FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > When is the best time of the year to buy a car from a garage?

When is the best time of the year to buy a car from a garage?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man  over a year ago

folkestone

I think im going to have to scrap my current car, as there are a few things that are going to be needed done to it to get it through the MOT in may, and with it's age (15 years old), im not sure its worth it.

So im thinking of getting a 2-4 year old second hand car, and wondering if its best to do it in january(car tax runs out) and then not have to worry about paying for car tax or mot if i get one from a garage.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

nice try but the garage will hide the tax and mot in the price you pay even if they say its free

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The best times are the time when the new regpplates are being released. Garages take on more part ex vehicles and need to shift stock.

The garage will give you an on the road price which will include tax. Most aregiven an mot by the garage so you should still get 9 months or so till the next one.

Being firm on what you want and price is good, and if you need finance go through your bank and not their option. They will be earning money from that too.

"nice try but the garage will hide the tax and mot in the price you pay even if they say its free"

Not always the case.

I tend if not a new car and ex demo and definitely make sure the tax is free.

Op depending on your budget ex demo's are worth looking at just before reg change as the garage will only keep them for a short time and usually have all the extras included plus lost the forecourt value/depreciation already.

By *exyasMan  over a year ago

glasgow

There few company's out there just now doing pretty good deals on pre regs cars worth checking out usally end up being same amount you'd be paying a month for a 2nd hand one just an idea tho

Franchised dealers usually have to provide at least 9mths MOT for you to meet manufacturer standards so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Road tax is a funny one...most will try to build it into a deal but few dealers will turn a deal down for the sake of 6mths tax.

As for finance, yes the centre will profit from funding you may take out, but banks don't do it for free either! Compare interest rates and check what a bank loan is secured against...personally I'd rather a loan against a car than my home but that'll depend on your credit status and how much you're borrowing.

As for when is best to buy...there isn't really a good/bad time for used cars...although things like cabriolets will be more expensive in a good summer for obvious reasons! It will come down to how much the car stands the dealer at and how long it's been sat on the forecourt for...a car that's been there 60 days for example may work out cheaper than something they've just got in as they'll want to shift the car before it gets to the end of any stocking plan.

Ex demo's can be really good deals, but they have to be ran by the business for 3 months before resale for tax reason...pre-reg's (ie cars with delivery mileage) can be sold whenever as they aren't used as company cars by the staff so the tax implications are different.

Hope that helps a bit!

Another time is month end as sales managers have targets to reach and so they reduce prices to achieve them.

Also speak to the sales manager direct and not the salesman if trying for more discount. When the salesman says he's away to speak to their manager you request that you speak to him yourself. In reality the sales guy is in the back office having a bit of banter with an admin girl

We have a habit of buying a new car on Xmas Eve. It must be the time of year but the dealership is always empty and they always seem desperate to do a deal.

The same probably applies to anytime around Xmas/New Year. I wouldn't think many people buy cars now.

We have had some real bargains

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

They will take your pants down and go in dry no matter when you part ex your car. They are out to make as much money out of you as possible end of. Having said that the best thing to do is sell your car private and ask them for a cash discount. If I was you I would keep your 15 year old car and invest some money into it (except if its french that is)

By *tarkersandcrutchCouple  over a year ago

TELFORD

depends how cheeky you are? you can get a good deal on anthing as long as you are prepared to haggle, your the one in control with the money, if they are having none of it move on to the next one, you tell them the deal you want, you leave them your number and tell them to ring you if they change thier mind. you've nothing to loose there are hundreds of cars for sale and always a good deal to be had, best of luck. xx

well there is no good or bad time to buy a car from a garage regardless of what people say and i should know been doing it for 26 years now

» Add a new message to this topic