FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Perform the rep, slow and controlled

Perform the rep, slow and controlled

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Here is another fitness tip that I have and that is that you should slow down on your reps and use proper form, most of the time when I see people train in the gym they are doing the reps far too quickly, you want to go slow, on the way down, the eccentric and fast on the way up the concentric, this will allow you to have a greater time under tension, more mind muscle connection decrease your chance of injury and much more likely to build muscle.

How do you train and do you think about the rep speed? I do that and when you go slow you can feel the muscle fibers really work, it is a great feeling

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When I’m on the weights, I’m a tempo trainer too. Either slow eccentric, pause, explosive concentric…..or vice versa.

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

I've started doing this with my hamstring curls. Noticed I was going through the motions a bit but when I slowed it down, holy crap did I feel it burn!

For lifts I use for strength such as deadlifts, squats, bench, and shoulder press, I mainly just try and focus on moving the weight with good form as opposed to time under tension.

Always slow and controlled on the negative. You have to get the mind muscle connection, then you can make a 20kg dumbbell feel like a 40. Through really isolating a muscle squeezing the muscle and controlling the weight.

"When I’m on the weights, I’m a tempo trainer too. Either slow eccentric, pause, explosive concentric…..or vice versa. "
That is good to mix it up as well, when I am taking the weight down. I make it slow, about 2 to 4 seconds

I stopped training years ago, but when I did, it was the warm up, and cool down that I was advised is important.

By *nam Cara 777Couple  over a year ago

Niche

I use my body weight only in my pilates.

I can get lost in my head sometimes as I find working out quite meditative.

If I get too fast in my reps the only effort is at the pinch/switch as I change direction. It's definitely important to focus on the muscle group I'm working and isolate it or the larger ones take over and defeat the whole purpose of the exercise.

Like you said above, when you get it right it just feels and hits different

"I've started doing this with my hamstring curls. Noticed I was going through the motions a bit but when I slowed it down, holy crap did I feel it burn!

For lifts I use for strength such as deadlifts, squats, bench, and shoulder press, I mainly just try and focus on moving the weight with good form as opposed to time under tension."

That is good and yes, one do feel the burn more by doing slow reps too

By *illloganMan  over a year ago

Essex

"I stopped training years ago, but when I did, it was the warm up, and cool down that I was advised is important."

I've always gone the other way with this, haven't warmed up or cooled down in 10+ years in the gym, never had a single injury.

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

It's much better for muscle growth to be slow and controlled right?

But fast and explosive is better for strength?

As long as good form and full range of motion is maintained of course.

"I stopped training years ago, but when I did, it was the warm up, and cool down that I was advised is important.

I've always gone the other way with this, haven't warmed up or cooled down in 10+ years in the gym, never had a single injury. "

everyone to their own,

"Always slow and controlled on the negative. You have to get the mind muscle connection, then you can make a 20kg dumbbell feel like a 40. Through really isolating a muscle squeezing the muscle and controlling the weight.

"

That is good and yes, one can make 20kg feel like 40kg, by doing that too

"I stopped training years ago, but when I did, it was the warm up, and cool down that I was advised is important."
That is also good .

"I use my body weight only in my pilates.

I can get lost in my head sometimes as I find working out quite meditative.

If I get too fast in my reps the only effort is at the pinch/switch as I change direction. It's definitely important to focus on the muscle group I'm working and isolate it or the larger ones take over and defeat the whole purpose of the exercise.

Like you said above, when you get it right it just feels and hits different "

It is also good to use your body weight and that is a good pilates workout that you are doing and yes, it is all about focusing on the muscle groups. I agree with you that working out is meditative as well

» Add a new message to this topic