FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tiled floor height

Tiled floor height

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aptiveAudience OP   Man  over a year ago

Nottingham

I’m trying to calculate the height of a tiled floor if I buy a 15mm natural limestone tile to have fitted on a solid, level substrate with UFH.

What size and shape trowel should be used? What additional build up with added to the 15mm tile please?

Thanks everyone

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Nottingham

Wet UFH btw

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hey OP

just make sure you use a 10mm trowel for the adhesive ( always use white adhesive for limestone ) and don’t forget to seal your tiles thoroughly before grouting

Allow around another 3-4mm height difference once laid in bed of adhesive

Use a round notched towel too

Hope that helps

Nottingham

Bingo, that’s great, thanks. Tiles to be back buttered to fill any voids, gaps etc in the tiles yeah?

So… a 10mm round trowel will add 3-4mm build up yeah?

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"I’m trying to calculate the height of a tiled floor if I buy a 15mm natural limestone tile to have fitted on a solid, level substrate with UFH.

What size and shape trowel should be used? What additional build up with added to the 15mm tile please?

Thanks everyone "

you need to lay it all on a flat surface eg 9mm ply so that plus 10mm of tile cement plus thickness of your tile

Nottingham

"I’m trying to calculate the height of a tiled floor if I buy a 15mm natural limestone tile to have fitted on a solid, level substrate with UFH.

Thanks everyone you need to lay it all on a flat surface eg 9mm ply so that plus 10mm of tile cement plus thickness of your tile "

Ply on top of a level screeded floor? How come? Surely I can tile directly to the substrate can’t I?

Thanks everyone you need to lay it all on a flat surface eg 9mm ply so that plus 10mm of tile cement plus thickness of your tile

Ply on top of a level screeded floor? How come? Surely I can tile directly to the substrate can’t I?"

There’s no need to use ply at all, other than increasing your floor height unnecessarily.

There really shouldn’t be any voids underneath a solid limestone tile ( that would normally be the case with travertine ) but if there are then you should back butter the tiles.

Nottingham

Thanks everyone you need to lay it all on a flat surface eg 9mm ply so that plus 10mm of tile cement plus thickness of your tile

Ply on top of a level screeded floor? How come? Surely I can tile directly to the substrate can’t I?

There’s no need to use ply at all, other than increasing your floor height unnecessarily.

There really shouldn’t be any voids underneath a solid limestone tile ( that would normally be the case with travertine ) but if there are then you should back butter the tiles.

"

Thanks, yeah I thought so. I’ve seen limestone listed at 10, 12, 15 and 20mm. I’m guessing that 10 & 12mm will probably be quite fragile or is that not necessarily the case?

More in terms of the fitting process I was thinking as if they are fitted well (no voids/air gaps etc) they should all last forever if sealed and kept well maintained.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Thanks, yeah I thought so. I’ve seen limestone listed at 10, 12, 15 and 20mm. I’m guessing that 10 & 12mm will probably be quite fragile or is that not necessarily the case?

More in terms of the fitting process I was thinking as if they are fitted well (no voids/air gaps etc) they should all last forever if sealed and kept well maintained."

The limestone should last forever, yes. The longevity would depend on the installation quality and what abuse is thrown at the tiles during their use. Obviously thin tiles might be liable to fracture if, for example, a heavy piece of furniture fell on them.

Nottingham

More in terms of the fitting process I was thinking as if they are fitted well (no voids/air gaps etc) they should all last forever if sealed and kept well maintained.

The limestone should last forever, yes. The longevity would depend on the installation quality and what abuse is thrown at the tiles during their use. Obviously thin tiles might be liable to fracture if, for example, a heavy piece of furniture fell on them. "

10 & 12mm too thin you’d say or not really?

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Laytex

» Add a new message to this topic