FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Counterfeit £20 note from ATM!

Counterfeit £20 note from ATM!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he-Hosiery-Gent OP   Man  over a year ago

Everywhere

Title says it all.

And I'm having plenty of problems trying to get my money back!

FSO may well be getting a letter at this rate..

Happened to anyone else?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Merseyside

Go and spend it silly

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

best me to it - most places wont even check

Countries been flooded with them since January and also pound coins

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

You have to report it - the banks need to look at how these are getting into the ATMs.

you know that shop where you can't stand the bloke on the other side of the counter?

spend it in there

I didn't think you could get fakes in an ATM. I would have thought they'd verify notes?

Everywhere

"Go and spend it silly "

...that's how I found out it was fake!

I've already been to two banks to try and exchange. It was hard enough just getting it back off them!

Even been back to Co-op (where the ATM was) and argued my case.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Don't forget it is illegal to knowingly tender a counterfeit note. Is it worth it for £20?

Everywhere

"I didn't think you could get fakes in an ATM. I would have thought they'd verify notes?"

I've been reading up about it. Technically you shouldn't, but it can and does happen.

"Go and spend it silly

I've already been to two banks to try and exchange. It was hard enough just getting it back off them!

Even been back to Co-op (where the ATM was) and argued my case. "

the banks are never going to accept responsibility for it and you can't prove where it came from. which leaves you two options. bin it or spend it..3 actually,take it to a police station

Oh my god OP, what a coincidence, this has happened to me on Thursday too.

I withdrew a small amount of cash out of my savings account, handed my book over to counter staff and they gave me two 10s and two 5s.

As it was only a small amount I was easily able to trace back money I spent. I'd had no other notes and when I came to give the last £10 they guy in the newsagents took it off me and informed me it was a forgery.

The bank was two doors down from the newsagent so I went in and told them. They were adamant that their staff would never pass a forged note and the newsagent hadn't checked it properly and it probably wasn't a fake. As luck would have it the newsagent came into the bank whilst I was still there, the staff checked the note and ascertained it was a fake. They then went on to tell me I was mistaken and must have had another note in my purse as their staff are professionals and would never do it. I went off on one, I am like a dog with a bone when I know I'm right and told them they should have detected it as they handle cash all day.

I reported the incident to Head Office and was given a replacement £10 and £50 compensation.

It wasn't the money lost I was annoyed about, I could have withstood losing a tenner but it could have made a big difference to someone else and its disgraceful that banks could pass on a forged note

Use it at a self service till in a supermarket that should get rid of it

Everywhere

"Go and spend it silly

Even been back to Co-op (where the ATM was) and argued my case.

the banks are never going to accept responsibility for it and you can't prove where it came from. which leaves you two options. bin it or spend it..3 actually,take it to a police station"

Taking it to a police station seems to be more trouble than it's worth, from what I've read on t'internet!

Everywhere

"Use it at a self service till in a supermarket that should get rid of it

"

wonder if the system/till would reject... might be a go-er that!

Everywhere

"Oh my god OP, what a coincidence, this has happened to me on Thursday too.

I withdrew a small amount of cash out of my savings account, handed my book over to counter staff and they gave me two 10s and two 5s.

As it was only a small amount I was easily able to trace back money I spent. I'd had no other notes and when I came to give the last £10 they guy in the newsagents took it off me and informed me it was a forgery.

The bank was two doors down from the newsagent so I went in and told them. They were adamant that their staff would never pass a forged note and the newsagent hadn't checked it properly and it probably wasn't a fake. As luck would have it the newsagent came into the bank whilst I was still there, the staff checked the note and ascertained it was a fake. They then went on to tell me I was mistaken and must have had another note in my purse as their staff are professionals and would never do it. I went off on one, I am like a dog with a bone when I know I'm right and told them they should have detected it as they handle cash all day.

I reported the incident to Head Office and was given a replacement £10 and £50 compensation.

It wasn't the money lost I was annoyed about, I could have withstood losing a tenner but it could have made a big difference to someone else and its disgraceful that banks could pass on a forged note "

Interesting....

Which bank was that?

The Halifax.

For them to so readily give me compensation, I believe after the guy took the fake note in they checked their tills and found others. Who knows.

You mustnt try and pass the note on, I'm surprised you were given it back and legally stores are obliged to keep them to prevent the further occurence of commiting a criminal act.

it is an offence to pass this on and what if the note was passed to a pensioner who couldn't afford to take the loss. Don't pass it on. Report it to the bank

go into your own branch tell them what cash machine it came out of and they will replace it if they dont get intouch with trading standards it happend to our daughter a few months ago and natwest who she banks with changed it with out any problems

Everywhere

"go into your own branch tell them what cash machine it came out of and they will replace it if they dont get intouch with trading standards it happend to our daughter a few months ago and natwest who she banks with changed it with out any problems"

This is what friends and family had said. No biggie. Take it to your bank and they will exchange it, but they're having none of it. I tried the other bank I bank with, too - Halifax - with the same results.

Spoken on the phone to Co-op (whose ATM it was), and have been told, to send the note with a copy of my transaction receipt and a letter, to them. She seemed pretty adamant I would be refunded.

Little wary of sending the £20 note off though after the bank shenanigans...

I'll try Trading Standards, if this doesn't work.

Thanks

Everywhere

"The Halifax.

For them to so readily give me compensation, I believe after the guy took the fake note in they checked their tills and found others. Who knows.

You mustnt try and pass the note on, I'm surprised you were given it back and legally stores are obliged to keep them to prevent the further occurence of commiting a criminal act.

it is an offence to pass this on and what if the note was passed to a pensioner who couldn't afford to take the loss. Don't pass it on. Report it to the bank "

They came out with all that spiel.

So, I played them at their own game, citing incompetence on the bank's part and why the hell should I have to take the hit, type of thing.

They soon ended up giving me it back.

Everywhere

wonder if the system/till would reject... might be a go-er that! "

With hindsight, I just wouldn't be able to do that... it just doesn't sit right with me.

I paid for a small amount of shopping which only came to a few quid so paid for it with the change in my pocket. Looking through the coins I noticed one of the pound coins was an obvious fake. I mentioned it to the young lad on the check out but he just laughed and took it anyway. I've got one at home that I keep to show people cos it's such a shit fake

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

I know it would be more trouble and expense to go to over 20 quid than it would have been worth but it must have had the tellers prints on it and been provable that the teller had indeed handled the note.

"The Halifax.

it is an offence to pass this on and what if the note was passed to a pensioner who couldn't afford to take the loss. Don't pass it on. Report it to the bank

They came out with all that spiel.

So, I played them at their own game, citing incompetence on the bank's part and why the hell should I have to take the hit, type of thing.

They soon ended up giving me it back. "

put it this way to the bank

they are resposible for looking after the money you deposit in your bank acount

when you go to an atm you are withdrawing money from the account they are looking after on your behalf

when you remove money from an ATM it comes from a holding account that money is the replaced by taking money from you account

if when you go to an atm it gives you a dodgy £20 and is the replaced by a real £20 note from your account its called money laundering and that is ilegal and as the banks control the transfer of cash its there resposabilty

they will however say but its done by computer so now money changes hand thats BULL you put money in you take money out its the banks problem not yours and if they still refuse to sort out the problem contact your local paper they love stories like this and the bank will soon back down

wonder if the system/till would reject... might be a go-er that! "

A self service till wouldn't accept it x

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

In the 90's I used to be a street vendor & some of the £1 coins I was offered wouldn't look out of place hanging from a Christmas Tree

I used to be able to spot a fake twenty by its feel so best just report it, or risk looking a fool when you go to pay for something and get caught.

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

"I know it would be more trouble and expense to go to over 20 quid than it would have been worth but it must have had the tellers prints on it and been provable that the teller had indeed handled the note."

I was spouting crap again (blaming the drink) you cant get prints from an ATM lol.

Everywhere

"I know it would be more trouble and expense to go to over 20 quid than it would have been worth but it must have had the tellers prints on it and been provable that the teller had indeed handled the note.

I was spouting crap again (blaming the drink) you cant get prints from an ATM lol."

Bloody d*unks!

» Add a new message to this topic