FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ipod info please

Ipod info please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackandkate OP   Couple  over a year ago

Truro

I'm thinking of getting an ipod but can anyone tell me if I have to get my music from itunes, or can I put my own music on via my pc like I do with my other mp3 players?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

You can get the music from your pc, cd, mp3, download etc. you just have to use iTunes to sync to the iPod

Truro

Thank you. I was told I had to buy it from itunes.

I thought that couldn't be right as would be too restrictive.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Make sure you have back up of all your music, cos if you lose it from iTunes, you cannot just download it from the iPod back into your iTunes Library. What will happen is that everything will disappear from the iPod and be replaced by emptyness

"Make sure you have back up of all your music, cos if you lose it from iTunes, you cannot just download it from the iPod back into your iTunes Library. What will happen is that everything will disappear from the iPod and be replaced by emptyness "

Ah you just us the cloud to back up your music or anything else really then if you lose I tunes its only a matter of reinstalling from the cloud

i have a ipod touch for games and apps and a 160gb ipod classic for music which i use in the gym.

ive uploaded all my rock music to it and also purchased music from itunes.

only thing to remember about itunes is that everything you buy is only on hire.

even though you pay for it the download is not transferable to anyone even in death.

bruce willis and other hollywood stars who have spent six figure sums on itunes are in a legal dispute with apple over this issue.

"Make sure you have back up of all your music, cos if you lose it from iTunes, you cannot just download it from the iPod back into your iTunes Library. What will happen is that everything will disappear from the iPod and be replaced by emptyness

Ah you just us the cloud to back up your music or anything else really then if you lose I tunes its only a matter of reinstalling from the cloud "

Ooh, is the cloud part of itunes, must admit I've not updated anything in quite some time. I'll check that out thanks

In Your Bush

And they wonder why pirating is rife

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Ooh, is the cloud part of itunes, must admit I've not updated anything in quite some time. I'll check that out thanks "

the only thing to be aware of is they only give you 5gb of "cloud space" free..... so stuff like pics and music may not stretch that far if you are not careful...

jack.. i have only every downloaded 4 songs from itunes... the rest is all in my music file and i can always back that up onto a memory stick so if anything happens I have a copy......

"

Ooh, is the cloud part of itunes, must admit I've not updated anything in quite some time. I'll check that out thanks

the only thing to be aware of is they only give you 5gb of "cloud space" free..... so stuff like pics and music may not stretch that far if you are not careful...

jack.. i have only every downloaded 4 songs from itunes... the rest is all in my music file and i can always back that up onto a memory stick so if anything happens I have a copy......"

I've just been onto the iTunes tutorial, and it doesn't really explain the cloud thing very well... I got the impression it was only for 'sharing' across different devices I only have the pc (with Library on) and an Ipod... so is the Clou thing of any use? Confuzzled

In Your Bush

"

jack.. i have only every downloaded 4 songs from itunes... the rest is all in my music file and i can always back that up onto a memory stick so if anything happens I have a copy......

I've just been onto the iTunes tutorial, and it doesn't really explain the cloud thing very well... I got the impression it was only for 'sharing' across different devices I only have the pc (with Library on) and an Ipod... so is the Clou thing of any use? Confuzzled "

Sharing across devices is a big part of it. If you only have an iPod you will only benefit from having another back up on the net.

"

I've just been onto the iTunes tutorial, and it doesn't really explain the cloud thing very well... I got the impression it was only for 'sharing' across different devices I only have the pc (with Library on) and an Ipod... so is the Clou thing of any use? Confuzzled

Sharing across devices is a big part of it. If you only have an iPod you will only benefit from having another back up on the net. "

Sorry... technofool here... when you say 'Back up on the net' do you mean the Cloud thingy? or are you meaning something else? Can I not just use a memory stick like Fabio did?

try a programe called copy trans control,,,,,100 times easier than i tunes and u can put mp3 straight on, and hassle pm me

In Your Bush

"

Sharing across devices is a big part of it. If you only have an iPod you will only benefit from having another back up on the net.

Sorry... technofool here... when you say 'Back up on the net' do you mean the Cloud thingy? or are you meaning something else? Can I not just use a memory stick like Fabio did? "

Yes you can do. That is what I do as well.

When you sync your iPod with your pc using iTunes it makes a back up on your pc. Using the cloud service it also gives you the ability to store a back up on the net (cloud) which means if your pc goes tits up, you won't lose everything.

Also if you went and bought another device. iPhone for example, it could automatically download all songs, pics etc. to that.

When you set up the iCloud you basically make a account for yourself which gives you ICloud log in details then in iTunes you choose to back up to the cloud rather than your hard drive so whenever you load some thing into ITunes to transfer to your iPod it updates your iTunes to the cloud I will see if i can find a better tutorial of Tia's I'm not that great at explaining things and I think there is a few good ones on you tube

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

We like Media Monkey instead of I Tunes. Much more user friendly.

The cloud is only free if you've d/l your music from I Tunes, otherwise you have to pay for it.

If you search on google for iCloud tutorial it's comes up with some pretty good ones but if you go on the iCloud for iTunes on the apple site at the bottom of the page there is a simple set up link hope this helps

"We like Media Monkey instead of I Tunes. Much more user friendly.

The cloud is only free if you've d/l your music from I Tunes, otherwise you have to pay for it. "

As far as I know if you own a apple device the cloud is free up to 5 gb

In Your Bush

"We like Media Monkey instead of I Tunes. Much more user friendly.

The cloud is only free if you've d/l your music from I Tunes, otherwise you have to pay for it. "

Nay nay nay Mr Wilkes. I've got 5gb free

thought u had to jailbreak to transfer from ur pc with ipods

In Your Bush

"thought u had to jailbreak to transfer from ur pc with ipods"

They mean songs that don't originate from Itunes (ripped cd's etc.)

Thanks everyone... I have over 40GB so I guess that means memory sticks or discs would be the better option

Cheers for explaining it all.

In Your Bush

"Thanks everyone... I have over 40GB so I guess that means memory sticks or discs would be the better option

Cheers for explaining it all. "

that's a shit load of Abba !

wait so u can drag and drop any tunes on ur pc onto the ipod?

just heard jailbreaking is more for customization and apps not transfering music

my bad

Newcastle and Gateshead

"wait so u can drag and drop any tunes on ur pc onto the ipod? "

yep... so for example... if you google "youtube mp3 converter" in theory you can take any song that had a video on youtube, convert it into an mp3 file, store into your own music file, and download thru itunes onto your ipod....

i have 2000 odd songs done that way... lol

"Thanks everyone... I have over 40GB so I guess that means memory sticks or discs would be the better option

Cheers for explaining it all.

that's a shit load of Abba ! "

AbbaDabbaDoooooo!

Truro

I've got over 100 albums that I've ripped from my cd collection and have currently got it stored in Windows Media.

What's the easiest way to drop it all onto an ipod?

Thanks for the info already offered, it's always great in here

In Your Bush

"wait so u can drag and drop any tunes on ur pc onto the ipod?

yep... so for example... if you google "youtube mp3 converter" in theory you can take any song that had a video on youtube, convert it into an mp3 file, store into your own music file, and download thru itunes onto your ipod....

i have 2000 odd songs done that way... lol "

What a handy tip. Cheers Fabio

Not that I condone doing this. No sir

In Your Bush

"I've got over 100 albums that I've ripped from my cd collection and have currently got it stored in Windows Media.

Thanks for the info already offered, it's always great in here "

Connect to iTunes. Select add music to library, search for folder, add to library then sync (not exact but along those lines )

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I've got over 100 albums that I've ripped from my cd collection and have currently got it stored in Windows Media.

Thanks for the info already offered, it's always great in here "

when you download itunes it may well hunt out any music files you already have on your computer... so it may well do it automatically...

By *eorge17Man  over a year ago

Leven

Jack, have you considered using your phone as an mp3 player. That way you only have 1 device to carry about and if you receive a phone call whilst listening to music your phone will automatically pause music to allow you to take the call then it will resume the song when you finish your call.

You would just need to get a larger capacity micro sd card for your phone and your 100 albums would not even take up 8 gb. You could just drag and drop your music onto your sd card, just like onto a normal mp3 player.

I have an i pod touch but when I got a Nokia N8 phone I never used the i pod again. I now have an i phone 5 and it is fantastic for music and video.

Whatever you decide I would advise getting a decent set of earphones as they make a huge difference.

Truro

I do use my phone as an mp3 player usually and it's great for that purpose.

I've always wanted one of them boomdocks and once it's all loaded with my music it will be like a juke box.

I've looked at a Bose but it's not 3 times as good as the Kitsound Boomdock and it costs 3 times the price.

By *eorge17Man  over a year ago

Leven

"I do use my phone as an mp3 player usually and it's great for that purpose.

I've always wanted one of them boomdocks and once it's all loaded with my music it will be like a juke box.

I've looked at a Bose but it's not 3 times as good as the Kitsound Boomdock and it costs 3 times the price."

I hooked my pc up to my stereo system and play all my music that way and the sound is great. As you say its like a huge jukebox and don't have to change cds all the time - great for parties.

» Add a new message to this topic