialWatchingMan 38 weeks ago

Alnwick / Newcastle

"Is it time to bring in the army Tom. "

Army's just as bad, morale all time low, recruitment all time low, no wonder everyone in Armed forces get treated horribly lol (currently serving)

By *ocialWatchingMan 38 weeks ago

Alnwick / Newcastle

They recruit to fill a diversity quota, not if the person would fit the job, aswell as this recruiting people straight out of Uni without any life experience, same goes for officers in the armed forces, creates a decline of quality for years to come

london Brixton

"Is it time to bring in the army Tom.

Army's just as bad, morale all time low, recruitment all time low, no wonder everyone in Armed forces get treated horribly lol (currently serving)"

Yeah great idea! I grew up in belfast and army checkpoints where everywhere, even to go into shopping centres.

Like the police I'm sure most are good but many cases of them shooting people due to mistaken identity or some d*unks shouting abuse at them so them beat them to death.

Is that how you want to live?

By *acavityMan 38 weeks ago

Redditch

"Police performance is measured by numbers and ticks in boxes. It should be measured by how safe it is to walk the streets, but that has been lost long ago."

That's the Peelian principles of policing

The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder

The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions

Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public

The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force

Police seek and preserve public favour not by pandering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law

Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient

Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence

Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary

The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it

Sadly management culture finds easier to count arrests, than lack of crimes.

Tin town

"They recruit to fill a diversity quota, not if the person would fit the job, aswell as this recruiting people straight out of Uni without any life experience, same goes for officers in the armed forces, creates a decline of quality for years to come "

But at least it's equally shit for everyone so thats ok

Depends on your financial status what police service you get. While most people apparently won't even get a police visit for a burglary.

Of your a wealthy footballer like Jack Grealish. You will get 5 patrol cars with dogs, plus a helicopter dispatched right away...

By *rozac_fairyCouple 38 weeks ago

Tamworth

Personally, I can't say I've had a positive encounter with the police. I have recieved 3 separate apologies from 2 different police forces though. So I suppose that's something.

But should we change the rating system?

Why?

Why bother putting funds into a new rating system when those funds could be put towards better training etc and improving the service we're supposed to recieve from the police?

By *ucka39Man 38 weeks ago

Newcastle

"Good policing never makes the news. Is that because it doesn't happen or because people don't report it?

We need the police. They do need to improve but it's no good throwing the baby out with the bathwater "

At times it does get reported but not as often as it should which could be due to the miss handling of the complaints process. A lot of things wouldn't have came up in the open if wasn't evidence and swept under the carpet. Policing needs to be reviewed but can be extremely difficult when there's so much corruption leading to the top and not by all it would cut a lot of the crime rate if wasn't so much corruption and not just policing, courts lawyers and so on....

By *entle_lover_xMan 38 weeks ago

Great Dunmow

How about we change the shit show of politicians who been responsible for the police the last few years? With Priti Stupid, Sewer Brsverman and James No So Cleverly as successive Home Secretaries not really a great surprise. Police, immigration, border control, assylum processing, court system, prisons, crime all “requiring improvement” and “inadequate”.

Would people agree that has a society we are harder to police than say the 70s.

By that I mean. If I was took home to my parents by the police for being in trouble, I would get a rollicking and a few slaps from my dad. From what you hear and read nowadays, the parents will suddenly become the child's defence lawyer.

Is this a reality or a stereotype. You often hear same from the teachers.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 38 weeks ago

Merseyside

No Tom. It's time to change society.

People need to STOP singling out individuals and individual institutions.....

Society has crumbled!

By *loria JamesTV/TS 38 weeks ago

Durham

Its not rocket science, police number go down.. crime goes up.

More police on the streets and route out the bad eggs.

Seriously guys its all over the news.

"Its not rocket science, police number go down.. crime goes up.

Seriously guys its all over the news."

Not rocket science. But are there less rocket scientists too..?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 38 weeks ago

Merseyside

"Its not rocket science, police number go down.. crime goes up.

Seriously guys its all over the news.

Not rocket science. But are there less rocket scientists too..?"

Maybe there are less Rockets

By *erri_kissesTV/TS 38 weeks ago

Islington

"Is Sadiq Khan to blame for this mess ?"

This isn’t a London focussed app. What would national policing have to do with the mayor of London??

By *ig1gaz1Man 38 weeks ago

bradford

"The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder

The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions

Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public

Police seek and preserve public favour not by pandering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law

Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient

Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary

The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it

"

I can say alot of that has gone to the wall police working for corporate bodies

tv license, baliffs energy companies.

thats not being impartial

physical force well thats an interesting one whilst also being impartial.

theres blocking theres pushing but when did they become able to assault peaceful protests or within any protest.

if it gets out of hand its push back and dispers the crowd.

video camera evidence both the police and the public should be able to use the police camera evidence not have it edited to show the police in good light.

video evidence should be available to all partys wether innocent or guilty.

the police we have now wants improving but what we dont want is a private police force thats geared for corporations and geared for the money men.

By *arry monk40Man 38 weeks ago

Telford

You also need to look at years of cuts compared with population increase plus ludicrous recruitment policies imposed by numerous home secretary's you get what you deserve and you got a lot of police with degrees who plan to be in job for 5 yrs

Scunthorpe

"Gold plated pension but this is not about pension...it's about the dire performance of half of all police forces..

Cal

All from the magic money tree.

It is also not unreasonable to..

*expect those currently employed to actually be visible and seen to be policing without fear or favour

*expect the media and all the bandwagon Jumpers to report the successes along with the failures, it can't possibly be as bad as some would have us believe

*expect people to uphold their end of the deal... We can police ourselves better with better and shared values... We just choose not to "

You don't need a magic money tree, you just need a different distribution.

As for the other stuff, I totally agree... but that isn't the argument. In reality, 90% of police officers are totally decent people and do a great job, the rest would be sorted by better funding attracting better people

By *lay 4 uMan 38 weeks ago

bolton

how about how many crimes they solve and not just motorists.

Tin town

What would the new rating system be though?how about how many crimes they solve and not just motorists. "

Can they prevent some crimes too?

london Brixton

What would the new rating system be though?how about how many crimes they solve and not just motorists.

Can they prevent some crimes too? "

Police prevent lots of crimes but how would you know? Funny enough details of how they prevented crimes, names of undercover assests etc aren't viewable in the public domain

london Brixton

What would the new rating system be though?how about how many crimes they solve and not just motorists.

Can they prevent some crimes too? "

Oh and don't give the old why aren't they going after proper crimals instead of motorists. What causes the most deaths in the UK? Road traffic accidents caused by speeding and careless driving

Tin town

Oh and don't give the old why aren't they going after proper crimals instead of motorists. What causes the most deaths in the UK? Road traffic accidents caused by speeding and careless driving"

Not sure where you got your death stats from but 1600 road deaths... Over 5k suicides... Over 70k dementia

Colchester

Root and branch reform is needed.

london Brixton

Oh and don't give the old why aren't they going after proper crimals instead of motorists. What causes the most deaths in the UK? Road traffic accidents caused by speeding and careless driving

Not sure where you got your death stats from but 1600 road deaths... Over 5k suicides... Over 70k dementia "

hmmm preventable deaths, not much police can do about dementia. if a police stop someone for speeding, give him points he may stop speeding and prevent road deaths.

Is that not crime prevention?

Sucide is a very complex issue but if yo u are feeling sucidal and call 999 they will come out to help

Tin town

Not sure where you got your death stats from but 1600 road deaths... Over 5k suicides... Over 70k dementia

hmmm preventable deaths, not much police can do about dementia. if a police stop someone for speeding, give him points he may stop speeding and prevent road deaths.

Is that not crime prevention?

Sucide is a very complex issue but if yo u are feeling sucidal and call 999 they will come out to help"

No dispute on police stopping unsafe driving. Would have more credibility if they didn't hide behind things to catch people speeding, so they raise revenue, rather than actually preventing speeding and dangerous driving by being visible.

"They recruit to fill a diversity quota, not if the person would fit the job, "

Where did you get this from?

There are initiatives in place to increase diversity (A tool kit with 100 hammers would be shit). But each person still has to get their position by merit. Parts of the process are anonymised so that selectors don't know who the person is and their gender and ethnicity isn't shown at that point.

"aswell as this recruiting people straight out of Uni without any life experience, "

In years gone by, the police recruited teenagers. It was not uncommon to have a teenager on patrol.

I would suggest some people leaving Uni have a great base of life skills too. Imagine if people left Uni, started another career and only then did the police try and temp them in with long shifts and a pay cut. Interesting idea!

Gbat

By *wisted999Man 38 weeks ago

North Bucks

They earned their mediocre wage today in London at the Eritrean demo.

By *alleyDaveMan 37 weeks ago

Sheffield

When I was a kid ,growing up in a small village ,we had a local copper, who lived in the police house in our village. Everyone knew him , everyone respected him ,and his job was to police our village. Anyone could knock on his door if they had a problem , or if a crime had been committed. In my 20 years living in my village, there was literally zero crime.

.I now live 5 miles up the road ,have done fir the last 30 years and our local police station was closed 20 years ago ,and is only used for the PCSO who works our area. Our nearest police station is 15 miles away ,and any 999 call response is sent from there .

By *alleyDaveMan 37 weeks ago

Sheffield

And we all know how the plod are more interested in threatening and arresting people for social media posts than actually arresting real criminals.

By *ackformore100Man 37 weeks ago

Tin town

Yes we can see how great a job modern technology has done in preventing crime. Let's do it more.... Or maybe do what works.

Modern tech isn't going to step between wife batterer and wife, stop thief, and hundreds of other criminal activities that require physical presence. Nor effect any kind of arrest. Bloody 70s policing methods.

By *hawn ScottMan 37 weeks ago

london Brixton

Yes we can see how great a job modern technology has done in preventing crime. Let's do it more.... Or maybe do what works.

Modern tech isn't going to step between wife batterer and wife, stop thief, and hundreds of other criminal activities that require physical presence. Nor effect any kind of arrest. Bloody 70s policing methods. "

Unfortuntly modern tech does not yet include a crystal ball. As said before I work with the police sometimes as my job is cyber security but obviously you know more than me about modern technology.

I'm bored of this thread now. Checking out

» Add a new message to this topic